Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i do think implementing a mulligan isn't an awful idea, but it is short-sighted. the direction of powercreep seems to be trending towards outright playing on your opponent's turn, your combo starters are also hand traps now, and if it were only for the going second player, that would give them an exponential advantage. if both players get a mulligan, that encourages a shift towards sacky decks & FTKs which are now considerably more consistent vs decks that might trade power for consistency which wouldn't gain as much benefit

you couldn't really "fix" ygo short of resetting the whole thing and starting from scratch. which, again, rush duels are cool. please play rush duels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dear Konami please bring rush duels to the west thanks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maxx "C" is not a good solution honestly. It hits a lot of fair decks too.

Cleretic posted:

This is something very weird to me about overall Yu-Gi-Oh outlooks.

Board with literally more negates than it is possible to have cards to play in your resulting turn? Absolutely fine, you can live with that.

A single floodgate? That's just unfair, needs to be banned.
That's what I mean by overly strong endboards. Halqdon should be banned, and given that both the TCG and OCG have it's only a matter of time before Master Duel follows. But game-winning floodgates always lead to bad gameplay because rather than working out how you're sequencing your plays to best bait out your opponent's interactions you're just hoping you hard drew your out to that specific floodgate. Didn't draw the out? Might as well hit concede.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If you want special summon ungatable, then make normal summon unlimited. :colbert:

More fun for everyone

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 13, 2022

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

summon stratos search stratos summon stratos search stratos summon stratos pop 2 s/t

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What about junior journey format?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think yugioh is fun and most ideas presented to 'fix' it would make it actively worse and are very stupid.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

What about junior journey format?

evidence that you can make any ruleset work if you liberally ban every single card that makes it stop working

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Vandar posted:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think yugioh is fun and most ideas presented to 'fix' it would make it actively worse and are very stupid.

We found the Halqadon Adventure player.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maxx "C" is not a good solution honestly. It hits a lot of fair decks too.

This is the issue with any sort of 'equalizer' tbh- yes, the top decks do a bunch of degenerate poo poo, but there's a bunch of non-tiered stuff that plays in a similar pool. Are the people who play those decks supposed to just suck it up and accept they don't get to even pretend to play?

This isn't even a hypothetical issue either, because the current Master Rules gently caress over so many pendulum archetypes. Like, Majespecter are literally unplayable with the current rules. And I understand that decks like PePe needed something big to completely kill them, but I don't like that it came at the expense of every other pendulum deck ever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nyaa posted:

If you want special summon ungatable, then make normal summon unlimited. :colbert:

More fun for everyone

So rush duels.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Special summoning 5 times a turn is the real degeneracy, not Maxx C

Even if it has gotten Ash'd more than used successfully

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This is dumb and bad but I keep wondering what a card game would be like if your card limit was shared between your field and hand

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Zodack posted:

This is dumb and bad but I keep wondering what a card game would be like if your card limit was shared between your field and hand

for modern ygo it would probably give the going second player a considerable advantage, since the equalizers like raigeki & lightning storm & dark ruler no more would free up your capacity to build a stronger board than the one you just broke

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Vandar posted:

:emptyquote:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'd love to have some sort of support for Edison Format in Master Duel. Get my Dark Simorgh Turbo on.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, hypothetically, if I had 8k gems saved up and wanted to spend them on making a deck for the equally hypothetical Synchro/XZY festival and was more interested in having something on theme than actually winning... What Archtypes have both types of monsters? So far I've found Mathmechs.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Virtual World is also all about Synchros and Xyz

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Noble Knight's are also synchro and xyz. Blue eyes. DDD.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Blue-eyes has an XYZ?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ardeem posted:

Blue-eyes has an XYZ?

Don't remember off-hand if it has a specific one, but it can probably go into some generic rank 8s.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's a bunch of rank 8 dragons they went into in the 2016 format like the galaxy eyes and cipher cards, uhh dark matter dragon, and some generic dragons that just look like blue eyes xyzs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Blue-eyes has an XYZ?

Blue eyes has really good rank 8 options, i dont think they have a blue eyes xyz itself tho. And they are dragons so still fit the theme a little

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In terms of Xyz monsters that are designed to be Blue-Eyes, there's Legendary Dragon of White, which is one of those tournament prize match winner cards, and Thunder End Dragon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, BEWD doesn’t really have a playable specific Rank 8 but they’re extremely, extremely good at taking advantage of generic Rank 8s, and have been since they first dropped.

