Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

World of Warcraft seemed cool until it became obvious they decided it was a forevergame which wouldn't leave any room for another RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Redezga posted:

World of Warcraft seemed cool until it became obvious they decided it was a forevergame which wouldn't leave any room for another RTS.

they gave you 3 starcraft 2's bro what more do you need

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Haha, I should have specified Warcraft RTS. I guess the only thing that stopped World of Starcraft from happening is that the fact its still apparently a popular game in the competitive RTS scene.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i know that brood war is still well loved, Tasteless and Artosis make like £4000 a month each on patreon doing english casts of pro brood war but yes World of Starcraft would be quite the thing and now im sad its not

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Everquest was absolutely dripping in intense vibes. Game was so scary.

Sneeeeaking through kithikor forest at night....

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i know that brood war is still well loved, Tasteless and Artosis make like £4000 a month each on patreon doing english casts of pro brood war but yes World of Starcraft would be quite the thing and now im sad its not

No but like, think about it. None of the things you imagine being cool would actually be cool. It would be a reskin of wow but with more gatcha stuff in it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

No but like, think about it. None of the things you imagine being cool would actually be cool. It would be a reskin of wow but with more gatcha stuff in it.

i'm still mad they cancelled Starcraft: Ghosts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

world of warcraft is the game that really destroyed OG Blizzard. All of the good development resources got shifted over to WOW because that's where all of the money was. From that point forward the rest of their catalog suffered from mediocre but well-polished releases that were propped up by an adoring fanbase still tripping on decades of nostalgia for the old classics.

You can pretty much draw a direct line between World of Warcraft and Diablo Immortal lol

Yeah, WoW just took over the entire company and everything in it like a cancer. Reminded of how people mocked the complaints about Diablo 3's aesthetic, but in retrospect the complainers were right- it wasn't Diablo anymore. Pretty much everything Blizzard's put out for years is basically WoW aesthetically, just with different settings and gameplay styles- and inevitably cannibalised because it's not WoW.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just go play The Old Republic or whatever, it's not the 00s anymore, we don't have to pretend being a MMO somehow massively improves a game

Reminds me how people go on about how a Pokemon MMO would be amazing and like, even back then by teh time they had online trading Pokemon already was a MMO in every way that counts.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me how people go on about how a Pokemon MMO would be amazing and like, even back then by teh time they had online trading Pokemon already was a MMO in every way that counts.

Some people just want to see other players running around who they can trade and battle with. Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum on the DS) almost had this, but it was restricted to the underground section for some reason.

It would be nice to just play through the game with another person, especially since you hardly ever get to do double battles outside of post-game challenge towers.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, WoW just took over the entire company and everything in it like a cancer. Reminded of how people mocked the complaints about Diablo 3's aesthetic, but in retrospect the complainers were right- it wasn't Diablo anymore. Pretty much everything Blizzard's put out for years is basically WoW aesthetically, just with different settings and gameplay styles- and inevitably cannibalised because it's not WoW.

All the current WoW character faces feel heavily influenced by overwatch which bleeds in from pixar. I personally think the simple and stylized designs that carried into early WoW from Warcraft III helped them a lot for broader development and take the MMO lead 20 years ago. classic was/is still and empty repetitive mess though

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Sneeeeaking through kithikor forest at night....

Seeing Gorenair in the Dreadlands when you've got SOW

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DrPossum posted:

All the current WoW character faces feel heavily influenced by overwatch which bleeds in from pixar. I personally think the simple and stylized designs that carried into early WoW from Warcraft III helped them a lot for broader development and take the MMO lead 20 years ago. classic was/is still and empty repetitive mess though

That's kinda been the trend in video game character design- probably influenced as much from TF2 as anything else. Big, obvious features, silhouettes, etc. The past 15 years or so feature a lot more refining of those principles, but those are still the principles.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
WoW is alright, its a nice nostalgia trip to go back to, especially with Classic

people who are going to badmouth it are always going to badmouth, I dunno, I think the idea of paying continually for a game is enough to put people off but i've never seen it as anywhere near as egregious as paying £80 a month to watch sky etc

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

WoW is alright, its a nice nostalgia trip to go back to, especially with Classic

people who are going to badmouth it are always going to badmouth, I dunno, I think the idea of paying continually for a game is enough to put people off but i've never seen it as anywhere near as egregious as paying £80 a month to watch sky etc

Honestly, compared to what games did later, monthly subscriptions seem positively quaint.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Starcraft 2 was a fantastic trilogy. Blizzard didn't just create WoW, they made the best single player RTS campaign of the past decade. Diablo 3 was also really good.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

So can someone explain to me whhat makes so many people want WoW Classic. Isn’t that content all still in the regular game? Is it something about not liking the latest balance patch so much you demand a server with it removed? I don’t get it why not just run the content again on current WoW?

Cataclysm changed the entire world as others said so the original campaign is gone. MMO aside people like to revisit older games from time to time and that simply became impossible with vanilla WoW.

A few things in particular that were very iconic were gone, like Barrens feeling like an actual huge rear end desert in an otherwise very small world. Most of the iconic forests got destroyed or shoved with a bunch of gigantic poo poo you can see over the map and kill any illusion of distance. Ashenvale and Darkshore going from two zones of somewhat immersive forest environment to "there's now a building-size elemental you can see from the other side of the map and he's not that far away because surprise all wow zones are small". Similarly Stranglethorn was split in two and there's a lovely vortex in it.

Most quests were replaced with just comic relief that didn't age well, in particular Westfall. The soundtrack also changed and I think classic wow had a much better, ominous bg track that didn't feel as generic, with some odd choices aside (I think Tanaris didn't work well).

I think Classic WoW had a few characteristics (very immersive, nice soundtrack, the overarching plot of Onyxia starting from level 1 with the Defias) that gave it a bit of zen-like flow to leveling even if leveling had moments that loving sucked (the absent-minded prospector comes to mind). My friend and I would sometimes level alts just for the nice feeling of feeling there in that part of the world and it was very soothing. After Cataclysm every zone is shoving you with events, huge chasms boiling with fire, zone-wide announcements and jokes and references that aged like poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
they should make an MMO where all you do is like, talk to other people , and find out about poo poo

it should only cost $10 though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Diablo 3 was ok...

On consoles where it had the roll added to the gameplay and played better. Still a completely mediocre game I forget instantly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Diablo 3 was ok...

On consoles where it had the roll added to the gameplay and played better. Still a completely mediocre game I forget instantly.

I would never play it without a controller.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

jokes posted:

I would never play it without a controller.

as someone who played it when it came out on PC, the only time I ever enjoyed it was coop on the switch with my girlfriend

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I took a week off work for Diablo 3 and played maybe 80 hours worth, it was fun

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Making a MMO is the death of every studio as you quickly go from needing game devs with a vision to people just competent enough to keep subscription fees coming in. WoW in particular had a lot of people that played it in college and then went to work for blizzard after graduation, creating a self sucking lollipop

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I took a week off work for Diablo 3 and played maybe 80 hours worth, it was fun

yeah, after the third or fourth day when you could actually connect to servers?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ashenvale was one of my favorite zones for atmosphere and aesthetics and I hate what Cata did to it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

RMT House was a dark din on Diablo 3 until they fixed it for consoles, even after they removed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hElo-fSj0
the best game that never was

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 15, 2022

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Elentor posted:

After Cataclysm every zone is shoving you with events, huge chasms boiling with fire, zone-wide announcements and jokes and references that aged like poo poo.

Yeah, I liked all the Cataclysm changes at first because, oooh new stuff, look what they did here and here, etc. But after the novelty wore off it's clear that most of the changes were not for the better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

they should make an MMO where all you do is like, talk to other people , and find out about poo poo

Wasn't that a big part of Secret World?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

That's runescape, the true best mmo

For real.

I’ve been playing a lot of Old School RuneScape and it’s legit good even today.

Runelite is 100% needed though imo.

RuneScape 3 is pretty good but it’s MTXd to hell and back which is pretty disappointing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

precision posted:

Second life and VRChat are both free. But in one case you need to spend tens to hundreds of dollars to customize your character and in the other you need to spend hundreds to thousands to get a good VR headset

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Club penguin tho

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Street Fighter 6 looks pretty good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I need Starcraft 1 with LAN and peer-to-peer networking, which is no longer available to legally purchase or download :colbert:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

pentyne posted:

Wasn't that a big part of Secret World?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Second life and VRChat are both free. But in one case you need to spend tens to hundreds of dollars to customize your character and in the other you need to spend hundreds to thousands to get a good VR headset

I think the joke is that precision is just talking about the SA forums :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

neato burrito posted:

Street Fighter 6 looks pretty good.
:hai:
thank you for keeping the thread on topic

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think I remember reading about them giving Chun-Li pants, and people getting mad about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Limited Run Games was okay when they started. They are utter garbage now. They are the funco pops of video games.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Don't modern Street Fighters have like 50 different costumes for each character now? There's probably a school girl outfit available for exactly the type of person who complains about Chun Li wearing pants.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Waltzing Along posted:

Limited Run Games was okay when they started. They are utter garbage now. They are the funco pops of video games.

What are they doing now that is so different to when they started?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I hope they put Chun Li in pants forever to SPITE THE DWEEBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

itry posted:

I think I remember reading about them giving Chun-Li pants, and people getting mad about it.

i misread this as "giving chun-li parents" and i was like yeah im mad too she's only a street fighter to avenge her dead father