Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Thanks, that's good feedback, and I will say the Rapscallion is one of the ones I'm least happy with. It's hard to make new Rogue features that aren't just about murdering people in new spooky ways, when Mastermind and Inquisitive are already out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

1st level stuff: Very weak. Season to Taste is a (literal) flavor ability, and the only other things you get at first level is tool proficiency (another flavor ability with very little actual effect) and heavy armor, which a lot of other subclasses get alongside something good.

Domain Spells: Also a little weak. Spells overall are mostly either mediocre or already cleric spells, though there are a couple decent ones (Aid, Haste)

Channel Divinity: Very hit or miss. If you have a party full of strength attackers it's pretty decent. If you don't it's not great (basically just getting the small Con save improvements, strength saves are pretty rare). I'd prefer if it were something more generally applicable - a straight attack or damage bonus, temporary HP or save bonus, something like that which can benefit every party. The last sentence is unclear, does this work on food people have already eaten, or this the last word supposed to be "prepared" instead of "consumed"?

Opened Arms: Kind of weak. As a heavy armor cleric with Divine Strike you're probably going to be in melee, meaning using it to save allies is going to be pretty iffy. Compare this to something like the Glamour Bard's Mantle of Inspiration which is a similar ability that is a lot stronger.

Divine Strike: Standard

Homecoming: It's alright, basically a teleport with no miss chance.

As mentioned, this is another subclass that is pretty weak compared to other subclasses. Definitely needs an additional first level ability, and then at minimum improve at least two of Domain Spells/Channel Divinity/Opened Arms

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding the Rapscallion, I'm a big fan of Robin. Hood, and I think there's something missing here: Robin Hoods fondness for disguises, for robbing people by threats without actually hurting them, and by getting his rear end handed to him when he misjudges an opponent. So, how to implement in D&D?

What if the Rapscallion could disguise himself, approach a greedy merchant, venal priest, tyrannical sheriff etc, and attempt to Threaten them:

"If you've engaged your target in conversation and hidden your hostile intentions thus far, you may roll to attack your opponent as per a sneak attack. Roll to hit and generate damage as normal, but do not actually apply this damage to the target, instead:

If this damage would reduce the target to 0 hp, the target is adequately threatened by the Rapscallion revealing that they are, in fact, an infamous bandit known to prey upon the wealthy in this area. Realizing they have been drawn into a compromised situation with the Rapscallion, and are at their mercy, the target hands over their valuables and flees.

If, however, the damage would not reduce the target to 0 HP, the rapscallion's reveal has failed; the target is NOT intimidated, is prepared to fight the Rapscallion, and the rapscallion loses the first turn of combat and it flat footed as they are stunned to find that their intended victim is much fiercer than they reckoned."

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Reo posted:

Thanks! I'm looking for general feedback, just like "does that sound cool," as well as if anyone more experienced knows if I've done anything that will suck to play / absolutely break the game.

Ranger Discoverer Conclave

I really like the thematic core of this one, with the Ranger as a wandering anthropologist/ student of ancient cultures who can at later levels harness the power of the dead against interlopers.

However, IMO, the duelist-like abilities feel a bit separate and don't connect with that theme very strongly (Grave Intuition, Rewrite History and Cautionary Tale).

Maybe some alternatives could be...?
- Allowing Wisdom rather than Int modifiers on Religion / History checks (the Discoverer's intuitive knowledge of anthropology and human behaviour is better than any number of memorised facts)
- Man-made dungeons and ruins as a special kind of favoured terrain, with boosts to Perception or saving throws against traps, etc.
- Cautionary Tale framed more as a possession spell, with the spirits taking the Discoverer over to deliver a terrifying message from the past...?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

grobbo posted:

I really like the thematic core of this one, with the Ranger as a wandering anthropologist/ student of ancient cultures who can at later levels harness the power of the dead against interlopers.

However, IMO, the duelist-like abilities feel a bit separate and don't connect with that theme very strongly (Grave Intuition, Rewrite History and Cautionary Tale).

