Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ruvik at least had a physical presence, you were in his nightmare world and his influence was witnessed throughout. The villains of 2 are like children playing in their corner and they only antagonize you because you need to encroach in their space for plot reasons. It’s the difference between Freddy and Jason. Freddy will get you anywhere, Jason is just tired of kids loving in his woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the problem with this analogy is freddie is a charismatic, scary character and ruvik is extremely not either of those things

al-azad
May 28, 2009

True there’s only one Freddy Krueger and one actor who can pull it off but the thematic disconnect was one of the biggest points against TEW2 for me. Everything in the first game is the dream of a C-tier Resident Evil villain and it all makes thematic sense but TEW2 has this 60s village the evil org constructed and their industrial mental backrooms and the two primary villains have their own private lairs where they’re minding their own business until Alpha Squad shows up on their doorstep.

E: by nature of it being an open world game there’s no rush to TEW2. Even the invincible not-Laura monster is tethered in place.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
the similarities between evil within and shadows of the damned are pretty interesting

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadows is pretty neat. I’d probably find it cheap and full of that early 2010s stink of stiff third person shooters if I replayed it now but it’s also a game with total disregard for the player and I respect that. I remember you absolutely need to upgrade the rapid fire weapon to actual defeat the final boss and while I don’t think there’s a way you can soft lock yourself it is the difference between a tough fight and never missing a shot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really want to see what Suda's original vision for Shadows was before EA execs decided they knew more about the kind of game he makes than he does

(and then not to be outdone Kadokawa execs did the same thing in the opposite direction with Killer Is Dead)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I should really finish Killer 7.

Re: cum ghosts, the fungus monsters of RE7 are very jizz-adjacent.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If Your Jizz Looks Like Mold Please Seek Professional Help

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

al-azad posted:

I should really finish Killer 7.

Re: cum ghosts, the fungus monsters of RE7 are very jizz-adjacent.

RE6 six had a cum monster big enough to engulf an aircraft carrier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

modern fromsoft games need to step up their blow job ghost monsters

its a disgrace

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/fatal-frame-mask-of-the-lunar-eclipse-coming-to-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc-in-early-2023

KT just announced ports of the Wii Project Zero game to everything current and its first release outside Japan.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Aw yeah kings field is some good old stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/fatal-frame-mask-of-the-lunar-eclipse-coming-to-ps5-xbox-series-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc-in-early-2023

KT just announced ports of the Wii Project Zero game to everything current and its first release outside Japan.

"Alongside graphical and costume improvements we have added the wetness feature from Black Maiden by popular demand"

E. Joking aside I'll totally play this, I had a good time with Black Maiden even though the maps were kind of confusing.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 13, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weird it doesn't say that

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Speaking of RE7 if you want a cool AA version of it I suggest Fobia.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's nowhere in the game that's damp enough for the characters to get wet. Anyway I'm glad there's an official remaster with localization, the old fan translation actually got a lot of little things wrong in translation which I think gave some who played it misconceptions about the story.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1569713422400475138?t=Zs9l3Maaa-eP8MPUMt3JdA&s=19

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blockhouse posted:

It's "psychoplasm" which never actually get explained in game but is based on a real made-up idea of there being like a primordial ooze but for consciousness

The post nut clarity is the highest form of consciousness but that only happens when you rid yourself of the ooze. They have it all backwards!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I got a high tolerance for bad monologues and a weakness for FMV games, so I have a soft spot for Sam Barlow. I finished Immortality today and was all-in from the intro, and the overall plot and mood was almost specifically made for me with the on-point and 100% earnest recreations of bad cult movies and weirdo plot twists.

I was totally engrossed in the plot, but the game mechanics really do blow. Say what you will about Her Story, it encouraged you to take note of things and revisit clips to look for missing clues. Immortality seems really sloppily put together in comparison, where you just kind of click on whatever and hope for the best. Luckily I had my controller plugged in and heard it rumble when I was supposed to pay attention.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but lmao it is absolutely not going to win anyone over if they didn't already kinda like Her Story or Telling Lies, so take that for what you will.
If anything, Immortality’s mechanics are a refinement of Her Story’s clunky, Zork-ish command prompt design. They’re certainly not conducive to sequential organizing, but then Immortality is decidedly not a puzzle game in quite the way Half Mermaid’s previous offerings were.

Immortality is engaged with non-linearity in a way they or practically any other narrative game I can think of has been. I think when people talk about game design and non-linearity they almost always mean a flexible linearity in choice or level design - either multiple methods of approach to a linear experience (Far Cry base assaults, etc) or a choice of linear experiences that can be engaged in any order (Choosing which planet to visit next in KOTOR, etc). But ultimately the gestalt thing is linear - the way the games begin and the way they end don’t differ overmuch. The basic shape of the game structure remains the same. Immortality really does not do that, and it’s very weird, but it’s also very purposeful, and does something new.

