Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
i just noticed that the cspam title is something that i said therefore i should be idiot king and also owner of the website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Ahead of Hearing, Committee Releases Memo Showing Fossil Fuel Industry is Misleading the Public About Commitment to Reduce Emissions

Highlights:
https://twitter.com/NiranjanAjit/status/1570344227699302400

lol, lmao

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Hubbert posted:

:hmmyes:

and now, for some actual non-mainstream academic content, because this thread has been too happy for too long

Just read through this and lol'd hard at this insert on pg 6

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Mola Yam posted:

do you feel in charge

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MightyBigMinus posted:

since then we've seen covid, the energy & food-cost inflation spike of the euro war, and 30+ MILLION people driven from their homes in under a week... and all it seems to do is just kinda crowd each other out? like if things are going to poo poo everywhere, then by the mid 2030s when a six-figure bodycount heatwave hits southeast asia... it will barely even get reported on? like there won't be a global aid package or a 'movement' or anything... it'll just be some more lovely news that month.

i still have to go to work and my kids still have to go to school

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MightyBigMinus posted:

been thinking about how little response/reaction there's been to the flooding in pakistan. i mean sure, articles, but its basically just short term news cycle poo poo.

in ksr's ministry of the future the premise is a nearly overnight six-figure death toll in the region acts as a kind of global 9/11 to kick off a world response.

since then we've seen covid, the energy & food-cost inflation spike of the euro war, and 30+ MILLION people driven from their homes in under a week... and all it seems to do is just kinda crowd each other out? like if things are going to poo poo everywhere, then by the mid 2030s when a six-figure bodycount heatwave hits southeast asia... it will barely even get reported on? like there won't be a global aid package or a 'movement' or anything... it'll just be some more lovely news that month.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

goochtit posted:

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
back to the office, everyone!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

do you feel in charge

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

goochtit posted:

sapience is an evolutionary dead-end lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

LOL holy poo poo the email about gaslighting is a must read.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
There's gotta be some betting pools going on. These fucks love em.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

goochtit posted:

lmfao getting increasingly tedpilled

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

It's aged well. Every time I find new things to laugh even harder about.

Mola Yam posted:

do you feel in charge

Thank you IK Stereotype for stimulating this tremendous content.

goochtit posted:

I haven't kept up with this subject since I was a student, but has anyone actually shown that bigger brain = smarter? The example one of my profs used was Anatole France whose post-mortem showed the smallest brain/body mass ratio ever found or something to that effect.

Also, I'm pretty sure men are getting stupider faster than women but that might just be a sexual bias in my observations. Probably shouldn't have started playing WoW again.

Successfully foraging in a natural environment requires a deep knowledge base, keeping track of a lot of time and space variables, and actively watching for changes and cues. There's only one group of humans still close to a pure hunter/gatherer existence, the Hadza people in Tanzania and only about 300 of the 1200 members are still pursuing that existence. A couple of years ago a trading post opened in their territory so there's been a flurry of research activity into things like gut biomes before they Coca-Cola themselves into modernity. They will probably end up like the Inuit, some knowledge of foraging retained but dependent on agriculture for calories. And, like the Inuit, all foraging groups will have to deal re-writing their traditional knowledge as the environment changes. The Inuit are having to come up with new words for the species showing up in their territories for the first time in 6,000 years. It's going to be tricky keeping up with what's edible.

Speaking of the Arctic, one aspect of Arctic agriculture I don't see being discussed is the light available up there. During the PETM planetary motion was the same so how in the hell was there enough photosynthetic active radiation available to grow enough plants to make swamps with giant alligators in them when you don't see the sun for several months of the year? Are mosses and ferns that productive under high temp/high CO2/low light conditions?

tl;dr: We're hosed, especially those dumbasses who figure they're going to grab their bugout bags and head for the wilderness. Make sure you arrive in August so you can forage my blackberry hedge.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mola Yam posted:

do you feel in charge

Please probe me for an hour with this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I wouldn't assume that shrinking brains means everyone is stupid now. It makes sense that our brains would shrink as certain tasks are externalized due to society; but the mental tasks we are unable to externalize are the ones resulting from the innate intelligence of human beings. 200 years ago people were not living an easy decadent life, but they didn't have to worry about being eaten by predators as much as their 200,000 year old ancestors. Evolution has not meaningfully occurred since industrial civilization started.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
well, neanderthals had significantly larger brain sizes, but showed no evidence any culture or technology more advanced than sapiens, quite the opposite in regards of their stone tool complexity, although they did have equivalent cultural works in the form of cave paintings

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Also my philosophy w/r/t climate disaster is that I will attempt to be realistic while using that information to try and live as dignified of a life as I can; for as long of a life as I can.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

lollontee posted:

well, neanderthals had significantly larger brain sizes, but showed no evidence any culture or technology more advanced than sapiens, quite the opposite in regards of their stone tool complexity, although they did have equivalent cultural works in the form of cave paintings

They also lived in smaller groupings than homo sapiens. Fewer eyes and ear, more resources need to be devoted to perception.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Chimpanzees have a much better short-term memory than modern humans. They also can't pay taxes. Tbh I think they have the better deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXP8qeFF6A

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

unwantedplatypus posted:

They also lived in smaller groupings than homo sapiens. Fewer eyes and ear, more resources need to be devoted to perception.

uh, no they lived in groups the same size as humans

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

lollontee posted:

uh, no they lived in groups the same size as humans

Ah, you're right. thanks for correcting me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hexigrammus posted:

I haven't kept up with this subject since I was a student, but has anyone actually shown that bigger brain = smarter? The example one of my profs used was Anatole France whose post-mortem showed the smallest brain/body mass ratio ever found or something to that effect.

Also, I'm pretty sure men are getting stupider faster than women but that might just be a sexual bias in my observations. Probably shouldn't have started playing WoW again.

Successfully foraging in a natural environment requires a deep knowledge base, keeping track of a lot of time and space variables, and actively watching for changes and cues. There's only one group of humans still close to a pure hunter/gatherer existence, the Hadza people in Tanzania and only about 300 of the 1200 members are still pursuing that existence. A couple of years ago a trading post opened in their territory so there's been a flurry of research activity into things like gut biomes before they Coca-Cola themselves into modernity. They will probably end up like the Inuit, some knowledge of foraging retained but dependent on agriculture for calories. And, like the Inuit, all foraging groups will have to deal re-writing their traditional knowledge as the environment changes. The Inuit are having to come up with new words for the species showing up in their territories for the first time in 6,000 years. It's going to be tricky keeping up with what's edible.

Speaking of the Arctic, one aspect of Arctic agriculture I don't see being discussed is the light available up there. During the PETM planetary motion was the same so how in the hell was there enough photosynthetic active radiation available to grow enough plants to make swamps with giant alligators in them when you don't see the sun for several months of the year? Are mosses and ferns that productive under high temp/high CO2/low light conditions?

tl;dr: We're hosed, especially those dumbasses who figure they're going to grab their bugout bags and head for the wilderness. Make sure you arrive in August so you can forage my blackberry hedge.

anectdotally i'm a dude and you can review my gangtags to determine my level of brainulation

lollontee posted:

they also discovered the method to obtain the first synthetic compounds: pine tar. Making pitch. Or at least iirc they had tools that used pitch in their construction before the rest of us.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

goochtit posted:

me am now stereotypical caveman!

:thunk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

Speaking of the Arctic, one aspect of Arctic agriculture I don't see being discussed is the light available up there. During the PETM planetary motion was the same so how in the hell was there enough photosynthetic active radiation available to grow enough plants to make swamps with giant alligators in them when you don't see the sun for several months of the year?

the continents have drifted.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Those extra cc could have saved us :eng99:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
pretty sure subtropical poles would just have plants that grow in summer and either go dormant or stay as seeds in winter

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

I wouldn't assume that shrinking brains means everyone is stupid now. It makes sense that our brains would shrink as certain tasks are externalized due to society; but the mental tasks we are unable to externalize are the ones resulting from the innate intelligence of human beings. 200 years ago people were not living an easy decadent life, but they didn't have to worry about being eaten by predators as much as their 200,000 year old ancestors. Evolution has not meaningfully occurred since industrial civilization started.

Oh God 1349cc

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1570493153261780992

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

who loving cares

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hexigrammus posted:

It was assumed for an extremely long time that birds were dumbass idiots because they had tiny smooth brains but it turns out they evolved hyper-dense hyper-specialized brains that are way more advanced than ours are in a square inch per square inch gray matter contest

crows could be well on their way to surpassing us as their brains get denser and denser with every generation and ours puff out and wither away like so much marshmallow fluff in the sun

edit: a post human-apocalypse novel about a crow hunter gatherer society would be extremely dope

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

On the list of new problems this is down low but it's now too hot for coastal fog in places like San Francisco so :rip: to some more trees

https://twitter.com/AlexanderSWood/status/1570505328785264641

quote:

In 2010, Dr. Dawson and a graduate student, James Johnstone, published another study with an attention-grabbing conclusion: Using observational data at airports in the coastal redwood region — from central California to its northern border, including the Bay Area — they found that the frequency of fog, measured by fog hours per day, had dropped 33 percent since the middle of the 20th century.

Fog was disappearing.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Sep 15, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
climate change...changing the....climate??

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Koirhor posted:

who loving cares

100% cotton underwear is already kind of expensive >.>

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BCR posted:

Air will be cleaner though, as the infrastructure hits it 30 year chabadore limit.

what’s a chabrador? a Tiktok dog species?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pryor on Fire posted:

On the list of new problems this is down low but it's now too hot for coastal fog in places like San Francisco so :rip: to some more trees

https://twitter.com/AlexanderSWood/status/1570505328785264641

this also means the death of the coastal redwood lmao

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Simply hook up that fracking water to grocery store produce misters

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

silicone thrills posted:

100% cotton underwear is already kind of expensive >.>

I would simply wear underwear made from synthetic fibres to ensure that I am entirely coated in plastic at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert posted:

I would simply wear underwear made from synthetic fibres to ensure that I am entirely coated in plastic at all times.

Synthetic fibers really suck for the delicate health and balance of the vaginal region thank you.

Im not spending the rest of my time on this hell scape with BV and UTIs