Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeahhh, that color is sick.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hey everybody, I bought the most controversial hot hatch and absolutely love it.

You’ll have to give an honest review of how they mitigated torque steer.

Congratulations! It’s a hell of a car. gently caress the haters, hot hatches are supposed to look rowdy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I really want one of those Gundam Type-Rs

Also one of the new ones

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Nice ride

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Weird that you bought my exact car, but w/e.

Keep the seats clean, the handles on the inside of the trunk to help close it are more fragile than you think, and the transmission is made of glass. There may or may not be a secret typewriter behind the dashboard and the seat height adjustment will fail at five thousand miles. Honda doesn't cover any of the above under warranty.

On the other hand, it's the most forgiving car in its class on track and with 18 inch wheels it's remarkably road trip worthy. TireRack has accurate measurements of the wheel wells and will ship pre assembled wheel/tire combinations that fit.

You lose no power in comfort mode, but it does really want to understeer in anything but typeR mode. The fake engine noise is pumped in by a module above the glove box if it bothers you, but you need to disassemble the passenger dash panel to get to it.

The clutch is excessively 'grabby' for the first few engagements when cold. Also the engine makes a mild bearing failure sound when you let off the gas at about 2000 to 3500 rpm. This is normal.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MarsellusWallace posted:

Weird that you bought my exact car, but w/e.

For a hot second I thought this was exact your car, as in, you were the previous owner. But then I saw your previous posts in this thread and saw you had a 2020. Mine is a 2019.

quote:

Keep the seats clean, the handles on the inside of the trunk to help close it are more fragile than you think, and the transmission is made of glass. There may or may not be a secret typewriter behind the dashboard and the seat height adjustment will fail at five thousand miles. Honda doesn't cover any of the above under warranty.

I admit this is the first time I've heard anything about the CTR having a fragile transmission (unless that 3rd gear grind issue counts, which I haven't gotten so far). The car is at 14k miles and the seat height adjustment works fine too. The car is a CPO so we'll see how Honda does with the warranty they gave me.

quote:

On the other hand, it's the most forgiving car in its class on track and with 18 inch wheels it's remarkably road trip worthy. TireRack has accurate measurements of the wheel wells and will ship pre assembled wheel/tire combinations that fit.

I'm definitely planning on getting a set of 18'' wheels for the winter, and I was considering swapping out the stock wheels for 18''s too, but the previous owner put a set of Michelin PS4Ss on. So I think I'll hold off on that until those get worn out.

quote:

You lose no power in comfort mode, but it does really want to understeer in anything but typeR mode. The fake engine noise is pumped in by a module above the glove box if it bothers you, but you need to disassemble the passenger dash panel to get to it.

Honestly, the difference between the modes feels pretty marginal. I've been mostly keeping it in sport mode and occasionally flip it to +R mode for funsies.

quote:

The clutch is excessively 'grabby' for the first few engagements when cold. Also the engine makes a mild bearing failure sound when you let off the gas at about 2000 to 3500 rpm. This is normal.

Haven't noticed either of these.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 4, 2022

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really want one of those Gundam Type-Rs

Also one of the new ones

OK now I really want to see one fully dolled up...and they already exist because of course: Reddit r/Gundam

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm definitely planning on getting a set of 18'' wheels for the winter, and I was considering swapping out the stock wheels for 18''s too, but the previous owner put a set of Michelin PS4Ss on. So I think I'll hold off on that until those get worn out.

Honestly, the difference between the modes feels pretty marginal. I've been mostly keeping it in sport mode and occasionally flip it to +R mode for funsies.
The wagon wheel dubs with rubber bands are wholly unsuitable for US roads, I hit a pothole on an interstate bad enough to take one out of round and broke a spoke on another one within the first 20,000 miles. One thing to watch with aftermarket wheels is that the dimensions aren't too far off of the factory; much deviation will bring torque steer back into it. You can get the OEM 19s on the previous type R from a number of importers, I found that damped bumps nicely and opened up a range of tire options. For winters I had some Enki Raijin 18s and I could feel a little bit of torque steer on them at times but generally not too much.

Similarly I liked the handling in R+ but it amplified road irregularities way too much so I was comfort in parking lots and sport almost everywhere else with R+ on known good roads. I wish the R+ colors on the tach were on sport mode too because the white/dark red contrast made the redline hard for me to pick out.

Sadly my Type R may be totaled out, will find out in a couple of weeks. If that happens and you're anywhere near DC give me a shout and I can make a deal on the winter wheels + tires and the OEM 20s.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A few weeks ago I went down to Asheville, NC and my girlfriend and I brought our bikes. I have a pretty standard trailer hitch style rack with two normal bikes mounted on it, but because my car is a Fiesta the bikes do stick out pretty significantly on both sides, increasing drag noticeably. On the way down I didn't have the cross bar for my girlfriend's bike so it was sitting up a lot higher in the wind and I averaged just over 20 MPG while driving in the 70-80 MPH range on flat terrain.

As we approached Sam's Gap on I-26 at the TN/NC border I got the rapid alert tones and a red coolant temp light. I had Torque running on my phone at the time so I glanced over and saw 242 degrees. Fortunately there was a truck brake check stop right in front of me and I was able to pull off immediately, crank the heat, and watch the temperature drop quickly down to the 230s (where the idiot gauge of course went right back to perfectly centered "normal"). I popped the hood and the coolant level was normal and the fan was spinning so nothing obvious seemed amiss.

After a few minutes of idling I realized the brake check stop meant I was at the top of a long grade so I rolled out and highway speeds with no load got me cooled down quickly.

Ambient temperature was in the upper 70s and it was raining at the time so it's not like it was super hot out, and while I wasn't driving slow I also wasn't hammering it or even exceeding the general flow of traffic.

While down there I picked up a crossbar adapter and ended up with the configuration pictured here:

Having the one bike mounted lower really helped the fuel economy and I averaged 25 MPG in the same conditions, but when we climbed Sam's Gap again on the way out the temperature started climbing as well. I was watching it this time and dropped the windows/cranked the heat when we hit 237 and was able to cool down again on the run down the hill, but then a few hours later when we were on I-77 in the Camp Creek, WV area the alarm went off again, this time we hit 244. At this time the ambient temperature was just over 80 degrees.

During the rest of the trip the coolant temperature swung between 180 and 235, mostly staying in the 200-220 range.

2015 Fiesta ST, drivetrain is bone stock, the closest to a performance mod is a panel filter so I can hear that turbo a bit better. Is this a sign that I need to flush or possibly even upgrade my cooling system, or just a sign that I should have been keeping the speed more around the truck range in the mountains?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That’s an odd one. I’d bet it’s just the drag, low oxygen at high altitude, and a turbo that doesn’t recognize that any of those things are affecting it. You are pre-remade heads (2016) though, so it might be related to that. I’d tend toward high load/drag and the slopes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Found a photo I took before we left that shows the configuration we drove down with:

Obviously with that wheel sticking up the drag was a lot worse, and asymmetrical as well.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wonder if (space permitting) it would have been better to drop the front wheels and put them in the cabin the position the rears to be behind the car.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
This is anecdotal but I’ve heard/read on forums etc. that the Fiesta’s cooling system is “fine” at best. I know my turbo gets heat soaked plenty fast with a mild tune and a drop in filter.

I plan to upgrade the IC and radiator regardless of any future mods just because. I’ve done a bunch of mountain roads (sans bikes) on hot days and never had a problem but I could easily see the extra drag and long climbs being an issue with a stock cooling system.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve been strongly considering running an e30 tune, which is supposed to run cooler due to the properties of that magical molecule, ethanol. If I can run on it, so can the fiesta.

Still gotta wonder what upgrading to bigger fans would do. We’d need diagnostics to confirm, otherwise it’s a full coolant system upgrade.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I wonder if (space permitting) it would have been better to drop the front wheels and put them in the cabin the position the rears to be behind the car.
The front wheels aren't the limiting factor, the bottle rack had to be worked around with her bike in the high position and once I got the crossbar the limit became the same as with my bike, the seat tube. The style of rack I have just forces the bikes to stick out further to the rear, and that wasn't really something I considered when buying it.

I'm going to try a platform rack and see how that fits, just trying to determine if I should take this as a warning that my cooling system is on the edge with something.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

All stock everything makes me think there’s something wrong. It should be able to handle a (relatively) small amount of drag like a bike frame. Again, you were climbing mountains and high altitude, so I can’t say that with any certainty.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy poo poo you guys have you seen the new GR Corolla? It’s really impressive looking and looks like a nice affordable thing if you’re looking for Golf R level performance, it looks really cool too!

I read online that they’re making a DCT version of this, if true this car has shot up to the #1 spot for me in terms of the next car I want to buy alongside the Kona N

https://youtu.be/lgAhcyG936U

The biggest things killing the Golf R for me is the bland look and the god awful User Interface controls, this seems to fix both those issues and is AWD as well!

The Kona N though slightly edges ahead in terms of looks and has a DCT, but is front wheel only and from what I hear the suspension is between just fine and too stiff.

Also Toyota is crazy big here so reliability and repair should be easy and cheap, the problem is that I don’t know if they’ll actually bring it here, then again they just started selling the Supra so miracles do happen!

Let’s see!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 15, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo you guys have you seen the new GR Corolla? It’s really impressive looking and looks like a nice affordable thing if you’re looking for Golf R level performance, it looks really cool too!

I read online that they’re making a DCT version of this, if true this car has shot up to the #1 spot for me in terms of the next car I want to buy alongside the Kona N

https://youtu.be/lgAhcyG936U

The biggest things killing the Golf R for me is the bland look and the god awful User Interface controls, this seems to fix both those issues and is AWD as well!

The Kona N though slightly edges ahead in terms of looks and has a DCT, but is front wheel only and from what I hear the suspension is between just fine and too stiff.

Also Toyota is crazy big here so reliability and repair should be easy and cheap, the problem is that I don’t know if they’ll actually bring it here, then again they just started selling the Supra so miracles do happen!

Let’s see!

people wanted this to be a crazy firebreathing WRC car shoved into a Corolla shell so badly, like the Yaris aimed to be, and all the reviews are saying that this car is less hard-edged and way safer-feeling than both the old Type R and STI (in fact, Toyota’s talking up how the Corolla’s size, drive layout, and relatively long wheelbase compared to p much any sports car make it much more stable and comfy for amateurs and commuters than the GR Yaris). Oh well. I think it’s great, I think it’s my perfect “adult” car, but lol good luck getting one, never mind one close to MSRP.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 15, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I wanted it to be raucous. I wanted a new Focus RS. But for that money, I’d rather just wait for a new Veloster N with heated seats.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I wanted it to be raucous. I wanted a new Focus RS. But for that money, I’d rather just wait for a new Veloster N with heated seats.

Isn’t hyundai ending the veloster line this year? I think the only options for you next year will be the Kona or Elantra N cars. Which both are around the same price as the GR Corolla.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Aww poo poo, you’re right. God dammit, I don’t wanna spend $40k on a hot hatch. Wtf world economy; why won’t you prioritize my interests?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Aww poo poo, you’re right. God dammit, I don’t wanna spend $40k on a hot hatch. Wtf world economy; why won’t you prioritize my interests?

A Kona N is for 35,000 and comes fully loaded with heated seats :eng101:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Where is here? Also I am sure if you want flappy paddles that will be something that will continue to be accommodated, the rare thing is them making it in stick and only stick like the GR yaris it’s based on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Where is here? Also I am sure if you want flappy paddles that will be something that will continue to be accommodated, the rare thing is them making it in stick and only stick like the GR yaris it’s based on.

GCC Arab gulf country, both Toyota and Hyundai are EXTREMELY well established here, VW has a decent foothold but their Golf R cars are more expensive here than they would be in other places, even the GTI is a bit more expensive than the Kona N is.

However, Japanese sports cars haven’t made a big splash so it’s only recently that Toyota started selling the Supra, Hyundai however almost immediately went all in on their N division brand and all of their local dealers have them, the markup is bad due to high sales taxes but still much cheaper than others of that type and within reach.

I definitely think that the GR brand will make it here if not at least the UAE where it should be easy enough to ship over.

So if I get one of those two brands I will have no problems with repairs and service.

However, the major concern I will have is how these cars will handle speed bumps and not perfect roads, the city roads here are generally good but there’s a lot of speed bumps in the side roads. I’ll test drive and see when the time comes.

I’m too much of a pussy to gear shift manual though, so a DCT is kind of a must for home.

Sadly the Honda Civic Type R is almost never sold here, despite regular Honda being pretty popular.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Al-Saqr posted:

The biggest things killing the Golf R for me is the bland look and the god awful User Interface controls

I've owned my Golf R for about a month now and the touch controls thing is so overblown. :rolleyes:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I am shocked the GR Yaris wasn’t sold in the Gulf? With how much hype was around it I would have expected it there. My understanding is the GR Corolla is for markets that did not get the GR Yaris due to mostly in the US the Yaris being too small.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I've owned my Golf R for about a month now and the touch controls thing is so overblown. :rolleyes:

Really? The reviews made it seem like a pretty big deal how unresponsive, overly complex UI and the fact that they don’t light up at night was very much highlighted, I can forgive stiff suspension however it’s very dangerous have my attention distracted here so I very much would prefer buttons so I can keep eyes on the road and not fiddle in the dark looking for the volume.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

GCC Arab gulf country, both Toyota and Hyundai are EXTREMELY well established here, VW has a decent foothold but their Golf R cars are more expensive here than they would be in other places, even the GTI is a bit more expensive than the Kona N is.

However, Japanese sports cars haven’t made a big splash so it’s only recently that Toyota started selling the Supra, Hyundai however almost immediately went all in on their N division brand and all of their local dealers have them, the markup is bad due to high sales taxes but still much cheaper than others of that type and within reach.

I definitely think that the GR brand will make it here if not at least the UAE where it should be easy enough to ship over.

So if I get one of those two brands I will have no problems with repairs and service.

However, the major concern I will have is how these cars will handle speed bumps and not perfect roads, the city roads here are generally good but there’s a lot of speed bumps in the side roads. I’ll test drive and see when the time comes.

I’m too much of a pussy to gear shift manual though, so a DCT is kind of a must for home.

Sadly the Honda Civic Type R is almost never sold here, despite regular Honda being pretty popular.

learn to drive stick you goon

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I am shocked the GR Yaris wasn’t sold in the Gulf? With how much hype was around it I would have expected it there. My understanding is the GR Corolla is for markets that did not get the GR Yaris due to mostly in the US the Yaris being too small.

The gulf has the same problem as the US it’s too car dependent countries where you drive long distances to get anywhere, so in general smaller niche cars don’t get sold as much, the regular Yaris is widely sold, in general the trend now is normal and compact SUVs, which the Chinese are loving CRAZY flooding the market here with.

What’s wierd is that FIAT 656 and 500’s or whatever they call it nowadays of all things are appearing in larger numbers, they used to be a very undesirable company with very poor service and expensive repairs, now I almost always spot one and I’ve even seen a couple of Abarths here and there, sadly from what I read online the suspension on those are the worst so I can’t justify to myself turning into a scrambled egg every day in the car.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

learn to drive stick you goon

Sadly I don’t think I’m physically capable of running the stick shifts in my head at the same time as driving and paying attention to what’s around me. I’m just not built for it sadly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you have a learning disability

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you have a learning disability

I get confused easily

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Sadly I don’t think I’m physically capable of running the stick shifts in my head at the same time as driving and paying attention to what’s around me. I’m just not built for it sadly.

considering their relative ubiquity around the world until not that long ago, as well as my personal experience learning to operate them as an adult and subsequently teaching multiple others to do so too, I’m gonna hard disagree unless you have a serious medical condition that truly precludes you from operating a clutch + stick.

Honestly if you have the means to purchase a new car it might be worth looking into a driving school course if you don’t have a family member or friend who can teach you in a weekend (literally a weekend, plus all the time afterward to practice on your own, assuming you own the car)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah if your situation is that bad in terms of confusion you probably shouldn't be driving at all

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

considering their relative ubiquity around the world until not that long ago, as well as my personal experience learning to operate them as an adult and subsequently teaching multiple others to do so too, I’m gonna hard disagree unless you have a serious medical condition that truly precludes you from operating a clutch + stick.

Honestly if you have the means to purchase a new car it might be worth looking into a driving school course if you don’t have a family member or friend who can teach you in a weekend (literally a weekend, plus all the time afterward to practice on your own, assuming you own the car)

Ok why not I’ll give it a try sometime soon when a new car is on the horizon

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Al-Saqr posted:

Really? The reviews made it seem like a pretty big deal how unresponsive, overly complex UI and the fact that they don’t light up at night was very much highlighted, I can forgive stiff suspension however it’s very dangerous have my attention distracted here so I very much would prefer buttons so I can keep eyes on the road and not fiddle in the dark looking for the volume.

It's fine. There's still volume controls on the steering wheel that are lit up, but even if you wanted to adjust the volume on the dash, there's two ridges denoting where the volume touch strip is. One mistake I've seen repeatedly in videos is that they're tapping the volume strip where they should be sliding their finger left and right.

I can see being irritated with it because the reviewers are only with a car for a couple of days but seriously there's so many UI shortcuts that it's really not a big deal. I have disabled the voice control because I don't want to talk to my car.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The GR Yaris never made it to the USA because they had already cancelled the Yaris here and they’d have to federalize an entirely new car. Considering that they really only wanted to make it to homologize for rally, it’s a frustrating but understandable position.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Al-Saqr posted:

My elderly grandmother drove an old stick shift Volkswagen her whole life until she died.

I think theres this weird tendency from people that haven't driven a stick that its some complicated confusing thing, instead of what it really is: something that very quickly becomes a task you don't put anymore conscious thought into than you do operating your turn signals or break and accelerator pedals. I took my niece out to teach her to drive a stick in an afternoon, and while she certainly wasn't a smooth pro after just a few hours, she was perfectly functional driving one after a tiny bit of practice in a day.

The only time i'd believe someone couldn't learn to operate one is if they had a significant disability. I mean, christ millions and millions of people regularly were fine driving Model T's, and have you seen how those things operated? Man!

EDIT: Well, all of which is to say theres no reason you should feel you need a stick shift, a modern DCT can be way better in every measurable metric anyways, I just think that should be the reason you want it and not a misplaced sense that a stick is "too hard" or anything.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

people wanted this to be a crazy firebreathing WRC car shoved into a Corolla shell so badly, like the Yaris aimed to be, and all the reviews are saying that this car is less hard-edged and way safer-feeling than both the old Type R and STI (in fact, Toyota’s talking up how the Corolla’s size, drive layout, and relatively long wheelbase compared to p much any sports car make it much more stable and comfy for amateurs and commuters than the GR Yaris). Oh well. I think it’s great, I think it’s my perfect “adult” car, but lol good luck getting one, never mind one close to MSRP.

Throttle House reviewed it and liked it better than the GR Yaris overall. People are going to go "aww but I wish we got <Car they'd never buy in 100 years>!" no matter what because some people just love the idea that there's some special forbidden fruit car overseas that we're just not allowed to get.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The GR Yaris never made it to the USA because they had already cancelled the Yaris here and they’d have to federalize an entirely new car. Considering that they really only wanted to make it to homologize for rally, it’s a frustrating but understandable position.

And because a total of 14 people in the US would buy a $40,000 hatchback (which is inherently a compromise car) that is a 2 door for no good reason. If you're going to downsize into a 2 door and give up all of the practicality of a hatchback, Toyota has 2 other cars designed for exactly that. You don't need to compromise converting your family hauler into a sports car and then make the family hauler also suck at that.