Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

NES clone cpus are still made today, in China, and not fpgas or emulation. You can buy a new, off the shelf xiaobawang that functions almost identically to an NES (but kinda crappier in some ways, I've owned some, nothing ever gets sound right) at the mall in China today. They sell them at the stores that also sell anime figurine things.

Those little portable a million in one NES game hand helds, they also are not using emulation. They're just an actual clone cpu.

And then of course cartridges are still made in China too, either repros or just weird pirate stuff/putting hacks on a cart.

The only thing I can think of that isn't still made today is the FDS.

https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/CPU_variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There's also a lot of children's electronic toys that, under the hood, are an nes on a chip with a homebrew nes rom running on them, just bc it's cheap, documented well, and the expertise is easily hired bc there was a market for new nes games for a crazy long time. I know a lot of TV plug and play toys use them

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1059927031226413057?s=20&t=HgBcRzDHgCmETSSyNu2eGQ

Frank Cifaldi tweets threads about them sometimes

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Wow, are those dumped and available to grab anywhere?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

holefoods posted:

Wow, are those dumped and available to grab anywhere?

They're mostly those lovely blobs you have to dissolve away and scan so I think there's some effort there but it's slow going?

He says in the replies that some of them are dumped and will run perfectly fine in an nes emulator but I wouldn't know where the roms are available

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

They're mostly those lovely blobs you have to dissolve away and scan so I think there's some effort there but it's slow going?

He says in the replies that some of them are dumped and will run perfectly fine in an nes emulator but I wouldn't know where the roms are available

Well next step, could you put them on a flash cart and play them on real hardware? Are there games out there that are coded specifically for the NES clone chips, and not for real NES hardware?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

evobatman posted:

Well next step, could you put them on a flash cart and play them on real hardware? Are there games out there that are coded specifically for the NES clone chips, and not for real NES hardware?

I can't find the thread about it in my phone bc it was something frank Cifaldi retweeted but yes to the latter one at least. There's devices out there that are nes on a chip with daughterboards it's wild

edit: not the one I was thinking of but here's a thread on a historical 'Enhanced NES' device

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1225901174701752320?s=20&t=9JttwgBNrDz7vo-Ua29aYQ

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Sep 15, 2022

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham

Trabant posted:

Great interview with the “last man standing in the floppy disk business,” including this quote:

I bought a C64 and a disk drive early this year and wanted to transfer some demoscene stuff that requires an original drive to work, so I ordered a box of 50 5.25" diskettes from that guy. Including international shipping it cost me nearly $150 and the diskettes came all smooshed together without sleeves (I also ordered a box of sleeves but they arrived separately). Amazingly so far all of them work fine despite being at least 20 years old.

I also have a bunch of original C64 games on diskettes that somehow still 100% work despite being almost 40 years old (and probably sitting in an attic for 30 of those years)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

People have this weird idea that disks were unreliable. But they were used for ~25 for years without issue. It's only when the disk quality went to poo poo after about 2000 that the joke about them being bad out of the box becomes true.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ooo, I don't know about that. In the late-70s, a lot of disks I used were super suspect. 'An Elephant always forgets' was a meme at the time.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The floppy disk guy said that floppies were pretty good between 1985 and 2000, so :v:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I had floppies from the 80s that worked perfectly fine up through the last time I used them in 2003ish

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wibla posted:

The floppy disk guy said that floppies were pretty good between 1985 and 2000, so :v:

If my 25 Windows 95 install disks don't work I'm gonna be SO MAD!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

I bought a C64 and a disk drive early this year and wanted to transfer some demoscene stuff that requires an original drive to work, so I ordered a box of 50 5.25" diskettes from that guy. Including international shipping it cost me nearly $150 and the diskettes came all smooshed together without sleeves (I also ordered a box of sleeves but they arrived separately). Amazingly so far all of them work fine despite being at least 20 years old.

