Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Is it weird for a cat to just chill in the litter box without using it? Last night Merlin hopped in one of ours and hunkered down like he was incubating a clutch of eggs. No straining or anything, just hanging out like a loaf. After a few minutes (I kept an eye on him while cleaning up after dinner) he jumped out and went on his way. He has otherwise been eating, drinking, playing, and using the box normally. He does also really enjoy digging and I think he’s gone in there to root around just for fun before. I’ve seen this happen a couple of times since last spring and am more curious than concerned for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

Boy is he mad.

He doesn’t enjoy being boarded. He is eating, and his medication is going down his gullet, but he’s not open to pets. At least he seems to be comfortable enough and doesn’t have any diarrhea!

This motherfucker scared the poo poo out of me and the boarding employees today! He apparently hasn’t eaten for three days, enough to start worrying about hepatic lipidosis. I agreed to the kennel’s suggestion to have the animal hospital next door look him over.

Physical was unremarkable, no GI flareups, no fatigue or lethargy, no symptoms of hepatic lipidosis, still very alert, still very nervous and unsure. Vet’s diagnosis is Big Dumb Baby Syndrome :rolleye:

He’s been prescribed an anxiolytic an appetite stimulant and a tube of Churu :350: and I’ve been prescribed a fainting couch to recover from the goddamn heart attack he gave me.

Cats!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: confirmed, dude’s perfectly fine. He downed a whole kitty gogurt. :mad: but also :sweatdrop:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

gloom posted:

Is it weird for a cat to just chill in the litter box without using it? Last night Merlin hopped in one of ours and hunkered down like he was incubating a clutch of eggs. No straining or anything, just hanging out like a loaf. After a few minutes (I kept an eye on him while cleaning up after dinner) he jumped out and went on his way. He has otherwise been eating, drinking, playing, and using the box normally. He does also really enjoy digging and I think he’s gone in there to root around just for fun before. I’ve seen this happen a couple of times since last spring and am more curious than concerned for now.

my idiot kittens do this sometimes and they also play in it, googling told me it's normal and the vet just shrugged while saying the same thing

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ever since she was a kitten, my cat has loved lying down and enjoying a fresh bed of litter after I change it. Nice to know some of my labor is appreciated.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill loves to play in the litter robot and I hate it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably just cat being cat, but outdoor cats will roll around in dust and dirt. Allegedly it helps keep their fur healthy and they populate their gut with bacteria when they groom and swallow some of it.

Sitting in the litter box could be related to that. It's probably not, so maybe the lesson is just because we consider it dirty doesn't mean they do.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

maybe the lesson is just because we consider it dirty doesn't mean they do.

I'm always slightly offended when I pet my tuxedo and she immediately begins grooming herself. Like, bitch my hands are clean, you're the one who walks around in her own poopbox all the time :mad:

e: CatTax

vvv
I mean, except for the veneer of powdered cat piss that coats every surface of my home, otherwise it's spotless!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 13, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Takes No Damage posted:

my hands are clean

I've got bad news for you

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Was outside taking pictures of stuff I need to sell with the DSLR. Fyodor was supervising from his outdoor shelf.

He's so photogenic 😍

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm always slightly offended when I pet my tuxedo and she immediately begins grooming herself.
SAME. I'm not bad at grooming just because I use my hands instead of my tongue. :(

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

xzzy posted:

It's probably just cat being cat, but outdoor cats will roll around in dust and dirt. Allegedly it helps keep their fur healthy and they populate their gut with bacteria when they groom and swallow some of it.

Sitting in the litter box could be related to that. It's probably not, so maybe the lesson is just because we consider it dirty doesn't mean they do.

my cats are not outdoor cats but they get supervised yard time and if the weather is nice the first thing they'll both do is find a nice messy patch and roll around in it. I didn't know about the bacteria, that's pretty cool.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Later this year, I have to live in a house with a cat for about a month. I've always been allergic to this cat, nothing serious, but just the usual symptoms like sneezing, itchy eyes etc.

I've tried Benadryl in the past but only before I went to sleep since it would knock me out. I would always wake up the next day feeling "cloudy" so I stopped taking it.

In terms of non drowsy allergy medication, would you recommend Claritin (Loratadine), Clarinex (Desloratadine), Zyrtec (Cetirizine), or another brand for someone who experiences cat allergies?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Busy Bee posted:

Later this year, I have to live in a house with a cat for about a month. I've always been allergic to this cat, nothing serious, but just the usual symptoms like sneezing, itchy eyes etc.

I've tried Benadryl in the past but only before I went to sleep since it would knock me out. I would always wake up the next day feeling "cloudy" so I stopped taking it.

In terms of non drowsy allergy medication, would you recommend Claritin (Loratadine), Clarinex (Desloratadine), Zyrtec (Cetirizine), or another brand for someone who experiences cat allergies?
Loratidine seemed to work the best for my itchy eyes, until my cat allergies mysteriously disappeared a few years ago. The other factor was environmental. On long stays with my partner who had a cat before we lived together full time, she or I would dust / vacuum / sweep / mop more proactively and that made a big difference. Nothing too crazy, going from full cleaning twice a month to weekly or so. We alternated weeks.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

It's normal for a ~3 month old kitten to act like she's deeply suffering because she isn't currently being played with, right?
Meowing pitifully, dramatic flopping onto/around the person, etc.?
This is my sweet little tortie :3:

She had her first round of shots this past Sunday. She's the offspring of a barn cat that belongs to my in-laws, observed obsessively for signs of high sociability/food drive and low aggression (so she doesn't make it her life's mission to break into the room where my birds live - of course she'll kill them if she gets the chance, I just needed her to be a cat who won't seek out the chance).
Her name is Glowbones, after a gag from a Tim and Eric sketch.

She has a weird little scab that started on her ear in the past day or two - I'll schedule her for the vet, but it may take a few weeks. It doesn't appear to be mites (there are no black dots in her ears), but it does look like it's a parasite or something (like crusty skin on the ear tip). Is this an emergency vet situation, or is it going to be OK to wait a couple of weeks for her first real vet appointment?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Busy Bee posted:

Everyone's physiological response to loratidine or certirizine (or the derivatives thereof) is going to be a little bit different, so it's worth buying a small amount of whichever of them you can find cheaper to try first to see if it works. If it doesn't, swap to the other one. I will however recommend combining an antihistamine with a corticosteroid nasal spray like flucticasone. I find that the combo is better for relieving upper respiratory symptoms and itchy eyes personally. Just remember it will take about 3 days of use for the nasal spray to take full effect.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hug in a Can posted:

It's normal for a ~3 month old kitten to act like she's deeply suffering because she isn't currently being played with, right?

Depends on the cat, but torties are pretty notorious for being more... expressive? than other types.

https://www.meowingtons.com/blogs/lolcats/tortitude-is-real-and-other-fun-facts-about-tortoiseshell-cats posted:

If you are the servant – er, owner – of a multicolored kitty like a calico or tortoiseshell, you might already know what “tortitude” is. But for those who aren’t aware, there is a bit of a myth surrounding our multicolored feline friends. “Tortitude” is often affectionately applied to a cat with a tortoiseshell or calico coat that also happens to have a bit more, well, cattitude.

Torties are known for being a bit more challenging, strong-willed, and can be possessive of their human. Other words used to describe torties are “fiercely independent, feisty and unpredictable,” according to Ingrid King, author of the Conscious Cat.

If your tortie has a bit of ‘tude, don’t worry – you’re not crazy for thinking it! According to a study from veterinarians at the University of California, cats with calico and tortoiseshell coats tend to challenge their humans more often than other less flashy felines.

Torty army rise up :rock:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

M’dude is now boarded for a few days cuz he picked the worst possible time to need 2x daily medication :mad: I’m leaving for vacation until Thursdayish so he shall also be living out of a kitty hotel for a bit.

I hope he enjoys the break from me :ohdear: I already miss him!!! I’m gonna annoy the poo poo out of the staff with photo requests.

The day before I had to fly from Chicago to Philly for my mothers funeral I noticed my Porch Kitty (also a black cat, sadly passed now), was using the litter box A LOT had to leave him at the emergency vet for his PU surgery. came back to an over $8k bill. Fortunately I had a bond that I could cash the covered it but just barely. Now both of our current cats eat Purina One Urinary for their dry food, ingredients are crap but at least it supposed to help prevent it.

Cats know when it's the worst possible time to get sick. Cats are adorable dicks.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Hug in a Can posted:

Yes, this why general advice is to get two kittens, lol.