- Allowing Wisdom rather than Int modifiers on Religion / History checks (the Discoverer's intuitive knowledge of anthropology and human behaviour is better than any number of memorised facts)
- Man-made dungeons and ruins as a special kind of favoured terrain, with boosts to Perception or saving throws against traps, etc.
- Cautionary Tale framed more as a possession spell, with the spirits taking the Discoverer over to deliver a terrifying message from the past...?

Thank you! I like the suggestion for Cautionary Tale and leaning more heavily into the spirits part of it, and will probably rewrite it to match that idea. For the other options, I get what you're saying about the duelist abilities, but as a ranger, if they're not getting combat-relevant or extra damage abilities at those stages then I think they would fall behind every other ranger subclass in viability. I might be able to modify them to flavor them better, though.

For the Wisdom vs Int modifier on checks, that's something any DM can/should be doing in the vanilla game if your character has a unique way they approach skill checks. Like letting Barbarians use Strength for Intimidation checks, etc. I could let them add their WIS bonus TO the check or something like that, but it's still not a combat ability, so more of an additional ribbon.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reo posted:

Thanks! I'm looking for general feedback, just like "does that sound cool," as well as if anyone more experienced knows if I've done anything that will suck to play / absolutely break the game.

Appareler: Using mending as a reset for the temps allows for a 1 action reset during combat if there's a bard with a Lyre of Building. I'd suggest restoring temps during a short rest.
Best-Dressed granting a damage threshold introduces some huge interaction problems with other damage reduction effects and applies an objects-only rule to PCs. I'd suggest having the attire give temp hp to the wearer if they're out instead, say 1d8 temps like in the Heroism spell.
Also, the arcane attire effects should be tailored to a specific person and only work for that person, both for flavor and to avoid passing the clothing around as nothing in the description says you don't keep the temps if you remove the clothes.

College of Counsel: Just let Keen Intuition set the Insight check floor to a roll of 10.

Hearth Domain: Reflavor Feast of Fortitude as it's confusing (each creature that consumes the food receives a bonus but the bonus lasts for 10 minutes after the action, not after eating). Either call it Fight for Home and make it a straight enhancement without eating required, or have the food grant temporary hp and make this a non-combat channel divinity. Homecoming seems weird and also redundant given that Word of Recall exists and is only L6. I'd replace with something granting a bonus to allies within 30 feet of the cleric: maybe immunity to fear and poison in the radius, plus another bonus the cleric can spend reactions to grant? And why not give all the special aspects of the Chef feat except the stat increase as part of the L1 abilities?

Circle of the Body: Can you stack Amplify Physique by spending multiple Wild Shapes? Not sure that Clone fits the Temple of the Body ritual very well. Aside from Heal, these spell uses are all pretty niche. I'd suggest either casting one Enhance Ability for Str, Dex, or Con that requires no concentrations and lasts until the druid completes a long rest or dies. Alternately, have a 1 hour exercise routine aimed at up to proficiency bonus number of people that cures the targets of all diseases and poison, makes them immune to poison, and increases their hp maximum (and current) by 2d10, with the benefits lasting 24 hours.

Shield Bastion: For Close Ranks, why not just have the effect grant those under it cover? It's easier mechanically, and more powerful until the fighter gets a magic shield or the archetype bonuses. For Shield Wall, add "choose one creature under the effect of Close Ranks to receive three-quarters cover instead of half-cover." For Living Shield, make all creatures in the Close Ranks receive three-quarters cover. That also avoids stacking the Close Ranks bonus with other sources of cover, while allowing shield users covered by Close Ranks to get their shield benefits as well.

I see what you're trying to do with Way of Battle Flow, but this seems mechanically burdensome, complicated, and potentially underpowered (disruptive strike's randomness is especially problematic as lowering a foe's initiative can sometimes be a bad thing). Tempo is either useless (games where initiative order is public) or time-consuming (games where it isn't, especially if the Monk's player has a bad memory). I suggest instead focusing the powers on manipulating PC initiative. Drop Disruptive Strike; make Tempo allow the monk to spend 1 ki at the start of a PC's turn to instead swap that PC's initiative with any PC with lower initiative in the round: the PC now taking an action gains the benefits of Haste for the duration of their turn. That would be amazingly powerful. Change Seize Opportunity to an ability that grants PCs additional reactions (including the Monk) and maybe allows ki to be spent to trigger a special reaction upon use.

