Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every double tap makes you run faster until you break stuff by colliding into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Every game only needs two buttons.
One to toggle winning and the other to toggle losing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Video Games in 3022 be like:

Press the Good Button to win
Press the Bad Button to lose

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Peak video game design

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the absolute worst part of RT+P is how little feedback your actions have so he was right

unfortunately he's talking about Dragon Age 2 which sucked rear end but still

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People like to make fun of that guy for whatever reason, but he's correct. Whenever you press a button, something awesome SHOULD happen.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

exquisite tea posted:

People like to make fun of that guy for whatever reason, but he's correct. Whenever you press a button, something awesome SHOULD happen.

My attention span is too short for this. What about awesome things happening automatically?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Vampire Survivors.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why bother with these extremely roundabout ways when you can just make it so that whenever you press a button it injects heroin straight into your brain? No need to all that development time and expensive consoles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Press the Good Button to win

I'm going to press the bad button and complain about it online

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Add a pretentious British narrator disparaging you for pressing any button and you'll have yourself another Indie GOTY.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You should press the good button on the New Reply page.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm going to press the bad button and complain about it online
Refuse to use game mechanics and leave bad reviews.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Kins posted:

You should press the good button on the New Reply page.

That's the losing button. The winning button is "Log Out".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Unexpected benefits of the Bad Button - 7 page article on NeoKotaku

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

Purchase the Battle Pass to unlock the Good Button to win

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

Almost every game has extra delay before you can do an action if you were sprinting. I was just playing Titanfall 2 and getting extremely annoyed at only having toggle sprint because there was no reliable way to know if pressing LMB would make me shoot now or in half a second because you had to stop sprinting first.

But okay, let's assume that you don't give a poo poo about controls being responsive. There's still a poo poo ton of issue with toggle sprint.
For example, let's say you are sprinting forward and you want to do a sprinting jump 90 degrees to your right.
If you don't ride the gate on your analog stick every time you want to do something like that, you can't know if after moving your stick to the right will have kept your sprint on, or if your stick accidentally passed too close to neutral, cancelling the sprint.

Context sensitive actions in action games are bad and should be avoided as much as possible. There's nothing worse than unreliable controls.

that sounds like a pain in the rear end but the obvious solution is to have a clear ui indicator when your character is sprinting, whether it's speed lines on screen or the fpsman holding his gun in a different pointing-up sprinting stance instead of aiming it straight ahead, or changing the fov to make poo poo look faster, or really anything else (or better yet just make the character always sprinting 100% of the time like doomguy and give the player a hold-to-walk button for when they want to do something stupid like "walk slowly")

having to hold a face button to sprint is 100x worse because when you make that 90 degree turn you have absolutely no camera control to see where you're going unless you use some kind of satanic claw grip so you can use face buttons + thumbstick simultaneously. of course a decent automatic camera is ok for this but you should never steal camera control in a first-person game and most games with over-the-shoulder camers are too dumb for this. if it's a fixed-camera or top-down camera it'll work fine though.
having it on a trigger or back paddle is just fine for this but back paddles aren't standard and most action games reserve their triggers for other stuff.
but dark souls and monster hunter's sprint buttons are just complete dogshit on controller if you don't have a back paddle remapped to B

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
The proest sprint toggle is in Roboquest, toggle permanently on in the options.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

toggle sprint owns

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

I grew up with arcades. As far as I'm concerned, pressing buttons is awesome in itself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

exquisite tea posted:

That is like Asura's Wrath except the gameplay gets in the way of it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Metal: Hellsinger is very good. Really glad to play this on Gamepass because I loved the demo but not enough to go out and buy the game right away.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leal posted:

Every game should have an autorun button TBH

I bet if I added up my 10,000+ hours of playing videogames in my entire lifetime there would be maybe one total hour where I was not moving at the fastest speed available to the player. There is no reason to have characters move at speeds other than "running" unless moving slowly is the entire point of your game, in which case there should be no option to run. IMO

It's like games like Rimworld giving me the option to speed up time. The fastest possible timescale becomes the default and the slower "normal" speeds are never touched, because if I need a second to step away or to build something without the game progressing too fast, it's better to just pause. Why even have the 1x timescale outside of combat, there's nothing to be gained by using it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 15, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Out of all the Vampire Survivor likes I tried based on y'all recommendations I'd say 20 Minutes till Dawn was my favorite. Somewhat different gameplay, much different game flow, but still stimulates the VS pachinko explosion brain chemicals. I didn't try any of the demo ones yet because I don't like demos but among the others I'd say:

VS is still the king, I can't believe the speed at which this is developing and if you put it down for a month and pick it up it's like a whole new game
Boneraiser Minions has good gameplay and gimmick but the graphics are too blocky to easily differentiate between the different types of ghouls and it's easy to get lost on the screen
Nomad Survival is way deeper than VS but because of the extreme number of build options and the number of items you get loses the fun of trying to put together good builds under tighter restrictions
Gunlocked I need to play more but my initial impression was that it was more like playing an NES shmup than a VS game

Oh and the category I went with in my library category was "Bulletlikes" which I still don't love

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you have an android device you should check out Magic Survival which is the game the VS dev was inspired by (and it shows). It's not as polished but has been around longer and I think it's the best it's been right now. Great for a phone game for when you have a half hour to spare, and it's a rare portrait mode game which is a bonus imo. 20 Minutes till Dawn just also came out on android and it's good but it's more of a twin stick shooter so the touch controls can be wonky.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
VS is a top down autoshooter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

zoux posted:

Out of all the Vampire Survivor likes I tried based on y'all recommendations I'd say 20 Minutes till Dawn was my favorite. Somewhat different gameplay, much different game flow, but still stimulates the VS pachinko explosion brain chemicals. I didn't try any of the demo ones yet because I don't like demos but among the others I'd say:

VS is still the king, I can't believe the speed at which this is developing and if you put it down for a month and pick it up it's like a whole new game
Boneraiser Minions has good gameplay and gimmick but the graphics are too blocky to easily differentiate between the different types of ghouls and it's easy to get lost on the screen
Nomad Survival is way deeper than VS but because of the extreme number of build options and the number of items you get loses the fun of trying to put together good builds under tighter restrictions
Gunlocked I need to play more but my initial impression was that it was more like playing an NES shmup than a VS game

Oh and the category I went with in my library category was "Bulletlikes" which I still don't love

I have em under 'Shooty Games' because I don't really play FPSes very much. Agreed re: Boneraiser - I really like it and the progression feels great but it's hard to see what's going on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

20 Minutes Till Dawn has a good foundation, but is constrained by not having enough builds options. The lack of level/enemy variety in all of these games is also sort of an issue in terms of replayability.

Soulstone Survivors was also good, but is just a demo right now so I dunno how the full game pans out. My main issue with the game is that the screen just gets full of poo poo, from meteors falling to whatever the bosses/mobs are doing that things can very easily get lost (and so a kamikaze skeleton throws you to the other side of the map).

My wish for these sorts of games is to give me the build variety and horde slaying of an ARPG condensed into like a 20-30 minute session.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/fanatical-favorites-build-your-own-bundle

New Fanatical bundle:
Tested on Humans
Disjunction
Golf with your friends
Haven Park
Tracks- The family friendly open world train set game
My time at Portia
Space Crew
Flashing lights
Time Loader
Barotrauma
Ruin Raiders
Aquarium designer
Unrailed
Fury of Dracula
Supraland
Hordecore

$7 for 2/3 for $10/5 for $15

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bet if I added up my 10,000+ hours of playing videogames in my entire lifetime there would be maybe one total hour where I was not moving at the fastest speed available to the player. There is no reason to have characters move at speeds other than "running" unless moving slowly is the entire point of your game, in which case there should be no option to run. IMO

It's like games like Rimworld giving me the option to speed up time. The fastest possible timescale becomes the default and the slower "normal" speeds are never touched, because if I need a second to step away or to build something without the game progressing too fast, it's better to just pause. Why even have the 1x timescale outside of combat, there's nothing to be gained by using it

:hmmyes:

I go one step further and use Cheat Engine's speedhack to go even faster when the run speed is too slow. I think I shaved like 10 hours from Persona 4 by doing that during the dungeons (not the story beats, just the running around battling fodder).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Rinkles posted:

First PS game in a while without DLSS?

why would it need DLSS it look like the 2nd Tomb Raider reboot from 8 years ago and should run on lowend HW. Recommended specs do support that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

What about games that can be played as either Stealth or Action? Like TES, sometimes want to be sneaky. Sometimes you wanna just walk around town. Sometimes you want to run in swinging your big 2H mace. Or most "immersive sims" that also offer spectrum of stealthy/hacker/whatever VS murderman 5000

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

haldolium posted:

why would it need DLSS it look like the 2nd Tomb Raider reboot from 8 years ago and should run on lowend HW. Recommended specs do support that.

To not have a bunch of aliasing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Uncharted 4 and Legacy got a PS5 upgrade earlier this year, I imagine the PC release will be more in line with those specs.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/fanatical-favorites-build-your-own-bundle

New Fanatical bundle:
Tested on Humans
Disjunction
Golf with your friends
Haven Park
Tracks- The family friendly open world train set game
My time at Portia
Space Crew
Flashing lights
Time Loader
Barotrauma
Ruin Raiders
Aquarium designer
Unrailed
Fury of Dracula
Supraland
Hordecore

$7 for 2/3 for $10/5 for $15

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I remember people mentioning the plot/cutscenes/getting control yoinked from you in Farcry 5 being kinda dire; are they bad enough to outweight "it's on gamepass"?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

To not have a bunch of aliasing.

DLSS currently is meant to counter excessive HW demands, not as an AA solution for everything. Most proven AA post solutions still surpass it and work just fine for the average game.

these are the Uncharted rec. specs

Processor: Intel i7-4770, AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6 GB), AMD RX 570 (4 GB)
DirectX: Version 12

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dlaa is explicitly for use as an aa solution though?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also most other aa options dont surpass it lol go turn on dlaa in nms, its by far the best antialiasing we've ever had access to, its absolutely incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I remember people mentioning the plot/cutscenes/getting control yoinked from you in Farcry 5 being kinda dire; are they bad enough to outweight "it's on gamepass"?

The mandatory capture cutscenes happen very infrequently, only a handful of times in the whole game. They're just complained about a lot because they are so, so annoying when they happen. It's still worth playing for free.