First options that come to mind are Galaxy-Eyes stuff, Number 38 for being Number 38, and Number 23 for a soft OPT negate that can go into Zeus.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 14, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ardeem posted:

Blue-eyes has an XYZ?

Cipher/Galaxy eyes are just space blue eyes

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cipher photon galaxy got some plays. Well they can make a negate and searcher monster with a big rear end, a conditional drident link, a rather nasty negate trap, a big eye, and a huge chungus.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

girl dick energy posted:

Yeah, BEWD doesn’t really have a playable specific Rank 8 but they’re extremely, extremely good at taking advantage of generic Rank 8s, and have been since they first dropped.

First options that come to mind are Galaxy-Eyes stuff, Number 38 for being Number 38, and Number 23 for a soft OPT negate that can go into Zeus.

It is exceptionally funny that Dark Magician got Xyz monsters, and Blue Eyes got Synchro. When Dark Magicians whole thing is being a single wizard, and Kaiba consistently summons multiple Blue Eyes White Dragons.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

It is exceptionally funny that Dark Magician got Xyz monsters, and Blue Eyes got Synchro. When Dark Magicians whole thing is being a single wizard, and Kaiba consistently summons multiple Blue Eyes White Dragons.

Both decks swarm pretty good, i think the idea is that xyz reflects how yugi relied on friendship while synchros reflect how kaiba was more of a loner.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

Both decks swarm pretty good, i think the idea is that xyz reflects how yugi relied on friendship while synchros reflect how kaiba was more of a loner.

I'm pretty sure Blue-Eyes WHITE Dragon got Synchro because they have a white border while Dark Magician (in Japanese, BLACK Magician) got Xyz because they have a black border. Similarly, Red-Eyes BLACK Dragon also got Xyz because they have a black border.

The lack of a Duel Monsters important character ace with purple/violet, green, or blue in their names has stopped a lot of interesting possibilities from happening.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The lack of a Duel Monsters important character ace with purple/violet, green, or blue in their names has stopped a lot of interesting possibilities from happening.

I mean, Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, and Dark Magician all have rituals and fusions, and I'm not sure what color green is supposed to mean here? Pendulum?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The second wave of support for Kshatri-La is loving insane. Welcome to the new meta, geez.

https://ygorganization.com/burningsoul/

Ardeem posted:

So, hypothetically, if I had 8k gems saved up and wanted to spend them on making a deck for the equally hypothetical Synchro/XZY festival and was more interested in having something on theme than actually winning... What Archtypes have both types of monsters? So far I've found Mathmechs.

Fire Fists. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My 2022 tin had a Secret Rare DPE and I'm disgusted. Disgusted I tell you!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think they kinda regret giving Dark Magician and Blue-Eyes either of those mechanics, since they've yanked them both back to Fusions and Rituals for the past couple waves. I dunno why, since without the Synchro support Blue-Eyes is even less playable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Justin_Brett posted:

I think they kinda regret giving Dark Magician and Blue-Eyes either of those mechanics, since they've yanked them both back to Fusions and Rituals for the past couple waves. I dunno why, since without the Synchro support Blue-Eyes is even less playable.

At least Blue Eyes Branded is fairly strong, even if Branded is doing almost all of that work.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Justin_Brett posted:

They bring in the blue eyes synchro support then they want to kill a format. Though good luck now compared to 2016 lol.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

I mean, Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, and Dark Magician all have rituals and fusions, and I'm not sure what color green is supposed to mean here? Pendulum?

Of course they have Rituals and Fusions, those existed in the DM era (though I did point out Fusion nonetheless, that was probably unimportant). Blue was meant to be Links, not Rituals. Green was meant to be Pendulum, yes.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

oh, i thought you meant spell and trap retrains of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Welp, I finally gave into the temptation and downloaded Master Duel after not playing since I was a kid, though I did play Hearthstone until just last year.

I’ve only been playing through the tutorial/solo stuff so far (picked the Cyberse starter deck because hey, new mechanic = better, right?), and was just wondering:

-Are any of the structure decks on sale right now worth getting? Staying F2P at the moment

-Is the Monarch deck actually good? Started playing that storyline last night, but obviously they’re set up to make the archetype look good when you play it