Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

God damnit. How do people fall for this as legitimate?

https://presend.io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ7DG7IJ38

Dude literally named some finance biz after himself. Buncha buzzwords and has a 12 year old promoting it.

website posted:

PreSend protects your entire portfolio and every transaction you send for just $0.02 per transaction, plus a 00.10% aggregated fee of the entire transaction! (Send a $100 transaction, fully protected, for just $0.12!)

I have never seen two leading zeros before. I wonder if they want people to mistake 0.1% for 0.01% or even 0.001%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
If you make an ad that only an idiot would click on, you've guaranteed that all your clicks come from idiots. Isn't that the thing with spam emails being deliberately badly written, so that only stupid people click on them and the scammer doesn't waste his time with anyone smart enough to eventually see through the con?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jjack229 posted:

I have never seen two leading zeros before. I wonder if they want people to mistake 0.1% for 0.01% or even 0.001%.
Edit: I'm a moran

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

thekeeshman posted:

If you make an ad that only an idiot would click on, you've guaranteed that all your clicks come from idiots. Isn't that the thing with spam emails being deliberately badly written, so that only stupid people click on them and the scammer doesn't waste his time with anyone smart enough to eventually see through the con?

That only matters if you need to devote individual effort to each scamee that has to pay off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

evilweasel posted:

That only matters if you need to devote individual effort to each scamee that has to pay off.

Only the smart scammers realize that.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

thekeeshman posted:

There is a very interesting paper about this, published by Microsoft of all places

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/why-do-nigerian-scammers-say-they-are-from-nigeria/

"By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

It took me a while, but I was able to turn the dude around before he sent a penny to the scammers. But I told him outright, in clear terms, that he was targeted for this because he was by definition an easy target. And at a minimum should always maintain skepticism on literally anything people try to promote to him.

Just by asking basic questions and showing him the presend dude's linkedin, which is hilarious by itself. https://www.linkedin.com/in/larry-holisky-a714739/ (is this okay to link? no?) The fun part is that the presend guy's links to websites that are gone despite claiming to be current jobs, and at best he was a cashier in the past. Clearly someone ready to do all the crypto heavy lifting and programming!

I still think my buddy is hosed and going to fall for something else, but at least not this one. I'm sure this will turn into more stories in the future as he comes to me with more pitches of rags to riches ideas that are only $1500+ to invest!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Residency Evil posted:

Lotta boomers ITT who don't understand that my emotional support pit comes with me everywhere.

"Can I bring your dog something to eat and drink? Maybe a dish of water and a toddler"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There's a pub near me where for a long time they had a cat, which was frequently dozing on a windowsill or trying to beg food off customers. I have no idea if it was actually allowed by regulations or not.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look at all the companies no one's heard of he has founded, that lasted two years. Maybe this time.bis ship has come in!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Look at all the companies no one's heard of he has founded, that lasted two years. Maybe this time.bis ship has come in!

obviously I need to sign up for his newsletter so I don't miss these once in a lifetime offers from this deeply intelligent and technical individual. I mean if my POS system goes down he'll even know how to reboot it! :gonk:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I think the spirit of this thread is more in line with this blog post:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/charge-market-rent/

“A week ago I made a post about investing in mobile homes and everyone got angry. Here’s why I’m right.”

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Residency Evil posted:

“A week ago I made a post about investing in mobile homes and everyone got angry. Here’s why I’m right.”

I read just the headline and got mad, what an rear end in a top hat

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I skimmed the article and am also of the opinion that that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The CAPITALISED ALL-CAPS HEADINGS give it the appropriate tone, too: a Boomer lecturing a teenager while they push their dinner around with a fork and try to wish themselves dead.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

My grandpa owned a mobile home park, ~30 homes all told, rented them all out. He got in big trouble with the IRS and had to sell a couple houses he bought down here and once he died my mom and her sister had to deal with the mobile home park. It sucked. They wanted nothing to do with it but his most recent wife was being a massive pain about the will (he did not leave her much, she had already inherited a lot from her previous dead husband) so the attorney for them said not to sell the park yet, because then it would look like they just wanted money. My mom and aunt had to constantly go to North Carolina from Florida and Texas, respectively, to deal with poo poo from that hellhole my grandpa was leeching people with.

I have to give my mom credit she was at least trying to fix up stuff that was broken though (everything). One house was having some kind of trouble with the septic system, and my mom was like yeah of course we'll fix it. My aunt argued that the septic system for the whole park was getting overhauled in a month so he could wait, and my mom was like "he can't flush his loving toilet and you want him to wait a month???" so it got fixed. My aunt is generally a nice person too but I guess landlord brainworms are hard to avoid.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Antioch posted:

There is a very interesting paper about this, published by Microsoft of all places

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/why-do-nigerian-scammers-say-they-are-from-nigeria/

"By sending an email that repels all but the most gullible the scammer gets the most promising marks to self-select, and tilts the true to false positive ratio in his favor."

On the other end of the scale

https://twitter.com/deathtospinach/status/1569652410246733827?s=12&t=uxH4pKVSTw8_yBnqj3RgXA

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Glad to see the spirit of 419eater live on into the 2020's

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

sticksy posted:

Glad to see the spirit of 419eater live on into the 2020's

I was waiting for a picture of a guy with a fish on his head.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's an interview with a guy who was hugely successful in the floppy disk industry disk industry in the 1980's, decided to stay in the floppy disk business after CDs/DVDs/USBs, lost money in the floppy disk business for decades afterwards, but kept in it and weirdly started turning a profit again around 2010.

quote:

We Spoke With the Last Person Standing in the Floppy Disk Business

Tom Persky is the self-proclaimed “last man standing in the floppy disk business.” He is the time-honored founder of floppydisk.com, a US-based company dedicated to the selling and recycling of floppy disks. Other services include disk transfers, a recycling program, and selling used and/or broken floppy disks to artists around the world.

quote:

So here I am, a small company with a floppy disk inventory, and I find myself to be a worldwide supplier of this product. My business, which used to be 90% CD and DVD duplication, is now 90% selling blank floppy disks.

quote:

When people ask me: “Why are you into floppy disks today?” the answer is: “Because I forgot to get out of the business.” Everybody else in the world looked at the future and came to the conclusion that this was a dying industry. Because I’d already bought all my equipment and inventory, I thought I’d just keep this revenue stream.

quote:

20 years ago I was actually in the floppy disk duplication business. Not in a million years did I think I would ever sell blank floppy disks. Duplicating disks in the 1980s and early 1990s was as good as printing money. It was unbelievably profitable. I only started selling blank copies organically over time.

quote:

I would say my last buy from a manufacturer was about ten or twelve years ago. Back then I made the decision to buy a large quantity, a couple of million disks, and we’ve basically been living off of that inventory ever since.

quote:

About two years ago a guy called me up and said: “My grandfather has all this floppy junk in the garage and I want it out. Will you take it?” Of course I wanted to take it off his hands. So, we went back and forth and negotiated a fair price. Without going into specifics, he ended up with two things that he wanted: an empty garage and a sum of money. I ended up with around 50,000 floppy disks and that’s a good deal. Sometimes I also get a company that’s cleaning out a warehouse and they find pallets of floppy disks. They figure out through my site that I still buy them and contact me. There’s a constant flow.

quote:

Another thing is that I don’t know what my inventories are worth. I know that ten years ago I bought floppy disks for eight to 12 cents apiece. If I was buying a container of a million disks, I could probably get them for eight cents, but what are they worth today? In the last ten years they’ve gone from ten cents to one dollar apiece, and now you can sell a 720KB double density disks for two dollars. I just don’t know what the market will do. It’s very hard to run a business when you don’t know what your product is worth.

The dual BWM is that he has been selling them for 40 years and still has no idea what to charge for them and that people are actually paying $1 million for 500k floppy disks.

quote:

Who are your main customers at the moment?

The customers that are the easiest to provide for are the hobbyists – people who want to buy ten, 20, or maybe 50 floppy disks.

I want to know what a "hobbyist" with a collection of 10 floppy discs does with their collection.

quote:

You speak quite highly of the floppy disk. I wonder, have you formed a personal bond with the medium over the years? What do floppy disks mean to you?

To me, the floppy disk is a highly refined, technical, stable, not very hackable, way to get relatively small amounts of data where you want it. I grew up in the days of the Sneakernet and at the time, the floppy disk was how we moved information around. It’s a really remarkable thing. There’s a beauty and elegance to them. I can see how complicated they are, and what an elegant solution they were for their time. I’m not a watch collector, but I have friends who are. The beauty of a finely made watch is something to behold. Even though it might be less reliable than a $19 clock, it is a work of art. Just consider the human effort that went into its making. The same can be said about the floppy disk.

quote:

Do you also use floppy disks in your personal life, outside of the office?

I have to admit, the answer to that question is sadly no.

quote:

There seems to be a new wave of interest in retro media. I was wondering if you see evidence of this in your business, for instance, from people that approach you for new projects that utilize floppy disks?

One of the things that I’ve seen a lot is the use of floppy disks as badges at conferences. We sold a lot of disks for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some governments use a surprising amount of them because of old systems, old hardware, etc. There was a politician in Japan who just made the news for declaring "war on floppy disks" in an attempt to root out all the remaining government systems using them.

edit: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62749310

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

South Korea issues arrest warrant for Do Kwon, Luna drop nearly 50%

quote:

A court in South Korea has issued an arrest warrant for Do Kwon, the founder of Terraform Labs, escalating its probe into the crypto ecosystem whose two tokens lost $40 billion in value in a span of days earlier this year.

LUNA, the new token of the revived ecosystem, dropped as high as 48.4% to $2.23 apiece on the news

Do not pass go and go directly to jail

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was in school w that guy. struck me as kind of a douchebag so i avoided him after meeting him once

bigger douchebag than i thought

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I want to know what a "hobbyist" with a collection of 10 floppy discs does with their collection.