Oath of Liberty: Immunity to being grappled or restrained completely breaks some 5E monsters. That means most DMs will stop using those monsters against a party with an Oath of Liberty paladin. That is no fun. Make it work like Freedom of Movement: spend 5 feet of movement on your turn to end a grappled or restrained condition imposed by creatures. Spirit of Freedom should probably last 10 minutes as it isn't very powerful.

Discoverer Conclave seems underpowered and half the abilities seem squeezed into the theme.

Rapscallion also needs a full rewrite or substitution. Generating contested rolls via Attack vs Saving Throw doesn't work with the balancing of the two in 5E. Forced item dropping works very poorly with the way 5E handles monsters. The abilities don't seem related to the archetype.

Synergy has some mechanical complexities: How does Selflessness interact with spell sharing effects like in Find Steed? Coalescence is trying to do too much: either limit it to willing targets, in which case it should be limited to PB times per long rest and cost 0 points (you're sharing damage or healing across the party), or make it more of a reflection, where for damage you can redirect the rolled amount of damage to whatever creature caused the damage (Charisma save for half), and for healing you can allowing whatever creature is doing the healing to recover the rolled amount of hp while the original target receives the full effect.

Sacred Tree: Seems OK, I guess.

Echoes: The balancing here is way off. Spending a L4 spell slot for 20 force damage is a bad deal. You're better off casting a L4 spell. So this ability is good only because it allows you to burn through slots faster (at least until L14), meaning that the Echoes college is fantastic in games where wizards get long rests at will, and bad in games which impose adventuring days to force full casters to conserve slots. Given that full caster power is already so closely tied to long rest frequency, I don't think an archetype that empowers wizards yet more in games where they're at high power is a great idea; nobody will take this archetype in a game with strict restrictions on long rests. If you want this theme, I'd advocate having the abilities powered off PB per long rest and not spell slots, and I'd probably run the echoes off spells cast by others (PCs or enemies), allowing the wizard to use reactions to get the effects of low-level spells or cantrips off of their own turns.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

grobbo posted:

I agree with this. The idea of an anthropologist ranger is really dope, but with the exception of Discoverer Magic, all of the abilities are primarily combat-focused. I'd like to see more stuff to do with skill tests, particularly knowledge/religion/history tests, and things to do with dungeons and exploring them. Maybe they get the ability to sense traps and secret doors.

If they are getting combat abilities, they should in some way be tied to their knowledgeability. I get that with your naming conventions you were aiming for something like that, but mechanically they come off kinda hollow in that regard.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Did you know you can get a life-sized Drizzt statue?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Thanks everyone for the in depth looks and your insights so far.

By no means is this to say I'm rejecting your input, but to explain my thinking or specifically address some of your questions, a lot from Narsham but a couple others as well:

Appareler: Re: Lyre of Building: I'd never heard of this item, but I would say, that's a feature not a bug. If they've stacked an appareler with a bard with a rare magic item, more power to them for smart teamwork.
-----Threshold: Yes, I was very unsure about this threshold idea for PCs. The only reason I didn't just go for regenerating temp HP was because of the spell Heroism existing.
-----Clarifications: Yes, I will certainly clarify that you make the clothes for 1 PC only, and it cannot be stacked or passed around.

Counsel: Just curious for your reason why a 10 vs an 8? I basically just copied the "Ear for Deceit" feature Inquisitive Rogues get at the same level.

Hearth Domain: Re: Domain spell quality / already cleric spells, these are for flavor, and are just additional / always prepared. For that reason IMO they don't have to all be bangers, clerics still have a full list to choose from. Will still reconsider options.
-----Channel Divinity: I hear you about the confusing wording, and potentially too narrowly focused Str bonus.
-----Why not give Chef Feat aspects? Because I'd love for a player to take the Hearth domain and the Chef Feat, not make the feat redundant.

Circle of the Body: Amplify Physique: No, I did not intend for multiple Amplify Physiques to be used simultaneously, no wild shapes work like that, that I know of.
-----Circle Spells: See Cleric above: these are the extra spells for flavor, you still have the entire Druid list to work with.
-----Temple of the Body niche: I'd agree it's niche, but I think the theme is represented, and mechanically it's quite similar to "Walker in Dreams" of the Dreams circle. IMO Clone makes perfect sense for this expert at body-focused magic.

