Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There have been reports that Toolbar Pushback keeps running in the background and slowly tanks performance during flight. The creator denies this and hasn't done any updates for a while.

However if you remove Toolbar Pushback from the toolbar (using the toolbar settings) it seems to fix the problem. Then you can add it back when you land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for the simple advice that worked. Emptied by community folder of addons and did a repeat of my last flight.

Image below is about 30 minutes in. I would have been having issues already. Now to figure out which one it is.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

CancerStick posted:

Thanks for the simple advice that worked. Emptied by community folder of addons and did a repeat of my last flight.

Image below is about 30 minutes in. I would have been having issues already. Now to figure out which one it is.

If you don't have this yet, it will make this process a lot easier
https://github.com/NathanVaughn/msfs-mod-manager

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

CancerStick posted:

Toolbar Pushback

I don't use this myself but I've read that it's been causing trouble for a lot of people.

quote:

Working Title addons

Keep in mind that the WT G1000NXi is now on the Marketplace (and will be the default in SU10), so definitely remove that from the community folder if you're still holding on to the old version from the WT website.

EDIT: Woops, already got this figured out. I'll just be a second voice to recommend using an addons manager. I like this one:

https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Rot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 30, 2022

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I did some more testing of my FPS plummeting after about 30 minutes of flight. Reintroduced some of the third party add-ons. I think it's actually Navigraph Simlink. Did a flight with the HJet and it happened. Did a flight immediately after with a Got Gravel NXCub mod with the only other change being not using Navigraph (and obviously Sim Link) and had zero issues.

Just need to repeat that HJet flight without and see. I really don't want it to be Simlink though as I really like using navigraph.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Navigraph guy seems pretty responsive on their support fourms. If you can reproduce and show it's them you might post it there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Just cross-quoting this from DCS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Vahakyla posted:

Dear Fighter Pilots, Partners and Friends,
We are thrilled to introduce the Airplane Simulation Company who proudly present a modernized version of a truly iconic tactical airlifter, the C-130J. The arrival of this four engine turboprop transport will bring a new era of rich logistics gameplay in DCS.
Although the C-130 first entered service nearly 70 years ago, the airframe has been continually updated, culminating with the delivery of the J model in 1999. Watch the teaser.
The ‘J’ is a modernized variant that features a glass cockpit, air-to-ground radar, FMS, and computerized airdrop capabilities designed to reduce crew workload.
Exciting additional variants are planned in the near future, including the KC versions. This will offer player to player aerial refueling, another first in DCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYllbjF2xaM

Maybe we'll get more civilian sim nerds to cross over into DCS to fly tankers and cargo for the warplane nerds.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Vahakyla posted:

Just cross-quoting this from DCS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Maybe we'll get more civilian sim nerds to cross over into DCS to fly tankers and cargo for the warplane nerds.

Just waiting for the day when I can flip on the Attitude Hold in an E2 and just do circles while staring at the F10 map.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Just waiting for the day when I can flip on the Attitude Hold in an E2 and just do circles while staring at the F10 map.

I imagine the experience is much the same in a tanker. If anyone bothers you, just say "return pre contact" until they go away.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Multi-crew spooky variant, THEM you do the circles.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
That fun time of the day when I have 45 minutes that I could spend tooling around in an A321 but can't justify the effort when it takes 20 minutes to start the game and prep a flight.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

XP12 Early Access is now available.

Edit: Demo is free. I'm probably going to wait till it comes out on Steam though.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 6, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JayKay posted:

XP12 Early Access is now available.

Edit: Demo is free. I'm probably going to wait till it comes out on Steam though.

I hope XP12 is good. I had no interest in XP11 because the difference to XP10 was really minor.

If this update is lackluster, XP will fall even further into obsolescence compared to MSFS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

One of the streamers I follow had this to say about XP12 and I think it's pretty on point.

quote:

If you like XP11, you'll appreciate the improvements in XP12. If you don't like XP11, XP12 won't change your mind about X-Plane. If you've never tried X-Plane, wait until XP12 is out of early access before investing any money. If you've never used a flight sim but want to, get MSFS.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like both well enough. X Plane just has really sparse scenery now I'm used to MFS, where between FSX and Xplane the gap was narrowing.

Plus I don't have enough money to supply myself with MFS planes, DCS modules, AND Xplane planes. The Dash 8 does look mighty tempting though

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like xplane plane models and I like msfs scenery. And xplane has shared cockpit

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

sellouts posted:

I like xplane plane models and I like msfs scenery. And xplane has shared cockpit

Shared cockpit is a huge boon, and a big black mark on MSFS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shared cockpits are still marked as "planned" on their roadmap, but it's been that way for two years now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Looking at all the comparisons between MSFS and X-Plane, I appreciate the sheer image clarity that x-plane’s old fashioned rendering provides.

MSFS uses a bunch of modern tricks that involve reconstructing and scaling and dithering various elements, and you end up with a smeary, noisy image in some scenarios.