Hug in a Can posted:

She has a weird little scab that started on her ear in the past day or two - I'll schedule her for the vet, but it may take a few weeks. It doesn't appear to be mites (there are no black dots in her ears), but it does look like it's a parasite or something (like crusty skin on the ear tip). Is this an emergency vet situation, or is it going to be OK to wait a couple of weeks for her first real vet appointment?

I don't think you can see mites like that, when Katya had them the vet needed to swab and test for them to be sure. Wether it's mites or not, it's probably fine to wait if you keep a close eye on it in case it gets worse, when scheduling an appointment you can ask the vet about it? Also check to see if she's overly scratching because it could be self-inflicted.

I love Glowbones.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I love taking pics of my li’l dudes and having a record of them getting bigger.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Hug in a Can posted:

My cat is 2 y/o and makes big deep dramatic yodeling meows when he’s not getting played with. He’s also hissed at me once for not getting out of bed & playing with him.

He baby

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tortie postin. She's a teddy bear. A noisy, needy, co-dependent teddy bear

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tortie alerting me it's 5pm and it's time for me to take her outside for her evening chipmunk stalking

https://i.imgur.com/DTn4WZ3.mp4

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Busy Bee posted:

loratadine is weak, but all of those can make you feel drowsy as well. i recommend cetirizine

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I was quite ready to go to sleep after a long day only to discover that a cat had peed in my bed. It really is an experience that makes me want to rethink this whole cat ownership thing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Wanted to crosspost here, because I'm rescuing a cat from a building fire. There were 7 cats that are all now homeless and I'm trying to find them homes. Some are a little singed and I'm going to wait until they are healed before posting pictures to not scare any potential adoptions away, but here is a picture of the one I am taking home next Friday after the quarantine period ends. I think I have interest on 4/7, so hopefully I can get them all adopted.

One thing I wanted to ask is my vet says I should get him fixed at 6 months, but our current rescue was done at like 12 weeks. Online states dates all over the place anywhere from 8 weeks to 5-6 months, so now I'm unsure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends on the doctor. 6 months is traditional because it allows the cat to grow enough that all their bits are big enough to be easily operated on. Some will do it much earlier, either because they have better techniques/equipment or they're extra brave.

I don't have any advice either way, I guess waiting longer is better but if you know a competent doctor that will do it earlier there's probably no harm in it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
A lot of rescues and shelters do neutering/spaying once a kitten is at the 2lb mark to be sure they're fixed before sending them on to adopters who may not follow through with it or do it too late and now they've got a pregnant cat/a cat who sprays everywhere. I got both of mine off the street and waited until they were 6 months per my vet's advice but she said it's also fine to do it earlier.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Six months was traditional because that's when cats are big and easy to sedate and operate on without endangering them too much. Most (female) cats don't become sexually mature before six months, so there's not too much risk in waiting. But nowadays the operation is pretty safe on younger cats, so there's also nothing wrong with doing it ASAP, especially if the cat is male.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

my vet insists on waiting for 6 months, are my 2 guys going to pee on all my poo poo now

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

tortie alerting me it's 5pm and it's time for me to take her outside for her evening chipmunk stalking

https://i.imgur.com/DTn4WZ3.mp4

Haven't seen a longhair tort before. She looks badass but I don't envy you the shedding situation you must face.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What a beautiful fur pattern!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crocobile posted:

My cat is 2 y/o and makes big deep dramatic yodeling meows when he’s not getting played with. He’s also hissed at me once for not getting out of bed & playing with him.

He baby

Wanna rub that belly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Haven't seen a longhair tort before. She looks badass but I don't envy you the shedding situation you must face.

Somehow she's not that bad. She certainly sheds, but it's not like a second cat falls out of her every day. It's just dark hair buildup in her favorite sleeping spots.

She doesn't even get mats or hairballs.. maybe one barf a year when losing the winter coat but that's it. We won the cat lottery somehow.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

an iksar marauder posted:

loratadine is weak, but all of those can make you feel drowsy as well. i recommend cetirizine

Xyzal (Levocetirizine dihydrochloride 5 mg) is what a friend of mine takes. Just 1 before bed and it works for her. I don't think it's available in generic form in the US yet though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet update:

I think he missed me.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

The day before I had to fly from Chicago to Philly for my mothers funeral I noticed my Porch Kitty (also a black cat, sadly passed now), was using the litter box A LOT had to leave him at the emergency vet for his PU surgery. came back to an over $8k bill. Fortunately I had a bond that I could cash the covered it but just barely. Now both of our current cats eat Purina One Urinary for their dry food, ingredients are crap but at least it supposed to help prevent it.

Cats know when it's the worst possible time to get sick. Cats are adorable dicks.

YUUUUUP. They’re such cocks. But at least mine is safe.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

The last time I had kittens was back in 2007, and about a month ago our eldest cat passed away from a long decline with kidney disease at the age of 18. We decided to get a kitten, and picked out a shy little sweet ~10 week old kitten at the shelter and brought him home. We have another cat already who is around 16, and she accepted him readily but wants nothing to do with his kitten shenanigans. So, back to the shelter we go, and one kitten becomes two, and we bring home the second kitten on Tuesday after he's neutered.

Here's the little guy we adopted two weeks ago. My kindergartener named him Godzilla, and he's got massive paws as he's polydactyl on all four, and he's the sweetest thing. Currently trying to talk said kindergartener out of naming the second little tabby kitten King Kong when we bring him home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kerafyrm posted:

The last time I had kittens was back in 2007, and about a month ago our eldest cat passed away from a long decline with kidney disease at the age of 18. We decided to get a kitten, and picked out a shy little sweet ~10 week old kitten at the shelter and brought him home. We have another cat already who is around 16, and she accepted him readily but wants nothing to do with his kitten shenanigans. So, back to the shelter we go, and one kitten becomes two, and we bring home the second kitten on Tuesday after he's neutered.

Here's the little guy we adopted two weeks ago. My kindergartener named him Godzilla, and he's got massive paws as he's polydactyl on all four, and he's the sweetest thing. Currently trying to talk said kindergartener out of naming the second little tabby kitten King Kong when we bring him home.

Sorry to hear about your cat passing - I can't imagine. I love your new baby cat!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kerafyrm posted:

Welcome to the polydactyl club!! I have a nearly 16-year-ild polydactyl kitty that I adore, and I’ve always enjoyed showing off her massive mitts to people meeting her for the first time. How many toes does your guy have? Normal kitties have 18 toes (5 on the front ones and four on the rear ones. Jackie’s got 5 on her back paws and 7 on her front paws for a grand total of 24 toes, she’s got like big “thumbs” consisting of three toes apiece on her front paws.

One thing you really need to do as the owner of a polydactyl cat is keep a very close eye on those claws, and make sure to clip them assiduously and regularly. Jackie (and most polydactyls) tend to be prone to ingrown claws that basically grow straight into the paw-pads sometimes, and can result in lots of pain and potentially infection. So I would advice you to keep a close watch on where and how your cats claws grow, and make sure nothing bad happens there.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry to hear about your cat passing - I can't imagine. I love your new baby cat!

Thank you - it was unfortunately not unexpected, as he had been declining for some time. Still a really rough time as we've had him since he was a kitten.

kaworu posted:

Welcome to the polydactyl club!! I have a nearly 16-year-ild polydactyl kitty that I adore, and I’ve always enjoyed showing off her massive mitts to people meeting her for the first time. How many toes does your guy have? Normal kitties have 18 toes (5 on the front ones and four on the rear ones. Jackie’s got 5 on her back paws and 7 on her front paws for a grand total of 24 toes, she’s got like big “thumbs” consisting of three toes apiece on her front paws.

One thing you really need to do as the owner of a polydactyl cat is keep a very close eye on those claws, and make sure to clip them assiduously and regularly. Jackie (and most polydactyls) tend to be prone to ingrown claws that basically grow straight into the paw-pads sometimes, and can result in lots of pain and potentially infection. So I would advice you to keep a close watch on where and how your cats claws grow, and make sure nothing bad happens there.

Thank you for the advice!! I've been working with him every few days with snipping his claws for as long as he'll hold still as I kind of figured he'd need a lot of nail care with all the extra nails.

So far we haven't been able to get a definite count, counting toes on a squirmy kitten is an Exercise. But the best count we've gotten is 23! He's got extra toes on all four. And has started getting fluff between his toes and in his ears and a fluffy tail, so he'll probably be longer haired, so he'll be a fluffy cat with monster mitts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kerafyrm posted:

Polydactyl black cat buddiessssss :3: what a cutie!!!