Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

You mean language changes as time passes and old people get mad about it for no reason at all.

:bahgawd:

Top page content: if you want a budget iPad, wait to see what the 10th gen offers before considering a new/refurbished 9th gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

withak posted:

Dictionaries are a historical record, not a rule book.

That’s not what I said. What a stupid hill to die on. Everyone here knew exactly what they meant when they said bricked.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s not what I said. What a stupid hill to die on. Everyone here knew exactly what they meant when they said bricked.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I am due to upgrade from my base level 6th gen in the coming months, and the value proposition isn’t quite so obvious when I use mine mostly as a streaming consumption device so 64gb on the Air is more than enough. I still have like 12gb free on my 32gb iPad.

Like, is 120hz and Face ID worth a $250 upcharge over the Air, after speccing out the lowest options on each model and include Applecare+ which costs more on the Pro? Ugh, it’s close, but probably not.

Nope! And you might even find touchID quicker and preferable, depending on how you use your iPad.

If you’re an artist and use the pencil, you might notice the higher refresh rate more. But you’re probably fine without it otherwise.

I really like my pro, but the air seems like a real good tablet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Get a Pro if you want the HUGE iPad, the 11” pro isn’t worth it unless you find a really good deal

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hatty posted:

Get a Pro if you want the HUGE iPad, the 11” pro isn’t worth it unless you find a really good deal

Even though a 128GB pro is only $50 more than a 256GB Air, which was my question at the start of this?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Even though a 128GB pro is only $50 more than a 256GB Air, which was my question at the start of this?

Shop around for some deals - if you can find an 11 inch pro for less than a 256 gig air ( as I did) then go for it. Otherwise, don’t willingly climb the Apple pricing ladder. Or, wait a few weeks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Grumbles posted:

Shop around for some deals - if you can find an 11 inch pro for less than a 256 gig air ( as I did) then go for it. Otherwise, don’t willingly climb the Apple pricing ladder. Or, wait a few weeks.

Back to school deal right now makes the specific price point $600 and $650.

I'm hearing that the 11 inch pro is completely equivalent and just get whichever is cheaper?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm an artist and have the M1 iPad Pro 12.9. It's pretty large and the canvas size is good but the weight is pretty hefty if you have to take it somewhere by hand. Also it seems that most 3rd party tools are for the smaller iPads so there's that.

I was able to draw easily on the M1 iPad Air that the Apple Store had as it as easier to hold in one hand while drawing with the other. But the screen isn't as nice and colors not as vibrant. The colors being vibrant vs not could really hinder an artist too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

I like my 12.9 iPad Pro (2021), but honestly I think I would be the small minority that would swap it out for the 11". It’s just sometimes slightly too big.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I like my 12.9 iPad Pro (2021), but honestly I think I would be the small minority that would swap it out for the 11". It’s just sometimes slightly too big.

I think the Pro nomenclature really fits there, because unless you have a specific professional reason you need the extra space it's not useful at all. I'm saying this as someone who uses one daily.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my 12.9 and you can pry it from my dead hands.

I’ll never go smaller.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love my big boi ipad for editing photos on the road and making space farts with AUM. The screen does amazing with colors and the pencil is great for fiddling with knobs.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have the 11 Pro and am really happy with it. There are times I find myself missing a bigger screen, usually when using it as a work laptop replacement, but my dad has the big fucker and it's just too unruly for my usual use case. It's like carrying a monitor around, man.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My kid's iPad 7 bricked last week. Just stopped charging and never turned back on once the battery drained fully. Tried all the tricks, even took it to the Apple store who initially didn't believe that it wouldn't turn on and was shocked that it was, in fact, actually broken.

Refurb store had some good deals on an 8th gen and the bump from 7 -> 8 was pretty good so I jumped on that instead of paying the $250 for a replacement.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

12.9 pro is great for sheet music. I use it all the time in the pit orchestra for musicals, paired with a Bluetooth pedal to change pages.

For couch surfing it’s a bit much.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll never go smaller.

My iPad is huge so my iphone can be tiny. It's a blessed union.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been using a whiteboard app (Miro) for online tutoring, where I can use my 4th gen Air and Pencil 2 to write equations and poo poo. It works great for about half an hour but at some point my sweaty-rear end hands become a problem and the screen stops correctly registering pen input. Wiping with a cloth dries it off quickly but it doesn't effectively get rid of the minerals from the sweat so the touchscreen still doesn't really work. Is there a quick way to clean it off that won't damage the hardware? I'm super reluctant to use anything with alcohol.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Erwin posted:

12.9 pro is great for sheet music. I use it all the time in the pit orchestra for musicals, paired with a Bluetooth pedal to change pages.

For couch surfing it’s a bit much.

When I first got the 11 pro - with the intention of it replacing my laptop - I did start to wish that I'd gone a size up. But also, the size up is really loving expensive. And ultimately, I'm really happy with the size of the 11 pro. The screen resolution is so high that it's still great for watching stuff on, and it's honestly the perfect size to hold in your hands and scroll on. I think I'd find the big boi just a bit awkward. For the kind of work I do - typing, essentially - it's great. I wouldn't swap it for the bigger one, unless maybe it was the only screen in the house.

In the new iOS update, you can also shrink the font size in exchange for crunchier lookin pixels. So you've got plenty of space to work on if you need a bit more real estate.

If I still worked around print/design/illustrators, the big one with its fancy colour tech would be great for meetings. So if it's a work thing and you have some way of writing off the tax or expense of whatever - and you're more likely to be using it at a desk or table than in bed - then that makes sense.

I always used to have the approach of 'bigger screen = better', but I've just had to downgrade my huge phone to an iphone mini because it was giving me hand cramps. I've come to realise that with portable stuff your brain does adjust to whatever sized screen you're using - so long as you can read everything okay, it's not gonna be more or less immersive or whatever - and Apple screens are so nice regardless of size that ergonomics are way more important.

It's still probably worth waiting a few weeks to see what gets announced.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I upgraded to the latest 12.9 inch ipad pro and the new apple pencil but have run into a serious issue with the pencil.

Turns out it has trouble pairing to the ipad! Even reset my entire ipad just basic default apps and bluetooth still won't see it.

I'm about to go to the local apple store and see if another pencil will work with it. I'm hoping it's a faulty pencil and not something more serious. My 10.5 inch ipad from 2017 had no issues with the first generation pen so it's surprising that several years after release that the new pen would still have problems syncing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hamelekim posted:

I upgraded to the latest 12.9 inch ipad pro and the new apple pencil but have run into a serious issue with the pencil.

Turns out it has trouble pairing to the ipad! Even reset my entire ipad just basic default apps and bluetooth still won't see it.

I'm about to go to the local apple store and see if another pencil will work with it. I'm hoping it's a faulty pencil and not something more serious. My 10.5 inch ipad from 2017 had no issues with the first generation pen so it's surprising that several years after release that the new pen would still have problems syncing.

Did you let it charge for a while? Dumb question but that's the first thing to check. Otherwise, yeah it's a dead pencil. Do you know anyone that has a compatible iPad you could use isolate the issue further?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you let it charge for a while? Dumb question but that's the first thing to check. Otherwise, yeah it's a dead pencil. Do you know anyone that has a compatible iPad you could use isolate the issue further?

Yeah I did, and unfortunately I don’t know anyone else with a compatible ipad. The pencil pops up on screen and spins for a bit when connected, then nothing. Bluetooth off and on and nothing.

Hope those geniuses and the bar can figure it out tomorrow. The pencil feels better already on this screen. Way more friction even without a screen protector. I really wasn’t expecting that.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll never go smaller.

I waited with the cursed iPad 3 through the rumors for the first 12.9 inch Pro in 2015. I was planing on keeping my 2021 long term, but we we may get 14.1 next year and there was even talk of a 17 inch prototype being tested.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm an artist, considering buying a brand new iPad with a pencil. Which models does the pencil work with, and should I hold off until the new model comes? Probably going to use procreate a heck of a lot.