Presumably, they put them into their Apple IIe or similar system that only takes floppy disks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

To be honest if I had a floppy disk drive and a floppy disk I'd lose at least an hour absent mindedly putting it in and ejecting it again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

a lot of his take from a moral stance appears to be "the poo poo you do is unethical already so why not add to it??"

which: lol

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a lot of his take from a moral stance appears to be "the poo poo you do is unethical already so why not add to it??"

which: lol
Dude is a loving doctor, what a piece of poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ham Equity posted:

Dude is a loving doctor, what a piece of poo poo.

Well, I'm not sure I'd call him a doctor anymore. He figured out that:

1) You can make money with a personal finance blog that caters to doctors
2) You can make a LOT of money by selling ads for disability insurance/investment advice/real estate advice/online courses, while pretending you have a personal finance blog.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's an interview with a guy who was hugely successful in the floppy disk industry disk industry in the 1980's, decided to stay in the floppy disk business after CDs/DVDs/USBs, lost money in the floppy disk business for decades afterwards, but kept in it and weirdly started turning a profit again around 2010.

The dual BWM is that he has been selling them for 40 years and still has no idea what to charge for them and that people are actually paying $1 million for 500k floppy disks.

Cool piece!

Here is the source: https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/we-spoke-with-the-last-person-standing-in-the-floppy-disk-business/

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Do floppy disks deteriorate over time? Seems like there's a big problem to this business model if no one's manufacturing them anymore.

EDIT: VVVVVV oh yeah to be clear this guy seems cool and I'm not looking to be super-critical, I'm genuinely wondering how long floppy disks last in storage

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 15, 2022

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I thought that interview was rather charming, not BWM. Dude is 72 and seems to have had a reasonably successful career and a sense of humor and curiosity about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tippecanoe posted:

Do floppy disks deteriorate over time? Seems like there's a big problem to this business model if no one's manufacturing them anymore.

EDIT: VVVVVV oh yeah to be clear this guy seems cool and I'm not looking to be super-critical, I'm genuinely wondering how long floppy disks last in storage

It depends on what you're using them for.

"I wrote a bunch of data to this disk when it was new, how long will it still be readable for?" is one question, "I bought this years-old blank floppy disk, can I write data to it and use it to boot my vintage computer" is a different one. His disks are probably still good for the latter use case.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Floppy disks will store data for a surprising amount of time if you keep them safe and never expose them to strong electric/magnetic fields or high humidity.

There's always a really lucrative market for making outdated parts for stuff that used to be standard. The trick is that everyone was making it at one point so you have to wait out the culling of existing stock and the end market really only supports 1 or 2 suppliers. See also Vacuum tubes and Cobol programmers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The junk collector posted:

Floppy disks will store data for a surprising amount of time if you keep them safe and never expose them to strong electric/magnetic fields or high humidity.

There's always a really lucrative market for making outdated parts for stuff that used to be standard. The trick is that everyone was making it at one point so you have to wait out the culling of existing stock and the end market really only supports 1 or 2 suppliers. See also Vacuum tubes and Cobol programmers.

My company hires entry level people at $70k with no programming background so they can teach them Cobol because apparently it’s like career poison if you don’t want to work for a bank or an insurance company and even then there is a big shift away from it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah the hilarious thing about COBOL is no programmer wants to do it because "it's dead", and yet we always seem to be desperate for COBOL programmers and the youngest person is our COBOL department is like...48?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The thing is that a lot of banks use it or used to use it. We are shifting away from using a cobol application for loan decisions but it will take years, and then we will need to keep it around as long as regulators want to audit loans that were originated in the old system. Sometimes that’s loans that are literally decades old that they want to look at for one reason or another. But aside from that we still have a mainframe application that is in use by tens of thousands of users across the company and of course they don’t want to pay for new licenses for something else, and migration to something else would be a total nightmare.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Jabor posted:

It depends on what you're using them for.

"I wrote a bunch of data to this disk when it was new, how long will it still be readable for?" is one question, "I bought this years-old blank floppy disk, can I write data to it and use it to boot my vintage computer" is a different one. His disks are probably still good for the latter use case.
At my job, someone had a request to retrieve old data off floppies. The hardest part was finding a USB floppy drive. The data is from the 90s and was still fully intact.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

therobit posted:

The thing is that a lot of banks use it or used to use it. We are shifting away from using a cobol application for loan decisions but it will take years, and then we will need to keep it around as long as regulators want to audit loans that were originated in the old system. Sometimes that’s loans that are literally decades old that they want to look at for one reason or another. But aside from that we still have a mainframe application that is in use by tens of thousands of users across the company and of course they don’t want to pay for new licenses for something else, and migration to something else would be a total nightmare.

At a certain point, those loans will be from so long ago, and the odds of regulatory interest so low that paying a fine if anyone wants to look at the loans is cheaper than keeping all of that stuff.

Unless you're in a jurisdiction where the fines are sky high because they're really meant to drive an offending institution into bankruptcy, of course.

Then you just keep training new cobol programmers like it's some kind of monastic tradition and you're retaining the essential knowledge of all of civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

My company hires entry level people at $70k with no programming background so they can teach them Cobol because apparently it’s like career poison if you don’t want to work for a bank or an insurance company and even then there is a big shift away from it.

Sorry, $70k for entry level with no programming background? Are they hiring now?