Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've never tried a TK other than Settra. Khalida is fun now? What is her gimmick, big monsters? Also she is labelled as a "sword duellist" on her card.

her gimmick is shooting the poo poo out of enemy while she herself holds the line with a buncha chaff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've never tried a TK other than Settra. Khalida is fun now? What is her gimmick, big monsters? Also she is labelled as a "sword duellist" on her card.

Khalida boosts ranged units, so your skelly archers get better. Also snek units as well I believe.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

Let's be honest, that's a pretty basic feature found in other titles for ages now =/

As if I could bring myself to play three kingdoms. Pfft, no rat men!?

Seriously, I ostensibly love history, and military history, and would like to know more about China, and the game looks great and has tons of neat features like how your lords clash in little cleared spaces as the soldiers gather around, but adding fantasy elements to TW has just ruined me.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Serephina posted:

Let's be honest, that's a pretty basic feature found in other titles for ages now =/

all the more relevance to the post, which is about why 3 is better than 2!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Ravenfood posted:

Any major differences between Landmarks of Legend or Immortal Landmarks? It'll be awhile before I start a new playthrough but looking to keep an eye on interesting mods.

I think the former gives access to new RoR when you build the new landmark buildings, while the latter is typically global buffs to a particular unit type in your roster based on that landmark. Pretty sure both work together as well.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's why you ALWAYS do Chivalry, Mannan, and Valour and no other pledges.

I thought in my Alberic campaign the Desert/Jungle siege would be easier because well there's a ton of jungle climate there. I found out that apparently if the AI sallies out it doesn't count towards the pledge. Technically I understand why, but I didn't have any siege attackers so the AI would always end up riding out on the end turn.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm really liking the Yin-Yin custom lord campaign. Lots of neat new units and stuff to deal with. Constantly being attacked by Japanese Nipponese pirates (this AI faction has its own unique units) in Cathay is fun. And your legendary lord gets chased around Lustria by armies of dinosaurs, Jurassic Park style.

E: pretty sure its on the first page for most popular mods but here's the link too
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2809744514

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 15, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's possible to share saves in TW3 right? I know streamers play "impossible" saves that get sent them.

I'd like to "share" a play through where we take turns playing some turns before passing it around, anyone else up for that? I'd be up for whatever but "Karl Franz gettin' hosed" sounds interesting. I apologize in advance for losing Altdorf.

Edit: gonna recruit a hero and name it after myself and follow my progress with :ohdear:
Lol that would be pretty fun for sure but if my time spent doing Medieval II hotseats taught me anything it's that some sort of Total War Joker will immediately sabatoge the campaign by turn 6. That or someone will corrupt it by installing a save breaking 'Chaos Troll Big Boobs' mod

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Khalida is all about shooting and snakes

lots and lots of snekks

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DaysBefore posted:

Lol that would be pretty fun for sure but if my time spent doing Medieval II hotseats taught me anything it's that some sort of Total War Joker will immediately sabatoge the campaign by turn 6. That or someone will corrupt it by installing a save breaking 'Chaos Troll Big Boobs' mod

But I'd think we'd have every previous save right? Presumably we'd all talk and post a bit about what went down on our watch and if the next person loaded it up and found a disingenuous mess they could just bring it up here and load the next earliest? I really doubt anyone will throw a fit like that, but still, should be simple enough.

I plan to tank the game quite honestly :pseudo:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm really liking the Miao Ying custom lord campaign. Lots of neat new units and stuff to deal with. Constantly being attacked by Japanese Nipponese pirates (this AI faction has its own unique units) in Cathay is fun. And your legendary lord gets chased around Lustria by armies of dinosaurs, Jurassic Park style.

E: pretty sure its on the first page for most popular mods but here's the link too
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2809744514

Oh, that's really cool. Thanks for the rec, might give it a try!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of Diplomacy, what exactly hits my reliability? I think it's cancelling treaties if it's been less than 10 turns after signing them, and attacking with non-aggression pact or better online (or recently cancelled), but I'm not sure.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Diplomacy, what exactly hits my reliability? I think it's cancelling treaties if it's been less than 10 turns after signing them, and attacking with non-aggression pact or better online (or recently cancelled), but I'm not sure.

Those are the instances the game warns you about, but where it gets hosed up is when your allies do dumb poo poo and drag you into it

For example, if a defensive ally attacks another defensive ally you should not lose anything for breaking the treaty with the aggressor imo. All this allied unit poo poo is making me do alliances which is like ugh.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fat Samurai posted:

Reliability is based entirely on how trustworthy you are at keeping agreements. It will only be affected by breaking treaties and stuff before the diplomatic penalty timer has gone away. Your reliability can be tanked by other factions being idiots, like if an ally declares war on another one of your allies, for example, forcing you to break an alliance without warning with one of them (either by siding with the aggressor, the defender, or staying out of it entirely) which is why lots of people advise only keeping a handful of allies around.

Individual factions opinions of you is based on a wide variety of factors, but that doesn't play into reliability at all.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Settra is pinching his non-existent nose bridge. It's around turn 80, and after turning Arkhan into an accordion (don't ask), it felt like me and Volkmar would get along splendidly. Then Kroq and Tictactoe wardec, so they get hosed up. The Exiles of Khorne got wiped out, then Kroq and Tictactoe beaten up and converted to vassals. So of course we get the Oracles of Tzeentch wardec on us. Next turn, Volkmar attacks my lizard pets. Then Teclis decides he's allergic to breathing. Oh, and orc from the north.

It seems like with every enemy wiped out, another dozen pops up.

Tagaziel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 15, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

After absolutely amazing Ghorst campaign I wanted to follow with something at least close as nice. Ikit wasn't it (despite absolute highlight of whole Dorf stack eating a nuke obliterating 80% of them), Slaanesh also wasn't that great (even if N'kari is amazing blender of a monster), poor Orks are behind the power curve. So I've ended up with Skarbrand. Dude has utterly abyssmal economy, but the fact that you're encouraged to just go sacking from settlement to settlement is pretty sweet. I'm fielding 2,5 armies, hovering at -4000 gold, and still ending on top since whole western desert peninsula can be endlessly farmed. The moment I lose the momentum I'm gone, but until then it's the skull taking all day every day.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Orcs are behind the power curve

but gobbos ain't

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, nothing kills my desire to play this more than doing a long, sluggish siege battle only to get a crash at 90% balance of power.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Volkmar is Settra's bitch, as is most of the southern continent. Playing Tomb Kings once you snowball is like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

Orcs are behind the power curve

but gobbos ain't

Yeah, I've assumed Grom is still great, but I wanted to check the Savage Dancing Dude. It was going well, but everyone started declaring on me, and I quit once Durthu went out of his way to destroy that port at the end of the gulf. We didn't even share any border. Elves are assholes.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ravenfood posted:

Any major differences between Landmarks of Legend or Immortal Landmarks? It'll be awhile before I start a new playthrough but looking to keep an eye on interesting mods.

They are mutually compatible. You have to put one of them after the other in the load order right now (I forget which, read the descriptions), but they do different things.

Mercrom posted:

I don't see how. Most good spells are worse and vortex spells can no longer be partially aimed. Buff spells are still not worth using.

Vortex not being able to initially aim is lame as hell, but buffs own bones for the most part. Dead units are usually better, still, but they reduction in power of a lot of spells made buffs a lot more consistent in comparison and since the whole game is about how you trade with other units, buffs can give you the edge or let you hold out/crush a flank that much more efficiently and get to snowballing the fight. Anything that gives leadership, MD, or MA are great, and strong WS effects are amazing as well.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How are the TK cavalry units now? I remember carrion being wet paper towels offensively and defensively and the first tier or two of skelehorsemen being very mediocre for cost. I did recruit a couple of chariots for Khalida's army and they always seem to do well mowing down Queek's clanrat mobs though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They're free so for that amount of cost they're pretty good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
carrion still tissue paper. just recruit some more every turn if you want em. everything they got thats not limited or is really easy to get is basically worst in class but the cost is great

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

How are the TK cavalry units now? I remember carrion being wet paper towels offensively and defensively and the first tier or two of skelehorsemen being very mediocre for cost. I did recruit a couple of chariots for Khalida's army and they always seem to do well mowing down Queek's clanrat mobs though.

Melee units of all sorts are more effective across the board in TWW3 campaign modes compared to TWW2 unless you played on normal exclusively, because they lessened many of the melee-exclusive AI bonuses in Hard and Very Hard/Legendary. (Also, many infamously anemic heavy infantry units got their own separate buffs.) If you play single-player exclusively and there was a TWW2 melee unit that seemed cool but didn't make the grade, definitely revisit that unit in TWW3's IE.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 15, 2022

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Eltharion Update:

the solution to my Orc problem was to befriend Tyrion and use influence to get him to around 80 relations. which let us join in a defensive alliance and required him to join my ear for it. he swept them pretty hard then N'kari war dec'ed us. the fix for that one was to have captured enough lords to be able to turn on Vyresse mists and cause attrition when he came to siege me then I captured him during that battle. N'kari is currently sitting in elf jail and I think is too powerful to let run around. I'm now tier 3 and have ballistas coming online so I can take back the northern part of the donut

Chad Eltharion has been fighting every turn and is now level 20 on turn 20. I decided to not spend any money in the badlands as I needed the combat money to stay solvent and upgrade the home base while supporting a second stack. I now own Ekrund, my new forward base, and have befriended the Dawi. at this point I need to take back Galbaraz for the goldmine and secure the coast

something for all HE players always invest in an administrator lord early for sweet sweet discounts in the long run. they're just there for hiring and firing while you build up provinces. I got 2 so I can cycle between them as needed

you start this campaign with a trait-less HE Princess and I forgot how much of a badass they were. I won't use her long term as I'd want a better / actual trait but early game she's been wrecking face. I'm debating getting another with the buff to ranged attackers or switching to an Archmage to go patrol the ocean and make some cash that way

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

They're free so for that amount of cost they're pretty good

Of course I completely forget that the TK gimmick is free units.