I know, stupid questions but I literally have no idea about the modern apple ecosystem.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pencil works on iPad Vanilla, and older model Pro.

Pencil 2 works on current iPads Air and Pro, and if you're at all interested in drawing/art, this is the one to get.

I haven't heard any rumours about a possible iPad10 with Pencil 2 support, but it probably wouldn't hurt to wait if you're not in a hurry.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If new iPad that supports pencil 2 was going to be released this year it would probably be in mid October. Both the base model ipad and the pencil 1 have been on pretty good sales lately to clear stock, you can buy those now if those suit your needs, or you can wait until October and see what gets released.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pencil 2 is a million times more convenient because it charges magnetically when you attach it to the side of the iPad, so you never actually have to think about charging it. Pencil 1 has a loving lightning connector on the top of the pencil and you have to plug it into the iPad and leave it loving hanging off the end of the tablet to charge it, and then you have to worry about hitting it and damaging the connector while it’s charging.

If you can afford it and you’re serious about using it for art, spring for the Pencil 2 capable stuff imo, the convenience is well worth the extra money.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

As an artist, I highly recommend a tablet that supports Pencil 2. Especially if you're going to be drawing. The laminated screens on the iPad Air 4 and 5 and the Pros are wonderful.

Also charging it is much less of a hassle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, I love the pro 11/pencil 2 combo with a good origami case and Bluetooth keyboard.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Khizan posted:

Pencil 2 is a million times more convenient because it charges magnetically when you attach it to the side of the iPad, so you never actually have to think about charging it. Pencil 1 has a loving lightning connector on the top of the pencil and you have to plug it into the iPad and leave it loving hanging off the end of the tablet to charge it, and then you have to worry about hitting it and damaging the connector while it’s charging.

If you can afford it and you’re serious about using it for art, spring for the Pencil 2 capable stuff imo, the convenience is well worth the extra money.

Yeah, I have a Pro 10.5 with the Pencil 1, I lost the little F-F Lightning adapter it comes with, so it’s pretty much never charged when I want to use it. It does charge up pretty quick at least.

I can’t justify upgrading though, since I only use the iPad for something every couple of months.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
A quick update on my apple pencil 2 issues and my 2021 12.9 inch pro tablet.

Turns out it was the pencil. It didn't sync with the ipad at the genius bar, but the new one they gave me did so instantly in the store, as did another one they tried. So yeah, I guess the pencil can just be doa sometimes. Something to be aware of if you are having issues with yours.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thanks for the consensus on getting a pencil 2nd gen, much appreciated!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I found an Apple Pencil 1 over 2.5 years ago and I finally obtained an iPad Pro 10.5".

Can anyone recommend a decent painting/drawing app, primarily for a child? Purchase outright is ideal, a subscription won't be worth it for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I found an Apple Pencil 1 over 2.5 years ago and I finally obtained an iPad Pro 10.5".

Can anyone recommend a decent painting/drawing app, primarily for a child? Purchase outright is ideal, a subscription won't be worth it for me.

Procreate?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Arivia posted:

Procreate?

I think he already made the child, now he needs the app

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tayasui Sketches Pro does the trick for my mediocre drawing skills, but the free version is also pretty good.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
They’re now bringing stage manager to older iPad Pros, but a finger curled on the monkey’s paw and now external monitor support, which is the only good thing about it, won’t ship at launch and will still be M1 exclusive when it does.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apple needs to make a tiny keyboard for iPad mini.

And put Stage Manager on it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Put it on the iPad Air 4, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

They’re now bringing stage manager to older iPad Pros, but a finger curled on the monkey’s paw and now external monitor support, which is the only good thing about it, won’t ship at launch and will still be M1 exclusive when it does.

Is it really so demanding that it needs the M1? Just seems like a lovely way to upsell people.