Shield Bastion: Excellent points here. I did not consider how similar any of this was to Half Cover or 3/4 Cover. I will definitely look into that approach.

Way of Battle Flow: Excellent points and this was one of the most tentative ones I did. Probably gonna go back to the drawing board a bit.

Oath of Liberty: Couldn't one argue that a Devotion Paladin's immunity to being charmed also breaks some 5E monsters? The way I see it, a Paladin is typically high in Strength, so is going to be failing grapple checks less than others, anyway.

Synergy: Not sure what is meant specifically by "Spell sharing effects like in Find Steed," but right now, Find Steed could not be used with Selflessness as its casting time is not an action or bonus action. That casting time stipulation was put in specifically to try to avoid problems with spells like Find Familiar, Find Steed, etc.

Echoes: The thinking was that you'd be spending a level 4 spell slot for a guaranteed 20 force damage vs casting something that 1) could be saved against and 2) has to roll damage and therefore could be better or worse depending on luck. I was not sure if the rubber meets the road on that, though, so I will think about this feedback.

Thanks again everyone. Very helpful.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

No you can't it's says "out of stock" :argh:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

:lmao: Drizzt is the same height as Tom Cruise, what a manlet

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Asterite34 posted:

:lmao: Drizzt is the same height as Tom Cruise, what a manlet

Makes sense, Dnd elves are shorter than humans.

Not like Tolkien elves which are taller

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?

Reo posted:

Fighter Shield Bastion Archetype
first off, i love the flavour you're going for here, especially the fantasy of the knight with the large shield acting as a support character and battlefield controller. however, i do think some of those core supportive mechanics get delayed far too long (shield wall, improved close ranks) and some of the flavourful feature names are wasted on numerical bonuses. since other posters have suggested over- (rather than under-) tuning your suggest abilities, i am going to spit ball some wild stuff below with the hope that some of it might be useful.

"Bulwark: Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your familiarity with shield techniques allow shields you wield to provide an additional +1 bonus to Armor Class. At level 10, this bonus increases to +2; at level 15, this bonus increases to +3; and at level 18, this bonus increases to +4."
Bodyguard: Also at 3rd level, your training has allowed you to prioritise the protection of another. While you are wielding a shield, you may use your reaction to add the shield's AC bonus to a creature within 5 feet of you, or to temporarily switch your Strength and Dexterity saving throw bonuses with theirs until your next turn. (i am imagining a "get down, mr. president" sort of moment
Shield Wall: Also at 3rd level, you can work defensively with your allies in the heat of combat. While you are wielding a shield, once on each of your turns you can choose one creature within 5 feet of you to become Shielded, causing the following effects until you become further than 5 feet from each other, choose a different creature, or become incapacitated or prone. At 10th level, you can choose two creatures within 5 feet of you to become Shielded.
> If not already wielding a shield, creatures that are Shielded can choose to receive the AC bonus provided by your shield or, if they are already wielding a shield, to replace their shield's AC bonus with yours.
> If not wielding a shield, creatures that are Shielded can use their bonus action to grant you advantage on your next attack roll, provided that they remain Shielded when you attack.
> If wielding a shield, creatures that are Shielded can use their bonus action to choose another creature within 5 feet of them to become Shielded, extending the Shield Wall."

"Hold the Line: At 7th level and while wielding a shield, you may forfeit all your movement to plant your shield and stand your ground. On a turn where you have planted your shield, you and any Shielded creature can add your Constitution modifier to your Armor Class bonus. While your shield is planted, you have have advantage on all Strength saving throws but have disadvantage on all Dexterity saving throws. When you gain the Extra Attack feature at 5th level, you can choose instead to forfeit one of your attacks in order to plant your shield."
"Hoplite Tactics: Also at 7th level, your practice with shield formations has enabled you to quickly move through stances and cycle your back line allies into combat. Shielded creatures within 5 feet of you may choose to attack targets as though they were occupying the same space as your character."

