Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

"HD Asagi" was the peak of NIS meta humour

I still laugh a bit when I think of Asagi having to submit the Dark Assembly Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMt71Z2w-s

Disgaea 7 has been announced and releases in Japan on January 23rd, 2023.

Instead of the stratospheric numbers of 6 characters can become Godzilla sized.

The generics cut from 6 are back. In fact at 45 this is the largest roster in a Disgaea game.

Weapon mastery is back and weapons can also be reincarnated to increase their power.

The setting here is basically Shogunate Japan.

edit: The main cast.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 23, 2022

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Huh, is this one of the faster turnarounds before another sequel? I still haven't touched 6 myself but it doesn't seem that old.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Huh, is this one of the faster turnarounds before another sequel? I still haven't touched 6 myself but it doesn't seem that old.

1-5 were all around a 2 year gap with an ultimate / mobile edition released the year between.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I hope the vtuber dlc for this one includes korone

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I wonder if we’ll get the PlayStation version in the west at the same time as the switch or if we’ll have to wait even longer for a version that won’t run like rear end.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I thought it seemed pretty soon too at first, but it is the same amount of time (two years) as between 2&3, 4&D2, and D2&5. The six year gap between 5&6 is probably shewing our perception.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is D7 keeping the insanely big numbers? I don't mind levels going high but stats being in the thousands off the bat sucks

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just based on the trailer, no. We saw some gameplay footage with relatively low damage numbers.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really hope they step back from the design of 6. I hate it so much and i loved the rest of the series. I'll remain hopeful, though I hope we get a PC release soon so I don't feel pressured to get it on the swtich or w/e.

Still wish we had sprites too, abloo bloo.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 23, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PC release has typically been at the 1 year point (since they started porting to PC) and included all DLC. Debating PS4 or wait on PC myself.

Really the one year release should be the Switch version complete with DLC (it's a mobile console) and PC released along with that to complete the PS2 / PSP tradition they started.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Happy to see another game so soon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maguoob posted:

I wonder if we’ll get the PlayStation version in the west at the same time as the switch or if we’ll have to wait even longer for a version that won’t run like rear end.

I really hope so, it would be a gigantic mistake to make this timed exclusive on switch again. I dont think anyone is going to touch the switch port after how bad D6 was on it. I wont even do that.

I just want D7 to go back to the level 9999 level cap, but I assume the new cap is here to stay.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

New information about the game

Dodeka MAX is limited to a total of four characters. Two of yours and two enemies. Becoming a giant lets you hit enemies anywhere on the map. The transformation has its own special abilities too.

Auto-batting will require a resource called Masoline that is earned through clearing stages. A stage you have already cleared through auto-battling will auto-complete on subsequent attempts. Again for Masoline.

Two new classes:

Maiko

A dancer type.

Thief (Male)

Male thief returns with a new design.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

OhFunny posted:

New information about the game

Dodeka MAX is limited to a total of four characters. Two of yours and two enemies. Becoming a giant lets you hit enemies anywhere on the map. The transformation has its own special abilities too.

Auto-batting will require a resource called Masoline that is earned through clearing stages. A stage you have already cleared through auto-battling will auto-complete on subsequent attempts. Again for Masoline.

Two new classes:

Maiko

A dancer type.

Thief (Male)

Male thief returns with a new design.

Looking at the MC Designs we have Samurai Himbo, Schoolcatgirl, Big Titty Oni GF, Shy Maiko, a Gundam, Smug Shogun, and Small Yuki-Onna.

I guess they could be worse.

Being able to reincarnate items sounds interesting though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

So it sounds like you might not be able to have the game auto-battle this time 24/7 while leaving it unattended? I like that giants can hit anywhere on the map, that should be a good strategy for the end game stuff that is really hard.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If it's not running at 10fps it should be okay without autobattle honestly most of my time was in reincarnation menus at max speed anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like the look.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't understand why they would want to limit autobattling.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well. One of the problems with 6 was that you had to auto battle for a LONG time to actually get anywhere. And it wasn't even really all that fast, it just prevented you from having to physically push buttons and do the grind.

In theory if you limit auto battles but make them instant clear that works off of some resource then it would let you save up that resource and then just instantly blast through the process of reincarnating/leveling a unit? Which would ultimately feel better.

You might even be able to balance it so that doing the same amount of leveling manually didn't take literally 72 hours like in D6.

Like if it took ~40 clears or w/e to fully level a unit, you could either save up 40 clears worth of your funbux, or just manually do it over a few hours like we did pre-d6. Which would be a good balance for auto-battling.

