Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh the plus side they are still hosting free downloads of tribes 1 and 2 for the real ogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't play multi-player games so that's all irrelevant to me

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I didn't even realize Global Agenda was them. I remember it, like a lot of hybrid games, having the worst possible qualities of both of its source genres.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It also had many ups and downs as they hosed around with the formula a lot of old Tribes fans loved.

Speaking of...

I think you mean

Tribes

Tribes

Tribes

Tribes Tribes Tribes

i think you mean SHAZBOT!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Twerk from Home posted:

Tribes: Ascend was really good but in a specific subgenre that peaked in the early 2000s and has been on life support for more than a decade.

I wouldn't call it flavor of the month, and its community was small, passionate, and old.

It was pretty popular around release and not just among old die-hard tribes fans.
I don't know how far the population had declined by he time they took servers offline though.

Probably a lot of the non-die-hard fans got scared off by how grindy the unlock system was.
I never played any other tribes games but I found the skiing mechanic really fun, but I got discouraged by how long it would take to unlock the weapons, grenades etc to start playing a new class.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Weavered posted:

There is also free DLC for the game too. Not sure if it’s normally free, or indeed that I will ever play it, but it’s there.

I went back and got the free DLC - thank you for mentioning it. I normally don't look.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Hi-Rez developed such a dismal record of being a trend-chasing flavor of the month developer who would abandon all support for their previous game that when they announced Paladins they had to go back and do a pity patch for the mostly-completely-abandoned Tribes Ascend to try to convince Smite players that they were interested in supporting their existing products and they wouldn't be abandoned for the new flavor of the month like Global Agenda and Tribes players were.

They made Smite because DotA2 came out and they thought that it was MOBA season, they made Paladins because Overwatch was a breakout hit, and they made Realm Royale because Fortnite got big.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://toucharcade.com/2017/01/05/hi-rez-reveals-smite-rivals-their-take-on-clash-royale/

https://toucharcade.com/2017/03/15/smite-rivals-development-on-hold/

No need to even click on those, the URLs themselves tell you enough.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Smite has goofy cross over promotions like fortnite, of course that thing is making some money otherwise they wouldn’t do that.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
:goofy:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hi-Rez is absolutely a company where the CEO goes "holy poo poo I love x we should do x" and everyone else goes "Uh, sure thing hoss"

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I remember really enjoying Global Agenda's PvE mode. It was neat.

I have nothing more to add

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/play-the-sims-4-for-free-beginning-october-18

the sims 4 base game is going to be free forever starting from october 18th

obviously its a hook to sell you the mountain of DLC, but free game is free game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/play-the-sims-4-for-free-beginning-october-18

obviously its a hook to sell you the mountain of DLC, but free game is free game
If you already own the game, you can get the latest DLC (Desert Luxe Kit) for free either through Origin/EA Desktop/Steam or the main menu in game. The offer ends on the 17th.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 14, 2022

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

repiv posted:

This has made me really want to play The Sims 2 again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Weavered posted:

This has made me really want to play The Sims 2 again.

I don't blame you. I have a foreign copy of Sims 1 'Complete', but it's hard to play vanilla. Sims 2 is a huge improvement. They are probably not doing this anymore, but they used to have a promotion where if owned any Sims 2 content on disc, base game, expansion or stuff pack, they would give you Sims 2 complete on Origin. I took advantage of that some years ago.

repiv posted:

Sadly, Sims 3 was even worse with the oceans of microtransaction store content. That said, Sims 3 is a better game and I see no reason to own 4 while 3 exists, much like the most recent SimShitty and SimCity 4.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
sim city peaked at 3000 anyway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tokin opposition posted:

sim city peaked at 3000 anyway

I loved this game. My mom made me lend it to someone and they never gave it back.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cojawfee posted:

I loved this game. My mom made me lend it to someone and they never gave it back.

Relive it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

B-buy??? :mods:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I had the French version of SimCity for the SNES as a lad, and I'm quite fond of 4. Never played 2000 or 3000.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
SimCity 2000 was my jam. Then came along Streets of SimCity and SimCopter!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I still have strong memories as a teenager of using the SimCity 2000 editor to create a tileset where the entire city was a (poorly-drawn, I was not good at pixel art) giant living alien organism.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Spirit of the North and The Captain are up on EGS

ARK and Gloomhaven next

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

whoa, Gloomhaven is a big one IMO. Extremely good game.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

Yeah, that's crazy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This Spirit of the North game seems cool; anybody played it? Worth checking out or shall I put it on the shelf with the others?*

*please excuse the implication of playing a free game. I like keeping the joke going as much as the next rear end in a top hat in this thread but we can't live our entire posting lives under the pretense of a thread-joke

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

timp posted:

This Spirit of the North game seems cool; anybody played it? Worth checking out or shall I put it on the shelf with the others?*

*please excuse the implication of playing a free game. I like keeping the joke going as much as the next rear end in a top hat in this thread but we can't live our entire posting lives under the pretense of a thread-joke

:mods:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

To its credit it's definitely the most wholesome persistent thread bit I've seen on the forums.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

bees x1000 posted:

Dang, that's one I bought on Steam a while ago, but I only put an hour into it so far.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

revtoiletduck posted:

Dang, that's one I bought on Steam a while ago, but I only put an hour into it so far.

Same here, it felt way too punishing and I didn't make much progress. Wish I had waited, alas.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Athaboros posted:

Same here, it felt way too punishing and I didn't make much progress. Wish I had waited, alas.

It’s very good. Big things to remember are:

- There are no tanks. Don’t try to facetank stuff. Either use initiative, invisibility, distance or whatever you can to avoid being hit in the first place.
- Your most important number at any point of the game is “how many cards I have burnt”. These are your timer, and burning a card early means you’ll lose a lot of future turns.

The game suffers from having a very though second mission. Once you grok the game it’s amazing, with interesting decisions on every turn.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Lib and let die posted:

To its credit it's definitely the most wholesome persistent thread bit I've seen on the forums.
Turn on your monitor.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FFT posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Buddy, I wish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

revtoiletduck posted:

i bought the physical game, it's only made it to a table one because my apartment was too small to comfortably play a board game that large

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Are they giving it away because it has tons of dlc you need?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Trolling Thunder posted:

Are they giving it away because it has tons of dlc you need?

Not really. There's two expansions, but they're just adaptations of the board game's expansions. Gloomhaven is just a very meaty game.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Played through The Captain, it's really nice actually! Like FTL reimagined as a branching outcome old school point-and-click.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

*edit* - gifted

is this the thread to post this?

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition

anyone want this free for PC through gog? I got it via prime. Usually they lock games to your account, but looks like I have a code you can redeem?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the thread to post this?

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition

anyone want this free for PC through gog? I got it via prime. Usually they lock games to your account, but looks like I have a code you can redeem?

I'll take it! PM me.

e: gotten! Thanks!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 19, 2022