Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The 45-minute 98-kickouts overindulgence of that NXT era at least had a (meh) conclusion; I’d say strapping the rocket to Kross was the bigger sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah hi, this is a two-part question:

1. Who else watched this movie back in the day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuVDFt5grY

2. Is there a Blu-Ray?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone try to explain just what the gently caress was going on with the Mabel push.

Vince loves "David vs Goliath" stories; except in his view, David has to be a Goliath, so Goliath has to be even bigger.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Yeah hi, this is a two-part question:

1. Who else watched this movie back in the day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuVDFt5grY

2. Is there a Blu-Ray?

I loving sought this movie out so hard specifically because it had Hayabusa in it. It’s such a lovely movie and I hope vinegar syndrome can give it a 4k release some day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

8) Bully Ray: G1 Supercard.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about this one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Davros1 posted:

Vince loves "David vs Goliath" stories; except in his view, David has to be a Goliath, so Goliath has to be even bigger.

But why Mabel? Why then? Why sacrifice Taker and HBK?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing more about this one.

He booked Enzo and Big Cass to show up after the IWGP/ROH tag title match without letting NJPW know about it and it completely killed the crowd for the ZSJ/Tanahashi match that followed and pissed off Tama Tonga to the extent he was threatening to throw his newly won ROH title in the trash.

It made relations between NJPW and ROH tense for a while.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was there for the long Nigel McGuinness ROH title run and I guess I'm in the minority because I loved that run. Nigel was loving awesome
I remember both enjoying Nigel's run and also drifting away from ROH towards the tail end of it, so looking up the details:

Nigel McGuinness was ROH champion from June 2007 to March 2009, 545 days.

That's a long time, longer than anyone besides The Big Dog has held a WWE belt since the 1980s. But ROH also didn't get TV until the very end of Nigel's run, and prior to that was most a live show/DVD market doing ~40ish shows a year, so longer reigns made sense; Samoa Joe held the belt for 645 days, Danielson for 462, even Morishima's run was 200+ days.

Gabe Sapolsky got fired in October 2008, just over a year after Nigel won the belt. This also means that the last 165 days of Nigel's run was out of Gabe's control.

Honestly looking back at the cards from that era, I would agree Gabe kind of jumped the shark but I remember being much sicker of long convoluted STABLE WARS between unforgettable crews like The No Remorse Corps, The Resiliance, Vulture Squad, The Hangm3n 3, etc.

There were a bunch of good-to-great workers in the stables, but in terms of storylines it was basically if there was a constant struggle for dominance and loyalty between Babyface Blackpool Combat Club, Heel Blackpool Combat Club, Tweener Blackpool Combat Club, Mildly Flippier Blackpool Combat Club, which when I type that out doesn't sound that bad, except instead of Moxley or Regal or Danielson getting promo time it was Roderick Strong and Davey Richards and BJ Whitmer.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 15, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gabe's dumbest decision was looking at Jigsaw and deciding "this is a face that shouldn't be under a mask".

The idea of the faction warfare made a bit of sense on paper considering how the Dragongate stuff had gone over, but the difference between what DG had & ROH did was that almost everyone was in a faction in DG, where as ROH half-assed and just had 1 guy from Generation Next & then some new or mid card guys. Jack Evans, Ruckus & Jigsaw. Aries, Matt Cross & Erick Stevens. Strong, Rocky Romero & Davey Richards. And then Hangmen Three of Adam Pearce, Brent Albright & BJ Whitmer.

Not exactly top guys in 2007 ROH, with all due respect.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 15, 2022

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But why Mabel? Why then? Why sacrifice Taker and HBK?

To try something new? Losing didn't hurt HBK or the Undertaker and winning wouldn't have helped them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alternately: Shawn getting in Vince's ear, sabotaging Bret's title reign by saddling him with a nigh-useless lump at the second biggest show of the year.

Also: Daniel Bryan joining the Wyatt family. A 7 month title chase featuring the hottest face WWE had since Rock/Austin (Cena never felt 'hot' in the same sense. WWE sold him, and the silent majority bought him) and it looked to end by having the plucky babyface sulk off into a cult while a guy who was set to have a main role in an unproven IP that wouldn't be out for another 6 months got the main event. It was about then I realized that the whole chase wasn't to put Bryan over, it was to put The Authority over.

Overturning that and giving people the main event they wanted marked the last time Vince wasn't insane.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The only part that annoying me is when WWE pretends that turning Bryan babyface all along was their plan to get him over. It wasn't, it was an attempt to cool him off out of spite and it didnt work

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also maybe the last time Trips wrestling was actually a good idea. (Was the title run where he had the banger with Mox after that, I forget?)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gaz-L posted:

It's also maybe the last time Trips wrestling was actually a good idea. (Was the title run where he had the banger with Mox after that, I forget?)

After, Wrestlemania 30 was in 2014 and his title run was in 2016.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tato posted:

That booking was a picture perfect example of why a "hiatus" is a terrible thing for a regular promotion, even if it makes some sort of storyline sense. Reminds me of when Bischoff was trying to buy WCW and wanted to take weeks off to build to a return, to which Time Warner said absolutely not as that time had ad spots that needed running and WCW already owed make good money. Also, it basically encourages your fans to go find something else to occupy their time.

While Ashes was a disaster, looking back at it fascinates me. Part of it is because Quack still gave his wrestlers something to do with the "Wrestling Is" promotions he created, but they didn't have the Chikara name and they mostly weren't tied into the storyline. You ended up with a year of Chikara story with no wrestling to go with it juxtaposed with a bunch of wrestling shows with no story that nobody cared about and nobody went to see. It was only when the Flood stable started destroying these promotions one by one that they got interesting, but there would be like ten people in the audience, so the footage of these angles were practically unusable.

Another good "jump the shark" booking thing is Chris DeJoseph (or whoever was booking Lucha Underground) doing the Cueto Cup. On paper, a gigantic singles tournament wasn't a bad idea. Lucha Underground was usually good with conclusive endings and giving us real winners. Then they did this tournament that was filled with interference, DQs and other bullshit because they wanted to use it as a vehicle to set up matches for Ultima Lucha. The third season was already hurting from the mid-season hiatus (not their fault), but the tournament really hurt the show.

Not to mention Ultima Lucha 3 ended in a weird way. They wanted to make it the coronation of Penta, but also the unfair farewell to Prince Puma. Penta's title win was supposed to be this big, cathartic moment, but they used it as a heel tactic to poo poo on Puma and cheat him out of the title.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He booked Enzo and Big Cass to show up after the IWGP/ROH tag title match without letting NJPW know about it and it completely killed the crowd for the ZSJ/Tanahashi match that followed and pissed off Tama Tonga to the extent he was threatening to throw his newly won ROH title in the trash.

It made relations between NJPW and ROH tense for a while.

Throwing the title across the room at the presser was lol though

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

D.N. Nation posted:

The 45-minute 98-kickouts overindulgence of that NXT era at least had a (meh) conclusion; I’d say strapping the rocket to Kross was the bigger sin

Kross *and* Raquel. Those two getting the top two titles in their divisions and holding on to them for so long was dire as gently caress.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Throwing the title across the room at the presser was lol though

It sure as hell was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRuVH8Ygh4&t=47s

Both him and Tanga were clearly pissed as hell at the crap Bully Ray pulled.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
this was when Tama proved he was the realest, an all-time moment right there

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm watching through 1999 Nitros and had never heard of Van Hammer but he's out quite a bit where I'm watching and this dude sucks out loud. I don't think I've ever been less entertained by a wrestler. I don't know if I have a question. Who is this man and why was he employed?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm watching through 1999 Nitros and had never heard of Van Hammer but he's out quite a bit where I'm watching and this dude sucks out loud. I don't think I've ever been less entertained by a wrestler. I don't know if I have a question. Who is this man and why was he employed?