"Mobile Cover: At 10th level, you have trained to carefully move across the battlefield while shielding yourself and your allies from harm. Whenever you move, any Shielded creatures can use their reaction to move up to half of their speed so long as they end this movement within 5 feet of you or another Shielded creature. This movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity."
"Line Breaker: Also at 10th level, you can use an action or bonus action to bash your shield into an enemy. The enemy must make a Strength saving throw versus a DC of your Constitution modifier plus proficiency bonus. If they are wielding a shield, an unsuccessful save will disarm the enemy of their shield and push them back 5 feet; if they are not wielding a shield, an unsuccessful save will push them back 10 feet and knock them prone."

"Redoubt: At 15th level, you can choose any number of creatures within 10 feet to become Shielded, and all Shielded creatures have resistance to damage from non-magical ranged attacks."
"Improvised Flank: Also at 15th level, you have developed ideas of how to quickly encircle your enemies. You can use an action or bonus action to vault a Shielded creature behind you up to 15 feet ahead of you, allowing them to move over small, medium, or large creatures."

"Living Shield: At 18th level, your presence on the battlefield is enough to inspire superior defensiveness in your allies. All creatures that can see you and that you choose have advantage on saving throws."

(if you don't like these abilities, alternative ideas could include giving the subclass abilities that scale in power with the number of Shielded creatures, giving the subclass the ability to wield all two-handed melee weapons as if they were one-handed, increasing their melee reach to 10 feet at the cost of reduced speed, and outright destroying enemy shields (which happened a lot in shield wall combat).)

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
The Rapscallion should be the disarm master. The base disarm skill is

quote:

A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target’s grasp. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or other ill effect, but the defender drops the item.

I would go so far as to say it would not be overpowered at all if the Rapscallion could disarm as a bonus action. And if successful the disarmed weapon is flung 10 feet away, so it can't be immediately picked up.

Later, for their 2nd class feature how about the Rapscallion can, as an attack roll contested by the enemy's DEX, give enemies' a permanent -AC equal to their proficiency bonus. Flavor it like Rapscallion is able to precisely remove a piece of the enemy's armor, and it falls to the ground.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Reo posted:

Hearth Domain: Re: Domain spell quality / already cleric spells, these are for flavor, and are just additional / always prepared. For that reason IMO they don't have to all be bangers, clerics still have a full list to choose from. Will still reconsider options.
-----Circle Spells: See Cleric above: these are the extra spells for flavor, you still have the entire Druid list to work with.

Just keep in mind that Domain/Circle spells are absolutely not just flavor abilities but are a substantial part of what makes a subclass good, and with a few rearrangements could be much better. For Hearth Cleric, swapping out Purify Food and Water for Goodberry or Protection from Evil and Good, and Create Food and Water for Leomund's Tiny Hut, for example, would still fit the flavor and would be a substantial improvement to the spell list.

quote:

Echoes: The thinking was that you'd be spending a level 4 spell slot for a guaranteed 20 force damage vs casting something that 1) could be saved against and 2) has to roll damage and therefore could be better or worse depending on luck. I was not sure if the rubber meets the road on that, though, so I will think about this feedback.

Wizards have the best reaction spells in the game - I'd be unlikely to to spend a high level spell slot for an overall mediocre level of damage when it could go to something a lot more effective like Counterspell or Shield or Absorb Elements. Maybe give it PB number of uses per long rest for a moderate level of damage, rather than costing spell slots?

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 13, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reo posted:

Counsel: Just curious for your reason why a 10 vs an 8? I basically just copied the "Ear for Deceit" feature Inquisitive Rogues get at the same level.

10 should be the standard, as set by Reliable for the rogue. Inquisitive Rogues getting a floor of "8" at L3 instead of "10" isn't the result of a carefully balanced DC@level calculation by the designers, it's simply so that raising the floor to "10" with Reliable at L11 represents an improvement. The Counsel doesn't get that bump and there's no logical reason not to give them the "10" straight off. (There isn't for Inquisitive Rogues either, IMO.)

I'll echo Piell's point that the extra spells are pretty important to the classes that get them. Having an occasional spell on the list that you'd not normally prepare or use but which these specific casters might is OK, but most of them should be defining for the class instead of being a very fringe benefit. Clone for Circle of the Body is a perfect example: jumping from druidic "perfecting" of natural bodies to "I can grow you a replacement body that's younger" isn't making a lot of sense to me, but ignore that. This is a once per day ability and you really think any druid is going to find it useful to cast Clone once per day? Maybe once per PC, total. Walker in Dreams gives you a great communication spell (Dream), scrying without the 1000 gp focus (OK, saves you a slot I guess), and a very limited Teleportation Circle: it's OK, but nobody is going to claim it's overpowered.

Reo posted:

Oath of Liberty: Couldn't one argue that a Devotion Paladin's immunity to being charmed also breaks some 5E monsters? The way I see it, a Paladin is typically high in Strength, so is going to be failing grapple checks less than others, anyway.

Yes, one could. But I think you're pretty much messing with the CR 1 Harpy there, and I guess the CR 1 Dryad. A Vampire is stuck using its attacks instead. Most other monsters with charm abilities have other forms of attack. Monsters whose attack sequences rely upon grappling are going to have some trouble: there's a reason 5E doesn't have monsters initiate opposed grapple checks when they hit with an auto-grapple attack, they just get the grapple. That same Vampire can grapple someone with Freedom of Movement with a first attack and then multiattack into Bite; "immune to grapple" forces the Vamp to try to land a Charm first to get a willing creature. The point is that breaking out of the grapple (even as part of a move, as with Freedom of Movement) is always preferred in-system because it gives monsters a chance to do their thing on their turn; never getting grappled is reserved for incorporeal creatures, and even PCs who can become incorporeal don't get the grappling immunity.

Reo posted:

Synergy: Not sure what is meant specifically by "Spell sharing effects like in Find Steed," but right now, Find Steed could not be used with Selflessness as its casting time is not an action or bonus action. That casting time stipulation was put in specifically to try to avoid problems with spells like Find Familiar, Find Steed, etc.

If the caster of Find Steed casts a spell on themselves that "targets only you" while mounted on the steed, they can share the spell effect with the steed. If my Synergy caster makes a spell target the Paladin as if the Paladin were the "you" of the spell, does their steed get to share it as well?

Reo posted:

For context: Magic Missile upcast to L4 deals a guaranteed damage of 6d4+6 = 12-30 force damage. Average damage is 21 force. Even an upcast Burning Hands (which is a waste of time, believe me) is going to deal more than 20 damage with a L4 slot, because despite the saving throws you'll not cast it unless you can catch multiple targets. For your "best in show" spells at L4, Blight does an average of 36 necrotic (that's only 2 points lower than the guaranteed 20 force if they make their save), Catapult and Chromatic Orb deal an average of 27, Fireball does 31.5 on average in a 20' radius, and Cleric best-in-show Spirit Guardians is pumping out an average of 18 radiant per round in a 15' radius for 10 minutes. So yes, save for half and a minimum of 4 points if you roll poorly, but if you keep concentration you're dealing far more than that and the wizard who cast Blight is going to rapidly get jealous.

Piell's note on wizard reactions is on point, too.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 15, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Summit posted:

The Rapscallion should be the disarm master. The base disarm skill is

I would go so far as to say it would not be overpowered at all if the Rapscallion could disarm as a bonus action. And if successful the disarmed weapon is flung 10 feet away, so it can't be immediately picked up.

Later, for their 2nd class feature how about the Rapscallion can, as an attack roll contested by the enemy's DEX, give enemies' a permanent -AC equal to their proficiency bonus. Flavor it like Rapscallion is able to precisely remove a piece of the enemy's armor, and it falls to the ground.
Maybe the disarm could include : if you disarm someone with a one handed weapon with your one handed weapon, you can choose for his weapon to fall inside your free hand. You know classical movie poo poo.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

There's already optional mechanics in the game for a Disarm action, which are what the bizarre attack roll vs dex save mechanic is based on. Also, seems like a really annoying and cheesy thing to do to any humanoid NPC with a weapon. "I disarmed you and kicked your weapon way, now you're helpless, fight over." That's why I limited the effect to disadvantage on a weapon attack - it lets you knock their aim off, without enforcing or disallowing disarming rules.

I get it, I started from that exact mindset - disarm, disarm and catch, etc. But it just seems mechanically too weird or too potentially overpowered (or useless against enemies not holding weapons).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So how do you feel about the disarming strike Battle Master maneuver then?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Haven't encountered it in play, but reading it, it's limited by the superiority dice, so it's fine. Maybe that kind of PB/rest limit or something would be OK, but also, why not just use the Disarm action?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Reo posted:

Haven't encountered it in play, but reading it, it's limited by the superiority dice, so it's fine. Maybe that kind of PB/rest limit or something would be OK, but also, why not just use the Disarm action?

The Battlemaster maneuver does damage in addition to disarming. While Disarm does not do damage.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I meant in reference to the Rapscallion feature, not the Battlemaster maneuver. Regardless, I see the comparisons.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

a cool mechanic could be that these disarming/piercing arrows could repurpose sneak attack dies as temporary banes, like the "disarmed" enemy has a -xd6 to their next attack roll, or attacks have an extra xd6 to hit that target, but in exchange you do xd6 less damage. the problem with disarming is you sort of pigeonhole your build into fighting weapon using humanoids

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm gonna be playing a Githyanki in an upcoming Spelljammer game. How the hell can I make a name that sounds githyanki and isn't extremely annoying to say over the course of the game?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm gonna be playing a Githyanki in an upcoming Spelljammer game. How the hell can I make a name that sounds githyanki and isn't extremely annoying to say over the course of the game?

Ch'Erl.
Di'Ana
Mon-Ro.
Rox'Yanne.
Al'Birt.
Mrr'grt.
L'zlhe.
R'se.
Arp'r.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Githyanki Carl

if anyone asks just say you go by carl now because your old name is too annoying to pronounce

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just right it as K'arl but say Carl.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Just right it as K'arl but say Carl.

K'arrul.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
St'eev with a hard stop at the apostrophe.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mirage posted:

Like Steh-Eve?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mirage posted:

Steev'oh

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Reo posted:

There's already optional mechanics in the game for a Disarm action, which are what the bizarre attack roll vs dex save mechanic is based on. Also, seems like a really annoying and cheesy thing to do to any humanoid NPC with a weapon. "I disarmed you and kicked your weapon way, now you're helpless, fight over." That's why I limited the effect to disadvantage on a weapon attack - it lets you knock their aim off, without enforcing or disallowing disarming rules.

I get it, I started from that exact mindset - disarm, disarm and catch, etc. But it just seems mechanically too weird or too potentially overpowered (or useless against enemies not holding weapons).

Yeah, I've allowed my players to take away weapons from paralyzed (hold personed) enemies with an action, and it's really powerful. Letting people do it as a bonus action without spending any resources sounds like a bad idea to me (I also don't use the disarm optional rule for similar reasons).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I need help, I'm coming up to my first feat/asi choice. I have str 14 and wis 18 and am a life cleric. I am torn on whether I should take heavy armor master or +2 to Wis. I already got a free feat at first level and took war caster. My thoughts for HAM is that using it with warding bond would be kinda cool and generally help my survivability a bit. Also 15 str would mean i don't get a -10 to speed if I ever get better than the chainmail I'm currently wearing. I'm likely going to take one or the other this time and the other at the next. Should I just leave it and go with the wis? Is HAM a bad idea in general?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

they’re not all crazy apostrophe stuff! mine was named Verel, there’s one in DotMM called Jerath, Baldur’s Gate II has a spelljammer captain called Ahmaz

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wi-mann

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jhonny Noxvil.

I like to give my PCs fantasy names that can be shortened into everyday names. So I'll roll a cleric named Stevros and tell the party to call him Steve.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I kind of like the slow burn ones that don't immediately sink in. Like Neverwinter Smith, the ranger with an archaeology background, a pistol, and a whip.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nehru the Damaja posted:

One of my players made a character named Val'Githala, which I quite like. It's very pronounceable, unmistakably Gith, and you can always just call her Val as a nickname. I would just make sure that it's something you could actually pronounce without the apostrophe first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
H''''''

The h is silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of like the slow burn ones that don't immediately sink in. Like Neverwinter Smith, the ranger with an archaeology background, a pistol, and a whip.

I dig this.