Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
the only acceptable use is low-budget cat soap operas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwhDa7k0IM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
edit: nm

rotor fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 15, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1570200957899739136

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah im insecure so what, who isn’t these days

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i challenged elon musk to an irl fight and got insta-banned. 9 year old account with >800 followers just gone no appeal or nothing oh well i guess

lol that happened to me when i made fun of petersons benzo coma

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Jonny 290 posted:

ban the loving tiktok speech voice

https://friend.camp/@casey/108528667367079799

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha wow

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

omfg lmao so glad I clicked

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ahahaha

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lmfao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/asimbawe/status/1570392964584841217

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I highly recommend reading the quoted thread here for some top tier incorrecting

https://twitter.com/borgposting/status/1569538130335907841?t=1MCZCc0_dbzWgxn2DdaNOA&s=19

did you know planes are just crashing constantly because of luggage weight hacks?

shout out to the guy saying "is this why they weigh my fat rear end every time I fly AA?" and getting ignored in favour of "do your own research people!"

planes are constantly crashing due to weight and balance issues, but it’s all general aviation people or lovely skydive operations doing suicidally dumb stuff. i can’t recall any recent airline crashes where weight and balance was an issue

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DuckConference posted:

planes are constantly crashing due to weight and balance issues, but it’s all general aviation people or lovely skydive operations doing suicidally dumb stuff. i can’t recall any recent airline crashes where weight and balance was an issue

idk about you but i have to be on a plane next month and i am going to be freaked the gently caress out that everyone around me knows the luggage weight lifehack

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

i looked for the hell of it, there were only 6 airline crashes this year. the only big one was a Chinese 737, the rest included a DHL airfreight jet and 4 small puddle jumpers

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Somewhere Sagebrush has suddenly broken out in a cold sweat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

idk about you but i have to be on a plane next month and i am going to be freaked the gently caress out that everyone around me knows the luggage weight lifehack

another fun fact is that, in order to save fuel and reduce noise complaints, airlines usually have their pilots calculate (via the flight computer) the minimum power required for each takeoff, rather than going full throttle every time. this is based on the current environmental conditions, the available runway length, and the expected all-up weight.

so maybe everyone did the luggage hack, your plane doesn't lift off in time and skids off the end of the runway and explodes, and it actually did have enough extra engine power to take off, but using it would have cut into the airline's profit margin.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Can't wait for the time about 24-72 hours from now where ticket prices go up because they hire extra people to stand in front of the baggage check to make sure nobody's doing this. sweet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fine I'll do some Sagebrushing in his stead.

Not many crashes these days but if you browse avherald.com then you'll see that there's one depressurization or engine failure every other day and I can't imagine it's very fun to experience one of those as a passenger even if the danger is fairly minor.

Particularly depressurization, because from a passenger perspective the masks drop, the engines suddenly go very quiet, then the plane noses over into like a 20 degree descent and the speedbrakes deploy making for a very bumpy and rapid descent. This is all part of an intentional emergency descent procedure of course, but to a layman it seems like the plane is suddenly crashing. It's a good thing that hypoxia causes intoxication and mild euphoria.

fake edit: holy loving poo poo it's Sagebrush welcome back man

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

another fun fact is that, in order to save fuel and reduce noise complaints, airlines usually have their pilots calculate (via the flight computer) the minimum power required for each takeoff, rather than going full throttle every time. this is based on the current environmental conditions, the available runway length, and the expected all-up weight.

so maybe everyone did the luggage hack, your plane doesn't lift off in time and skids off the end of the runway and explodes, and it actually did have enough extra engine power to take off, but using it would have cut into the airline's profit margin.

lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Talked about planes so hard Sagebrush returned from posting Valhalla

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"Yospos is not a place one returns to, artiste," he said, swabbing the bar in front of Sagebrush with a filthy cloth, the pink manipulator whining.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i always send the pilots a bottle of scotch and a thank-you note before i fly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also im surprised to hear there's not any weight sensors on the landing gear to tell the pilot how much the airplane weighs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The weight limit for luggage is set so that if everyone goes over by a little bit the plane is still OK to fly.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

The weight limit for luggage is set so that if everyone goes over by a little bit the plane is still OK to fly.

did you just skip this whole page?? there's a way to get around that now!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rotor posted:

also im surprised to hear there's not any weight sensors on the landing gear to tell the pilot how much the airplane weighs

stackoverflow says there are, but they're expensive and need calibrating

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

stackoverflow says there are, but they're expensive and need calibrating

pff, so do I, they aint special

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm super pleased that I posted a tweet so bad it brought sagebrush out of self imposed exile.

You're a good poster Sagebrush.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I've been on multiple regional flights out of Buffalo and the Midwest where attendants have had to move some chonkers around the cabin to trim the plane out. Hats off to them for telling someone they're too fat to fly as diplomatically as possible.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hi Sagebrush

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hello all. thank you for the nice thoughts.

rotor posted:

those do exist, but as we see again and again in airlines, they usually aren't installed because it would cost money.

also the weight of an aircraft can only be accurately measured on a dead-calm day or in a hangar, because if there is any wind on the wings they will be assuming some of the airplane's weight.

here is another fun factoid about loading. airplane landing gear is on hydraulics and the plane gradually squats down as people get on board. but the jetway is somehow always level with the plane's door throughout the boarding process. how does that work?

look to the right next time you are getting on a plane:

that little wheel rolls against the side of the plane. when the plane sinks down, the wheel turns, and that drives a sensor that commands the jetway to go up and down and maintain level with the door. if you disobey the warning and touch it, you too can drive the jetway up and down as you like!

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

welcome back sagebrush

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Armitag3 posted:

welcome back sagebrush

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the thing is I actually know that weight is an important factor in flight safety, and there have been numerous cases of shifting cargo causing problems (also I want to say there was one involving something which had a property where it behaved like a liquid under stress and so shifted during a turn?) but going from "I got an extra 2kg on my luggage!" to "there are multiple crashes of planes all the time because of this and u never know!!!" is just great.

I guess the one tiktok star that is a) carrying tungsten cubes in their bag and 2) can deadlift 100kg with their toe is gonna be trouble

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if you disobey the warning and touch it, you too can drive the jetway up and down as you like!

lol workin that wheel like i'm magic mike scratching records and giving everybody a sick rear end pogo ride

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

going from "I got an extra 2kg on my luggage!" to "there are multiple crashes of planes all the time because of this and u never know!!!" is just great.

yeah, this is not actually a concern.

if every one of the 150 people on a 737 cheated and checked a bag that's 20 pounds over the limit, that's an extra 3000 lb. the plane's maximum takeoff weight is like 170,000 lb. even if they were right at max weight, going over by 1.7% is basically meaningless. assume it also takes 1.7% more runway and climbs 1.7% slower. meh

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

How have these TikTok stars not landed on the alternative explanation that people are just fatter and the planes are more tightly seated and that that's causing the crashes

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Sagebrush posted:

look to the right next time you are getting on a plane:

that little wheel rolls against the side of the plane. when the plane sinks down, the wheel turns, and that drives a sensor that commands the jetway to go up and down and maintain level with the door. if you disobey the warning and touch it, you too can drive the jetway up and down as you like!

I fly in 4 days. how much trouble would I get in if I did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pendragon posted:

I fly in 4 days. how much trouble would I get in if I did that

it would no longer be true that you fly in 4 days, at the very least