Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Do you think he watched wall e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Bummed about Godard because Weekend is a loving masterpiece.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

checkplease posted:

Do you think he watched wall e

He watched it, then died.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

December lineup

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1570444031326388234

Cooley High
The Velvet Underground
Michael Haneke: Trilogy (The 7th Continent, Benny's Video and 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance)
3 Films by Mai Zetterling (Loving Couples, Night Games and The Girls)

I'm getting the trilogy bundles. Haneke :woop:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
None of those Hanekes are among his best imo but still a fantastic set

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

7th Continent is probably my favorite Haneke because it's so stripped down and unpolished. Funny to think of 7th Continent and Benny's Video in Blu-Ray HD, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s definitely my favourite of the three. I watched it on Halloween 2009 and it was way appropriate

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy smokes they got The Keep next month!
https://twitter.com/thefilmstage/status/1573051215663214592

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

wild, prolly no physical release tho??

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wolfen whips rear end

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Wolfen whips rear end

Yeah - got kind of lost on its original run because American Werewolf in London and The Howling came out the same year.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 8, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Looks like we’re getting Brain Damage in this collection. That movie’s so fun and this will probably be the nicest it’s looked on streaming to my knowledge.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
heads up if you're a channel subscriber, criterion just sent out $10 codes

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So I just watched The Keep. I loved the experience, though of course it’s heartbreaking to see something so obviously truncated, but the edits along with the mood, amazing effects and music, create this dreamy illogical atmosphere that I appreciate in its own way. So that brings me to two questions:

Has anybody ever read the book this is based on? By F Paul Wilson? I’ve been getting into reading some great sci-fi/horror novels and I think getting the whole story would be really satisfying.

My other question is, as people discovering this again thanks to Criterion are wondering about a restored cut, what has been the biggest miracle Criterion has accomplished? Not so much with restorations, but specifically found films, restored extended cuts and the like. Would a theoretical restored directors cut of The Keep be their most ambitious release?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

what has been the biggest miracle Criterion has accomplished? Not so much with restorations, but specifically found films, restored extended cuts and the like. Would a theoretical restored directors cut of The Keep be their most ambitious release?

maybe apu trilogy or passion of joan of arc? the 205 min cut of andrei rublev? the extended cut of tree of life they comissioned might as well be a different film it's that much better as to be definitive imo, the theatrical cut feels truncated and half-finished by comparison. though criterion also managed to get all 3 cuts of the new world in their set which is pretty monumental even though none of them quite work

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So I just watched The Keep. I loved the experience, though of course it’s heartbreaking to see something so obviously truncated, but the edits along with the mood, amazing effects and music, create this dreamy illogical atmosphere that I appreciate in its own way. So that brings me to two questions:

Has anybody ever read the book this is based on? By F Paul Wilson? I’ve been getting into reading some great sci-fi/horror novels and I think getting the whole story would be really satisfying.

My other question is, as people discovering this again thanks to Criterion are wondering about a restored cut, what has been the biggest miracle Criterion has accomplished? Not so much with restorations, but specifically found films, restored extended cuts and the like. Would a theoretical restored directors cut of The Keep be their most ambitious release?

I actually read the book ages ago as a tween/teen around the time the movie came out - though I didn't see the movie until a few years later. I remember liking it and it certainly had a narrative arc that didn't completely survive the movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

maybe apu trilogy or passion of joan of arc? the 205 min cut of andrei rublev? the extended cut of tree of life they comissioned might as well be a different film it's that much better as to be definitive imo, the theatrical cut feels truncated and half-finished by comparison. though criterion also managed to get all 3 cuts of the new world in their set which is pretty monumental even though none of them quite work

:hmmyes:

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Their (now apparently out of print but available on the channel) release of Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin is pretty impressive. It includes two edits of the film that already existed, a new edit that was done to best try to match Welles' original intentions before he lost creative control of the editing, Welles' radio play version, and the novelization that was falsely credited to Welles.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
It was a mixed bag (the added footage sticks out like a sore thumb due to being too faded or too expensive to restore, and having audio dropouts at the end of scenes due to how 70mm mag tracks are physically aligned), but It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World getting over 30 minutes reinstated, some of it not seen since its original run, was mighty impressive. Some of it is audio only (but well handled), and about 5 minutes is still missing (Kino's "Complete Metropolis" also has a few minutes missing, BTW), but you still get the full idea of the original cut.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion was directly responsible for the original camera negative of Grand Illusion being rediscovered. They were intending to release the film as their inaugural DVD, but they weren't entirely happy with the transfer from a duplicate negative. They asked one archive to check some of their film elements since they might have had a fine-grain positive. Turns out they had the camera negative in mislabled cans. That's why the DVD was delayed so long that it had the second iteration of their logo, though, they kept spine #1.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
24 hour flash sale on Criterion.com starts tomorrow at noon

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

afaik the keep was never finished per se. mann's intended cut didn't have the visual effects finished before wally veevers died. i'm not sure that's so bad because even at 96 minutes the keep drags pretty badly in the middle, and you have to figure a lot of what got cut was the highlander love story plot. Plus the movie as is establishes that the "villain" is the embodiment of the victims of the holocaust and he never does anything but kill nazis before highlander turns on his flashlight so that's pretty funny.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Plus the movie as is establishes that the "villain" is the embodiment of the victims of the holocaust and he never does anything but kill nazis before highlander turns on his flashlight so that's pretty funny.

Yeah, that's what stuck out to me too. There's a basic good and evil duality going on in the film but it's atypical because the bad guy is the antagonist of the Nazis. And the good guy spends most of the time neutralized while brooding and making love.

The common cut is very obscurant.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Iirc from the novel, and maybe this is obvious in the film and I'm just being a pedant, is that the entity doesn't give a poo poo if the Nazis are good or evil, he's doing it to gain power (and because he likes killing I guess). Later it's useful to curry favor with the Jewish professor because he thinks the man can be a useful tool.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

24 hour flash sale on Criterion.com starts tomorrow at noon

Had $40 in codes saved up, got Bondarchuk's War & Peace Blu-ray for ~$11 Canadian. :dance:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When the gently caress is Criterion going to put Kind Hearts and Coronets on bluray?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

When the gently caress is Criterion going to put Kind Hearts and Coronets on bluray?

It's been out from Kino Lorber for a few years. They made a deal with StudioCanal for around 120 titles, which included a good chunk of the long-OOP Criterions...

Kind Hearts and Coronets - Older HD master, not 4K restoration as released in UK
Alphaville - 4K restoration
Billy Liar
Bob le flambeur - 4K restoration
Port of Shadows - 4K restoraion
Quai des Orfevres - 4K restoration
Touchez pas au grisbi
Last Year at Marienbad - 4K restoration
The Milky Way
Le doulos - 4K restoration
Leon Morin, Priest - 4K restoration, longer cut than Criterion Blu/DVD

Cohen issued The Two of Us and is available via Kino Lorber, their distributor.

Lionsgate released less than a dozen titles and allegedly still have the rights to these:

The Third Man - Same transfer as Criterion, 4K restoration only released in UK so far.
Ran - Awful Blu-ray, but recent Best Buy exclusive UHD uses new restoration. No extras, though.
The Man Who Fell to Earth - 4K restoration, but seems to only have the Anchor Bay DVD extras.
Grand Illusion - 4K restoration
Contempt - Same HD master used for old Criterion DVD, awful quality.

(Note: Lionsgate seems to be a new regular licensor as they licensed Amores perros, Uncut Gems, and Eve's Bayou recently)

Criterion has upgraded these:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie/The Phantom of Liberty/That Obscure Object of Desire - 3-film Bunuel Blu-ray set released last year, UK getting UHD of Discreet Charm next month.
Le cercle rouge - UHD upgrade using newer restoration
Army of Shadows - Nearly identical to original Blu-ray
Pierrot le fou - Nearly identical to original Blu-ray, but had replacement disc issued due to color timing mistake on one scene.
Variety Lights/The White Sheik/Nights of Cabiria - Exclusive to Essential Fellini Blu-ray set.
The Tales of Hoffmann - Newer 4K restoration used
Lola (Fassbender) - 4K restoration, part of BRD Trilogy Blu-ray set

It's suggested Criterion regained the rights to these and will issue them eventually:

Peeping Tom
Blood of a Poet/Testament of Orpheus
Le trou
Diary of a Chambermaid (Bunuel)
Coup de torchon
Forbidden Games
The Fallen Idol
The Small Back Room
A Woman is a Woman
Mafioso

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wizchine posted:

Iirc from the novel, and maybe this is obvious in the film and I'm just being a pedant, is that the entity doesn't give a poo poo if the Nazis are good or evil, he's doing it to gain power (and because he likes killing I guess). Later it's useful to curry favor with the Jewish professor because he thinks the man can be a useful tool.

My understanding from a friend who read the book is this is explicit there but it’s not even implied in the film. The highlander exposits that gargamel/lemagrag is evil, that’s it. Nothing in the movie indicates he’s anything really but a monstrous protector of Romanians in some vague way. It’s weird as heck!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jan announcements:

Baron Munchausen (4K)
Imitation of Life (1934, not the Sirk)
Lars von Trier’s Europe Trilogy
This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection
Bergman Island

Pretty awkward timing on the Munchausen release given it’s not been that long since Sarah Polley came out with her stories about the awful set.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
They should do Sarah Polley a favor and release 90s hit film Go

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Go is awesome

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Ran - Awful Blu-ray, but recent Best Buy exclusive UHD uses new restoration. No extras, though.
Still bums me out so much that this was either super limited or I just completely missed the boat on it.

Excited about the Velvet Underground doc getting added, that was the only reason I got Apple TV and then forgot to cancel it for several months

Cold Milk Bottle fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 19, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

Still bums me out so much that this was either super limited or I just completely missed the boat on it.

Excited about the Velvet Underground doc getting added, that was the only reason I got Apple TV and then forgot to cancel it for several months

You can still buy the StudioCanal 4k UHD from Diabolik. They have two copies left right now.

It's the copy I have and it is awesome.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Region B -_-

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/tallboythinlegs/status/1583128436612427776?s=46&t=jO1SffERYZvn3AdQDFa7YQ

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

https://www.criterion.com/shop/collection/398

Tag yourself, I'm Pre-Code

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Finally, a way to tell the world that I'm Foreign.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd probably get these ones:

ƎႧЯAӘ-TИAVA
NOIR
PRE-CODE

Although $35 'tis a shame.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1583175421083852800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU