Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

thiccabod posted:

Just an all around unpleasant woman, right to the end. Died literally during the Super Bowl one year. Mid-game. Chargers vs 49ers, whenever that was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKkGSmNVAs&t=32s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i like circus peanuts but then it seems i like all the bad candy, unless it's green apple flavored

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
candy corn gets an unfair rap. It's by far one of the better options among the canonically "bad" candies; there's a huge gulf between it and circus peanuts.

bad candy tier list:

S tier: tootsie rolls, milk duds, raisinets
A tier: candy corn
B tier:
C tier: dots
D tier:
F tier: circus peanuts, sweethearts, smarties (USA), black licorice
spawn of satan tier: necco wafers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dots are great, especially when eaten alongside their largely ignored licorice counterparts. I am prepared to stake my life on this opinion

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

DontMockMySmock posted:

candy corn gets an unfair rap. It's by far one of the better options among the canonically "bad" candies; there's a huge gulf between it and circus peanuts.

bad candy tier list:

S tier: tootsie rolls, milk duds, raisinets
A tier: candy corn
B tier:
C tier: dots
D tier:
F tier: circus peanuts, sweethearts, smarties (USA), black licorice
spawn of satan tier: necco wafers

Sweethearts and smarties are great, F candy corn and raisinets. I've never had NECCO wafers, but they're from Boston and are likely part of the black mass.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This actually whips rear end, I've done it before. You can also vacuum seal cut watermelon with flavored syrups (like jalapeño) and it forces it into the melon and makes it taste incredible.

Oh yeah, no arguments there, it's very effective. Sorry to the other goon who I inadvertently triggered their PTSD.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ninurta posted:

Sweethearts and smarties are great, F candy corn and raisinets. I've never had NECCO wafers, but they're from Boston and are likely part of the black mass.

if you like the chalkiness of sweethearts and smarties, you'll LOVE the rock-hard limestone of necco wafers

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

DontMockMySmock posted:

if you like the chalkiness of sweethearts and smarties, you'll LOVE the rock-hard limestone of necco wafers

There's two tiers of sweehearts: the chalky Valentine ones, and the ones that have actual flavor, crunch, and embossed lettering.

Edit: The latter are probably Sweet Tarts, in hindsight. Point taken.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I used to hoard SweetTarts against the coming of the kid apocalypse. They were the center of my universe. Hell I want some now. If they're not all 120% blue raspberry now.

Reading that I was like, Sweethearts? wtf are those? Oh you mean those heart things with the messages from Valentine's day boxes? Who even counts those

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

First of May posted:

I think we can all agree that Necco wafers are the worst candy.

I have a roll of Necco wafers in my cabinet right now. Name another widely-distributed candy that has the following flavors:

Lemon
Lime
Wintergreen
Cinnamon
Orange
Licorice
Chocolate
Clove

There's nothing like it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I accidentally figured out sweet tarts and coke before mentos and diet coke started making the rounds

drat I kinda miss sweet tarts

they must just be sugar and citric acid and "flavors" but such is candy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah eventually I realized I could just keep a thing of citric acid in the pantry

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I can eat about 3 candy corns a year before it becomes Too Much. Those three are actually pretty good. But anything more is awful, awful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes they're literally called foam bananas and I love the little bastards. They are sometimes hard to find but yeah store brand sweets often have them and barratt still make them I think (as they do lots of childhood sweets)

I just always had assumed circus peanuts were like, actual peanuts.

I think it was from one of the previous iterations of this thread that I learned that "circus peanuts" are not, in fact peanuts (in the style of those sold at the circus, I guess?).

And yeah, bananas are pretty good as far as lollies go. Definitely better than most of the other stuff you'd get in those generic mixed lolly bags (strawberries and cream, milk bottles, jubes, freckles, etc.) Although freckles aren't bad either, and jubes are fine except that the ones you get in mixed lollies are always weirdly hard like they've been stored too long. Or, at least, such was my experience 25-30 years ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

rydiafan posted:

People attack perfectly mediocre Candy Corn while vile poo poo like Circus Peanuts flies under the radar.

They gotta get a holiday deal, is why. Candy corn gets resurrected continually by Halloween.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Circus peanuts? Gross. I'll just keep eating my Shrimp and Bananas like a normal person.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

empty sea posted:

I can eat about 3 candy corns a year before it becomes Too Much. Those three are actually pretty good. But anything more is awful, awful.

:same:

I do like the candy apple flavored ones, and I spotted some blackberry flavor ones a week or so ago.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I think it was from one of the previous iterations of this thread that I learned that "circus peanuts" are not, in fact peanuts (in the style of those sold at the circus, I guess?).
NZ's Pineapple Lumps remind me very much of chocolate-covered circus peanuts in flavor and texture, if you have those in Australia. They tend to be gummier, though, probably just because they're smaller.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crust First posted:

Circus peanuts? Gross. I'll just keep eating my Shrimp and Bananas like a normal person.

God I can eat an entire loving bag of those in one sitting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve never had Circus Peanuts and now I feel like I need to try some. Where am I gonna get them? Like can I roll up into a 7 - 11 and get some?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there any other inversions of the British folksy principle where an American English term is terse and literal and the British English is flowery or cutesy?

My mind is blown that circus peanuts are literally just foam bananas.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I love circus peanuts. I will not hide this shame

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve never had Circus Peanuts and now I feel like I need to try some. Where am I gonna get them? Like can I roll up into a 7 - 11 and get some?

Yes, look for the cheap bags of bulk candy and they are always there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is there an official circus peanuts brand? I don’t want no fake rear end imitation circus peanuts, if that exists.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there an official circus peanuts brand? I don’t want no fake rear end imitation circus peanuts, if that exists.

They are all bad but Brach's makes a branded version

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Crust First posted:

Gotta add some edible false teeth into the mix

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seekers of forbidden knowledge: beware!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whooping Crabs posted:

They are all bad but Brach's makes a branded version

Brachs it is then. Pretty sure my grocery store has a bunch of Brachs down the candy isle, gonna try and get me some circus peanuts on the way home from work, gently caress I can’t wait!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's genuinely baffling that people wouldn't like them, I think they're literally just sugar and isoamyl acetate.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they should be marketed under a more accurate name: lovely marshmallows

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's genuinely baffling that people wouldn't like them, I think they're literally just sugar and isoamyl acetate.

I throw up at the smell of bananas so i assume id do the same to circus peanuts

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I read that Lucky Charms were invented because some dude at the cereal company used to cut up circus peanuts into cheerios. So there, without circus peanuts you never get to marshmallows in cereals.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The standard bananas we currently get are Cavendish bananas, Circus Peanuts, and most other banana flavored things, are based on the extinct Gros Michel cultivar

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I went google image searching for circus peanuts and came across this 5 star rated work of art.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

empty sea posted:

Oh, but have you seen this?

So Vanilla (ice cream) - OK
Fruit Punch - Sure
Popcorn - OK, maybe if you like Popcorn Jelly Belly or Mike & Ike, sure

Hotdog & Hamburger - No loving way.

This is like those Taco Truck jelly beans that came out around Easter, with flavors like taco and horchata

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

The standard bananas we currently get are Cavendish bananas, Circus Peanuts, and most other banana flavored things, are based on the extinct Gros Michel cultivar

People say this a lot but I am pretty sure it's actually just because isoamyl acetate is a very easy to synthesise chemical and forms the overwhelming majority of the flavour component of bananas, and also apparently pears. It is easily produced as an oily liquid and smells overpoweringly of synthetic banana flavour because that's just what it is.

So if you want to make something lovely fake banana flavoured you just dump a bunch of that into it and you get something that makes people think banana very quickly but doesn't actually taste like a banana because bananas are natural things and thus have lots of other elements to them that lovely sweet companies don't care about. It doesn't taste like any actual banana that has ever existed, it just tastes more like a banana than it does anything else.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Iron Crowned posted:

Not extinct! Just not commercially viable. And modern tasters have put this candy flavor and haven't found it to hold up. Gros Michel is maybe sweeter with a softer texture, but still doesn't taste like the candy flavor.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, but have you seen this?

Hotdog & Hamburger - No loving way.

They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t ask whether they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they didnt have the capability or inclination to do huge ensembles of flavorants in the late 19th century where they invented all this stuff