Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Shats Basoon posted:

The inflation report is going to be positive me thinks

hope so. took some gains on options expiring this week but i still have a hefty bag of losers that could use a boost.

i was net positive for the year back in july. took a nice gut punch last month.

now im only 4k off my portfolios all time high

feels good when all the indexes are down 10-12% YTD and I’m green for the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shats Basoon posted:

The inflation report is going to be positive me thinks

Judging by the current pre-market numbers I'm going to say it was not positive.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Sand Monster posted:

Judging by the current pre-market numbers I'm going to say it was not positive.

It was very positive towards the negative

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Meh, I'm probably going to just use this opportunity to buy more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A red day for everything but $GOON :v:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ohhh fuuuuuccckk

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hadlock posted:

Bought another TQQQ put, during this mornings rally, this time with my winnings, 9/16P at $26.50

Are you still holding this? Should be a good day lol

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

A red day for everything but $GOON :v:

and SQQQ

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I dont have any single stock thats doing that poorly so thats something I guess

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

same. have been up big the last few days. took just a little haircut today.

tbf i have no tech tickers in the ol’ portfolio

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This whole loving thing feels like a scam this past year.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
oof. Yesterday was a bad day to awaken from my trading slumber and purchase a shitload of calls.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Garfu posted:

oof. Yesterday was a bad day to awaken from my trading slumber and purchase a shitload of calls.

goddamn dude. rip.

to be fair, really expected the number to be good (although everyone else did too, the expectation was very low). In hindsight, of course landlords were jacking rents up this month.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/EffMktHype/status/1569855667107921920

great thread playing out in real time. smart bonds dude decides to mess around with bloomberg terminal to backtest equity strategies after a drop like today. fun read to see a small slice of what a terminal can do and it’s not over yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fireside Nut posted:

Are you still holding this? Should be a good day lol

Yes, lol. It's been a minute, had a minor emergency and kind of forgot about it until just now

+700% return today :eyepop: almost break even

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/EffMktHype/status/1569855667107921920

great thread playing out in real time. smart bonds dude decides to mess around with bloomberg terminal to backtest equity strategies after a drop like today. fun read to see a small slice of what a terminal can do and it’s not over yet.

Man, I could never figure out bloomberg to get this kind of poo poo done. My grad school sucked.

This was the tweet I got served right below your link.

https://twitter.com/WillManidis/status/1569763363357396994

a) What are we all doing dicking around with stocks
b) I don't think the bottom is in for CVNA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SPY 0DTE puts all day long through dec 31 :confuoot:

Probably should go check the fluids and battery, kick the tires on the old SPY bottom guess-o-meter chart

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hadlock posted:

Yes, lol. It's been a minute, had a minor emergency and kind of forgot about it until just now

:cheersbird:

(hope everything is ok)

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Congrats! Nice work.

Regarding investing in Russian Companies, found this link on twitter - a handy Wikipedia link to "2022 Russian Businessmen Mystery Deaths" - looks like being a Russian executive is one of the most dangerous jobs on earth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_businessmen_mystery_deaths

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ARTPUP posted:

Congrats! Nice work.

Regarding investing in Russian Companies, found this link on twitter - a handy Wikipedia link to "2022 Russian Businessmen Mystery Deaths" - looks like being a Russian executive is one of the most dangerous jobs on earth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_businessmen_mystery_deaths

The guy who got toad poisoned by a Jamaican shaman in a Moscow basement is :discourse:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rail strike coming Thursday night at midnight, maybe

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Baddog posted:

Man, I could never figure out bloomberg to get this kind of poo poo done. My grad school sucked.

This was the tweet I got served right below your link.

https://twitter.com/WillManidis/status/1569763363357396994

a) What are we all doing dicking around with stocks
b) I don't think the bottom is in for CVNA

There is just no way this can be true.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Don't know about that validity of that specific tweet, but it's a fact that Carvana can wind up buying a used car for more than its owner paid for it.

https://www.theverge.com/22923871/carvana-pandemic-used-car-prices-sold-online-chip-shortage

Carvana’s Tom Taira, who led product at competitor TrueCar for over a decade posted:

I’ve never seen a $25,000 error by any stretch of the imagination, but on a monthly basis, there are a handful of $3,000—$5,000 errors that we make because the data’s not correct.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Oh, I know that's a thing. I now that some vehicles are purchase for more than 'kbb' or 'local value' too but that's fixed in selling the vehicle to a different market. Full disclosure I work for Carvana.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Diamond hands $ADBE through earnings tomorrow or cash out? By far the most I've ever made on options but idk if I can keep holding on without having a heart attack

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sterster posted:

Oh, I know that's a thing. I now that some vehicles are purchase for more than 'kbb' or 'local value' too but that's fixed in selling the vehicle to a different market. Full disclosure I work for Carvana.

Carvana clearly just needs to get scrappier

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Diamond hands $ADBE through earnings tomorrow or cash out? By far the most I've ever made on options but idk if I can keep holding on without having a heart attack

Good enough to screenshot good enough to sell

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

I'd cash out personally. Overnight movements has burned too much lately, better to take a double/triple and fight another day than gamble for a homerun and come up swinging. I also thought yesterday would be a big day with inflation data coming in positive and welp it was the worst day in 2 years

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Well drat missed HKD 47-300 run today

downout
Jul 6, 2009

sterster posted:

I sold my car to carvana for a 3k markup. I'm assuming they had the numbers to know they could drag it to another market and sell for another 4 or 5K.

Is that roughly how it works?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Carvana clearly just needs to get scrappier

LMAO *tips hat*. Any more scrappier and there might have to be more layoffs. Don't worry about the execs preaching work from office and buying homes in Cali. Or the shady CEO. It's all good.

downout posted:

I sold my car to carvana for a 3k markup. I'm assuming they had the numbers to know they could drag it to another market and sell for another 4 or 5K.

I suppose it's not directly said in the text you quoted. But that's the gist. Given a 2019 honda accord with X miles and this specific color and trim levels we can buy at ($Y - $SomeAmout) because we know we can sell it for Y.

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 14, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

downout posted:

It could be more or less car arbitrage. It could also be a model that says "lose money now for marketshare" then become a monopoly, which tends to be the model of every tech/startup/dirsuptor.

The problem is if you go bankrupt before you become a monopoly it doesn't matter how much theoretical internet money you would've made some day.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Hadlock posted:

Rail strike coming Thursday night at midnight, maybe
Last minute attempts to offer a compromise out of Congress failed. Look out below if the strike hits.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

pseudanonymous posted:

It could be more or less car arbitrage.

Carbitrage!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Last minute attempts to offer a compromise out of Congress failed. Look out below if the strike hits.

I’m seeing that talks were successful. Which is it?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Cacafuego posted:

I’m seeing that talks were successful. Which is it?

Whynotboth.gif

Pop on the white house statement of deal reached. Flat because no actual details from white house, and no joint statement from participating unions.
Drop on the realization the unions members have to vote yes/no still.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Shats Basoon posted:

I'd cash out personally. Overnight movements has burned too much lately, better to take a double/triple and fight another day than gamble for a homerun and come up swinging. I also thought yesterday would be a big day with inflation data coming in positive and welp it was the worst day in 2 years

$ADBE is down 7-8% this morning, I'm cashing the gently caress out out as soon as the markets open

edit: I'm out, I can definitely see how people get addicted to options trading.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 15, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

$ADBE is down 7-8% this morning, I'm cashing the gently caress out out as soon as the markets open

edit: I'm out, I can definitely see how people get addicted to options trading.

I'm not going to encourage degen plays but there are plenty that absolutely addict people.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sold my call for an $8 profit, expecting the eow price to settle higher than my call

Gonna buy another put for ~2 weeks out though, at about the same price

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Interesting tidbit from Matt Levine's newsletter today...

quote:

Meme-stock IR

RCI Hospitality Holdings Inc. (ticker: RICK) is a US publicly traded company that operates “ adult entertainment nightclubs” under names like Rick’s Cabaret, Scarlett’s Cabaret, Temptations Adult Cabaret, Foxy’s Cabaret, Kappa Men’s Club, etc. We have talked about RCI previously because this year it was trying “to generate buzz among retail traders and boost its slumping stock price” by doing meme-stock stuff like taking retail questions on earnings calls, talking about non-fungible tokens, etc.[7]

Yesterday its chief financial officer, Bradley Chhay, disclosed that he sold 69 shares of RCI stock at a price of $69.69 per share. As a person who writes on the internet, I believe that I am professionally obligated to say: nice. Sixty-nine is the internet sex number.

Chhay cleared about $4,800 on the sales; he has about 3,500 shares left (worth about $250,000) and gets paid about $500,000 per year. It is possible that these stock sales were to pay for a kitchen renovation or whatever, but my assumption is that he thought it would be funny to sell 69 shares at $69.69, so he did. Presumably he used a limit order. “If this stock hits $69.69, you know what to do,” he told his broker. (“Nice,” the broker replied.) If you are the CFO of a publicly traded strip-club company and you sell 69 shares of stock at $69.69 then I guess retail investors will say “that guy is cool” and buy your stock. (Also, uh, I guess I will write about it?) This is how capital markets work now, I’m sorry.

Everyone I know who has worked as a stripper hates the Rick's franchises with a seething passion.