Since for the most part their skeletons are lackluster should I just go for ranged versions of each cavalry whenever possible? At least that way they can harass and annoy AI armies to try and break up their formations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
skelly archers have the peasant archer thing where they have absolute fucktons of model count

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TaintedBalance posted:

I honestly think they really goofed here, the winds system sucks rear end. It should be a buff/debuff on spells on daemons, not whatever the hell garbage it is now. Certain factions and starts get REALLY hosed by what is functionally just a big RNG box by it and you have zero control over it early game, when spells are actually the most important because you really need those edges to carve out your initial territory. "Oh cool, I can cast burning head...once. Great."

Huge garbage, 0/10, maybe the worst change in game. I was more forgiving of it earlier, but now that I have enough sessions under me, when it goes bad, it just sucks the loving fun out of certain runs and can end up crippling stacks just because RNG. Give everyone a baseline of 100 reserves, have the winds effect how quickly it refills and at the extremes make it effect spell mastery. Make channeling stance give you +10 -15 reserves and make the winds strength for you army 1 category higher in terms of its buff/debuff effect. There you go, I fixed it. As a bonus, in high winds, make overcast apply extra spell mastery on top of the base buff effect, but also do extra damage on miscast. Let me cast a wind of death so strong it one shots my necromancer but also destroys the enemy army.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but I basically never use magic

If my lord has some spells then cool, else I always forget about it and don't bother hiring a wizard ever. More guns fixes everything anyway

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

skele horseman's are only good for chasing down routing units and tying down ranged squads. They're quite good at it, but they have a sharp limit on what they'll do without melting. The nekaharan horseman's are quite a bit beefier and while they aren't as good on the charge as chariots they do more killing when stuck in so you can leave them in someone's flank without worrying about them melting in less than a minute

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

Also got an offer for a trade deal with Beastmen which is funny because I didn't even know they traded.
Greenskins are literally the only faction that cannot trade and I find this unfathomably stupid.

I hope CA or a mod fix it one day.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alctel posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at the game but I basically never use magic

If my lord has some spells then cool, else I always forget about it and don't bother hiring a wizard ever. More guns fixes everything anyway

Yeah that’s a terrible idea. Magic is incredibly powerful and not using it is just saying “I would rather not have a single unit that can get 100-500 kills per fight easy”.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Greenskins are literally the only faction that cannot trade and I find this unfathomably stupid.

Demons can't either.

Orcs can't use resources, though. They can't build the buildings.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

pretty sure this is lore accurate and the other races have no use for the loose teeth economy :orks:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds like they should get to trade w any undead factions

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At the very least they would need to periodically double check that whatever orcy mechanic (saking, raiding) is supposedly balancing the lack of trading remains valid.

Still, you'd think the orcs could still trade and make treaties, this feels like a distinction that seemed less weird when it was an exception of one faction out of four, not one out of ... Two dozen?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm not sure what I was expecting but Zhao Ming in reptile mode does not stand up to grimgrog super well, yeesh.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

At the very least they would need to periodically double check that whatever orcy mechanic (saking, raiding) is supposedly balancing the lack of trading remains valid.

Still, you'd think the orcs could still trade and make treaties, this feels like a distinction that seemed less weird when it was an exception of one faction out of four, not one out of ... Two dozen?

orc economy is dead simple; always be fighting. you can raiding encamp at 0% movement and you get sacking bonuses. there is a tier 3 building that raises that rate factionwide. so after getting a couple of them you start making ridic money. that's on top of their ability to snowball via lord sniping

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ravenfood posted:

You can use both but one has blank building art and bonuses that don't work and the other is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The main benefit of buffs and debuffs in TWW is clapping your hands like a seal at the pretty lights and colors, but you're often enough in a situation where you can't optimally use your damage spell of choice, so getting a poor return on WoM isn't exactly kneecapping you.

Very little in the game is worthless (mentioning grail reliquae here because I know someone will chime in and defend their very fun and flavorful Bret infantry army), so people in this thread seem to boost the strengths of just about everything. But a lot of units and spells are just not competitive or cost-effective and the vast majority of buffs and debuffs fall into that category.