In Immortality, the point is not to take disordered elements and rearrange them so that a particular configuration unlocks a particular, unified understanding. If you approach it like you approach Her Story, which was very interested in chronology and piecing together a linear sequence of scenes, you won’t get much out of it.

The narrative, such as it is, does not particularly get a lot of juice from being put into chronological order. You can (and should) piece together the implications of the scenes out of chronological context, using whatever you’ve seen before to make connections regardless of where they land on the timeline; the purpose is to impart an understanding of the characters and their schemes and whatever else is happening no matter what particular order you pull them in. You don’t really need to understand what the Ambrosio goings-on impart before you can understand the Minsky context, eg.

This is what I mean when I say that Immortality is a formally experimental “art” game on a very good budget. It’s like a walking simulator - people got annoyed at walking simulators, even claimed they weren’t games at all, because they expected certain formal qualities (dialogue, combat, etc) that weren’t offered to them. Art games, art film, art music, art, is all about asking the observer to try on different expectations. If you do, you’ll get a new experience. If you don’t, you’ll see the thing as lacking something.

So Immortality resembles a puzzle game but isn’t one, the way that a walking sim resembles an FPS but isn’t one. You’re not meant to go into a clip like “how does this go on the conspiracy board”, there is no conspiracy board, there is no puzzle. You are not asked to keep a journal, you are not expected to come into a new clip equipped with any real context. There are all sorts of design elements that lend themselves to this idea: The fact that new clips never begin from 00:00; the way clips are unlocked not through deliberate clue-based text phrasing but through what resembles, more than anything, a seamless hyperlink tunnel (aka a “wiki wormhole”); the way that, as mentioned upthread, hyperlinks between clips aren’t fixed between games, so there isn’t a defined structure of how the clips relate to one another.

It’s a non-linear “experience” as much or more than it is a game. In spirit it’s actually a lot more like Sleep No More than the Hitman trilogy or even Tacoma, games which directly appropriated and popularized that immersive theater program’s experimental approach to stage (read: level) design, but weren’t so committed to its broader non-linearity in narrative. Like in immersive theater there’s a sense of “always walking into a half-completed scene” with Immortality. It might let you rewind to see the full scene in a way theater can’t, but the emphasis is still on your particular experience of the work precisely as you experience it, rather than the experience broken down and rearranged after the fact.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 13, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Speaking of RE7 if you want a cool AA version of it I suggest Fobia.

Thanks, this looks dope

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Blockhouse posted:

I really want to see what Suda's original vision for Shadows was before EA execs decided they knew more about the kind of game he makes than he does

(and then not to be outdone Kadokawa execs did the same thing in the opposite direction with Killer Is Dead)

He wrote a two-volume manga that apparently incorporated elements that were gonna be in the game. https://www.believeinthe.net/kurayami.html

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And yet Immortality, at least from my perspective playing the game, has a very linear way new information is revealed to you. Like I'm pretty sure the game will never reveal why Minsky was canceled or what happened to John Durick prior to unlocking 50 clips and so on. I'd have to replay the game to test my theory but the clips themselves I'm finding are kind of superfluous, they just exist to fill in the blanks of the overall plot. In that way they are like Wikipedia surfing, my brain tells me I should be playing five degrees of separation to discovery new clips but it's more like how many times can I click on an object before it loops me back to the beginning? But now the beginning has appended footage.

William S. Burroughs coined the cut-up method of writing where he would cut out sentences from a script and rearrange them to form new structure and meaning. That's non-linear storytelling but Immortality very much has a linear plot with a non-linear presentation.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

lol Suda's wife owns

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Narrowing my eyes like Fry at Marissa’s purported age and the timing of her nude scene photo shoots in Immortality lol.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ackshully she's a billion-year-old vampire in an 18-year-old's body

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

I played it in preparation for the sequel so I didn't get to it until years later but for me it was an amazing experience. It's like an anthology of console horror tropes and I ate that poo poo up but I also understand the frustration that the game is pretty opaque and cruel. Like the beginning of the game is a pretty hard sequence of stealth segments with lots of traps and zero ammo then it gradually becomes Resident Evil 4 but then dips into Amnesia run-from-invincible-monster scenario. It's also kind of dumb that the base game tells you literally nothing about its plot, they don't even mention the name of the evil org outside of the DLC.

But drat even like 4 years later I can run through every event in my head step by step. The ever evolving Lisa Trevor monster, the gargantuan parking garage beast, the invisible bastards you have to spot by them displacing physics objects, the couple of levels that's all clever environmental traps you can lead enemies into triggering, an actual good chase/turret section against a creepy rear end spider boss, and the agony crossbow is the greatest survival horror weapon I loved it.

It's definitely memorable so far. I think I am near the end now. I am at chapter 10. Chapter 8-9 kinda gives you a slight idea what is going with the plot, Ruvik's background and w.e the brainlinking thing is. It has a lot of the scare tactics used in Japanese horror that I love like looking at a painting then suddenly a creepy lady comes out of it. I get the surreal aspect of it can be offputting but it's great for moving the plot and level around. One minute you are in some fishermen village, next you are outside a church then underground then in a mansion. It's also not too linear there is atleast a bit of room to explore and find extra items but it's still focused. I like in the Mansion part Ruvik randomly starts appearing at intervals.

The only thing for the plot they could have done is maybe do a bit of a intro for the characters and their background but you literally get into with no idea. I got Jacob's Ladder vibes from this game even moreso than Silent Hill which has a lot of easter eggs and character names.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ga9LF2dFE0

Don't know what the hell this is but it's certainly a Look

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basic Chunnel posted:

It’s a non-linear “experience” as much or more than it is a game. In spirit it’s actually a lot more like Sleep No More than the Hitman trilogy or even Tacoma, games which directly appropriated and popularized that immersive theater program’s experimental approach to stage (read: level) design, but weren’t so committed to its broader non-linearity in narrative. Like in immersive theater there’s a sense of “always walking into a half-completed scene” with Immortality. It might let you rewind to see the full scene in a way theater can’t, but the emphasis is still on your particular experience of the work precisely as you experience it, rather than the experience broken down and rearranged after the fact.

I think you just sold me on this game

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's on game pass, so you might as well give it a go.

Basic Chunnel is not wrong about what the game is, but I still greatly detested it as an experience by the end lol. It all depends on how interested you are in actual meat of the game.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's nowhere in the game that's damp enough for the characters to get wet. Anyway I'm glad there's an official remaster with localization, the old fan translation actually got a lot of little things wrong in translation which I think gave some who played it misconceptions about the story.

Oh, no, I guess I'm going to have to play this again, woe is me.

(I love Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, and I'm incredibly happy that it's finally getting an official release outside of Japan.)

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Alongside graphical and costume improvements we have added the wetness feature from Black Maiden by popular demand"

I think my heart stopped for a minute.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hakkesshu posted:

lol, the trailer literally has the Black Lodge in it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It's on game pass, so you might as well give it a go.

Basic Chunnel is not wrong about what the game is, but I still greatly detested it as an experience by the end lol. It all depends on how interested you are in actual meat of the game.

It is starting to lose me the more meta it's becoming. I was enjoying it as a Darkplace but Dead Serious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1I_znpzrk

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Its a shame that Beware was never iterated on.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ive been playing the latest puppet combo adjacent game, night at the gates of hell, which is what happens when gamemaster anthony invites all his favorite italian zombie horror directors to his birthday party, and its decent, it nails the mood even if most of the dialogue thats intended to be funny is really bad

but it feels like the developer didnt know how to plot out what you do in the levels so they just have you running from one side of the map to the other repeatedly to pick up the event item that you cant interact with before you need it. youll see A KEY or A HAMMER on the ground or something and the game just wont acknowledge they exist, and its not like the game is lacking in inventory slots, it just feels like they made these levels and then realized that you could finish them in like a minute if you could sequence break by picking everything up and panicked

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hakkesshu posted:

This feels like a bloober team game, but that may just be the incredibly overt reference.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It certainly looks like a Bloober game. Bad VA, a little bit of better-than-average art design stretched over levels that don’t look at all interesting to traverse (many corridors). Visual motifs (anachronistic tech, CRT monitor heads) that may have been strange at some point in the past, but have lost all novelty even without a specific referent.

Horror devs like Bloober and most indie FPH studios seem to assume that a slightly strange image (guy with TV for head, guy with head made of TVs, etc) is enough to create an effect in players, but as level / gameplay designers they’re mediocre at best, and they either don’t bother with or can’t figure out creating tension and dread when the teaser-ready image isn’t onscreen.

I’ve played a few Bloober games and I was only impressed twice, both bits from Observer where tricks of perspective and parallax are used in novel ways. Nothing else unexpected or surprising happened at any point. It’s like playing a Dean Koontz novel.

Like when you put your “turn around, oh no! the mannequins people have blocked off the exit!” bit in your debut teaser, you’re not exactly setting up your audience to expect anything revelatory. But then a lot of people just want to see the hits played.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
it looks like some played PT, Control, and like, Little Nightmares or something and was like "hmm this would be a good game" and then threw a christmas tree made of TVs into the mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im sure its fine that when i tried to go to the developer's site to see what other games they'd made i got an error saying the site didn't exist :v: