Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fil5000 posted:

Nah dude. It was a good song but Montaigne has absolutely nailed the brothers' vibe.

if nothing else it sets up a great “it’s better, it’s better with two” joke if Travis ever finally gets canceled for something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If Travis gets cancelled, MBMBaM's theme song will be dead air because they will stop doing it

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Pitch for a spinoff podcast about Travis entering a fantasy football league, where every player on his team is named Travis. Would they come dead last or not?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A DND one off where all the characters are named Travis would be powerful.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The Adventure Zone: Travisty

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The Adventure Zone: Travisty
that's just Graduation

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Best money zone in years

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Dust okay, but am I the only one who finds the conversational rules of the game system REALLY goddamn stilted? I felt the same way about sections of Amnesty. Being able to only ask like, one of five predetermined things on an investigative check regardless of context or direct relevance to the situation... I dunno it just feels to me like kinda shittily constructed dialogue trees in a Skyrim game or something. I kinda get it for actions but for dialogue imo it kinda sucks, and considering the game system is supposed to be about dialogue and investigation the execution leaves me cold sometimes.

Is it just me?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I like Dust okay, but am I the only one who finds the conversational rules of the game system REALLY goddamn stilted? I felt the same way about sections of Amnesty. Being able to only ask like, one of five predetermined things on an investigative check regardless of context or direct relevance to the situation... I dunno it just feels to me like kinda shittily constructed dialogue trees in a Skyrim game or something. I kinda get it for actions but for dialogue imo it kinda sucks, and considering the game system is supposed to be about dialogue and investigation the execution leaves me cold sometimes.

Is it just me?

When I've played PBtA games before those questions are like... for the GM to answer VIA the conversation rather than for you to ask the NPC directly. You can have whatever conversations you want, passing those checks means you definitely get that info.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is it just me?

I feel like maybe they should not read them out loud every goddamn time

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

When I've played PBtA games before those questions are like... for the GM to answer VIA the conversation rather than for you to ask the NPC directly. You can have whatever conversations you want, passing those checks means you definitely get that info.

This makes way more sense. Still a clunky aspect of the system though imo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This makes way more sense. Still a clunky aspect of the system though imo.

I guess, I don't think it's any more clunky than how most people use persuasion checks in D&D, it just defines some limits on what success means.

(I know that there's actually rules on how far persuasion can take you in D&D if the other party hates your character, it's just most DMs seem to set a DC and if you pass it the NPC does whatever you want)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The boys have this problem that a lot of tables have, where they describe what they want to do in game mechanic terms rather than saying what they want to do in real-life terms and having the GM tell them what to roll.

Like "I'm gonna do an investigation check on this room" instead of "I want to look around the room and see if I notice anything strange" "ok, why don't you roll me an investigation check"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure it's just a goofy limited time thing, but I enjoy the brothers fuckin around with fortnite. I miss awful squad.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

more falafel please posted:

The boys have this problem that a lot of tables have

it took me about 10 seconds to parse tables here. I've never heard it used like that. I like it

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What is their job?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
No idea but redditors told me they’re millionaires

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Professional Brothers

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
But them being bad at what they do is part of the ~charm~, question mark?

I'd be interested to see the numbers drop in their TAZ listenership on each new thing. Balance was definitely an interesting fluke since they got lucky with having early access to 5th edition rules and being actually funny with their early poo poo before EVERYTHING MUST BE CONSTANTLY SERIOUS starting with Suffering chapter or whatever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't know what it was about dust ep 1 that got me to unsubscribe from TAZ but about 30 minutes in I really decided I didn't need to listen to the content. If I had to guess is the abuse angle of bringing a rando into taz that has to deal with their incompetence.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

more falafel please posted:

The boys have this problem that a lot of tables have, where they describe what they want to do in game mechanic terms rather than saying what they want to do in real-life terms and having the GM tell them what to roll.

Like "I'm gonna do an investigation check on this room" instead of "I want to look around the room and see if I notice anything strange" "ok, why don't you roll me an investigation check"

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's true.

I've been watching a bunch of critical role lately and they're generally really good about that, and it really does make things flow better. Plus it allows them to look for something specific, roll well, and possibly fail to find it because it's not there without giving away things they didn't even know to look for yet.

NADDPOD is also pretty good about that, but iirc they do slip into that sometimes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't know what it was about dust ep 1 that got me to unsubscribe from TAZ but about 30 minutes in I really decided I didn't need to listen to the content. If I had to guess is the abuse angle of bringing a rando into taz that has to deal with their incompetence.

If they're going to bring in a rando at this point it should be a DM.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Weird Pumpkin posted:

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's true.

I've been watching a bunch of critical role lately and they're generally really good about that, and it really does make things flow better. Plus it allows them to look for something specific, roll well, and possibly fail to find it because it's not there without giving away things they didn't even know to look for yet.

NADDPOD is also pretty good about that, but iirc they do slip into that sometimes.

I think it's more prevalent in Amnesty/Dust because the moves are more specific. Like "I wanna Read A Bad Situation" is much more stilted than "Duck is gonna try to get his bearings and see if there's anything he can use to get the upper hand"

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Erika Ishii isn't a rando tho?? They've def worked with the McElroys before

El Jeffe posted:

What is their job?
lmao

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
good episode.

fake edit:

that pottery/Ghost conversation is loving real.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Empty Sandwich posted:

good episode.

fake edit:

that pottery/Ghost conversation is loving real.

Agreed on all counts

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Real big fan of the intro this week with zero context. Might be down to death blart after this

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Justin is about to open up a haunted doll live on stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97HId3hip0E

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Zeeman posted:

Ah I think they've made a mistake, that's clearly Travis

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Just Chamber posted:

Ah I think they've made a mistake, that's clearly Travis

I also thought it was Travis and was confused when he started talking.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Becoming Travis is a metastatic condition that affects all of the McElroys

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
drat you Clint McElroy!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Do people really not take their funkos out of the box?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

they very much do not. that's kinda the thing for almost all collectibles

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Professor Wayne posted:

buddy, welcome to a whole world of depressing nerd poo poo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can't believe I didn't realize that. I totally get putting figures of your favorite characters on a shelf. It just feels weird to have it so obscured by cheap plastic and cardboard.

To each their own, I guess

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

How else would you know who it is?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Not only do collectors leave them in the box, you can buy a plastic (and locking? somehow? I think?) "pop protector" that the display box goes in. Truly we live in the worst world.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Zeeman posted:

Justin got tired of people saying he's looked the same his entire life, I guess! Now there's just two Travis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is what happens when people have the same birthday