Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, here's something I remember but haven't seen for years. It was posted on these forums well over a decade (possibly two decades) ago. It was a flash animation, with characters in the sort of stick-figure-eqsue look you see now in places like the Oversimplified youtube videos. There were two of them, and the details of the two kinda mix in my memory. I believe in both the main character was this grandfather. They were both set during the holidays, possible Christmas. Grandfather was with his family, and he was having a flashback to when he was in WW2. In one video he had island in the Pacific where a Japanese pilot also crashed. He ended up killing the other pilot, and then the video went back to the present where the grandkid was kinda being a dumbass. It ended with the Johnny Cash cover of Redemption Song.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

EDIT:

It's the same one Chef Boyardeez Nuts is looking for.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A crude goon made animation about an American pilot shot down on an island with a Japanese pilot that plays out to Johnny Cash's cover of redemption song.

Pretty sure the author also made this: :coolfish:

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Pretty sure that I found there here so here goes: During hurricane Katrina someone posted a link to a kind of blog of a guy that was working in a datacenter in New Orleans. He stayed at the datacenter throughout the hurricane and for a few days/weeks after as well. During this time he would post pictures that he took looking out the windows of the building to the blog and gave kind of an hour by hour account of his experiences. The posting was probably less frequent than hourly, but you get the idea. Anybody else remember this and have a link?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

sporkstand posted:

Pretty sure that I found there here so here goes: During hurricane Katrina someone posted a link to a kind of blog of a guy that was working in a datacenter in New Orleans. He stayed at the datacenter throughout the hurricane and for a few days/weeks after as well. During this time he would post pictures that he took looking out the windows of the building to the blog and gave kind of an hour by hour account of his experiences. The posting was probably less frequent than hourly, but you get the idea. Anybody else remember this and have a link?

the pics seem to be dead but that sounds like interdictor on livejournal - this is the first day, things get more interesting in the days following

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Dave Syndrome posted:

The post above about cassette tapes reminded me of the Cassette Generator:

You can find it referenced here: https://laughingsquid.com/cassette-generator/

Sadly, the original site (says-It.com) seems to be gone, and I remember reading a while ago that the guy who ran the site had died.
The site is up on archive.org, but it doesn't seem to generate images any more.

Does anyone know if the page was ever mirrored or if something similar exists?

https://placeit.net/c/design-templates/stages/mixtape-cover-creator-with-a-cassette-graphic-2713g
This one isn't quite what I'm looking for, I just want the plain old-school look of words on a cassette tape.

That was a mix of php and perl, so not something that could be readily mirrored without access to the originals. Someone could replicate it with a little bit of work but any unauthorized mirror or copy that anyone tried to make of the original site won't function without the backend and the missing bits.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

There was a video on YouTube some goon made during 2008 that was just a video of John McCain saying "How about Sarah Palin, heh? HOW ABOUT HER, HHEGH?!" and it just keeps repeating the HHEGH?! over and over for like a minute over footage of Palin winking interspersed with random bits of horror like it's the Ludovico technique.

I'm almost certain the video and the YouTube account are gone now, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005
Many years ago, in the early to mid 90s (though it was second hand so could be older) I read a book about a British sailors and Pacific islanders in the age of sail. It might have been historical fiction based on Cook or the mutiny on the Bounty or perhaps more just inspired by those events. The main female character might have been a princess and went off with the sailors. It felt like a mix of trashy romance and adventure and I mainly enjoyed it because it had some very saucy scenes. I think the cover was largely red in colour, possibly with said lady/princess looking alluring. Having read more about the Bounty and its history I remembered the book and tried to find it just out of curiosity and it's driving me crazy that I can't find it.
Would be amazed if anyone was able to ID it from these half remembered snippets that might all be wrong, but any help would be super appreciated.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Wow! I made my post about this in 2019, and you found it now. This really made my day :sun:

Thanks again, it's groovy!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

axolotl farmer posted:

Wow! I made my post about this in 2019, and you found it now. This really made my day :sun:

Thanks again, it's groovy!
The video only appears to be uploaded in 2021, so it makes sense it was easy to find now but not then. Just started to read this thread from the start on a lark, to see if there are things that look findable that didn't get an answer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Flipperwaldt posted:

The video only appears to be uploaded in 2021, so it makes sense it was easy to find now but not then. Just started to read this thread from the start on a lark, to see if there are things that look findable that didn't get an answer.
Yeah I found literally the OP recently because since he posted it someone had uploaded an entire TV series to YouTube and catalogued it on reddit.

AND HE NEVER EVEN SAID THANKS

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

shelley posted:

the pics seem to be dead but that sounds like interdictor on livejournal - this is the first day, things get more interesting in the days following

This is definitely it, thanks! Reading it now and I don't recall all the racism the first time round, but :yikes:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

sporkstand posted:

This is definitely it, thanks! Reading it now and I don't recall all the racism the first time round, but :yikes:

Yeah, upon reflection it seems pretty clear that this guy was way more racist (and full of poo poo) than we all thought 17 years ago.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Okay I got one for you guys...

I'm looking for something VERY similar to Beyond the Mind's Eye. When I first started looking for this video, I came across Beyond the Mind's Eye, and was originally sure it had to be part of the series, but the more of it I watched, I was never able to find the any Beyond the Mind's Eye that was what I was looking for.

And in retrospect, the video I am looking for differs slightly in that Beyond the Mind's Eye seems much more created for the purpose of art. Whereas the video I'm looking for seemed like it was created more as a tech demo of computer graphics.

This VHS video would have been from the late 1980's-early 1990's. My dad had this video and was an architect at the time. He would have been using computer programs like AutoCAD, so its reasonable to assume he was given this video as part of a tech demo at work or something.

It wasn't feature length, and was probably 20-45 minutes long on VHS. All the different computer animated segments were set to synthy music. Some of the ones I remember are a skeleton playing the drums to a rock song. There was something that looked like a demo of laser eye surgery. And something about a butterfly.

Any ideas?

Here's Beyond the Mind's Eye for reference. But As I said I haven't seen any of those segments from any of these videos up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHllSEYSYcU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, here's something I remember but haven't seen for years. It was posted on these forums well over a decade (possibly two decades) ago. It was a flash animation, with characters in the sort of stick-figure-eqsue look you see now in places like the Oversimplified youtube videos. There were two of them, and the details of the two kinda mix in my memory. I believe in both the main character was this grandfather. They were both set during the holidays, possible Christmas. Grandfather was with his family, and he was having a flashback to when he was in WW2. In one video he had island in the Pacific where a Japanese pilot also crashed. He ended up killing the other pilot, and then the video went back to the present where the grandkid was kinda being a dumbass. It ended with the Johnny Cash cover of Redemption Song.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

EDIT:

It's the same one Chef Boyardeez Nuts is looking for.

Pretty sure the one you're thinking of was by goon Luxmore. Some of his stuff is still online, but flash is dead: http://www.mediatyrant.com/flash/index.html
Can't find that specific video though

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I'm looking for something VERY similar to Beyond the Mind's Eye. When I first started looking for this video, I came across Beyond the Mind's Eye, and was originally sure it had to be part of the series, but the more of it I watched, I was never able to find the any Beyond the Mind's Eye that was what I was looking for.

And in retrospect, the video I am looking for differs slightly in that Beyond the Mind's Eye seems much more created for the purpose of art. Whereas the video I'm looking for seemed like it was created more as a tech demo of computer graphics.

This VHS video would have been from the late 1980's-early 1990's. My dad had this video and was an architect at the time. He would have been using computer programs like AutoCAD, so its reasonable to assume he was given this video as part of a tech demo at work or something.

It wasn't feature length, and was probably 20-45 minutes long on VHS. All the different computer animated segments were set to synthy music. Some of the ones I remember are a skeleton playing the drums to a rock song. There was something that looked like a demo of laser eye surgery. And something about a butterfly.

Any ideas?

Here's Beyond the Mind's Eye for reference. But As I said I haven't seen any of those segments from any of these videos up on youtube.

Maybe one of these…
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3gxQH1a6smDkDqB7tNAhPthilsjl_rjX

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Grumio posted:

Pretty sure the one you're thinking of was by goon Luxmore. Some of his stuff is still online, but flash is dead: http://www.mediatyrant.com/flash/index.html

That was my thought as well. Met luxmore once many years ago, seemed like a nice kid.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Grumio posted:

That definitely looks like it. I think that they were the Christmas 2003 (and the Happy New Year 2004) videos.

Installed a Flash player emulator extension, and yep. This is them. White whale found.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Any ideas?

There were several Mind's Eye sequels and a bunch of spin-offs you might try tracking down.

DoomLazer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 16, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mr_mojo posted:

Many years ago, in the early to mid 90s (though it was second hand so could be older) I read a book about a British sailors and Pacific islanders in the age of sail. It might have been historical fiction based on Cook or the mutiny on the Bounty or perhaps more just inspired by those events. The main female character might have been a princess and went off with the sailors. It felt like a mix of trashy romance and adventure and I mainly enjoyed it because it had some very saucy scenes. I think the cover was largely red in colour, possibly with said lady/princess looking alluring. Having read more about the Bounty and its history I remembered the book and tried to find it just out of curiosity and it's driving me crazy that I can't find it.
Would be amazed if anyone was able to ID it from these half remembered snippets that might all be wrong, but any help would be super appreciated.

Are you thinking of Horatio Hornblower? The main female character is a duchess or something who has to be rescued but then ends up on the ship with the hero for several books.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Hornblower was basically never saucy though (sadly.)

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

Are you thinking of Horatio Hornblower? The main female character is a duchess or something who has to be rescued but then ends up on the ship with the hero for several books.

I don't think so, I think the English sailors were mostly the baddies, though there might have been a couple of good guys. Appreciate the suggestion, especially as my description is super vague and I could be misremembering.
It's a long shot with so little to go on, but it's driving me crazy!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
It sounds a little like Nation by Terry Pratchett, but there was no sauciness in that and the timeframe's off

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mr_mojo posted:

Might be worth cross posting here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It's a Twitter or a Tumblr post with an image of an erotic painting or sculpture (can't remember) and some kind of prudish remark, and the punchline is "looks like she's doing all right for herself," and it made me howl with laughter and now I can't find it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The Cursed Woman! Very :nws:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

That's the one! Thanks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
When the new Star Trek reboot was about to come out, someone made a faux-trailer that interspersed the trailer with scenes from The Original Series, especially the episode the Enemy within where Shatner gets split into two parts, and at one point he gets upset and starts beating up equipment saying "I am Kirk".

I got a kick out of that faux-trailer, but I'm pretty sure it got DMCA''ed off the internet, it disappeared from my bookmarks and I've never seen it since.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A pretty well written but obviously fake account of some guy being taken to an alien planet. I remember reading it from a website years back. The author kept alluding to the fact that he would look at his watch "but 6:30 was Earth time and had no meaning here". There was a part of the story where he observed an alien game that was somewhat like soccer, and he accidentally committed some sort of faux pas and was given the message 'Don't do it again' in no uncertain terms.

I wish I could remember the name of the planet he supposedly visited, but those are the only details I can think of.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A thread on the forums whose flavor text in the title was "x didn't say that" or "x didn't actually say that". I kinda wanna say it was an ask tell thread but I'm not certain

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
An old (20+ years) edutainment game probably in the broderbund family where there was a bunch of different things (animals?) making music in various genres to teach poo poo. Also there was a mini game in which little ants would eat words I think and say things like delicioso

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Milo and POTUS posted:

A thread on the forums whose flavor text in the title was "x didn't say that" or "x didn't actually say that". I kinda wanna say it was an ask tell thread but I'm not certain

Probably not it, but it's a running gag in the pro wrestling section of the forum, based off some YouTube comment exchange that went like this:

Person A: John Cena hates Albanians.
Person B: He never said that.
Person A: He said that you son of a bitch.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I have two, both 80s movies I saw when I was too young to form correct memories of them:

1) Someone does acrobatics over a black and white tile floor in an exotic locale. They land on the wrong tile and explode.

2) A paintball place in a forest where someone is using live rounds and they have to be stopped.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

2) A paintball place in a forest where someone is using live rounds and they have to be stopped.

I'm thinking it's the climax of Class of 1999 2: The Substitute, but could also potentially be the climax of Child's Play 3

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
back in the late 90s in canada this new channel appeared called Teletoon. nowadays it's a pale shadow of its former glory, but back when it was new they would air just about fuckin anything late at night. I remember they'd sometimes have these old crappy cartoons that looked like they were from the 70s or something. I don't remember what this one was called, but it aired right after The Nudnik Show or around the same time as it (after 9PM, circa 1997/98). Here is how I remember this show: it featured a boy and a girl who were playing in a junk yard or landfill or something and built a car out of an old bathtub and some other trash that was lying around. There was some explanation of how it worked narrated by the boy as it showed the moving parts appearing on the bathtub as he described them to the friendly junk yard owner. they get in the bathtub car and start to ride around in it until it breaks down. the children lament that "delilah" isn't there to pull them back home, and the junk yard owner who is also riding in the bathtub car with the kids, tells them that she is. A smiling donkey then appears, apparently having been riding covertly in this bathtub the whole time. the boy exclaims "deliah! are WE GLAD to SEE YOU!" then some other stuff happens that I don't remember, i think my parents made me go to bed at this point.

it was exactly as crappy as it sounds and it's been seared into my memory since i was 11. please someone help me get this awful cartoon out of my system

Junk fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 4, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Junk posted:

back in the late 90s in canada this new channel appeared called Teletoon. nowadays it's a pale shadow of its former glory, but back when it was new they would air just about fuckin anything late at night. I remember they'd sometimes have these old crappy cartoons that looked like they were from the 70s or something. I don't remember what this one was called, but it aired right after The Nudnik Show or around the same time as it (after 9PM). Here is how I remember this show: it featured a boy and a girl who were playing in a junk yard or landfill or something and built a car out of an old bathtub and some other trash that was lying around. There was some explanation of how it worked narrated by the boy as it showed the moving parts appearing on the bathtub as he described them to the friendly junk yard owner. they get in the bathtub car and start to ride around in it until it breaks down. the children lament that "delilah" isn't there to pull them back home, and the junk yard owner who is also riding in the bathtub car with the kids, tells them that she is. A smiling donkey then appears, apparently having been riding covertly in this bathtub the whole time. the boy exclaims "deliah! are WE GLAD to SEE YOU!" then some other stuff happens that I don't remember, i think my parents made me go to bed at this point.

it was exactly as crappy as it sounds and it's been seared into my memory since i was 11. please someone help me get this awful cartoon out of my system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ8SHafHpEA

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress you for getting my hopes up

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Junk posted:

gently caress you for getting my hopes up

Why can't google find your fake show?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Jelly posted:

Why can't google find your fake show?

it was real

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

real lovely

edit: and also regular real

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I remember that general type of programming on Teletoon. A lot of it was festival animation. I suggest looking for "Canadian animation shorts" as a keyword to narrow it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

there was definitely a block that was devoted to national film board stuff but that was earlier in the evening