I also have a bunch of original C64 games on diskettes that somehow still 100% work despite being almost 40 years old (and probably sitting in an attic for 30 of those years)

Similar situation for me, except I scoured ebay and local markets for random floppies I could find and also ended up with maybe 50 floppies.

And similarly, almost all of them have worked just fine. The ones that have issues usually have visible physical damage.

Floppies rule.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ooo, I don't know about that. In the late-70s, a lot of disks I used were super suspect. 'An Elephant always forgets' was a meme at the time.

They had memes in the 70s?!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I keep finding floppies in my house, probably haven't been touched in decades, and most of them still work. checked some win 3.11 stuff the other day without issue. my zip disks all still worked last I checked too.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goblin week posted:

They had memes in the 70s?!

My dude, Lucas Electric has been a meme since the 1900’s

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of magnetic storage, Hainbach found a new toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJGy2ZMt2c

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What was the first storage device you had where you thought "I will never be able to fill this up!"

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1572201111989395458?s=20&t=fuFb6xvsaEeSi6Opg5QzGA

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I remember getting a PC with a 30GB hard drive and feeling like that was essentially infinite. I did remember eventually filling up the first 1GB drive I had but 30 sounded impossible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have no illusions anymore. A buddy of mine runs an awesome Plex server so I bought him a 14TB drive as a gift. It's already full.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

What was the first storage device you had where you thought "I will never be able to fill this up!"

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1572201111989395458?s=20&t=fuFb6xvsaEeSi6Opg5QzGA

I have never had trouble filling drives, but I got a 486 in 1993 with a 105 MB hard drive. It was many years before I was able to get an upgrade for the HD so I jumped from 105MB to 2GB. That was a pretty huge leap at once and changed my computing a lot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The first "we'll never be able to fill this" was when my parents got a 120MB HDD for the family PC.

For me, it was a 12GB HDD, then a 120GB HDD and then a 1TB HDD. Then I realized the folly of believing there could ever be enough storage.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
My first pc in 98 had a 4,3 gb drive, I thought that would never fill up. A few LAN parties and introduction to mp3s and Winamp later shattered that illusion.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Drives are either new or full.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think i also got a 30 gb one at some point and couldnt imagine using more than 5 or so

EatMySpork
Nov 19, 2009

Utensil of the Gods.

Nocheez posted:

I have no illusions anymore. A buddy of mine runs an awesome Plex server so I bought him a 14TB drive as a gift. It's already full.

I know the feeling, My Plex server is well over 30tb now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I distinctly remember pulling in to Microcenter and seeing big ads about hard drives hitting the $1/MB price point.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was beyond stoked when I got my $200 200gb hard drive, oh man.

Was browsing newspaper ads and say the Fry's weekly. Made a special trip down to Oregon to hit it up. Those were the days.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Sep 20, 2022

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've been helping my mom rip CDs and put a selection of MP3s on a microSD card for an upcoming trip. The only microSDs I had on hand were 1 GB and 2 GB. I doubted either could hold many MP3s. This wrongheaded idea was a combination of my memory of MP3s as being quite hefty files (which they were, compared to other everyday files, when they first gained popularity) and my knowledge that 1-2 GB of storage ain't poo poo these days. (I personally am a storage hog; I always want more, even if I don't use it all.)

Her device can take up to a 32 GB card; when I learned that could hold about ten times her entire MP3 library, I was like "Here, Mom: 2 GB will be plenty" (which was very weird to hear coming out of my mouth).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K2yeQylCk

The first PC I owned with a hard drive had 80MB. I did not get a 1GB+ drive until 1997

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Sep 20, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I once scavenged two sealed boxes of Elephant 5.25"s out of an office supply store dumpster in 1992, my Apple II clone loved the fuckin' things.

An elephant never forgets a friend *sad trunk trumpet*

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm not sure I ever had that thought, because I think my awareness of file size and drive capacity came because I was filling up drives that were not, ultimately, that much smaller than what I have now. Then, it was an 80 GB drive (I dimly remember that maybe that computer had been upgraded from a 20 GB drive, but that would be solidly before I understood drive capacity). I added other drives as I scavenged or could afford them, a 40 GB drive here, a 160 GB drive there ... I think I remember feeling like the 320 GB drive was a lot of space. That's probably the closest I ever had to that feeling.

But, when I swapped out the collection of aging mismatched drives for my current 2 TB storage drive, it wasn't a huge increase in capacity.

I'm planning on a 16 TB (or so) drive whenever my finances are in order for a New Computer, because they're surprisingly affordable, and the only thing stopping that from being my first "I'll never fill this up" is a firm conviction built on decades of experience.

(I don't know what I'll fill it up with. Movies and TV shows, probably.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm getting ready to spin up a NAS for my house that'll have like 24tb of space in the end.

And I'm really fighting hard to convince myself that I don't need to shell out for a couple of 10GbE cards and a link cable to enable ludicrous speed between the NAS and my desktop.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I labeled my first 1tb drive "Holy poo poo I own a 1 tb harddrive!"

I also gave the first computer I ever built out of 100% new components 1 gb of ram, in 2007. Because I and my LAN party buddies always dreamed of having a computer so powerful it had a whole gig of ram back in the day. And now I had it, one gig! Untold riches!

It took two months before I upgraded to 3gb because Adobe CS4 sucked on 1gb.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A slightly different story of using up computer memory:

When I was a kid (circa late 1980s), I taught myself rudimentary BASIC programming on the family's first computer (a DOS PC), partly from a book and partly from looking at the code listings on a disk of little games someone at school had copied for me. And before long, I had coded up my very first memory leak: my program (I don't remember what I was trying to actually do) ran through its infinite loop for a few seconds and then crashed with an "out of memory" error. It was the coolest crash I'd gotten yet and I was obscurely proud of myself for it, especially once I figured out how to fix it.

When I told the story to my dad later that day, he briefly became alarmed that he'd spent such crazy money for the bigger number of megabytes, and somehow I'd already "used it all up" and now we'd have to buy more. :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1572437176167862273?s=20&t=ZCGqj80xtfzXl7lQ5xtA0A

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I went from "no storage" unless you count actually storing things on paper in a big spiral notebook full of basic when I had a Vic20 (never got the tape drive or anything) to suddenly 8GB in the late 90s, I wanna say 97? I don't think I ever had any illusion that that was limitless. I knew it was a lot at the time, but, still, I don't delete things. So, then I went to everything on zip disks, just a lot of zip disks. The garbage speed of a Zip drive over parallel didn't really seem to matter much because just being able to buy dozens of zip disks constantly seemed to make up for it.

I still got files from 97 I keep in "the archives" because, like I said, I don't delete things. And I'm glad for that, even though it's gotten a little out of control with how disorganized it all is and how I've kinda forgotten what some of my backups even are backups of because there are multiple copies of some things in different places. Like, files that originated on one machine, but then spread to others, before being backed up multiple times in different sets, but whatever.

And still, it's so, so many drives now but it's still never enough. And it never will be enough, ever.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I remember when I was young there was a minor tech conference near by that held an open day, where students from nearby school could look at the stalls without paying.

One company was showing off an ultra high end server. It took a whole rack, fully filled almost 2 meters of tech.
It had 2 cool new memory expanders taking 2 or even 4 U each.
With that the system had more ram then all the hard drives I had used before that day taken together. One whole gigabyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
We had a 1 GB-Drive early enough that I received it as a hand-me-down even in the DOS-Era. I noticed that I could copy the whole Theme Park CD onto the HDD to play the cutscenes faster than our single speed CD-drive would.

There was also some weird bug in some Kellogs promotional game which somehow gobbled up more than half of that 1 GB with it's 1 Floppy-Disk-Installer.
I still connect that Kellogs Lion with "gobbles up disk drives".

I hope you've enjoyed my story, thank you.

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Sep 21, 2022