Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you're out of the competition there's not much reason not to. It's pretty rare to lose the expensive and reusable bits so really you're just losing frame and motor pieces that were probably getting replaced anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cool little interview with Ray Billings ahead of tomorrow nights Golden Bolt tournament. Some good information on Tombstone and some stuff he struggled with the bot design! There's no mention of the golden bolt or the tournament, but it's possible there is a slight spoiler in there if you read between lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGT21iPlEc8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo, big tournament time!

lol @ End Game playing the same games as Ribbot. I've heard they have to submit photos of their final configuration to their opponents, so that felt very much like a Hydra level of gamesmanship to go in with detachable forks that look real in the photo. End Game looks very impressive in that win.

Hypershock team seems amazed at how well they've managed to get this thing dialed in. Shoving around Skorpios like it's nothing.

Very refreshing to see a team actually test Glitch on mobility rather than just drive over and over into their huge mangler of a weapon. I think that was the first time I've seen Witch Doctor with forks, and it did not work well for them. They definitely got hung up on the floor in a critical moment and almost took a shot from Glitch because of it.

Woooooooooooooooo, got that Hypershock-Witch Doctor matchup. Gotta think Hypershock is the favorite based on recent performance.

That may have been one of the most spectacular of Tombstone's recent self-immolations.

:lmao: What a loving fight. Outstanding back-and-forth, several holy poo poo moments. I think Will Bales made a mistake in not being more aggressive. A lot of drivers seem to think "If I'm holding the center and keeping the weapon pointed at them, I am winning", but you're playing Mike Galetly's game there. He'll circle you and dive in and prod and jab until you give him an opening, which Hypershock did by overcorrecting and gyroing themself onto their side. It was pretty much the same reason Glitch lost, but Glitch probably couldn't have pursued if it wanted to.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen to Tantrum more often. Put some big-rear end forks on the front, and you're basically doing this to them:

I predict Bite Force Jr. wins the finals here. Mike Galetly will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to win.

Ayup, Witch Doctor is the Buffalo Bills of Battlebots. :(

Some nonspoilers: You can tell this was probably too much competition time at once. Everyone looks extremely worn down in the pit interviews and stuff.

They insisted this was it's own season, which makes me wonder about the two-season renewal the show got last summer. I woulda hoped that meant two more tournaments in Vegas.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ribbot got loving owned

Skorpios got loving owned :stare:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 9, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip yet again Tombstone and Witch Doctor

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well that owned and I am yet again disappointed that Witch Doctor was not the winner.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Well that owned and I am yet again disappointed that Witch Doctor was not the winner.

Twice in one event! loving brutal!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
good fights!! big hits all around.

tombstone as usual killing itself in only ways that tombstone can do. it's actually cool to watch this after knowing the results of the amazon re:mars event + his recent YT interview, but it's still unfortunate because the crazy gyro that it suicides with is also what makes it badass

witch doctor is forever cursed (heh)

discount bite force wins with those absolutely ridiculous long forks. at some point somebody is going to enter a bot that has forks longer than the body just because.

keep forgetting how absolutely dense tantrum is. it's the same weight as everyone else but so much smaller. it's better at being a useful brick than duck is.

ribbot getting owned is always fun

hypershock doing incredibly hypershock things but you can see the massive improvements to reliability they've made.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
:parrot:

Well that sure was a great episode.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

its insane because tombstone used to be the picture of consistency. it was not having issues until like s5 or something. i still remember that fight against minotaur where they were basically hitting what is the robot equivalent of a giant solid chunk of steel over and over and coming out of it fine (well, they said afterwards that they were like another hit or two away from the weapon axle basically giving out, and also that damage bit them in the rear end during the bombshell match where they lost their weapon chain, but you know what i mean)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Endgame winning is kind of an anticlimax to me, but I can't say they didn't win in very convincing fashion. Huge reminder that these guys are a juggernaut for a reason. Good card of fights overall, even if WD vs. Glitch looked like it was going to be dumb as hell at first, and Tombstone... Tombstoned.

I'm really hoping Hypershock's strong showing here can carry over into the next regular season. Seeing that bot actually running at full potential is a real delight. (Also, has there ever been any better pre-fight quote then the Skorpios team being all "poo poo, I think they made Hypershock good, we might be in trouble?")

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

its insane because tombstone used to be the picture of consistency. it was not having issues until like s5 or something. i still remember that fight against minotaur where they were basically hitting what is the robot equivalent of a giant solid chunk of steel over and over and coming out of it fine (well, they said afterwards that they were like another hit or two away from the weapon axle basically giving out, and also that damage bit them in the rear end during the bombshell match where they lost their weapon chain, but you know what i mean)

I think they made some rule changes that reduced top allowed speed for weapons that probably hurt Tombstone (and all the horizontal spinners). The dreaded shelf certainly hosed with him this season too.

But also I think the bots are just getting better and better every year. It's to the point where I don't know if Bite Force would run rampant through the field anymore if they came back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:woop:
Aw yeah that was some excellent robot fight action

Poor old Witch Doctor always being the bridesmaid, never the bride

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Borsche69 posted:

I posted an interview with Ray with Team Skorpios at the top of the page, he goes into some of the issues with the current Tombstone (or at least the 2021 version). Basically the back half of the bot has a shorter frame and he also moved the wheels slightly and is part of the issues with Tombstone. Tombstone is still hitting bots hard as always, but seems to end up flailing around after hitting something and breaking itself.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I think they made some rule changes that reduced top allowed speed for weapons that probably hurt Tombstone (and all the horizontal spinners). The dreaded shelf certainly hosed with him this season too.

But also I think the bots are just getting better and better every year. It's to the point where I don't know if Bite Force would run rampant through the field anymore if they came back.

yeah gently caress the shelf.

bite force would definitely need to up its fork game - end game is getting close to the logical conclusion with all of that.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I posted an interview with Ray with Team Skorpios at the top of the page, he goes into some of the issues with the current Tombstone (or at least the 2021 version). Basically the back half of the bot has a shorter frame and he also moved the wheels slightly and is part of the issues with Tombstone. Tombstone is still hitting bots hard as always, but seems to end up flailing around after hitting something and breaking itself.

ty i was holding off on wathcing that until after the finals. its insane what goes into trying to balance a chassis that can transport a giant heavy spinning mass

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the counter fork meta would be. It seemed like Ribbot had the right idea but that runs into the same problem Ribbot faced that it's very easy for a team to just not bring forks if you try to undercut them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder what the counter fork meta would be. It seemed like Ribbot had the right idea but that runs into the same problem Ribbot faced that it's very easy for a team to just not bring forks if you try to undercut them.

A spoon, I think

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I'm building my antweight to do exactly this.

Big, angled forks to absorb hits from horizontals, narrow tips that beat plows, and enough length that longer forks get fed into the spinner.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

The counter for Battlebots is to get them to chase you over the kill saws then smack them when they get stuck :lol:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It's really been such a pleasure watching End Game go from an amateur team that couldn't even beat an Aussie bot with a knife strapped to it, to becoming the undisputed world champ.

The real shocker is that the sport gets absolutely no promotion in NZ and literally no on here knows we're the champs, even though Discovery owns to the second biggest TV news outlet here.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Battlebots finally announced their film dates for the new season. October 18-30.

https://battlebots.com/

Also another NHRL tournament is happening next Saturday (the 17th). Not sure how many Battlebot teams will be there though since they are likely all getting ready for Battlebots.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

As if vertical spinners needed any more advantages against horizontal ones, the shelf definitely gives them another. Those corners are really brutal for a HS to get stuck in, and it is also a thing that benefits weapons that flip and fling upwards. Proof is in the pudding. Last season we had 6 zants make the top 16 and this season we had 2.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 11, 2022

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
massive news - ray billings is out for this upcoming season to focus on his hand injury. no tombstone or perfect phoenix this season is going to be weird, but i wish him the best!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aw man :( I hope the surgery goes well

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

logikv9 posted:

massive news - ray billings is out for this upcoming season to focus on his hand injury. no tombstone or perfect phoenix this season is going to be weird, but i wish him the best!

:rip:

Did he drill a hole through his hand or something

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

that sucks. i was hoping at least his son would run it if nothing else

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

:rip:

Did he drill a hole through his hand or something

hand vs saw, check out 11:47 in this interview

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Cool little interview with Ray Billings ahead of tomorrow nights Golden Bolt tournament. Some good information on Tombstone and some stuff he struggled with the bot design! There's no mention of the golden bolt or the tournament, but it's possible there is a slight spoiler in there if you read between lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGT21iPlEc8

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
they'll probably hype up swamp thing as the new tombstone replacement for the upcoming season, as it shares one of the same builders w/ tombstone (rick russ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbwYMOXzw8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

they'll probably hype up swamp thing as the new tombstone replacement for the upcoming season, as it shares one of the same builders w/ tombstone (rick russ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbwYMOXzw8

Woo boy, I like a lot of what they've got going on there. Nearly instant full speed and supposedly the blade won't stop when it hits something. Should be pretty good if it can move around ok.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i'd like it a lot more if i felt comfortable about their ground game. end game et all are probably gonna eat them for lunch

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

Definitely crazy to not have Tombstone at Battlebots. Surprised he didn't try to hand off the bot to his son at least to run at the event, although I guess that would still be hard since Ray probably wouldn't be able to stay out of the pits if he was there anyway.

Hope some more fun news starts coming out on teams and new teams going to the event! Most likely will have to wait until Team Skorpios starts running the prefilming Vlogs from the event again like they did last year.

Also interesting to note, Battlebots updated their website to call last season the 2021/2022 season. So assuming they are going to make this upcoming event the 2023 championship instead of 2022. Also probably more likely they won't start new episodes until 2023.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://battlebots.com/rules/

New rules! There's some sort of method to appeal judge's decisions now, you're allowed to limp along, and no unstick timer any longer are the big things I see. Instead if no one engages for 20 seconds the match ends and goes to judges' decision. They're ditching the new out of the arena rule that never mattered too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 14, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

New rules! There's some sort of method to appeal judge's decisions now, you're allowed to limp along, and no unstick timer any longer are the big things I see. Instead if no one engages for 20 seconds the match ends and goes to judges' decision. They're ditching the new out of the arena rule that never mattered too.

Yeah that new rule about counting out seems like a huge improvement.

"If you're moving at all, you're alive" is how I read this. Much, much better to have it be as obvious to everyone involved as possible whether a robot is alive or not. The old subjective measures left way too much as judgment calls.

I dunno why it's a 20-count though.

VVV Ah, I see

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 14, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure it's always been a 20 count. They always tell drivers they need to see some movement. Then start the 10 second count a short time after that warning.

It is interesting though, basically forcing teams to keep destroying a bot that would just be counted out before.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Surely nothing is stopping a team from just letting dropping the controller and getting counted out? I get that the rules don't actually allow forfeits, but at the same time it's not like they can force anyone to push forward throttle to run in circles with their effectively disabled bot?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheKnife posted:

Surely nothing is stopping a team from just letting dropping the controller and getting counted out? I get that the rules don't actually allow forfeits, but at the same time it's not like they can force anyone to push forward throttle to run in circles with their effectively disabled bot?

They used to like to play up that there is no tapping out in Battlebots (smaller events and lower weight classes allow tapping out). But yeah, a team could absolutely just give up and not move. I remember a fight where someone got pissed off because they asked their opponent to just let them be done and got popped again anyway.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

There was a Tombstone versus Gigabyte match, where Tombstone manage to pop Gigabyte's who shell off, without actually doing much damage to the rest, so Gigabyte was basically turned into an RC car. Team Gigabyte tried to forfeit and the ref said they couldn't. Cue Gigabyte driving around the box in a panic trying to avoid Tombstone, who was also trying to avoid Gigabyte. Then Ray called across from the box, "Stop moving, John!" Which they did and got the count-out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheKnife posted:

In the rules at least there isn't anything that would prevent this. But also Battlebots specifically is a competition where they actually approve which robots are allowed to compete. They are not going to deny a team like End Game or Tombstone from going to a future event by effectively forfeiting a match. But one of the smaller teams? Who knows.

And I guess even more direct. The "selection committee" even picks which robots get to move forward in the competition itself. Entertainment factor is one of the criteria for getting in the final 32.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 14, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Skorpios #8 coming together and they are also bringing #4,5, & 6 to filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4ErebiMzo

Also for those interested, NHRL is running 2 streams on Saturday. https://www.youtube.com/c/NorwalkHavoc Not sure if there will be many Battlebot teams making the trip though since it's within a month of when they need to be in Las Vegas and not sure how much notice they got from Battlebots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RBA Starblade posted:

Aren't there situations where team members appear in different jerseys during competition such as Blip and Tantrum? That seemingly is against the rules.

I guess it's OK for teams to help each other out however as long as they're only officially listed on just one form.