Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Oracle posted:

Kids are using apps and watching youtube videos for school that deliver paid ads right to their impressionable little eyeballs, and political ads don't get filtered.

Believe me, I know - I have two school age kids. And it isn't even just YouTube - back during 2016 I had to have a talk with their daycare because one of the teachers there decided to tell the class of 3 year olds that Hillary Clinton was a scary monster who wants to murder babies in their mommy's tummies and they should tell their parents to vote for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lager posted:

Believe me, I know - I have two school age kids. And it isn't even just YouTube - back during 2016 I had to have a talk with their daycare because one of the teachers there decided to tell the class of 3 year olds that Hillary Clinton was a scary monster who wants to murder babies in their mommy's tummies and they should tell their parents to vote for Trump.

Holy poo poo.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I am a high school social science teacher in the southern half of Illinois.

This morning a student asked why Pritzker was letting all criminals out of prison and why won’t cops be allowed to arrest murderers anymore? It took me a moment to figure out he was talking about the cash bail law.

After explaining it they asked “why would people lie about what the law actually does?” I have to remind myself that we are in school to learn about these things.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

I am a high school social science teacher in the southern half of Illinois.

This morning a student asked why Pritzker was letting all criminals out of prison and why won’t cops be allowed to arrest murderers anymore? It took me a moment to figure out he was talking about the cash bail law.

After explaining it they asked “why would people lie about what the law actually does?” I have to remind myself that we are in school to learn about these things.

Yeah we tend to think kids are more savvy because of all the exposure to the internet and etc etc but they're still just kids.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not locking up poor people indefinitely without being convicted of a crime means letting murderers kill your family

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Not locking up poor people indefinitely without being convicted of a crime means letting murderers kill your family

well you know they're all just aspiring murderers who got caught on a technicality like Capone with tax evasion.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
temporarily embarrassed innocence

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nash posted:

Spent a part of today talking with students that “no, the new law doesn’t turn Illinois into the purge.”

TikTok is pretty wild right now. If you're in Illinois, you're just getting bombed by stuff about the new cash bail law. Some really over-the-top racist stuff.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The only card republicans can play is the racist one. We saw it with CRT in other states. There’s probably some people who can be swayed still. Lots of scared and racist white folk out there. I don’t think it’s enough to change the election though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

The only card republicans can play is the racist one. We saw it with CRT in other states. There’s probably some people who can be swayed still. Lots of scared and racist white folk out there. I don’t think it’s enough to change the election though.

Maybe not statewide but local elections you bet your rear end it can.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Niwrad posted:

TikTok is pretty wild right now. If you're in Illinois, you're just getting bombed by stuff about the new cash bail law. Some really over-the-top racist stuff.

On youtube at least, I guess the algorithm knows me well enough to not bother showing me any of that poo poo, I mostly just get Pritzker stuff. It still sucks though, because a lot of his ads include video/voice clips of Bailey's insane abortion screeds, and it's like: Yes, I am already very aware of how hosed up this is, I would rather not have to subject my ears to it over and over again, please and thank you.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Oracle posted:

Yeah we tend to think kids are more savvy because of all the exposure to the internet and etc etc but they're still just kids.

Yeah. It’s a constant reminder to myself on this. “This is why we are in school” I didn’t follow or understand politics at all until much later after high school so I was in their same boat.

Also there is the fact that in a super red area my school treats facts as dangerous liberal propaganda. I got a stern talking to and angry phone calls after the Jan 6 riot because I was repeating left wing talking points. Those points being it wasn’t antifa and it was a crowd of Trump supporters.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

Yeah. It’s a constant reminder to myself on this. “This is why we are in school” I didn’t follow or understand politics at all until much later after high school so I was in their same boat.

Also there is the fact that in a super red area my school treats facts as dangerous liberal propaganda. I got a stern talking to and angry phone calls after the Jan 6 riot because I was repeating left wing talking points. Those points being it wasn’t antifa and it was a crowd of Trump supporters.

Oh I expect you’ll be hearing from young Braedynn’s mother about how snopes is a left wing propaganda outfit and how dare you endanger our boys in blue by filling his head with your lies about no cash bail.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Honestly the part of your post that filled me with rage was the name.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nash posted:

Honestly the part of your post that filled me with rage was the name.

How many did you have??

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I get lots of kids with names adding extra letters to be fun and unique. Brylinne, chezneigh, Mckhennah. Aidehn.

Barf

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
No, my son is named Borf

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Adblock y'all.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

No, my son is named Borf
Are you talking to me?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oracle posted:

Unfortunately education stops with children, as we have grown rear end adults repeating this sort of logic as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Unfortunately education stops with children, as we have grown rear end adults repeating this sort of logic as well.

Childhood is fleeting; stupid lasts forever.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too many schools are skipping having full time degreed librarians and kids aren’t getting enough experience with information literacy.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nash posted:

, chezneigh,

you made this up, right? Please ? :ohdear:

KDdidit posted:

Too many schools are skipping having full time degreed librarians and kids aren’t getting enough experience with information literacy.

we should link them to the official D&D Media Literacy thread

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Well this is something....

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1572266990722764801

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Play by the rules PAC

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

As far as I can tell, it's legal. It's just that the Daily Herald sold their integrity to allow fake papers to print and distribute using their permit. I don't think this is the fake papers illegally using the Daily Herald's permit. It's a shame because the Herald was a decent paper, a little right leaning from what I remember, but not a rag or anything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

brugroffil posted:

I had an argument with a coworker today who declared that Illinois was making murder legal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Idiots out in full force on that one.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
did you kill them

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Did you point out that getting rid of cash bail and replacing it with electronic monitoring will save the state a fortune?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Did you point out that getting rid of cash bail and replacing it with electronic monitoring will save the state a fortune?

Yes but what about my arbitrary cruelty the potential murders of babies the criming?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lammasu posted:

But mah purge narrative!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

JB sending me a $500 check. I assume these are COVID funds that needed to be spent because otherwise I’m sure the state still needs money.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

JB sending me a $500 check. I assume these are COVID funds that needed to be spent because otherwise I’m sure the state still needs money.

$100 tax rebate for individuals, $200 for couples, and $300 for property tax rebate.

I didn’t get the $300 even though I own my home and pay property taxes. :shrug:

Jows
May 8, 2002

You have to claim the property tax credit on your state taxes. It refunds an amount equivalent to your credit claim up to $300.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm at work and don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I believe the property tax credit ends up being something like 5% of the property tax paid that year. So for me, under $300, but I'll get something back.

Haven't gotten anything yet, I don't remember if they're sending it the same way you got your state tax refund or just a check in the mail?

Jows
May 8, 2002

I got a check in the mail. I don't remember if I owed or got a refund last year

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yes but what about my arbitrary cruelty the potential murders of babies the criming?

Apparently everyone released without bail is just instantly going to move to Alaska. This is also from the coworker who just went to court for his multiple vehicular crimes where he was caught doing hit and runs (other cars not people) and also driving with no license or insurance. Oh and getting thousands of dollars in fines has not stopped him from driving without a license.

You would think with all his crimes he would have sympathy for accused criminals but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Bobulus posted:

I'm at work and don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I believe the property tax credit ends up being something like 5% of the property tax paid that year. So for me, under $300, but I'll get something back.

Haven't gotten anything yet, I don't remember if they're sending it the same way you got your state tax refund or just a check in the mail?

It's delivered the same way your tax refund was. I do direct deposit and my property tax "refund" hit my bank last week. Still waiting on the income tax one.