I do not know why but he was around WCW from about '91. Who can forget Rick Rude & Steve Austin vs Big Josh & Van Hammer Battlebowl match? One of the least entertaining Austin WCW matches.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Gavok posted:

Yesterday, WhatCulture Wrestling put up a pretty fun list video called 10 Precise Moments Wrestling Bookers Lost Their Minds. Basically a list of jump the shark moments for various bookers. For those who don't want to sit through the 12 minutes, here's the list:

9) Delirious: The endless Supercard of Honor XII.

What's the story on this? I just pulled it up on WP and it didn't look crazy long. I mean it definitely wasn't as long as an AEW PPV. 2 hrs 50 minutes of match time not counting the pre-show. Although having Dalton Castle and Scrull main event over Cody and Kenny is a choice.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Big guy with a million dollar look and about 10c worth of wrestling skill (think "Lex Luger at home") that was around for years in the WCW undercard, generally yoyo-ing up and down the midcard level for his entire run. You're correct in your assessment of him as being a bit poo poo, and re: your second question - when in doubt, the answer is usually something like "because WCW lol."

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

What's the story on this? I just pulled it up on WP and it didn't look crazy long. I mean it definitely wasn't as long as an AEW PPV. 2 hrs 50 minutes of match time not counting the pre-show. Although having Dalton Castle and Scrull main event over Cody and Kenny is a choice.

Two 30 minute matches to finish a 5 hour show is very rarely a good idea, crowd were exhausted before the main event even started. Plus as you say The Elite were the draws

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

SG Bamboo posted:

Two 30 minute matches to finish a 5 hour show is very rarely a good idea, crowd were exhausted before the main event even started. Plus as you say The Elite were the draws

Makes sense- I just pulled up DoN 2022 to compare the match times, because I was there, and I was shocked to see that none of them broke 30 minutes. They were universally a lot shorter than I remember them being. And that show of course was a marathon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

edogawa rando posted:

Big guy with a million dollar look and about 10c worth of wrestling skill (think "Lex Luger at home") that was around for years in the WCW undercard, generally yoyo-ing up and down the midcard level for his entire run. You're correct in your assessment of him as being a bit poo poo, and re: your second question - when in doubt, the answer is usually something like "because WCW lol."

1999 is when the panic booking starts in earnest so it makes sense that they start doing weird experiments with the midcarders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

I remember that also not unlike Lex he thought he was God's gift to the sport but unlike Lex he never got better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lex rules but he also never did anything this cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjicPV6pxaI

Van Hammer is probably the worst wrestler to get such a long look from a promotion. Yeah he was gone form WCW for a few years in the mid 90s but he was there for a really long time. Some giants were worse in the ring but they were at least better at being big.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god bless Van Hammer, the hair metal guy debuted at the last possible second for hair metal's relevancy

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The only thing of any significance that I remember about him is that he was supposed to be called "Private Stash" in the Misfits in Action, but got buttmad because that would have made him the lowest ranked guy in the stable so they had to rename him "Major Stash," which doesn't even make sense.

I vaguely remember MIA from the few times I happened to randomly come across Nitro, but I honestly don't remember him in that group at all.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 18, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

The only thing of any significance that I remember about him is that he was supposed to be called "Private Stash" in the Misfits in Action, but got buttmad because that would have made him the lowest ranked guy in the stable so they had to rename him "Major Stash," which doesn't even make sense.

If I were a big "weedhead" I would rather have a major stash, that sounds like a lot of weed.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Maxwell Lord posted:

1999 is when the panic booking starts in earnest so it makes sense that they start doing weird experiments with the midcarders.

Wasn’t Van Hammer supposed to be Private Stash in the Misfits in Action stable but threw a hissyfit about it and got changed to maybe Major Stash??

You had Lash Leroux as Corporal Cajun, Chavo Guerrero as Lt. Loco, Hugh Morris as Gen. Hugh G Rection, and then Major Gunns as the valet IIRC.

Edit: But then MIA ended up with two Majors and it ruined the “joke”

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if it werent for van hammer we'd never have the briscoes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Davros1 posted:

The important thing to remember about Vince is that in David And Goliath stories he sees himself as David.

Which, considering the behaviour of David towards Bathsheba, makes perfect sense. Vince would absolutely lust after a woman under his power, coerce her into a relationship, try to arrange things so he could watch her and her husband gently caress, then punish her husband for not going along with it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JOHN CENA posted:

if it werent for van hammer we'd never have the briscoes

Oh?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lamuella posted:

The important thing to remember about Vince is that in David And Goliath stories he sees himself as David.

Which, considering the behaviour of David towards Bathsheba, makes perfect sense. Vince would absolutely lust after a woman under his power, coerce her into a relationship, try to arrange things so he could watch her and her husband gently caress, then punish her husband for not going along with it.

The important thing to remember about Vince is that in David And Goliath stories he thinks that Goliath should win because he's bigger and meaner, and people should want to root for Goliath because being mean and punching down on the weak is laudable.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Breetai posted:

The important thing to remember about Vince is that in David And Goliath stories he thinks that Goliath should win because he's bigger and meaner, and people should want to root for Goliath because being mean and punching down on the weak is laudable.

I forget who said it but one of the important things to remember about Vince is his favorite joke is pushing an unsuspecting person into a pool with all their clothes on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Story of Van Hammer, in Observer Quotes:
May 27, 1991: Scotty beat Fabian when a guy named Van Hammer, a 6-6 newcomer who looks almost exactly like Sid Vicious with Lex Luger's body, showed up and tripped Fabian. If someone really looks like Sid Vicious with Lex Luger's body and is 6-6, although they'd need is the Ultimate Warrior's stamina and El Gigante's ring knowledge to be a force in this business.

August 21, 1991: Having already signed [Van Hammer] to a guaranteed $75,000 per year contract when he's only had two or three pro matches so far shows just how much certain people have learned from prior mistakes about taking guys who have never wrestled and pushing them just because they look great standing there.[/quote]

September 16, 1991, Van Hammer's debut at Clash of the Champions 16: Van Hammer pinned Terrence Taylor in 1:07 with a knee off the top rope that missed by a foot. If I ever had to give a speech about things that are wrong with professional wrestling and had to limit it to 67 seconds, I'd just show a videotape of this match. It exemplified most of the problems in wrestling perfectly. Poor Terry Taylor. -**

Starrcade '91 Review, January 6, 1992:Rick Rude & Steve Austin beat Van Hammer & Big Josh in 12:55 when Rude pinned Hammer with the Rude Awakening. That finish certainly tells you that the megapush for Hammer is over. There was no heat at all when Hammer was in. That's surprising considering Hammer's alleged charisma (I use the word alleged because I wouldn't want to be sued for libel).

January 20, 1992: Van Hammer will be sent back to school, so to speak, after the Clash and brought back when he learns to wrestle. You fill in the punch line.

March 30, 1992: Mr. Hughes and Van Hammer are out of action because they've "volunteered" for drug rehabilitation although it is hopeful they'll be back in time for the PPV show.

April 20, 1992 Beach Blast preview: Van Hammer vs. Greg Valentine to determine the real Hammer in WCW (this was changed to Greg Valentine vs. Marcus Bagwell, Van Hammer did not appear though he was back on house shows before Beach Blast)

July 13, 1992: Van Hammer hasn't been around but we've heard conflicting reports on whether he'll be given another chance or he's simply gone.

October 19, 1992: Vinnie Vegas is getting a new lease as he and Diamond Dallas Page are going to work a "B" team program in November with Van Hammer & Marcus Bagwell.

December 14, 1992: Van Hammer continued his new push winning the arm wrestling tournament beating Big Van Vader in the semis and Ron Simmons in the finals.

January 20, 1993: Vinnie Vegas beat Tony Atlas in an arm-wrestling match with both going left-handed. Boy was this strange and what exactly was its purpose? To begin a Hammer vs. Vegas feud? Vegas subbed for Van Hammer who was out with a hernia.

January 25, 1993: I believe the report that Van Hammer had a hernia was incorrect, although he did have surgery last week and it out of action.

February 15, 1993: When Vinnie Vegas came out for his match, Van Hammer (still injured) got on the house mic to challenge him to the left-handed arm-wrestling match and Hammer was booed out of the building so vociferously (and by a crowd that was mainly kids) that he quit his interview in mid-sentence and went back to the dressing room.

May 24, 1993: Should be noted that the Maxx Payne vs. Van Hammer match was pulled from the show and instead Payne will do a guitar solo.

January 16, 1995: Van Hammer (real name Mark Hildreth, 35) was arrested on two counts of possession of illegally prescribed drugs. Hammer turned himself in a few weeks ago while also arrested was Lawrenceville, GA physician Brian Dillingham who wrote the prescriptions. No details on what drugs were involved, however the humorous part of the story was when WCW was contacted in the newspaper story, a spokesman claimed Hammer hadn't worked for the company in two years. There was a guy who looked just like him who had the same name and unfortunately wrestled just like him on television just a few weeks ago, just before he had turned himself in.

February 6, 1995: After WCW officials claimed Van Hammer hadn't worked for the company in two years because of his drug bust, who was on WCW Pro in the morning on 1/21?

May 29, 1995: Van Hammer (Mark Hildreth) made the news again this past week. The Atlanta area police raided some sex shops in Buckhead including one owned by Hammer's family. Hammer, who was constantly called a WCW wrestler, was on WGST radio ridiculing police for busting sex shops when they should be chasing real criminals.

November 6, 1995: A Lilburn, GA physician was indicted on 83 counts of prescription drug violations, among those he's alleged to have supplied was former WCW wrestler Mark Ty Hilderth (Van Hammer) on 59 occasions between 10/22/93 and 8/25/94.

December 23, 1996: Lots of news stemming from a Christmas party held at Diamond Dallas Page's house [...] In something that wasn't an angle, apparently former wrestler Mark Ty Hildreth (Heavy Metal Van Hammer) was there and began running down WCW for using little Mexican wrestlers. Given Hammer's ability as compared with the guys he was running down, he came off to most everyone like a fool. Anyway, supposedly his spouting off went from Mexicans to British wrestlers, most notably David Taylor and Steve Regal. The end result was that since Regal was there, a confrontation ensued and Regal, who used to fight people in carnivals since he was a teenager, is the wrong person to rile up. Anyway, two head-butts later, Hildreth was KO'd and on the floor. Apparently Bischoff, who was there, was saying that Hildreth had very little chance of every getting back into WCW in the first place, but now he has no chance.

November 1997: Van Hammer is rehired by WCW and put into Raven's Flock.

Not to say that Van Hammer didn't get way more chances than he deserved, but he was really only around from September 1991 to July 1993, then again from November 1997 to 2000.

As for why he got that second run, from a couple of Raven shoot interviews:
"He picked a lot of the members personally although he got stuck with a few of them, such as Van Hammer, because guys like DDP insisted he take them."
"On the few nights when WCW shows were held in dry towns, the entire Flock would be pissed off and have Hammer on the phone to his drug dealer trying to hook them up."
"[Raven talks about] the time Konnan had his bicep torn in a match against Van Hammer. When they got to the back after the injury, Konnan was upset and knew he would be off TV for a long time. He wanted to be left alone, but Van Hammer insisted on coming over and praying with him. The problem was, all the prayers were just putting Van Hammer over. Raven recalls him saying “Listen Lord, Konnan doesn’t have the strength, so take it from me.”"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Unsure which is funnier between Regal knocking him out or him putting himself over in prayers to god.

OK, I am, it's clearly the latter, but both are terrific.