Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

RareAcumen posted:

It does remind me that it's odd that we don't have any physical-focused sword characters like Eula.

Because white numbers are boooooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
If an Aranara dunks on Paimon then we are now best friends forever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Most of them do.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Zenostein posted:

"We've implemented morrowind's quest log, on top of your regular quest log. Also it's an item, and your only notice that it's updated is a little mark on the item description." I can't say I'm a fan of the book. It is a pretty good way to convince you to explore regions, but only very small parts of that region. I had to go back through those dungeons to find the last teleport, because it was "up" instead of "forward," where the quest points you. And even then I've still got a cave that isn't fully drained and a door blocking my way out of a cave with no apparent way to open it.

I also glossed over all their names, but that's because they're not terribly important. They're little plantmen you have to do chores for, in between paimon paimonning all over the drat place, with a periodic reminder that you're actually doing all this for a reason. Doesn't much matter who's who, just gotta find the guy in the area and do what he asks.

Even if it's a stealth mission, for some idiot reason.

Maybe if you mess with your color settings you can make one of the green ones look banana-y.

Aranyaka would take an inordinate amount of time without a guide.

Even with a walkthrough it still took quite a while.

Overall, it was quite enjoyable. But it was also very long.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't see why you'd need a guide when they are constantly pointing out where to go, but it did take a long time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Because white numbers are boooooring

I play Geo which, for all intents and purposes, is physical damage. It's not that boring.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Clarste posted:

I don't see why you'd need a guide when they are constantly pointing out where to go, but it did take a long time.

The post aranaka questline aranaka quests are vaguely hinted at in it, rather than listed as actual quests, until you stumble onto their activation npc or whatever. Like the stuff with the old dude, which I found by spotting his campfire. Or whatever it wants me to do with the flower garden, which now just says "someone would like to see this flower garden, here in the real world, not the dream. now that you've come here to the flower garden in the real world, and not in a dream.1"

Also aq. fav's still fine on anyone with a sword who wants atk, even if the passive's largely wasted. If I hadn't given it to jean, because it fits her better, it'd be nice for my idiot phys qiqi. Also, cursed katana's still funnier

1I looked it up, and the wiki just had the text from the book, which just gives a name. So for anyone wondering who wants a field of sweet flowers: Varsha is the kid down a hole full of withering, behind a wall hidden by a flower that won't appear until you've cleared out the withering. The hole's on the east side of a little plateu to the east of the NWmost teleport location (the one in the sand, not the one for the fungus bird). It has a little road going to it on the map, and it's behind a house with some eremites. Shouldn't be too hard to spot.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 15, 2022

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

FractalSandwich posted:

100%. I've been badly neglecting my talent levels (the game really encourages you to prioritize ascension) so I still haven't gotten to the point where I need weekly boss drops for any of them. What did make for a really bad experience was rolling Shinobu as my very first standard banner 4-star and having to scrounge together Naku Weed from Yoimiya's trial event and Spectral Husks from stardust before I could ascend her at all... and then being stuck at level 40/40 forever because I couldn't get to the Ruin Serpent. You don't even have the option to level your talents until A2!

At you least you didn't pull Kujoh Sara as your first 4*. :shepicide:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ugh, this new event has the issue that while you're in the menus for it, you can't access individual characters' menus, so no weapon/artifact switching unless you back all the way out.

Abyss has always had the same problem, but for some reason normal domains don't; you can press a button (square on PS5) while picking a character and have full access to their equipment.

Only this time, with this current event, once you've done the first wave, I didn't find any way to get out of the menus. So it seems you have to finish it once you've started and if you haven't played around with your melt team for a while and they have crap weapons or missing artifacts, it's gonna be a drag.

Yeah, there are trial characters available but it's such a weird way of doing things.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean abyss it's a feature, you're not allowed to change anything once you start a floor.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the Abyss it's probably so you don't have one set of weapons/artifacts that you trade back and forth between the teams, or something along those lines.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No I mean you can back out of the abyss between floors and change things, but you have to back out, you can't do it inside the abyss menus which is just inconvenient.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Stare-Out posted:

Ugh, this new event has the issue that while you're in the menus for it, you can't access individual characters' menus, so no weapon/artifact switching unless you back all the way out.

Are you talking about the "slomo camera to find weaknesses" event? Because even if you have those characters, you're still using the trial version. I just checked, and the trial Fischl has 2 TF/Glad, while mine has 2 TF/Bloodstain.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Space Opera posted:

Are you talking about the "slomo camera to find weaknesses" event? Because even if you have those characters, you're still using the trial version. I just checked, and the trial Fischl has 2 TF/Glad, while mine has 2 TF/Bloodstain.

No, I'm talking about the event that started today.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I keep wishing this game had some kind of like endless battle or horde mode or roguelike mode or something. A lot of the events I find the most fun are the ones that are just like "kill lots of enemies and also there's a gimmick" and I'd love some version of that kind of mode that is permanent. Even if I rarely invest enough into my characters to get super far or anything, it'd still be fun to mess around with.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wouldn’t mind an endurance mode that stopped you from reusing previous characters, like some events already had. Give max rewards after 2-3 teams, but the event just keeps going until you lose.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Does rolling a 5-star reset the 4-star pity timer? The in-game description makes it sound like it should, but I've never seen anyone say that explicitly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Took a long break from this game and just blew through the Archon quests for Inazuma + Sumeru in quick succession, and the difference was pretty stark. Inazuma was incredibly dumb while Sumeru actually managed to get me invested in a Genshin Impact storyline; a task I thought impossible. Hoping it's a sign of genuine improvement rather than just being a one-off.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 15, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Does rolling a 5-star reset the 4-star pity timer? The in-game description makes it sound like it should, but I've never seen anyone say that explicitly.

Afaik it does not

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wanna be cruising down the streets of Shanghai in my Beidoumobile drinking my Kamisatea, eating Eula Pizza and paying for it all with my Goatcard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgRFQJCHcPw

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FractalSandwich posted:

It doesn't, but it can disrupt your pity in one extremely unlikely and limited way. If you have a guaranteed 4-star next roll, you can still get a 5-star instead, but it won't cancel your pity, you'll get your 4-star the roll after. Just delays it one, so you have 11 pulls between 4-stars.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

FractalSandwich posted:

No, but it can delay your 4* pity: If you get a 5* at 4* pity 10, your 4* will show up on 11 instead.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, huh. I assumed a 5-star roll would replace your pity 4-star, at the very least.

I wrote a script that simulates the gacha to help my planning, so I guess I have a very minor bug to fix.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 15, 2022

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Another newbie question: I talked to what appeared to be just a random NPC in the little rest area before the mountain zone filled with lvl 30 stuff and he gave me a 4 star artifact.

Is that a common thing and is there a list somewhere showing who has what? Seems like most NPCs either don’t give anything or else they hand over a meat skewer or whatever.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Some NPCs give you a treat when you read their dialogue the first time. Usually garbage items but a few NPCs give something actually good. The only one you really don't want to miss is this dude who gives you a unique sword:
https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Chen_the_Sharp

I use it on Shinobu. Saves me a billet crafting a 2nd iron sting and looks cooler (when you ascend it.)

ninjoatse.cx posted:

grind clam. You’ve already raised all of her talents, taken her final ascension and given her her best 4 star dps weapon (outside hakuhin ring taser teams), give her the clam set to see her really pop off.
Building Kokomi cost me 1900 resin, how much resin do you think it will take to build a clam set for her? :monocle: Realistically it's probably like 10,000+.

I refined the proto amber to r3 for Kokomi. Turns out I don't need Kokomi for heals at all with the r3 proto amber. :lol: I might have to look at Heizou again, he could totally do the job of a full-time healer and still be support-battery for VV swirl resist shred.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ardlen posted:

No, but it can delay your 4* pity: If you get a 5* at 4* pity 10, your 4* will show up on 11 instead.

You can potentially even go 12 or 13 rolls between 4-stars if you get several 5-stars back to back

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't remember any Aranara's name, but I love them all. Especially the grumpy ones.

Arabalika my beloved

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Leathal posted:

Another newbie question: I talked to what appeared to be just a random NPC in the little rest area before the mountain zone filled with lvl 30 stuff and he gave me a 4 star artifact.

Is that a common thing and is there a list somewhere showing who has what? Seems like most NPCs either don’t give anything or else they hand over a meat skewer or whatever.

There's a nun in the Mondstadt church who gives you a 4* artifact. I thought she was the only one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I remember early on when there was that big involved Liyue puzzle culminating in a single 5* artifact, which was a bigger deal at the time because you had no other way to get 5* artifacts due to lower AR.

IMO they should have kept Aranara as Aran-nara in localization. Sounds better.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Sanctum posted:

Some NPCs give you a treat when you read their dialogue the first time. Usually garbage items but a few NPCs give something actually good. The only one you really don't want to miss is this dude who gives you a unique sword:
https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Chen_the_Sharp

I use it on Shinobu. Saves me a billet crafting a 2nd iron sting and looks cooler (when you ascend it.)

Building Kokomi cost me 1900 resin, how much resin do you think it will take to build a clam set for her? :monocle: Realistically it's probably like 10,000+.

I refined the proto amber to r3 for Kokomi. Turns out I don't need Kokomi for heals at all with the r3 proto amber. :lol: I might have to look at Heizou again, he could totally do the job of a full-time healer and still be support-battery for VV swirl resist shred.

Wait is it possible to not get that sword if you choose the wrong options? I get fish from that dude frequently and don't have that sword in my inventory.
e: ah it's 3 stars, so it might have gotten eaten up in auto-refining, RIP.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Leathal posted:

Not too common.

Also note that that mountain is meant for after Liyue and would be a big difficulty spike to go to before you get sent there. This didn't used to be communicated well, don't know if they fixed it.

Unrelated
HEADS UP TO THE LIKE 4 PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD WHO PLAY HONKAI

Next update after the current one has a new weapon for Herrscher Of Reason, that should catch her up to the meta. It gathers and makes drifting in circles on her motorcycle her new optimum rotation.

Herrscher Of Reason is technically farmable, they gave out a free copy a while back, she has a robot Stand that turns into a motorcycle, and is a character we've been following all story.

Herrscher Of Human: Ego who just came out is more expensive to get, does not have a robot Stand that turns into a motorcycle, and is a character who apparently needed two full updates telling you how great she is.

They are the same element, but Reason is a rarer type. Use this information as you will.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

IMO they should have kept Aranara as Aran-nara in localization. Sounds better.

I much prefer Al Haitham with a space but I guess it's just them running out of room for the name that way.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

Not too common.

Also note that that mountain is meant for after Liyue and would be a big difficulty spike to go to before you get sent there. This didn't used to be communicated well, don't know if they fixed it.

Unrelated
HEADS UP TO THE LIKE 4 PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD WHO PLAY HONKAI

Next update after the current one has a new weapon for Herrscher Of Reason, that should catch her up to the meta. It gathers and makes drifting in circles on her motorcycle her new optimum rotation.

Herrscher Of Reason is technically farmable, they gave out a free copy a while back, she has a robot Stand that turns into a motorcycle, and is a character we've been following all story.

Herrscher Of Human: Ego who just came out is more expensive to get, does not have a robot Stand that turns into a motorcycle, and is a character who apparently needed two full updates telling you how great she is.

They are the same element, but Reason is a rarer type. Use this information as you will.

There is no exception in this library.

Also it seems to have worked whatever they did with her cause the Honkai community for the character seems bonkers for her. Supposedly the estimated gross for Honkai on China IOS during her banner was in the 20 million USD area which is like Genshin class if true. Maybe its all the pink.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 15, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The one Aranara I remember the name of is Aranakin and that's because it makes the "I hate sand" joke.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

RareAcumen posted:

I much prefer Al Haitham with a space but I guess it's just them running out of room for the name that way.

The Spanish localization names him "Alhacén", which is the historical Spanish spelling for the RL scholar he's named for.

It's better than calling Childe "Nobile" tbh

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Maxwell Adams posted:

There's a nun in the Mondstadt church who gives you a 4* artifact. I thought she was the only one.

It was this guy:

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Stevens

I found a page on the wiki that lists most of the NPCs with rewards. Seems like 99% of them are just fluff so I guess I got lucky choosing randomly to talk to that guy or I’d never know about this.

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/NPC_Gifts

Leathal fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 15, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the one guy in liyue who gives you a pretty good weapon that is literally the only copy of it in the game and its a 3* so if you burn it, tough poo poo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Traveller posted:

The Spanish localization names him "Alhacén", which is the historical Spanish spelling for the RL scholar he's named for.

It's better than calling Childe "Nobile" tbh

I don't know any reference or what they're basing things on, I just think it looks better to read and that's all I have as my reasoning.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
This new event sure lets you rack up the points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know any reference or what they're basing things on, I just think it looks better to read and that's all I have as my reasoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham