Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My(M23) girlfriend’s(F25) mother tried to embarrass me in front of her church and when it back fired she banned me from stepping foot in her house.

quote:

So I started dating my GF 5 months ago. She’s religious no sex until marriage and I’m atheist I was raised in church but as I got older I established my own views I just don’t believe god is real. I know very unlikely couple I don’t fully know how it came about either but it works for us. Around our 3 month mark she wanted me to meet her mother but warned me that her mother is much more religious than her. The first time I met her I actually went to church and we had Sunday dinner and that’s when I revealed to her family that I don’t believe in god and her mother became visibly upset calling me a faker and saying how could I even go to church and be in her house if I’m not a god fearing man and even accused me of trying to taint her daughter say. It was very tense and sense then her mom didn’t like me.

Now my gf and I had an agreement that I would go to church with her twice out of the month I did it because of course I respected her beliefs and I know how happy me being there with her made her, even if I did not care to hear what they were saying. A week ago her mother invited me to church with them and at their church they have a segment where they welcome all of the visitors and let them introduce themselves. Her mother took that opportunity to tell me to stand up and introduce myself and let the whole church know that I did not believe in god. I was very embarrassed I did not like being called out, but I stood my ground and said I don’t believe in god I’m only here for my gf I know how much it means for me to be here and support her. And the preacher said “rather it be god or love I’m happy you’re here and you’re welcome any time you like”. Safe to say her mother did not like that and when we got back to her home she kicked me out and said it was very disrespectful for me to be there and that I was a faker for dating her daughter and going to church. When honestly I just enjoy being there for my gf there’s no I’ll intent it doesn’t bother me when she prays, I’ve never once faked anything I’ve done for her the wild part is her mother is the only person in her family who has an issue with me. She supports and understands me the same way I do for her. She’s the only girl I’ve ever dated that feels right for me because there are no crazy expectations it just nice and peaceful besides her mom. I know this is also hurting my gf too she cries and prays about it.

Commas, my dude.

Also, :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

oh you deliberately humiliated me on my first day at work in order to undermine my career, how thoughtful and sweet of you

I don't know if this is a weird American thing or not but even the stuffiest place I worked at would have been amused by such a gift to a new manager.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I don't know if this is a weird American thing or not but even the stuffiest place I worked at would have been amused by such a gift to a new manager.

Well he did say finance so it's probably a joyless hellhole.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

We got a powerful contender in the Petra Jr division:

AITA for literally showing my dad how he behaves everyday when he gets home from work?

quote:

My f16 father m46 is the "breadwinner" while mom is a sahm. She handles everything around the house like cooking, mopping, washing, laundry, etc. I'm the oldest and I try to help but really there's only so much I can do while my dad just gets home at the end of the day and literally complains about everything. like how the carpet isn't clean or how the food is cold.

As a result; I'd have to listen to a huge argument daily between him and mom. It's exhausting but honestly...I think that my dad is in the wrong here. I tried talking to him to get him to see how his behavior is but to no avail.

So what I did was pick a day off for him and pretend to act like him. I put together an outfit that looked like a suit and put black tape over my lips to look like a mustache. at 6pm. I went inside the house. Shouted "I'M HOME!!" then sat next to him in the living room and started kicking my shoes while complaining about the state of the house at the top of my lungs. He glanced at me confused asking what I was doing. I ignored him then started yelling about the carpet being dirty, shower not ready, the kids needing to be quiet and so on.

He kept staring while mom and my siblings laughed. My youngest brother kept pointing towards me saying "this is daddy". I then proceeded to yell about dinner then berated my mom for not preparing ut before time. My dad stopped me and in a serious tone asked what I was doing. I turned to him and said "WHAT?! CAN'T A MAN EFFING REST AFTER WORKING LONG HOURS!!" in the most macho voice I could muster. My dad got the hint because this was the common phrase he uses daily. He went quiet and avoided looking at me. I stopped the act and told him I was trying to show him what he's like everyday when he comes home from work. He said nothing, just went outside and refused to speak to me.

Later he went on about how I "mocked" and invalidated him. That he does work hard and me doing this was disrespectful and invalidating. Mom said it was funny but also thought I hurt my dad's feelings and I could've gotten the message across some other way instead.

AITA?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for literally showing my dad how he behaves everyday when he gets home from work?

100% The rear end in a top hat

For not recording and uploading it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

We got a powerful contender in the Petra Jr division:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well he did say finance so it's probably a joyless hellhole.

I work in banking at a stuffy, conservative institution but here we would probably make merciless fun of them for about two days and then it would drop except for the occasional side comment. But it wouldn’t hurt anyone’s career and it might actually help humanize the manager to the staff.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Barudak posted:

This is America, he can't afford one

I know this is from pages ago but:

I once fell off a ladder changing a light bulb and the one cat made the ladder wobble from the two chasing eachother. I fell bashed my head on the table. Woke up I guess 10 minutes later wiped the blood off the table and on the ladder (no clue how it got there). Then I sat on the couch for 30 minutes trying to decide if I should go to the hospital. I did but I took a cab because our insurance doesn't cover ambulance rides. 7 staples and two stiches in my head. Still have a cool scar above my right ear from it and can easily be seen when I cut the hair on the sides and back of my head super short.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Baronjutter posted:

There's been way too many similar stories of people just dumping their kids and running away. What the gently caress. Also society in general needs way more childcare options.

Just board the kids at one of those pet hotels.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baronjutter posted:

There's been way too many similar stories of people just dumping their kids and running away. What the gently caress. Also society in general needs way more childcare options.

When I was seventeen my sister just knewI was lying about having a Scout function one weekend so she dropped her kids (7, 4, 1) off on my parents' front stoop while I was at least an hour away setting up a tent. My parents were still at work so she's lucky the neighbors were used to her being insane and just invited the kids into their house and called my brother-in-law.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for demanding my roommate's girlfriend repay because she drank all my camel milk?

quote:

I really enjoy camel milk, unfortunately its very expensive. I am able to get a discount since i know the producers, but it still costs me about 40 Australian dollars per liter. In other places it can cost like 90 per liter.

You guys remember the Miss Piggy story from like 5 years ago? Yeah I'm in a similar situation. My roommates girlfriend acts an actual pig, she makes actual pig noises and thinks its funny. She makes messes she won't clean up and eats my food. I've repeatedly told my roommate to get her girlfriend to stop but he doesn't do anything. I've seen her eating my food like 4 times and she's always like "I'm sorry I can't help it I'm so hungry". I called her a fat gently caress the last time she ate my food that should stop eating and get on a diet and she cried and my roommate was loving pissed, we argued and our neighbors threatened to call the police.

So I'm in the process of getting a mini fridge which I can lock. I shouldn't have to do this, its loving ridiculous. I had the camel milk in the regular fridge, I had nowhere else to put it and I come home and I see that she uses most of the container to pour it in some cereal. SHe then just throws the rest of the milk away. I was so loving pissed I was cursing and screaming at her and she has the audacity to just say "its just milk I'll go buy some".

I show her the price and she refuses saying I shouldn't waste so much money on milk. I threaten to call the police so she hands me 60 dollars and leaves saying I'm a massive jerk. My roommate chases after her.

I told my uncle who is the landlord and he decided to start the eviction process for my roommate who is now loving pissed at me. AITA?

I feel like someone just won a really specific BINGO card.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I know this is a few pages back but the leap-year birthday story is maddening. What an rear end in a top hat manager and strange company.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for demanding my roommate's girlfriend repay because she drank all my camel milk?

This is really funny because last I heard, camel milk is unpasteurized, so lol at paying a premium to pay Hershey Squirts Russian roulette.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my friend she overstepped with who she sat me next to at her wedding?

look, you're being very ungrateful after i went through all that trouble to get you seated next to Pushy McRapevibes
The bride can either have friends, or this guy.

e:f,b

AmiYumi posted:

Lady, she’s only friends with one of you, and it’s the guy she tried to help pull off “The Implication” with

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Jesus loving christ your uncle is the landlord and you put up with her blatantly eating your food more then once? I mean, gently caress landlords and all but you've got no reason to put up with abuse and lovely treatment in your own home when you can pull that card.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Counterpoint, starting a new job is stressful and I wouldn't want to have to deal with anything I'd have to drag down to the parking garage and struggle to fit into my car.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dismember a human sized stuffed animal to throw out. I cut up a futon once and it wasn't as easy or as much fun as I'd hoped.

Yesterday at work (library) I had to reassure a construction worker that people still read books. He was talking about how people these don't even read anymore, just hit a button on a screen (very "Father, I cannot click the book"). It was annoying and I should have asked him what kind of books he likes because it sounded like he didn't do much reading either. Then today I read this online:

quote:

I’ve moved on because frankly they don’t care about nothing but what’s right in front of them. They’re plugged into the artificial things in this world not kindness, love and connection. < meta verse <. The world wants you to be addicted to AI machine aka the CERN. They want the family unit gone. And my family – They’re disconnected period!

Do they mean CERN (Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire), the particle physics lab that has the large hadron collider? What a lunatic. No wonder people around them keep pulling out their phones as an excuse to end conversations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So this "friend" brought OP along to some long-haul trip in which she acted as the "friend"'s live-in maid, and ended up being forced to deal with someone repeatedly sexually propositioning her and harassing her, at the "friend"'s behest? This is borderline human trafficking.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Yesterday at work (library) I had to reassure a construction worker that people still read books. He was talking about how people these don't even read anymore, just hit a button on a screen (very "Father, I cannot click the book"). It was annoying and I should have asked him what kind of books he likes because it sounded like he didn't do much reading either. Then today I read this online:

Do they mean CERN (Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire), the particle physics lab that has the large hadron collider? What a lunatic. No wonder people around them keep pulling out their phones as an excuse to end conversations.

Oh you mean the Antichrist Machine? I hadn't realized we'd moved on to it wanting us to only care about Computer.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

trickybiscuits posted:

Counterpoint, starting a new job is stressful and I wouldn't want to have to deal with anything I'd have to drag down to the parking garage and struggle to fit into my car.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dismember a human sized stuffed animal to throw out. I cut up a futon once and it wasn't as easy or as much fun as I'd hoped.

Yeah, giving me a huge random thing that I'd have to haul around, store, and figure out what the hell to do with would annoy me no matter how well-intentioned the gesture is.

There's also the fact that a female manager in a traditionally male-dominated profession has probably had trouble being taken seriously in previous jobs. So while she's trying to find her feet in a new situation, he's giving the whole office, including any assholes who are likely to be biased against her in the first place, an excuse to laugh at her.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Man dang ol kids these days Switching from a god dang MacBook Air to the large hadron collider. when I was a boy the gosh dang theory of relativity was good enough for us. now you got quantum this and higgs boson that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

trickybiscuits posted:

This attitude kind of annoys me, because it assumes that everyone looking at a phone screen is just looking at twitter/tiktok/Instagram.

You can install e reader apps on phones, and you can very comfortably read a book on your phone. My kindle died recently and I haven't bothered to replace the battery yet because reading on my phone is just about as handy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pookah posted:

This attitude kind of annoys me, because it assumes that everyone looking at a phone screen is just looking at twitter/tiktok/Instagram.

You can install e reader apps on phones, and you can very comfortably read a book on your phone. My kindle died recently and I haven't bothered to replace the battery yet because reading on my phone is just about as handy.

I have an e-reader and I have been told that I should be reading 'real books', both on the forums (though just one guy, and several years ago; I know it isn't a majority opinion) and in public. This apparently includes reading the exact same book in physical format instead, which is better, somehow.

I'm going to assume anyone who complains about people 'not even reading' because they 'have a screen' does not differentiate between phones and e-readers.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I read 2/3 of the illuminatus trilogy on my phone, and it was fine.

Bought a secondhand copy for the last third because huh turns out I liked it

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

DemoneeHo posted:

My(M23) girlfriend’s(F25) mother tried to embarrass me in front of her church and when it back fired she banned me from stepping foot in her house.

Commas, my dude.

Also, :owned:

This one is funny to me because the pastor in the story is clearly a lot smarter than the mother. Like, if you are religious and want the atheist to convert, how exactly do you expect to do that if you shame them and prevent them from coming into your church? The pastor clearly understands that this atheist is willingly attending services, the best place to slowly convert somebody, and is dating a congregant. Don't drive them away idiot!

You save the shaming for after they've converted. Duh.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you really want some hot takes, ask the "Physical books only!" crowd their take on people who primarily use audio books. Obviously considerably different from reading, but hoo boy, do they let the ableism fly free.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you really want some hot takes, ask the "Physical books only!" crowd their take on people who primarily use audio books. Obviously considerably different from reading, but hoo boy, do they let the ableism fly free.

AITA for telling my GF listening to audio books does not count as reading?

quote:

When me and GF met being a book nerd was a big part of her identity. She read regularly and even volunteered at her local library. Books were kinda her life and she even had ambitions to work for the library. As an avid reader my self, it is one of the things that attracted me to her. Fast forward a year and a half or so later and I can't even remember the last time I saw her reading a book.

A username of hers came up in conversation, and the username references her being a book nerd. I pointed out that she doesn't read anymore and therefore is not a book nerd, and shoud make a different username. She defended herself saying that she is still a book nerd because she regularly listens to audiobooks. I tried to explain to her that this is not the same, because listening to something doesn't take as much brain power as reading it does. Audiobooks are like the cheap easy version of a real book. I don't thinks someone who listens to bools can classify themselves as a reader. I even told her I felt she was some what dishonest when we first started dating since she made it seems like books were so important to her, but now she doesn't read at all. She got mad at me and said I'm pretentious and a "paper snob".

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
paper book snob is a decent username.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

odiv posted:

AITA for telling my GF listening to audio books does not count as reading?

I would love for the schmuck to try and explain how he came to the conclusion that reading something somehow takes more brain power than listening to it. i'll bet you ¥50 this dude's explanation does not include discussion of the temporal lobe or visual cortex.

it takes a special kind of stupid to just assume you're right as indicated by the phrase "I tried to explain to her". no you didn't try to figure out whether it uses more brain power you just knew you were right. I mean measuring the relative brain power of different tasks is the easy part, right? The hard part is explaining it to your girlfriend who dang it just won't listen!

Sentence: sit in the corner with the dunce cap on and read the collective works of Nietzsche in the original German. that'll show her your superior brain power!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I would love for the schmuck to try and explain how he came to the conclusion that reading something somehow takes more brain power than listening to it. i'll bet you ¥50 this dude's explanation does not include discussion of the temporal lobe or visual cortex.

it takes a special kind of stupid to just assume you're right as indicated by the phrase "I tried to explain to her". no you didn't try to figure out whether it uses more brain power you just knew you were right. I mean measuring the relative brain power of different tasks is the easy part, right? The hard part is explaining it to your girlfriend who dang it just won't listen!

Sentence: sit in the corner with the dunce cap on and read the collective works of Nietzsche in the original German. that'll show her your superior brain power!

Bless people who can listen to audiobooks, my attention wanders too much. I wish I were wired differently.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scipiotik posted:

Bless people who can listen to audiobooks, my attention wanders too much. I wish I were wired differently.
Audiobook apps on smartphones let you speed up the playback while also removing long pauses and adjusting the output so it doesn't sound like it's being read by a chipmunk, give that a try.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Audiobooks are great, I go through a shitload of them while doing busywork or videogames or whatever. Honestly, as a long time book lover, the only time I've touched a printed book in years is when the power's out, audiobooks and kindle get me through way more stuff than I ever would with printed ones nowadays.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
E-ink books are objectively better than paper books. I'm trying to explain this to yins.

They take up less space, they remember where you left off, new books are delivered to you near-instantly, you can prop them up and read while lying down, they have built-in lights, you can have them remember your place across devices, and they have built-in dictionaries.

To be fair, they don't smell as good and it's harder to flip back a few pages to find a spot when you want to refer to something in the past. Also once I tried to dogear the page and it never worked again.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

captainOrbital posted:

E-ink books are objectively better than paper books. I'm trying to explain this to yins.

They take up less space, they remember where you left off, new books are delivered to you near-instantly, you can prop them up and read while lying down, they have built-in lights, you can have them remember your place across devices, and they have built-in dictionaries.

To be fair, they don't smell as good and it's harder to flip back a few pages to find a spot when you want to refer to something in the past. Also once I tried to dogear the page and it never worked again.

also you can pirate all your books. not that i would ever be so unscrupulous, of course, but it might be of interest to unsavory sorts

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I was a "paper books only" person for a looong time but I got back into ebooks around the start of 2020 shelter-in-place because I moved in with somebody else and didn't have space for a ton of books anymore but still wanted to read like five things at once. E-readers rule for stuff like The Baroque Cycle where every book is like 1500 pages long because I can actually read it in bed without dropping it on my face. Also the little "click the superscript and the foot/endnote pops up" thing is super handy because otherwise I'm terrible about actually flipping around to read those things.

Also lol at audiobooks being "easier" than reading; I can't pay attention nearly well enough to retain things from an audiobook, I need to be able to go back and read the same paragraph five times in a row.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Another elevator story

AITA for not taking the next elevator when a mom with 7 children demanded it of me?

quote:

A neighbour of mine has 7 children and they are all under the age of 9. I have seen her many times,and she always demands people take the next elevator because “she has kids who need to get home.” She has physically shoved into the elevators and forced people out, including my elderly father.

I was on my way home from work - I take public transit - and she was on the bus with all kids. They were screaming and running up and down the aisle; basically making such a scene that the driver asked her to have the kids sit down before they get hurt. Sure enough, one of the kids was spinning around one of the poles and bumped her head as we were going over the train tracks near my place and started screaming. She looked like she was physically okay, no blood, not even a red mark, but she screeched the rest of the ride to the building.

I was first in the building and hit the elevator button. She came in with her double stroller and her gaggle of children running around her as I stepped into the elevator and held the door for her. She told me that I would have to get out and wait for the next one. I said “excuse me?” She heavy sighed at me and said “my stroller won’t fit in with you in here. Get out and take the next one.” I refused, saying I would make myself as tiny as I could but I was staying in the elevator. She became irate, pointed at her kids and said “do you see what I’m dealing with here?!” I said I understood that it’s overwhelming but I had worked a long day and I needed to get home. I said “in or out, because I’m going now.” She pulled her stroller and kids out, calling me an rear end in a top hat the entire time. A few people were waiting behind her and got in with me. Two began thanking me for standing up to her because she does this “all the time,” but the other one called me an rear end in a top hat for not being sympathetic to her situation.

I don’t think people should have to make constant accommodations for people just because they have kids, especially when they’re rude and demanding. But AITA here?

EDIT: People are concerned with the way that this woman has treated my father. She did not physically touch him. He was in the elevator and she pushed her stroller in, waved her arms and yelled at him to get out several times. Because he’s hearing impaired, he was very confused and only knew that she was yelling at him and he got off the elevator. HAD she put her hands on him, charges would have been filed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lemony posted:

This one is funny to me because the pastor in the story is clearly a lot smarter than the mother. Like, if you are religious and want the atheist to convert, how exactly do you expect to do that if you shame them and prevent them from coming into your church? The pastor clearly understands that this atheist is willingly attending services, the best place to slowly convert somebody, and is dating a congregant. Don't drive them away idiot!

You save the shaming for after they've converted. Duh.

Also, you know, there's plenty of chill denominations of Christianity where the actually believing in God bit is pretty optional and it's really just about being nice.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
WIBTA if I didn’t tell anyone I was pregnant?

quote:

I (f) and my fiancé (m) found out we’re pregnant. Both of our families have been asking when we’ll have children.

This might sound selfish but I’d like to keep the pregnancy a secret until I give birth. My fiancé wants to tell our families and let them share the excitement of a new baby coming. We’ve been arguing about this.

I understand his point but I’d like to just enjoy this to ourselves. We’re also planning a wedding and things have already been stressful. So WIBTA?

Update:

We talked and we are going to keep the pregnancy a secret like I want. I let him know I’m the one carrying the child and giving birth and this is my boundary. He said he understood and will respect that decision and not say anything.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Dewgy posted:

Ehhhhh “advertising a specific product and delivering something else” is pretty complaint worthy even if it’s for something worth only a couple of bucks.

My perspective on it is “you sold me something you didn’t have, replaced it with something shittier, and you’re trying to make this my fault somehow”, and (at least for me) that poo poo don’t fly.

And also the whining over “we’re a small business we can’t afford to give you back the money we took by ripping you off” over something that cost them a dollar? gently caress small business owners.

Yeah I'm with you on this, skinflints who pull this kind of poo poo are quick to throw "is a few dollars really that big a deal?" in your face but invariably this devil-may-care attitude only applies to your pocketbook, never when they're deciding which brand of root beer to buy.

Maybe this makes me a Karen, but businesses have a responsibility to give you what you paid for.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Invisible Clergy posted:

WIBTA if I didn’t tell anyone I was pregnant?

I totally get this impulse to hide stuff like this from your family if they are a certain flavor of frustrating and it's definitely her right to choose privacy about it but it might be a little tough unless she doesn't see anyone for the next 9 months or however long. Also I'm amused imagining her calling her family one day and delivering the news they have a grandchild now. The elopement version of pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for being a "diva" at In-n-out?

quote:

TL;DR
I go to In-n-out a couple of times a week and always get the same order: a double-double, and an animal fry extra-well with no grilled onions. I understand that my animal fry order is atypical, but it's not something that they don't do since the order takers have those options on their order screen.

90% of the time I order, even though my tag clearly says "animal fry extra-well with no grilled onions", I don't get the fries extra well, or even well at all. I don't need them to be burnt or truly "extra-well", I just ask for it because I want a fry that's at least well and I almost never get it.

So my usual process is after I order, when they call out an order that is 5-10 times ahead of me, I will go up to the counter with my tag and ask politely that they double check that my fry is extra well with no grilled onions. I will point to the order number and highlight the order that it already has on it, so I'm not changing anything from what I ordered initially. Usually that does the trick and the person working with the counter will double check with the fry guy and ensure that the fry is done to order.

But sometimes it doesn't and it's extremely frustrating. Usually I take it on the chin and just take the fry even though it's not the one I ordered and get on with my day.

Today was one of those times that it didn't get done correctly when I went in with some friends. I got especially annoyed because the order taker didn't call the fry extra-well down when I initially ordered
it (which they are supposed to do). She also didn't say anything to the fry guy after I went up to the counter to ask her to double check that my fry is done correctly. So once I got my order with the undercooked fry, I saw that my fry was under-cooked and asked them to redo it. At this point, I was still polite about it and didn't let my frustration through, and they were apologetic and receptive to it.

I proceeded to then wait 20 minutes while I saw the fry guy hand out dozens of fry orders. He even made a fry that was clearly extra well, which I assume was supposed to be mine, and then he threw it out! 99% chance that it was supposed to be mine, and he just didn't care or forgot. This was way over the time it takes to even make a fry extra-well in the first place, and he wasn't snowed and the store wasn't particularly busy. I was speechless.

So after 20 minutes, I went up to the counter and I reminded them another time (so 4th time after the initial order, reminder before my order was supposed to come out, and after I didn't get the order I wanted). I was extremely annoyed at that point and let slip "learn to read the loving tags". I did not yell or belittle anyone, but I let the frustration be known in my voice. Finally I got the fry I wanted from the fry guy who gave me dirty looks. As we left, my friends called me a diva for it.

AITA for that?

Personally, I don't agree with the trope that "the customer is ALWAYS right", because some customers are complete assholes and are straight up wrong. But I do feel like as a paying customer, I should get what I ordered....and I was being reasonable about it....

tl;dr AITA for getting annoyed at the In-n-out workers for not getting my non-standard order right