Ultimately unlimited auto-battling in d6 made everything take forever, counter intuitively.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 16, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not like we're paying them by the hour. They could make leveling faster AND keep autobattling. Or the new skip battles, whatever. There's no reason it needs to be X cumbersome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Maybe they plan to sell Masoline as a micro-transaction, despite how loving awful that'd be.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe they plan to sell Masoline as a micro-transaction, despite how loving awful that'd be.

I mean, given how much I hate D6 I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oof 7 announced and I haven't finished 6. Hell, I've barely touched 6. I don't think I care about the main character at all (though I like the zombie butler dog with tanuki nuts, he's amusing) and I can't really recall any of the additional characters being terribly compelling or interesting. The same thing happened to me with 3. I think I'm only 4 chapters deep though, I'll have to get back in and at least get my money's worth. Can't really judge a Disgaea game until you've dumped some hours into the post-story grind.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't really like games design that encourages me to turn my console on and leave it running on the table. I'd rather they focus on making the gameplay fun enough that I want to play it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Just FYI, sale on NIS stuff going on right now until Oct 31 on Steam. Disgaea 6 marked down by 30% to a still-kinda-high just under $50. Bunch of their other stuff is on sale too, though most of it still not as much as I'd like.

Notably, D5 is $10, which is pretty unambiguously the better game of the two, even though I personally like D6's automated farming stuff.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the heads up zzMisc.

I've been meaning to give the non-Disgaea srpgs from NIS a try. I hear they're pretty good.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for the heads up zzMisc.

I've been meaning to give the non-Disgaea srpgs from NIS a try. I hear they're pretty good.

NISA also localizes a bunch of stuff NIS doesn't make. Some pretty interesting non RPG titles in there. Birthdays the Beginning is certainly interesting (it's of the planet / evolution simulation genre) it's rather niche so maybe watch a video make sure it's for you but it's currently $4 so not a massive loss if it's not for you. Like it really is a simulation there's some speed up currency you get as a reward for doing some things but it's mostly about building a world and seeing what creatures you get to evolve.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 19, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Disgaea 7 details ‘Seven Weapons of Origin,’ characters, Netherworlds, more classes.

quote:

-Unleash the Power of Legendary Weapons in “Shinuchi Mode”

The wielder chosen by a Seven Weapons of Origin will accumulate a “Shinuchi Gauge,” which can be used to enter “Shinuchi Mode” and unleash the power of the sacred treasure.

The character who enters this mode will gain stat boost and be able to unleash unique special skills and techniques.

Utilize the legendary power passed down for generations in Hinomoto Netherworld Cluster to defeat the formidable foes that block your path forward!

So this sounds like the return of Revenge Mode and Overload Skills from Disgaea 5. The weapons are probably a gameplay mechanic and not actual equippable weapons because that would undercut the whole weapon reincarnation system they're also doing.

They revealed another story character, an antagonist, and showed off some locations. Along with two new monster classes.

Death Princess. Who powers up or comes back from the dead when her allies die.

Giant Eye. When attacking, it randomly changes the enemy’s defense status.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 29, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Giant Eye

Confusingly, Evil Eye is the three eyed titty cowgirl monster that was in 6

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Giant Eye

Confusingly, Evil Eye is the three eyed titty cowgirl monster that was in 6

Ah my mistake.

You'd think they would have made a cow pun for the cow monster.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I did like the Overload system... Maybe with these weapons it'll be easier to swap them around between characters too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Overloads were fun yeah

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Death Princess. Who powers up or comes back from the dead when her allies die.

I hope she does proper jiangshi hopping when she moves, rather than a generic walking or zombie-shuffle animation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the new characters look really cool, but Piichan is where it's at.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqboPfcIO6M

New six minute long trailer for Disgaea 7 going over characters, systems, and other things.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBTU8_MEiA

Samples of the OST. Takeshi Matsumoto is credited as the composer for Disgaea 7 instead of series mainstay Tenpei Sato.

Takeshi Matsumoto has composed for other Nippon Ichi games like Lapis x Labyrinth. I think the music for D7 sounds really good from the samples previewed.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New "Private Disgaea Academy" promo video confirms level cap in 7 will be 9999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzG1PsGQ_A

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

New "Private Disgaea Academy" promo video confirms level cap in 7 will be 9999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOzG1PsGQ_A

Thank goodness. I didn't have a beef with the idea of higher level caps but the way 6 handled it wasn't ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope they get rid of Rakshasa difficulty as well because it made Carnage largely pointless.