Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Item Getter posted:

I like how iirc in keeping with the whole schtick with the music being performed by in-universe bands, the Salmon Run related music is credited to "Grizzco" like it's the company's deranged idea of motivational corporate muzak.

Think this might be a reference to how a lot of Japanese companies used to have official company songs, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

doomrider7 posted:

No it's been a thing since Splatoon 1. If you're in ranked and your team is not in control of the objective or are down on points, the game auto fills your special for you automatically. You can see how this can break the game immediately. Yes it gives the team down a fighting chance, but with certain loadouts it becomes functionally impossible to beat them.

Are you talking about tenacity or last ditch effort? Tenacity autofills your special when more people on your team are dead. Last Ditch Effort activates when your team is close to losing and gives you ink savers and ink recovery for the rest of the match.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Waffleman_ posted:

Think this might be a reference to how a lot of Japanese companies used to have official company songs, lol

me and the crew gently caress to the home depot music

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a single player track that only plays in one map which I think is on the first island, and it's like playing a bass synth but the filter is quickly moving downward, so it's not playing lower notes, despite sounding like it. I can't remember what level it is, but it's stuck in my head.

It's almost like a weird ten second loop, turned into a full track.

Edit: might be ring modulation and not simple filtering.

Found the level. It's "Get to know Alterna, your only choice."

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

me and the crew gently caress to the home depot music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgosh-nqzro

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1570486923353001985

i love video games

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Item Getter posted:

I like how iirc in keeping with the whole schtick with the music being performed by in-universe bands, the Salmon Run related music is credited to "Grizzco" like it's the company's deranged idea of motivational corporate muzak.

Did something happen to omega3?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

For some reason, tableturf battles have by far the best music. It gets stuck in my head all day

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The best idol song was the one in the Splatfest Incoming song from the original game and I have no idea what it was because I can't find it on the soundtrack. It's just so peppy

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’ve gone through multiple stages of feelings on the single player track Bang Bing, and I have landed on “this slaps to death and I don’t know why.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO7IuEh4auA

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

DalaranJ posted:

Are you talking about tenacity or last ditch effort? Tenacity autofills your special when more people on your team are dead. Last Ditch Effort activates when your team is close to losing and gives you ink savers and ink recovery for the rest of the match.

No, they're talking about a mechanic in the game separate from those skills. It is a thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is the OST buyable anywhere yet or do they not want my money

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They sometimes add music in post release patches I think, so they might be waiting for a few of those releases first.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
I just hope they bring back a version of Squid Beatz

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bland posted:

No, they're talking about a mechanic in the game separate from those skills. It is a thing.

Yeah it's mentioned in the rules pages for the ranked modes. I don't think there's anything similar for Turf War though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

broken pixel posted:

I’ve gone through multiple stages of feelings on the single player track Bang Bing, and I have landed on “this slaps to death and I don’t know why.”

I just keep hearing the vocals to this as 'crab tank' instead of bang bing, and I think that improves it even more

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Took an hour or three and a few days of trying but made it through the bonus kettle. Once I got to the first checkpoint and past the rails section it wasn’t too bad, although the end did take about five tries. Admittedly once I got frustrated with the rails I looked up a run of it on YouTube and that helped. World champ!

Fedule posted:

Is the OST buyable anywhere yet or do they not want my money

I would pay more than I did for the games just to have the danged soundtracks streamable/playable/listenable, I don’t know why Nintendo refuses to take our money for this stuff.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Trump Card posted:

I just hope they bring back a version of Squid Beatz

Bring back squid jump

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
The matchmaking for a beginner player is laughable. Getting bodied over and over, and I don't know what I should improve on.
Obviously I've watched guides etc, but for matchmaking in the beginner tier (Splatoon 3 being my first game), is not good.
You get matched with opponents who have way more options than you, options that you don't even understand.

Of course the theory of matchmaking should lead you to match you up with both good and bad players, so it should even out. However - I'm new, so I drag down all teams I'm in. Over and over.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sea Lily posted:

I just keep hearing the vocals to this as 'crab tank' instead of bang bing, and I think that improves it even more

i was just singing crab tank out loud when I read your post lol

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

Yeah it goes
"Crab Tank Big!
Crab Tank Big!
Big big big big big
Big big crab"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait until you hear about Industrial Musicals!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Octatonic posted:

Yeah it goes
"Crab Tank Big!
Crab Tank Big!
Big big big big big
Big big crab"

:hmmyes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

broken pixel posted:

it does own. strong splatwo dlc vibes

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PerOlus posted:

The matchmaking for a beginner player is laughable. Getting bodied over and over, and I don't know what I should improve on.
Obviously I've watched guides etc, but for matchmaking in the beginner tier (Splatoon 3 being my first game), is not good.
You get matched with opponents who have way more options than you, options that you don't even understand.

Of course the theory of matchmaking should lead you to match you up with both good and bad players, so it should even out. However - I'm new, so I drag down all teams I'm in. Over and over.

Don't sweat it. Continue to suck, until you suddenly don't. Surprise!

Knowing your own kit is far more important than knowing your opponents'. It's not like there's no point in knowing exactly what a Charger's range is, but on the whole your tactics are informed by your own capabilities. The Splattershot Jr is low to medium range and fast firing, which makes it very good at ambushes and less good in an open fight against someone who can easily outrange you. It's also, not coincidentally, very good at just painting the floor, and can put down a ton of ink quickly while enabling you to swim forward immediately, and has a ton of capacity. It's rounded out by a simple, utilitarian sub and special. The splat bomb is self explanatory. The Big Bubbler puts up a shield you can hide inside for a bit, which is easy to work out how to use. It's not a weak weapon, it's just a very simple one that allows you to find a niche you like without having to worry about technique (yet).

Also turf war doesn't have a big exp penalty for losing so you won't be on a low level for long. The next few weapons are also fairly straightforward and ungimmicky and you should choose based on what you wound up doing with the Splattershot Jr.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

PerOlus posted:

Well, playing the single player campaign is really helpful for getting basics of various weapons down and there's levels that teach the specifics of how some specials work. Salmon Run is also a good training mode, just do the tutorials and you should be good to go.

If you don't want to do that, focus on inking, not everyone is a murder machine but the person who did 1k+ inking often contributes more to a turf war than the guy with 11 splats and 500 points. You can use the lobby to train and practice maneuvers, getting a feel for weapons and how the specials work. Being sneaky helps a ton, attack from the side, never enter a fair fight, disrupting the enemy with subs and specials is invaluable. If you can't win a fair fight, fight like a total bastard, but the most important thing of all, is play the game however is fun for you.

The biggest thing that helps me improve is focusing on what I should have done with the information I had, sometimes there really isn't anyway you could've known, sometimes you've played yourself, but if you manage to play yourself so hard the entire team hits you with their supers, that's freeing up the map for your teammates really.

Again, focus on having fun, that's priority number one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve found that the Bloblobber fits my okay style really well and the kit is great for inking. I also seem to get a lot of splats with it! Turf War is fun again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's so hosed up that none of the best songs in splatoon ever play in multiplayer

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
How can they be the best songs, when there aren’t 6 official versions of them?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IronicDongz posted:

it's so hosed up that none of the best songs in splatoon ever play in multiplayer

The Splattack remix is right there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When do the items in the shops change? I bought some stuff last night after 9pm but the same stuff is in the store today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When do the items in the shops change? I bought some stuff last night after 9pm but the same stuff is in the store today.

Midnight GMT, so about 7pm EST.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well, playing the single player campaign is really helpful for getting basics of various weapons down and there's levels that teach the specifics of how some specials work. Salmon Run is also a good training mode, just do the tutorials and you should be good to go.

If you don't want to do that, focus on inking, not everyone is a murder machine but the person who did 1k+ inking often contributes more to a turf war than the guy with 11 splats and 500 points. You can use the lobby to train and practice maneuvers, getting a feel for weapons and how the specials work. Being sneaky helps a ton, attack from the side, never enter a fair fight, disrupting the enemy with subs and specials is invaluable. If you can't win a fair fight, fight like a total bastard, but the most important thing of all, is play the game however is fun for you.

The biggest thing that helps me improve is focusing on what I should have done with the information I had, sometimes there really isn't anyway you could've known, sometimes you've played yourself, but if you manage to play yourself so hard the entire team hits you with their supers, that's freeing up the map for your teammates really.

Also worth adding that map knowledge is worth a lot in this game. Know where to ink, the paths you can take to get to the other side and know your escape routes. I tend to run away from fights if I can help it, and knowing I have a path out is huge.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if you get caught and don't know where the enemy is, go backwards. Better you give up a bit of ground now than lose a bunch by getting splatted.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Items change at 8pm EST, 1am UK time, midnight UTC

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

And actually, I'm having fun!
Also, it's great to have the single player campaign for tutorial purposes, to mix it up!

Makes me think of Pokemon Unite - it's moba, but fun!
Not meaning this as a dis btw, I love Pokemon Unite.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

speaking of the soundtrack, where’d the music player go? you can’t just not have a music player in this game

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve found that the Bloblobber fits my okay style really well and the kit is great for inking. I also seem to get a lot of splats with it! Turf War is fun again.

I'm bloblobbing and switching to clash blasting when I want to get some serious splatting. It's amazing how good a distraction a sprinkler is.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm bloblobbing and switching to clash blasting when I want to get some serious splatting. It's amazing how good a distraction a sprinkler is.

Any tips for either or both of these? The clash blaster especially seems to suffer from the complete lack of range on the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is there a playlist that has all the canon names of tracks? I just :filez:'d an OST but nothing here is called Bing Bang even though I know it's gotta be in here, so it must've been made in haste or something.