Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/Apple-to-use-TSMC-s-next-3-nm-chip-tech-in-iPhones-Macs-next-year

So probably M3 Airs in late summer next year with speed bumps and slightly better battery life

It'd be nice if they beefed up the video hardware with MST support though

according to supposedly leaked internal documents from pre-M1 Ultra days that managed to more-or-less call everything released in the past year correctly M3 is supposed to be the first big leap since the introduction of Apple Silicon, much more than M2 vs M1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everything I care about is in the cloud anyway, so maybe I'll take a poke at it this weekend.

If only apple let us swap out the storage :argh: Tim Cook!

Again, I've been getting the samic panic on my 2019 16" i9 since the last macOS update, and googling the problem indicates that we're not alone. Report the kernel panics to Apple and we may see a fix.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Let’s say I want a better monitor for my MBP 16” M2 than my $200 Sceptre and let’s say I don’t want to spend $1800 on an apple display, what’s a good recommendation?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Doctor Zero posted:

Let’s say I want a better monitor for my MBP 16” M2 than my $200 Sceptre and let’s say I don’t want to spend $1800 on an apple display, what’s a good recommendation?

You're going to have to spend a lot of money to get a monitor that looks sharper than the built in display, which is class leading. Assuming you are just talking about increasing size here.

300 is like bare minimum you're going to spend for an average size. I spent ~$325 on 27" Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx in 2021 which is no longer really sold, but I am happy with it.

We have a monitor thread that can possibly help you out with better advice! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=964#lastpost

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Luceo posted:

Again, I've been getting the samic panic on my 2019 16" i9 since the last macOS update, and googling the problem indicates that we're not alone. Report the kernel panics to Apple and we may see a fix.

If this is the case, then any tips I posted are unlikely to fix and the solution sadly is to wait for a fix.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
what's the current thought on m2 max macbook pro's? actually soon? whenabouts?

drat i kinda need one imminently, i might have to order a m1 max. maybe i can resell if the m2s come out soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Dell UltraSharp 4K

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Inner Light posted:

You're going to have to spend a lot of money to get a monitor that looks sharper than the built in display, which is class leading. Assuming you are just talking about increasing size here.

300 is like bare minimum you're going to spend for an average size. I spent ~$325 on 27" Acer Nitro XV272U Pbmiiprzx in 2021 which is no longer really sold, but I am happy with it.

We have a monitor thread that can possibly help you out with better advice! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=964#lastpost

Thanks! :wotwot:

ooh, I forgot about Dell. I used to love their monitors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

Dell UltraSharp 4K

Uh, that’s an interesting avatar.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Just following up from a few days ago to report the recommended ethernet adapter worked wonders, back to a gbps up/down :tipshat:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Doctor Zero posted:

my MBP 16” M2

Your what?

Judging by your previous monitor being a Scepter I'd suggest a low end 4K monitor. I have a UR55 from BB that I got for $250. It's currently $220. It's got very few bells or whistles, but apparently it does have AMD freesync if that's your thing (like maybe if you're going to get Series X). I can't tell if you the screen is nice, but it's four ks.

Also, are people legit trying to bully boomer for recommending the Dell Ultrasharp? Are you guys that boring?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

anothergod posted:

Also, are people legit trying to bully boomer for recommending the Dell Ultrasharp? Are you guys that boring?

Which of the three posts since they put that are you reading as bullying?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The one with his quote

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anothergod posted:

Your what?

Judging by your previous monitor being a Scepter I'd suggest a low end 4K monitor. I have a UR55 from BB that I got for $250. It's currently $220. It's got very few bells or whistles, but apparently it does have AMD freesync if that's your thing (like maybe if you're going to get Series X). I can't tell if you the screen is nice, but it's four ks.

Dell UltraSharp will charge OP’s computer over USB-C, and if it’s one of the newer ones it’ll have KVM capability built in meaning that other Macs or Windows PCs could be connected and share the same keyboard and mouse if they’re routed through the display’s USB (kind of superfluous if you use Logitech stuff made in the last like 3 years, but nice to have)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

anothergod posted:

The one with his quote

That's not a bully response? It's a "wtf happened?" response.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

what's the current thought on m2 max macbook pro's? actually soon? whenabouts?

drat i kinda need one imminently, i might have to order a m1 max. maybe i can resell if the m2s come out soon.

Bumpin' cause I wanna know if it's a chump move to order an extremely expensive laptop right now

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
We don’t know the pattern yet for M_ chips. But there is likely a second Apple event this fall and it’s reasonable to expect that we’d see M2 MBPs at the event, since it’s been nearly a year and the M2 came out this summer. The other sign is that we’re seeing big M1 MBP discounts.

There’s always going to be a new MBP coming within a year and the M1 MBP is such a huge jump over any Intel MBP that it’d be reasonable to grab a sale and enjoy this great laptop for a few years or to wait until Oct/Nov if you want to be sure of getting a shot at the latest (the M1 MBP was hard to get for a long time because of supply issues, but hopefully that’d be resolved for the M2).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that one of the unsung features I really really love about the current MBPs is the big honkin' flat feet.

Generations of MBPs with the little rounded feet have come and gone and the feet NEVER stay attached longer than a few years, and when they do come off they are impossible to glue back on properly because they're anchored from the inside somehow and the store doesn't sell new feet. Just running out the clock on a series of laptops with one missing foot with gummy sticky glue residue where it used to be, rocking back and forth on the table and making me wonder whether the battery is swelling.

These new flat feet in their round sconces seem like they're not going to be susceptible to that issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that one of the unsung features I really really love about the current MBPs is the big honkin' flat feet.

Generations of MBPs with the little rounded feet have come and gone and the feet NEVER stay attached longer than a few years, and when they do come off they are impossible to glue back on properly because they're anchored from the inside somehow and the store doesn't sell new feet. Just running out the clock on a series of laptops with one missing foot with gummy sticky glue residue where it used to be, rocking back and forth on the table and making me wonder whether the battery is swelling.

These new flat feet in their round sconces seem like they're not going to be susceptible to that issue.

foot guy self-report

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

More M1 clearance: Micro Center has the M1 Mac Mini for $549, in-store only

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Bumpin' cause I wanna know if it's a chump move to order an extremely expensive laptop right now

Yo guys I am wondering the same, per my previous post on rationalizing an M1 14” purchase soon. Should I wait? Will the M2s being discussed still be in the wheel house of $2k and be released 2022-2023, or should I pull the trigger on the $1600 Best Buy current deal? Any opinions welcome. To be clear the current M1 performance is more than enough for my needs

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There’s no way the M2 version is going to be worth spending an extra $500 and waiting a long time.

Cheap 14” M1s are a great deal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that they do a price increase on the M2 Pros like they did with the Air. Leave the $1999 m1 mbp available for a while, but start the M2 mbp at $2199 or something.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
M2 Airs have the additional, non-performance value add over the M1 Airs of the M2s receiving the redesigned chassis and all the improvements that came along with that (better/larger screen, 4 speaker setup, better web camp, magsafe, etc). So in the case of the Airs paying significantly extra for the M2 configs could make some sense for some people (especially if planning on keeping the laptop for many years). The 14" got all that with the M1, so I'd suspect the M2 14" will be almost exactly the same as the M1 just with the M2 chip instead. If that's the case the M2 version is much less of an upgrade for the 14" than it is for the Airs, so I'd either grab the 14" M1 on current deal, or wait until the M2 drops to potentially get an even better deal on the M1 (or at least pushing down used prices).

The one potential upgrade I could see with the M2 14" is maybe the base model Pro chip will have either more performance cores or more GPU cores than the base model M1 Pro, as we did see a base model GPU core count upgrade on the M2 Air. I haven't been following whether they've announced anything with respect to this yet. 6 performance cores vs 8 performances CPU cores is currently one of the biggest differences between a base model 14" and an upgraded spec 14" for some workloads. However, the price for a MSRP M2 base 14" almost certainly won't be worth it over the discounted M1 14" we're seeing just for another performance core or 2, and if that was actually important to your workload you're probably looking at the 10-core 14" rather than the base model anyway (which is also on sale).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

anothergod posted:

Your what?

My uncle used to work for Nintendo but now works for Apple and got me a sweet pre-release version. :smug:

Nah, was a typo. It’s an M1 max

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

according to supposedly leaked internal documents from pre-M1 Ultra days that managed to more-or-less call everything released in the past year correctly M3 is supposed to be the first big leap since the introduction of Apple Silicon, much more than M2 vs M1

I’m really hoping this is the case, since I bought an M1 mini and am skipping the M2.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
With M3 being manufactured on a smaller process, it's pretty much guaranteed to be the case.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
what happens when they run out of nanometers? we all just give up on computers right? back to pencil and paper. hell yeah

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

what happens when they run out of nanometers? we all just give up on computers right? back to pencil and paper. hell yeah

They go to Picometers. Then Femtometers. Then Attometers. Then we ascend off the material plane.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm excited for when chips start taking up negative space, but they quietly whisper eldritch horrors at you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

101 posted:

I'm excited for when chips start taking up negative space, but they quietly whisper eldritch horrors at you

inside every MacBook is a tiny Event Horizon

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

101 posted:

Apple proudly presents the new M13, now with the integrated Cthulhu Engine that destroys civilizations up to 23% faster

Waking up with your brain in a jar may be a side effect of overclocking the CE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is a CPU? A miserable little pile of strings

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
WARNING: Improper opening of the M13 Ultra MacBook Pro bottom panel may cause the following:

-The body of the MacBook Pro may appear full of blood and/or viscera

-The technician may see their own face inside of the MacBook Pro chassis (it is most common for the face to be either screaming or to appear deceased)

-The technician may feel an overwhelming compulsion to mutilate their own body, often focusing on the eyes and face (For Information on properly deploying the Apple Repair Services SelfSafeHarnessTM, please see page 436)

-Between 20 and 200 rats may issue forth from an unknown space seemingly within the body of the MacBook Pro

-The appearance of photographs of long-dead family members and personal effects belonging to them within the body of the MacBook Pro, often bearing the inscription “Help Me (technician’s name), I am in Hell”

-A disembodied voice may issue forth from an unknown space within the MacBook Pro, claiming to belong to the MacBook Pro and demanding a worthy sacrifice of blood and flesh. Until said sacrifice is performed all user data will be unreachable (See page 300 for all Apple ApprovedTM Data Exctraction and Sacrificial Protocols)

……

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just want to go on record as saying that I hate your av lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just want to go on record as saying that I hate your av lol

I do too, would you mind getting rid of it for me?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is a CPU? A miserable little pile of strings

It's a series of nanotubes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I do too, would you mind getting rid of it for me?

I'm not a SHSC mod so I cant

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the real answer is the same thing they already do, which is that the number doesn't reflect the reality of the transistor size anymore. they'll just keep using smaller units every year or two while the transistor density remains about the same, it'll be like how the cell networks define 5G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

[i]WARNING: Improper opening of the M13 Ultra MacBook Pro bottom panel may cause the following:

-The body of the MacBook Pro may appear full of blood and/or viscera

Anyone who has opened a 2016-2019 4TB port intel machine, or worked on the OG cheese grater towers, knows that this is a genuine, common occurrence.