Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mukaikubo posted:

"2023", eh? Hah. Alright then.

Any FPSs out there that scratch the same kind of FPS-MOBA'y itch that I didn't know I had before OW came out in 2016? Everything I've seen of OW2's gameplay does not enthuse me at all, I'm not really interested in low-time-to-kill hard focus on the FPS half of Overwatch. I really liked the slower, more tactical and ability-focused fights that existed Back In My Day :corsair: Nothing I've seen is in that lane.

MPvE wise? Back 4 Blood kept stepping on rakes, Borderlands 3's base campaign was a huge mess, Beyond Light showed that loving up Destiny 2 was indeed a team effort and not solely because of Activision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hero monetization aside, how was the beta mechanically? The big issues I recall from the end of OW1 was balancing the TTK on tanks (making a tank vulnerable while being healed leads to them being deleted when not being healed?) And too many barriers? Do I have that right? How is that now?

It's 5 heroes per side? I main healer, will my Brigitte be the only healer on the team and will I be despised for it?

Matches feel more arcade-y/deathmatch-y imo. Brigitte seems like a good pick still.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

will random heroes mode still exist?

will it pull from the list of all heroes or just the ones you've unlocked?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's 5 heroes per side? I main healer, will my Brigitte be the only healer on the team and will I be despised for it?

Being a support is like being punched in the dick over and over by DPS since the game is now centered on their enjoyment, but Brig is a solid choice because you have to look out for yourself so at least you have some sustain.

Also brig doesn't have a stun any more.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 15, 2022

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Father Wendigo posted:

MPvE wise? Back 4 Blood kept stepping on rakes, Borderlands 3's base campaign was a huge mess, Beyond Light showed that loving up Destiny 2 was indeed a team effort and not solely because of Activision.

To add to this, every update for B4B feels like it takes the game 1-2 steps further, but every other step is on a rake. It’s a solid game, but it asks a lot of its players in terms of patience and price. On the flip side, the game has been on sale every few months since like 2 months after its release, and it’s on Game Pass.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Trabisnikof posted:

will random heroes mode still exist?

will it pull from the list of all heroes or just the ones you've unlocked?

Jay3 had some promo pdf for OW2 and official answer to that is that all characters are useable on practice range, custom games, No Limits, Mystery heroes, Mystery Deathmatch and select other game modes, as well as some special event game modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acHe0kRqzKY&t=1092s

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Being a support is like being punched in the dick over and over by DPS since the game is now cantered on their enjoyment, but Brig is a solid choice because you have to look out for yourself so at least you have some sustain.

Also brig doesn't have a stun any more.

The betas had a lot of dive, since two healers in the back can keep three other characters alive for a really long time. Moira and Brig were really strong since the best way to end a team fight was to murder the supports ASAP

Also I know this gets lost in all the other changes, but putting bastion’s turret mode on a cooldown was an amazing quality of life change for those of us in the lower ranks. So nice not having to deal with a camping bunker on the high ground as my whole team trickles in to our deaths

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

So long as you login during Season 1, you should get the free stuff from the founder's pack.

so what the hell is this $40 offer when I load the game? Is that for the next few battle passes?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

so what the hell is this $40 offer when I load the game? Is that for the next few battle passes?

quote:

Upon launch in October, you will receive the following Overwatch® 2 in-game content: Season 1 Premium Battle Pass, two (2) Legendary Space Raider Hero Skins, 2000 Overwatch® 2 Virtual Currency (Season 1 – 3 Premium Battle Passes will be available for 1000 Virtual Currency each)

So a steampunk/sci fi pirate skin for Soldier and Cass, $20 of premium currency, the $10 battlepass, and the existing Overwatch 1 digital deluxe edition.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yes but you also get access to the exciting Beta test of Overwatch 2 oops!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cowslips Warren posted:

1st battle pass (worth 10 real money), 2000 BlizzBucks (worth 20 real money) and 2 exclusive skins.
Technically there's Overwatch 1 collectors edition there too with 10 OW1 skins that came with it.
Not that good deal, unless you really want those skins.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Edit:

quote:

(Season 1 – 3 Premium Battle Passes will be available for 1000 Virtual Currency each)

That's oddly specific. Price hike immediately built in?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 15, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

1st battle pass (worth 10 real money), 2000 BlizzBucks (worth 20 real money) and 2 exclusive skins.
Technically there's Overwatch 1 collectors edition there too with 10 OW1 skins that came with it.
Not that good deal, unless you really want those skins.

It also gave early/guaranteed access to the previous beta. That value counts!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Edit:

That's oddly specific.

It's obviously worded specific in the event they want to increase the price of the BP after season 3.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Standard arse covering in case some weird poo poo happens and they decide they don't wanna do the fake currency thing in the future or whatever I would presume. Or yeah if they want to increase prices.

Curious if you're going to be able to buy the old stuff with the grindable currency. Like I have a lot of Overwatch bucks, that I should probably spend on stuff but I don't have enough to get everything I want, would be good to be able to get some of the halloween stuff in the future.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Kiriko is an immediate unlock for current OW players who claim the free founders pack at least...or am I reading that wrong?

Where do I claim this founders pack?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Where do I claim this founders pack?

it's something that'll be available when OW2 launches, I believe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's something that'll be available when OW2 launches, I believe

Thanks I wasn’t sure if it was something I’d have to log in now for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I wasn’t sure if it was something I’d have to log in now for.

Nah, you "claimed" it if you owned the game before June 2022 and log in any time before the Season 1 battle pass for OW2 ends.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/beepiiii/status/1570422085750505475?t=COJSL9k7ihQbMkmu0xnkAA&s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

adhuin posted:

Jay3 had some promo pdf for OW2 and official answer to that is that all characters are useable on practice range, custom games, No Limits, Mystery heroes, Mystery Deathmatch and select other game modes, as well as some special event game modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acHe0kRqzKY&t=1092s

cool, mystery heroes is the only mode i care about so that was make or break for me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

MH is going to be loving insane with how the tanks are statted

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok it’s pretty cool that the skins are customizable

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MarcusSA posted:

Ok it’s pretty cool that the skins are customizable

I wish it wasn't just the mythic ones. I'd like to make every single skin I own have a pink color scheme

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

MH is going to be loving insane with how the tanks are statted

Don't forget there's no more "Protect the Bastion" meta to tankbust, too. It's going to be wild.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
this is kinda interesting

https://twitter.com/Avast_o/status/1570405042397614081

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Let's make all champs the same so that there's no reason to pick any specific one outside of who's numbers are the best this patch. Brilliant design blizzard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Let's make all champs the same so that there's no reason to pick any specific one outside of who's numbers are the best this patch. Brilliant design blizzard.

that's how it always has been though

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, but now they are doing it deliberately.

Someone needs to make an fps dota to overwatches league.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I mean not having specific heroes be hard counters, or hard counters in general is a good thing

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

maybe I am just mixing up fan desires with dev comments (also stopped playing before sigma even came out), but I feel like OW1 was perpetually moving away from hard counters and yet nothing really changed in that respect? it's hard to not have specific counters when e.g. reaper is just always going to be the guy with two shotguns, with all that implies for his range and damage output.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

maybe I am just mixing up fan desires with dev comments (also stopped playing before sigma even came out), but I feel like OW1 was perpetually moving away from hard counters and yet nothing really changed in that respect? it's hard to not have specific counters when e.g. reaper is just always going to be the guy with two shotguns, with all that implies for his range and damage output.

Nothing changed because the only times Hard Counters ever mattered were the few times Pharah or 'Hog were meta. Otherwise, every team ran six of the same nine or ten meta heroes and generally trying to play Hard Counter against a single hero got you steamrolled by a meta comp instead.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am skeptical that blizzard is even able to balance the game in a way that would accomplish that. Like a lot of their proposed philsophies for ow2, it would require character design overhauls well beyond the scope of anything they've currently stated plans to do. The game and especially the heroes really are designed from the ground up around counter-swapping and as long as the weapons are so wildly different, there's going to be hard counters.

There's a reason why every other hero shooter that has a non-counterpicking meta does primary attack balance via a universal set of weapons accessible to everyone. I just don't know how on earth they'd actually accomplish that without just straight up making a completely different game.

Also it doesn't seem like OW2 was developed with the idea that heroes should be on a more equal power level. That seems specifically counter to most of the redesigns and to the new heroes that they announced. It looks like that was amended on after development was already basically completed, which is just bizarre.

Mr. Locke posted:

Nothing changed because the only times Hard Counters ever mattered were the few times Pharah or 'Hog were meta. Otherwise, every team ran six of the same nine or ten meta heroes and generally trying to play Hard Counter against a single hero got you steamrolled by a meta comp instead.

counters are 1000% a thing lol and they're not separate from meta comps, they're a part of it, it's the same thing. you might be thinking of where a whole team is tilting and swapping around to deal with one player that's making GBS threads on them, which is just a team getting beaten

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 16, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm not a particularly good player but I would guess that the fact pharah and roadhog were only meta a "few times" was because they're two of the heroes who are most directly and straightforwardly countered, since they have significant vulnerabilities easily exploited by a single player counterpicking (cowboy or really any hitscan at range for pharah, ana for hog) that are difficult to cover via team comp alone

Valentin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 16, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If Blizzard makes Pharah competitive I'll be ASTOUNDED.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't think they can eliminate hard counters in OW without dumbing down the abilities even more than they already have. The standard will be different for what 'hard counter' means but there will still be a clear choice in a lot of cases.

I hate the trend to take away diversity and power of cooldowns. It is well documented that I want to play a non-shooter that happens to have some guns, but I'm not the only one. Making it a bland shooter could kill just as much population as the previous mistakes did. When do they rework rein to make his hammer shoot little orbs?

That said, the beta was still pretty fun. It just didn't feel as dynamic. You just aim the your slightly nuanced damage mechanic at the tank that is on a rampage and use sight lines to avoid the other team.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Valentin posted:

I'm not a particularly good player but I would guess that the fact pharah and roadhog were only meta a "few times" was because they're two of the heroes who are most directly and straightforwardly countered, since they have significant vulnerabilities easily exploited by a single player counterpicking (cowboy or really any hitscan at range for pharah, ana for hog) that are difficult to cover via team comp alone

Yeah, that's the point. Unless the counter is so blatant that you can a basically run a hero-down to make them play even more of a hero down, switching to hard counters wasn't that major in high level play. OW1 had heroes like Winston and Zenyatta who've been at worst fringe meta for a majority of the life of the game, and yet nobody was ever picking Reaper or Doomfist to deal with them unless it was part of the windows where those heroes were naturally very strong, despite Reaper-Winston and Doomfist-Zenyatta being two of the most lopsided matchups that isn't Sniper-Pharah or Ana-Hog. Not even because the heroes were bad, either (well, ok, Doomfist was pretty bad for a decent while) but because they just didn't fit with the comps seeing play. If you could make a minor shuffle without breaking up what made the team build, sure, you could probably shuffle a Brig in for a Moira in order to deal with a Genji who was actually starting to pop off a bit, but you weren't breaking out the pocket Bastion or Soldier 76 to deal with the dual Fatass metas of GOATs and Bunker because even if they beat individual heroes in those teams, what comp that actually saw play had anything for a Bastion or Soldier to do (outside Pirate Ship for Bastion)? It was far more important in OW1 to be playing a useful comp build with a soft counter maybe replacing one of the pieces then playing hard counters that don't necessarily function within the team otherwise.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Eskay talks about how it actually feels to play Kiriko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkd5jKr6wo

Absolutely no point playing Ana now, you'll just be run down and your anti or sleep cleansed.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 16, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I sucked with Ana anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

teagone posted:

I sucked with Ana anyways.

Oh same but I could compensate with positioning and smart ability use.