I’m still not very enthusiastic about X-Plane 12, but it makes me wish msfs would calm down a little. I miss some of my old XP modules, but the scenery factor is a big deal to me. Being able to visually navigate anywhere in the world without having to install some custom crap is still amazing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
SU 10 will bring DLSS. If you happen to have an NVidia card, things might be less mushy with reconstruction AA.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’m on the beta. The current implementation is kinda mixed, but maybe it’ll get there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
414 Chancellor is out on the MSFS store

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm experiencing some a little bit more glitchiness on my MSFS installation, so I've decided to do a clean re-install with up-to-date mods and everything. After uninstalling in Steam, there was still about 190GB in my Roaming folder, not counting the community folder. That game's a chonker. Wondering if it's all cached terrain. Bottom line is if you have a bunch of sims you might as well get a single SSD dedicated to just simming, what with the crazy space demands, the need to keep backups of configs around, and whatnot.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lord Stimperor posted:

After uninstalling in Steam, there was still about 190GB in my Roaming folder, not counting the community folder. That game's a chonker. Wondering if it's all cached terrain.

No, Steam on removes the most basic executables and support files when you uninstall, about 300mb. It leaves the bulk of the game content still on the drive. Yet another sign of this games ridiculous installer/updater.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://youtu.be/9ALFcgeQ7gk

Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012186

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/weirdgameads/status/1569842362729103361

if a real flight sim had destruction physics like this, i wouldn't ever play anything else

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
IT would be incredibly fun to also have realistic plane modeling in response to over stresses rather than just the screen going black.

And also it would be fun to crash planes into buildings or sports stadiums just cause.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no way Microsoft could get away with that. It would be all over the news about how it is a terrorist training simulator and it's brainwashing your kids.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

soggybagel posted:

IT would be incredibly fun to also have realistic plane modeling in response to over stresses rather than just the screen going black.
Just need better cockpit controls for Kerbal Space Program
https://youtu.be/Zv4vQpItJUY

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Of course and I get it... But a man can dream!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
There was one version of Flight Simulator - I think it was 98 where your plane would shatter like glass and fall to the ground. With a suitable sound effect too.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Flight Unlimited!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
One or two versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator (I think 2000 and maybe 2004) actually had damage modeling because they shared an engine with Combat Flight Simulator 2, and you just had to change one line in a .cfg file to enable it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve watched enough Air Disasters that I have to disagree that that sort of damage modeling would ever be fun. A game will never be able to capture the insane things that have gone wrong on planes. Watching a fireball once or twice is fun but loses its novelty quick and they’ll never capture weird cascading failures combined with weird ingenuity like this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeve_Aleutian_Airways_Flight_8?wprov=sfti1

Don’t get me wrong I get the gut reaction of wanting it but I don’t think it could ever deliver something other than a “wow that was cool. Anyway, onto something else“ sort of moment.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

0toShifty posted:

There was one version of Flight Simulator - I think it was 98 where your plane would shatter like glass and fall to the ground. With a suitable sound effect too.

Yep, but only the Cessna 172 would do that from FS5 until FS98 or maybe 2000. Any other plane would just stand still where it crashed.

azflyboy posted:

One or two versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator (I think 2000 and maybe 2004) actually had damage modeling because they shared an engine with Combat Flight Simulator 2, and you just had to change one line in a .cfg file to enable it.

Ok that's news to me, holy crap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1E8o9bpWD0

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve watched enough Air Disasters that I have to disagree that that sort of damage modeling would ever be fun. A game will never be able to capture the insane things that have gone wrong on planes. Watching a fireball once or twice is fun but loses its novelty quick and they’ll never capture weird cascading failures combined with weird ingenuity like this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeve_Aleutian_Airways_Flight_8?wprov=sfti1

Don’t get me wrong I get the gut reaction of wanting it but I don’t think it could ever deliver something other than a “wow that was cool. Anyway, onto something else“ sort of moment.

You underestimate how much fun it would be to crash a plane into my friends houses and watch a fireball ensue.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Am I just having a stroke or… wasn’t there something in the news years ago about people “cyber bullying” others by sending them video of flight sim planes crashing into their houses? Like I’m pretty sure the people on the news gave this practice a specific name and everything.

Because the whole idea of doing this to somebody and expecting it to be actually threatening is lol as hell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it was a threat, but people were doing that even MSFS2020 came out, simply because everyone's house was in it due to photogrammetry and what not. I don't know if anyone meant it to be anything other than a joke. Aside from the people flying into groverhaus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

soggybagel posted:

And also it would be fun to crash planes into buildings or sports stadiums just cause.

I think what would be even better is if buildings and trees would show damage and there was an option to see all of the crashes and damages all players have caused all over the world.

I want to fly through a burning hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

sigher posted:

I think what would be even better is if buildings and trees would show damage and there was an option to see all of the crashes and damages all players have caused all over the world.

I want to fly through a burning hellscape.

First thing that popped into my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEoxaGkNcrg