Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Heather Papps posted:

that little zelda trailer really got me, i am such a loving sucker for zelda games i can't even get outside myself and asses anything about them really critically. hook line and sinker.

:haibrower:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
orbs, is splatoon 3 worth 60bux or should i wait?

never played a Splatoon but I've been going pretty hard in Division 2 lately and i wouldnt mind a shooter that's a little more lighthearted and stylish

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay so zelda thoughts:
clearly that image of the goddess with the seven magatama/tears or whatever they were is hinting at seven temples, right? we're getting temples back?

my brother mentioned you don't see any shrines or towers and that he didn't think fast travel would be a thing, and my response was all the fast travel points are gonna be floating above the main landmass, and you'll be leaping off em.

there's a bunch of text in the opening bit of the trailer that i thought was hylian but my brother informed me it is zonai, the barbarian set peoples language, which i guess is not fully translated at this point?

big ol nazca glow lines. one looks like the goddess and one kinda looks like the windfish?

also the bit with the rock link grabs and then zips up on is like stasis, but improved? same as the return of dungeons i hope for i really hope there are some actual tools/items this time. i want a hookshot so bad.

not a lot of footage or things to really discus but hot drat, when link landed on the glider birdmech thing i laughed, because i had read folk complaining about the lack of the master cycle, and just imagined the devs reading the same complains and giggling to themselves about what they had yet to reveal.

also also i really hope the glider needs to be fed apples or whatever, like the master cycle. that would be very funny to me.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps posted:

okay so zelda thoughts:
clearly that image of the goddess with the seven magatama/tears or whatever they were is hinting at seven temples, right? we're getting temples back?

my brother mentioned you don't see any shrines or towers and that he didn't think fast travel would be a thing, and my response was all the fast travel points are gonna be floating above the main landmass, and you'll be leaping off em.

there's a bunch of text in the opening bit of the trailer that i thought was hylian but my brother informed me it is zonai, the barbarian set peoples language, which i guess is not fully translated at this point?

big ol nazca glow lines. one looks like the goddess and one kinda looks like the windfish?

also the bit with the rock link grabs and then zips up on is like stasis, but improved? same as the return of dungeons i hope for i really hope there are some actual tools/items this time. i want a hookshot so bad.

not a lot of footage or things to really discus but hot drat, when link landed on the glider birdmech thing i laughed, because i had read folk complaining about the lack of the master cycle, and just imagined the devs reading the same complains and giggling to themselves about what they had yet to reveal.

also also i really hope the glider needs to be fed apples or whatever, like the master cycle. that would be very funny to me.

i would like to cosign all of this i'd be so loving stoked to get real proper temples instead of samey shrines and towers

also i think the improved stasis is like, time reversal or something. boulder roll downhill magic send it back

sb hermit

nothing I loved more in botw than when Zelda says that the blood moon has arrived and I just think "Correction. With my master sword and full set of ancient gear, I am the one who knocks! Guardian despair and suffering shall begin anew!"

Ostensibly, I just needed more ancient arrows to defeat Ganon but it's so satisfying to chase Guardians down and slay them.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
nintendo could seriously sell me a wet paper bag with a fart inside if it had LEGEND OF ZELDA written on it

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Prof. Crocodile

Dr. Honked posted:

nintendo could seriously sell me a wet paper bag with a fart inside if it had LEGEND OF ZELDA written on it

I believe Phillips cd-i attempted this very tactic a few decades ago.

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

kalel posted:

been on a pokemon crystal kick recently. I posted about this idea before but I really wish they would release a pokemon game with the art style and design of the Gen 2 or gen 3 games but with all the new Pokemon. Maybe there's a rom hack that accomplishes something like that but I wouldn't know where to look

The game you are looking for is "Pokemon ultra shiny gold sigma". It even includes mega evolutions and Alolan regional variants. A quick Google shows people mostly love it, so have at it my friend.

I've always been partial to crystal clear myself. It's both more and less difficult than a normal Pokemon game, allows you to start in any town, and everything (gyms, wild Pokemon) level up with the number of badges you gain all the way to the full 16. You can also start with objectively the best Pokemon, dunsparce.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sarah Cenia posted:

orbs, is splatoon 3 worth 60bux or should i wait?

never played a Splatoon but I've been going pretty hard in Division 2 lately and i wouldnt mind a shooter that's a little more lighthearted and stylish

I don't know how much 60 dollars is worth to you, but I'll tell you that the new Splatoon is the bees knees and exactly what you need to clear your head of roleplaying putting bullets on some dude's head.

It has a great campaign that will teach you everything you need and rather quick online matches so you'll never get bored when you move into the long lasting portion of the game.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Pony Jabroni

one time my friend and i sewed together our own skirts and conspiracy t shirts and went to an olive garden at 9:30 AM and ordered six liters of wine and free bread sticks and it was the best day ever
i recently fixed my 3ds so it works so ive gone back to my favorite game series of all time: yokai watch. i never did finish 3 before it died since ac:nh took over my life , so im finally playing through it. i really hate the new battle system but gosh, i love this series so much. also nice to play after the fact so i can just stockpile codes for items and coins.

i do wanna go back and make a new save file on yw2 as well because gosh, i love the story and the yokai in that one.

Scuba Trooper

hlep i cant stop playing the disney animal crossing on game pass

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Scuba Trooper posted:

hlep i cant stop playing the disney animal crossing on game pass

Which one's this? Haven't heard a thing about it.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Scuba Trooper

dreamlight valley, where i go gardening with WALL-E

scratches the life sim itch and theres lots of dolly dressup. free with game pass but early access with a founders pack everywhere else

The Maroon Hawk

zelda

Scuba Trooper

i need to beat breath of the wild still

instead of beating games i just get distracted by other games

Philippe

(she/her)

Scuba Trooper posted:

instead of beating games i just get distracted by other games

I feel very attacked about this

Bobby Deluxe

my other half has been trying to remember the word savescumming, but her brain has decided that word does not exist and has replaced it with 'saveslutting'

Lurker Ant
I decided to be a sucker and buy the steelbook version of Doom Eternal from limited run. I never got around to playing that game because I was so pissed at Bethesda for cancelling the retail version and making it eshop only, and normally I loathe LR on principle for being collector bait but in this one case I can put my feelings aside. Now I should probably go back and finish Doom 2016 :sweatdrop:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lurker Ant posted:

I decided to be a sucker and buy the steelbook version of Doom Eternal from limited run. I never got around to playing that game because I was so pissed at Bethesda for cancelling the retail version and making it eshop only, and normally I loathe LR on principle for being collector bait but in this one case I can put my feelings aside. Now I should probably go back and finish Doom 2016 :sweatdrop:

i was talking to my brother about this, a strong desire to replay the new doom and eternal, but landing on the idea that i just needed to listen to the soundtrack a few times

The Maroon Hawk

Heather Papps posted:

and my response was all the fast travel points are gonna be floating above the main landmass, and you'll be leaping off em.

I really hope this isn’t the case, this game appears to have already ripped off enough from Skyward Sword

Ohtori Akio
just as long as they don't rip off being really bad,

Mummy Napkin
thinking I might pick up the switch versions of the new dooms just to play with the gyro. anyone have any experience with playing them on the pro controller?

I’m all in an gyro after playing splatoon 2. still haven’t picked up 3 because I got so burnt out playing 150 hours of 2 earlier this year

Lurker Ant

Heather Papps posted:

i was talking to my brother about this, a strong desire to replay the new doom and eternal, but landing on the idea that i just needed to listen to the soundtrack a few times

The soundtrack for D2016 is pretty sweet, when doomguy cocked his shotgun after the intro and the remixed hangar theme kicked in I experienced nirvana

Heather Papps

hello friend

skyward sword, besides the cdi games, are the only zeldas i haven't beat. the art style where everything fades into impressionistic paintings was very cool but i could not get past the motion controls.

The Maroon Hawk

Ohtori Akio posted:

just as long as they don't rip off being really bad,

:catstare:

Ohtori Akio

I have not met a skyward sword fan before, what did you like about it? I liked the art style a lot and some dungeon ideas but it was mostly all misses for me

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lurker Ant posted:

The soundtrack for D2016 is pretty sweet, when doomguy cocked his shotgun after the intro and the remixed hangar theme kicked in I experienced nirvana

this is the only game within recent memory that made me shift around in my chair, emulating doomguy. every time i would leap up to gently caress up a hell knight i also leaned up.

i have not done this since the mario on the nes, and marked it in my mind as one of the highest honours a game could achieve, for me.

strange, after the last post i made, to consider - i fully hate motion controls but also like when a game immerses me enough to cause me to move irl. a weird paradox.

Ohtori Akio
motion controls will rule in the distant year where they are fully tactile

Heather Papps

hello friend

Ohtori Akio posted:

I have not met a skyward sword fan before, what did you like about it? I liked the art style a lot and some dungeon ideas but it was mostly all misses for me

i know you aren't asking me but the only real problem i had was the controls, but that is a pretty huge problem to have with a video game

Ohtori Akio

Heather Papps posted:

i know you aren't asking me but the only real problem i had was the controls, but that is a pretty huge problem to have with a video game

i dropped on wii too but i was able to get through it (team-playing with a live-in partner) on switch. highly recommend if you want to complete the collection and the controls were your only complaint

groose rules

Scuba Trooper

Heather Papps posted:

this is the only game within recent memory that made me shift around in my chair, emulating doomguy. every time i would leap up to gently caress up a hell knight i also leaned up.

i have not done this since the mario on the nes, and marked it in my mind as one of the highest honours a game could achieve, for me.

i remember playing arkham asylum for the first time, going through the first predator section, and im down to one guy. detective mode labels him "TERRIFIED" im hanging from a gargoyle, he's right under me, and he shouts out "what are you?!" and out of pure instinct i snarl irl "IM BATMAN" and i slam the y button as hard as i can

Farecoal

There he go
I would like for them to re-release Wind Waker HD for the Switch

Ohtori Akio

Farecoal posted:

Finger Prince

I've been really busy lately but finally have some time to play the cat game again.

Scuba Trooper

Farecoal posted:

Lurker Ant

Farecoal posted:

I surprised they haven't already, get WW and TP on Switch and you could have every console Zelda on one platform.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Scuba Trooper posted:

i remember playing arkham asylum for the first time, going through the first predator section, and im down to one guy. detective mode labels him "TERRIFIED" im hanging from a gargoyle, he's right under me, and he shouts out "what are you?!" and out of pure instinct i snarl irl "IM BATMAN" and i slam the y button as hard as i can

people make fun of "it really makes you FEEL like X" but honestly that is the purest thing a video game can do, fully trick you into being something else and living a different life

Lurker Ant

Heather Papps posted:

people make fun of "it really makes you FEEL like X" but honestly that is the purest thing a video game can do, fully trick you into being something else and living a different life

There used to be this big craze over immersion in the early 2010s but for some reason that always seemed to translate into mimicking the set dressing and tropes of movies rather than making more engrossing tactile gameplay. Lens flare and chromatic aberration aren’t immersive, they’re just visual gimmickry

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lurker Ant posted:

There used to be this big craze over immersion in the early 2010s but for some reason that always seemed to translate into mimicking the set dressing and tropes of movies rather than making more engrossing tactile gameplay. Lens flare and chromatic aberration aren’t immersive, they’re just visual gimmickry

oh yeah absolutely, however there is an authentic "i really lost myself in this" that is hard to describe without sounding cliche. did valheim make me "feel" like a viking? no it was fun. did doom make me feel like the doomslayer? yes, it was also fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurker Ant

Heather Papps posted:

oh yeah absolutely, however there is an authentic "i really lost myself in this" that is hard to describe without sounding cliche. did valheim make me "feel" like a viking? no it was fun. did doom make me feel like the doomslayer? yes, it was also fun.

Even something as abstract and cartoony as Super Mario Maker can be immersive, all it takes is having a tight, well-designed gameplay loop and an appealing visual style and/or characters. It’s all subjective though, a lot of people think Skyrim is absolutely captivating but I never really got into it. My most immersive experience ever was Forza Horizon 4, English countryside + cars = mmmmm yes