Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do my hydro dams sometimes turn on and off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hydro dams are notoriously finicky; they work on the difference in water level between each side of the dam, so you need the water on the reservoir side to be as high as possible. In my experience, if the water on the reservoir side isn’t near the top of the dam, it won’t generate any power at all. Sometimes you can cheat it and get a little extra power by putting your city water/sewage outlets behind the dam. You may need to terraform parts of the reservoir to get the water level higher.

That also means that tiny fluctuations in water level (perhaps from building things that take in/pump out water upstream, perhaps just from natural waves formed in the river) will affect the power you get out of it, and may lower the water level below the threshold it needs to generate electricity.

And then sometimes it just turns on and off for absolutely no apparent reason, because gently caress you I guess???

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 16, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
There's also a weird interaction with the 81 tiles mod. If your dam is in any of the tiles after that first 25 (or whatever the default is) it'll load in with super glitchy/jagged water that's pretty much guaranteed to spill over for the first few seconds. On one of my maps I had to build a long series of diverting sea walls in order to spread out the impact so I didn't wash all the cars off a nearby highway every time I decided to play the game.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Related question: what happens if you have a dam that ends up damming water behind the map edge? Does it end up flowing off the map, or...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

death cob for cutie posted:

Related question: what happens if you have a dam that ends up damming water behind the map edge? Does it end up flowing off the map, or...

Water comes out of water sources. Water sources are cylinders that you manually adjust the height of, with larger sources generating larger amounts of water. You can also think of the sides of the cylinder as being what generates water, while the top of the cylinder actually absorbs/removes water. How much water can back up is basically limited by the amount of water that the source produces and the height of the water source, because the water level can only reach the top of the cylinder. You also have the ocean level setting, which is basically an infinitely wide water source and can be buggy because of that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why would I ban sidewalk bicycling or not encourage bicyclcing?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 20, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whole map I was working on is just gone, cool. Even the terrain disappeared, there's no mountain or anything. Guess I'll stick to workshop maps.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Grand Fromage posted:

Whole map I was working on is just gone, cool. Even the terrain disappeared, there's no mountain or anything. Guess I'll stick to workshop maps.

:dafuq:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/cities-skylines-plazas-promenades.1539337/

New DLC announced - looks like a focus on walkable/car-free areas for cities. Might see about trying to do a city focused on pedestrians/bikes!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big yawn, DLC that just does what mods do. I guess it's good for people playing on console.

Maybe good that they're thinking about things other than cars. Skylines 2 having more robust pedestrian and bike infrastructure options would be nice.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 22, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

• Pedestrian Streets: let your citizens walk freely on pedestrian-only streets! Place them in your city like any other road and create new green city centers free of most vehicles and pollution.
  • Pedestrian Zones and New Policies: activate three zone-specific policies for your city including Slow Driving: all roads in the pedestrian zone, except highways, get a speed limit of 20 miles/hour. Sugar Ban: increases the average lifespan of citizens in the pedestrian zone but decreases their happiness. Street Music: increases happiness and noise pollution in pedestrian commercial zones.
  • District Specialization: we added 3 new district specializations: offices, high-density residential areas, and high-density commercial zones. Setting a specialization on a district affects all zoned squares in that district that will spawn buildings with a different visual appearance and a gameplay effect. Each specialization features 24 new modern wall-to-wall buildings!
  • City Service Buildings: service buildings are important, but how about awesome-looking service buildings? Connect them to pedestrian zones by matching their visual style and provide services that contribute to good happiness values.

Accompanying the release of Plazas and Promenades are two content creator packs and two radio stations:

• Inspired by the American design movement of the same name, “Mid-Century Modern” by Rev0 grants players sleek and stylish residential growable buildings.
  • “Seaside Resorts” by Gčze brings the spirit of the classic seaside resort towns, boulevards and piers that flourished in 19th century America to Cities: Skylines.
  • Finally, the release will also deliver fresh tunes for aspiring architects in the form of two radio stations: Paradise Radio and Shoreline Radio.

“Plazas and Promenades” Expansion, the two Content Creator packs and the two Radio Stations will be available in the “Plazas and Promenades Bundle” at a 15% discount.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Great all the mods will break again

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'm surprised how many are so excited about this. Mods have done it all better since like a year after the game came out, all this is going to do is break all our poo poo yet again. I was just about to get back into the game but I'll wait until the fallout settles down.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Every time Colossal drops a new DLC it just makes me annoyed that 1) there is no Cities 2 in sight and 2) nobody else has really entered the city builder market. Doesn't help that this seems like a pretty lame DLC even by Cities standards.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Didn't even think about having to drop the game for a month waiting for mods to update. At least it seems like CO lets some of the big modders have early access so they can get things fixed, Airports wasn't too disruptive.

I wonder when they're going to announce Cities 2. It's sold a fuckload of copies, they're for sure doing one and I imagine fairly deep into making it by now. If they just want to announce it like a month before it's out instead of dragging it out for years I'd be cool with that.

Please god have regions and better zoning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I so miss region play of simcity 4. It was nice to be able to have more bite sized projects you could bounce between. Feel like doing some farms? Go build a cool farming region. Want to do some downtown stuff? Switch over to your downtown tile. I'd love something like that but with a bigger economy. Go start a farming focused map to help supply your region with cheaper food imports. Build a neat mining town in the mountains because your main industrial city doesn't really have any minerals. Get a whole cool region going.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I gave up on official radio stations when one of them did nothing but throw Sad Viking Music at me, the gently caress are we doing

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I gave up on official radio stations when one of them did nothing but throw Sad Viking Music at me, the gently caress are we doing

I have them entirely disabled because their playback is dependent on framerate.

If that stutters, so does the music.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dragonshardz posted:

In game music is also entirely pointless in games without contextual music.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're no SC3K soundtrack.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

:psyduck:

Is that normal practice?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

no, that's basically a totally insane way of handling music playback

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The UI also has a hosed up rendering thing that eats like half the FPS because they made a mistake and never fixed it. FPS Booster mod takes care of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5Fo4UOx7I

The service point looks pretty cool actually, vehicles don't need to enter the pedestrianized area because there are dedicated points on the exterior for them to pick up and deliver to. That's a lot like the "block" system I wanted for a CS:2 so that's actually optimisitc.

I don't know of any mods that do that. I wonder if you could use it to make industrial compounds etc, or if it could be modded to work like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

egg! egg! egg!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5Fo4UOx7I

The service point looks pretty cool actually, vehicles don't need to enter the pedestrianized area because there are dedicated points on the exterior for them to pick up and deliver to. That's a lot like the "block" system I wanted for a CS:2 so that's actually optimisitc.

I don't know of any mods that do that. I wonder if you could use it to make industrial compounds etc, or if it could be modded to work like that.

There's a mod where you can change the vehicle delivery/spawn points for any building so you can do cool things like making an access road for hospitals and hide the ambulance spawn/despawn points in a covered area. Same for big warehouses and truck deliveries.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the mod was used as a springboard for this feature.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the way it works is you can just add service locations for the whole district, so the whole pedestrianized area can have its services located on the outside and the inside can be purely walkable or mass transit.

That really seems like it would change the whole way I lay out cities, on a big block basis with big access roads for vehicles and mass transit stops in every district.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those huge 8 story tall flat glass roofs look dumb.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh no I was going to play Skylines today but the DLC is out. Mods????????

E: Watching about how it works, it's dumb. The pedestrian area is a special district like a park with upgrade goals and maintenance and poo poo. It's not actually incorporating pedestrian infrastructure into a city or doing anything about cars, it's making a little disney area where people can walk. Using traffic manager to set roads as car-free is way better than this.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 14, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sounds like lazy bullshit but also sounds very true to how car-free zones are viewed in nearly every american city :smith:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh no I was going to play Skylines today but the DLC is out. Mods????????

E: Watching about how it works, it's dumb. The pedestrian area is a special district like a park with upgrade goals and maintenance and poo poo. It's not actually incorporating pedestrian infrastructure into a city or doing anything about cars, it's making a little disney area where people can walk. Using traffic manager to set roads as car-free is way better than this.

I'm looking at it and it does seem useful if you use it in much larger expanses, like if you want to set up a superblock system and ensure that cargo traffic stays out of the majority of the area.

The fact that it means the game will properly support pedestrian-only roads, even if it's limited to doing them inside special areas, is a much bigger deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

sounds like lazy bullshit but also sounds very true to how car-free zones are viewed in nearly every american city :smith:

I'm constantly confused why this game from Finland is so American.

dragonshardz posted:

The fact that it means the game will properly support pedestrian-only roads, even if it's limited to doing them inside special areas, is a much bigger deal.

I guess it does provide something for modders to work with--making it so you can do zonable ped roads anywhere without needing the district seems like it should be simple enough, as someone who knows nothing about Skylines modding. Would be more convenient than having to mark roads manually.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe Finland has adopted a bunch of Americanisms wrt land-use patterns or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

I'm looking at it and it does seem useful if you use it in much larger expanses, like if you want to set up a superblock system and ensure that cargo traffic stays out of the majority of the area.

That was my interpretation, is there anything stopping you from designing a big district with a centralized distribution center for its businesses and garbage services and then making it entirely pedestrianized?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

That was my interpretation, is there anything stopping you from designing a big district with a centralized distribution center for its businesses and garbage services and then making it entirely pedestrianized?

I think that this is exactly how it is intended to be used. The DLC lets you make largely car free cities, you basically just need arterial roads allowing vehicles to reach a pedestrian zone's access points.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 15, 2022

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/punishedgarage/status/1574068250563919873/

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Disgusting. But also I've been here. Sometimes I just want to make suburban hell-sprawl.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol the walmart parking lot is still only about a third as big as it should be

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm a fan of the 8 lanes of stroad with two cars on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

they really needs to get TMPE so they can disable pocket cars, enable the advanced parking AI and make sure that nothing is pedestrian accessible in order to get the true experience