Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Hot D is understanding travel distances so only nobles who are close to kings landing are going to be seen at court, so we don't see anyone fron the north or reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's a story that's spanning years, it doesn't make sense to flesh out any characters more than needed if they're not going to be around for the main bits.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

At this point in the show is there supposed to be more to the two factions than Houses Hightower and Valerion? Neither are great houses since Val doesn't have hydes and knights and Hightower is under the Tyrells so I don't understand how this is supposed to touch off an epic war.

Not knowing a whole lot of the history of this era, but I imagine Hightower and Valerion were powerful houses in their time but eventually that power waned and other houses like the Tyrells came out on top. Kind of like how Winterfell exchanged hands between Starks and Boltons for years, I imagine not every house stays on top forever.

Even ones that have dragons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, Littlefinger is plotting to marry her to the Arryn heir so he can bump off Robert Arryn and end up with her married to the Lord of the Vale.
I "love" so much what they replaced that entire intricate, long-term plot with.

"Hey Sansa I'm gonna marry you off to Ramsay Bolton for no good reason."
"Okay, I'm totally on board with this, also for no good reason."

--later--

"How dare you marry me off to Ramsay Bolton!"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i'm expecting house valerion and hightower to get absolutely loving obliterated at some point because they are never brought up in the GOT era.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hightowers still run Old Town, but were vassels to the Tyrells so yea, the Dance of Dragons knocked them down a peg or two.

I feel like driftmark was mentioned in Asoiaf but all I can find is Davos sales past it.

I wish we would get seasons later on with the Blackfyre rebellions and such, that is probably were Targ power really starts to fall apart.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i have heard the 'blackfyre rebellion' thing mentioned as a big cool event a couple of times over the years, my brother is hoping to see that in this show at some point. he's like 'ooft that's gonna be ugly'. i dunno why.

i mean who knows. they're doing timeskips. they could come back with s4 and say guess what, whole new cast, it's now 70 years later. i don't know when the blackfyre rebellions happen, maybe it's sooner, but i think the timescale we're gonna deal with on this show is going to be different from game of thrones. they've set us up for that with years casually passing between episodes and a recast mid season 1.

i'm actually looking forward to the rhaenyra recast now mostly because i'm Team Carey, but more so because I'm really curious what kind of woman rhaenyra ends up being in 10-15 years.

Something the epic fantasy shows haven't really tried to do so far is portray an epic timescale and this feels like a show which is giving that a shot, so that's cool.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Blackfyre rebellion happens nearly a century later, so...

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
oh well.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

roomtone posted:

i have heard the 'blackfyre rebellion' thing mentioned as a big cool event a couple of times over the years, my brother is hoping to see that in this show at some point. he's like 'ooft that's gonna be ugly'. i dunno why.

i mean who knows. they're doing timeskips. they could come back with s4 and say guess what, whole new cast, it's now 70 years later. i don't know when the blackfyre rebellions happen, maybe it's sooner, but i think the timescale we're gonna deal with on this show is going to be different from game of thrones. they've set us up for that with years casually passing between episodes and a recast mid season 1.

i'm actually looking forward to the rhaenyra recast now mostly because i'm Team Carey, but more so because I'm really curious what kind of woman rhaenyra ends up being in 10-15 years.

Something the epic fantasy shows haven't really tried to do so far is portray an epic timescale and this feels like a show which is giving that a shot, so that's cool.

That's probably going to be another show actually.

It's several generations after

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Platystemon posted:

Mark Addy’s Robert Baratheon was pretty great even though he never made it out of the first season.

I love this performance - he nails the “let himself go” tired out, slovenly drunkard thing while still managing to covey these glimpses of the fact he was once strong, charismatic and hot headed enough to lead a successful rebellion.

There’s some moment when he’s, like, forcing Ned Stark to reminisce about smashing dudes with a hammer and he almost growls about how strong he used to be and you can tell in the way he says it both how much of a force of nature the character was supposed to have once been, but also that it’s one of the only memories that still makes him feel any happiness - and it’s about crushing a dude to death.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I love this performance - he nails the “let himself go” tired out, slovenly drunkard thing while still managing to covey these glimpses of the fact he was once strong, charismatic and hot headed enough to lead a successful rebellion.

There’s some moment when he’s, like, forcing Ned Stark to reminisce about smashing dudes with a hammer and he almost growls about how strong he used to be and you can tell in the way he says it both how much of a force of nature the character was supposed to have once been, but also that it’s one of the only memories that still makes him feel any happiness - and it’s about crushing a dude to death.

A War of the Usurper series with a prime Bobby B would be fun

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean recent years and current events have taught me hosed up cartoon monsters are real
Big oof on this. How correct it is, I mean. Turns out all of our understandable criticisms of "why is nobody doing anything about this" that we've used to skewer what was thought to be lazily-written fiction don't apply anymore. Nobody is doing anything about Ramsey because people don't actually stop other people in power from being monsters just because they're being monsters. That just isn't a thing that actually happens, and we need to stop expecting it to both in fiction and real life.

Now I'm sad. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Geoffry of House Eyppstynn

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i wouldn't get too depressed about it

roomtone fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 16, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

roomtone posted:

i'm expecting house valerion and hightower to get absolutely loving obliterated at some point because they are never brought up in the GOT era.

They are, House Velaryion is sworn to Stannis in the books

the show "kinda forgot" about them

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Typo posted:

They are, House Velaryion is sworn to Stannis in the books

Oooff.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Game of Thrones, but the whole cast is Tom Cruise would have been a true spectacle

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baron Porkface posted:

At this point in the show is there supposed to be more to the two factions than Houses Hightower and Valerion? Neither are great houses since Val doesn't have hydes and knights and Hightower is under the Tyrells so I don't understand how this is supposed to touch off an epic war.

They aren't great Houses but they have huge prestige and influence at the present moment.

House Hightower is the most powerful vassal of the Reach by several orders of magnitude, as they run the largest city in Westeros at this point which includes BOTH the seat of the religion and the seat of learning in the entire continent. Basically it's like holding the main trade port and the only university while also having the Pope in your pocket. In the books they're more or less always counted among the three wealthiest Houses. Hightower is not really under the Tyrells by any other measure than custom - the House that actually made them vassals was the House that preceded Tyrells, who were never Kings in their own right. Most Tyrell vassals are actually more powerful in land/levies/money than the Tyrells. Atm. the Queen is a Hightower.

House Velaryon is the oldest ally of Targaryens even before Aegon the Conqueror, are also Valyrian, have the biggest fleet (so many Velaryons have been Master of Ships e.g. Grand Admiral of the whole kingdom that it is seen as de facto hereditary position). They are the only house besides Targaryen that has dragons. At this point they are also THE richest house thanks to the Sea Snake's crazy voyages to Westeros equivalents of Constantinople and China, where he brought so much valuable poo poo back that even the Lannisters were like "holy gently caress". He also has huge trade contacts to the East which have raised not one but two new trade towns in his island. That is why he was making GBS threads his pants over the Stepstones. Atm. the heir to the Throne is slated to be married to a Velaryon.

They're arguably more powerful than any of the Great Houses as of now.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 16, 2022

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Geoffry of House Eyppstynn
And his paramour Ghislaine Greatestwell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surely it’s Maxwell Hill, bastard of the Westerlands.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

In the books, House Hightower maintains its importance in the Game of Thrones era too. Mace Tyrell's wife is a daughter of the current Lord Hightower. They just don't really do much of note in the various wars beyond loyally supporting House Tyrell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hightower already has everything it wants.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Oldtown is kinda like the NYC to kings landing's washington DC

quote:

House Velaryon is the oldest ally of Targaryens even before Aegon the Conqueror
Aegon's mother was a Velaryon in the books

so it's kinda amazing how far they had fallen by the events of GoT, when they were reduced to a minor house sworn to Dragonstone

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 16, 2022

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Browsing the book wiki, sounds like House Velaryon's reduced circumstances in Game of Thrones were a direct result of being Targaryen loyalists during Robert's Rebellion, which makes sense. Aerys II had a Velaryon lord as his Master of Ships so sounds like they were still prominent in position up until then.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The show also heavily cut down on the secondary houses that aren’t the main characters, so houses like the Manderlys, the Hightowers, and the Florents get mentions at most.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How many dragons are there at this point in HOTD and who has them? I kinda thought only the royal family did but then they showed the Velaryons have some too.

They're such a big power factor that it'd be helpful to have a clear idea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tender Bender posted:

How many dragons are there at this point in HOTD and who has them? I kinda thought only the royal family did but then they showed the Velaryons have some too.

They're such a big power factor that it'd be helpful to have a clear idea

I believe that there are, at this point in the timeline, 4 dragonriders.

We’ve seen them all, Daemon on Caraxes, Rhaenyra on Syrax, Rhaenys on Meleys, and Laenor on Seasmoke

We know of at least one riderless dragon, Vhagar, former mount of the conqueror Visenya.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 16, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s also a couple of riderless dragons chilling on dragonstone, like Aegon the conqueror’s dragon Balerion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ruddiger posted:

There’s also a couple of riderless dragons chilling on dragonstone, like Aegon the conqueror’s dragon Balerion

Balerion is dead. Viserys rode him for like a single year. There’s a scene with his skull in the first or second episode.

Something that everyone in universe would know: Dragonstone does have more dragons, but I forget if the show revealed them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are people forgetting that Gerold Hightower was one of the kingsguard at the Tower of Joy? That’s the only time they mention that house’s name in GoT.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Are people forgetting that Gerold Hightower was one of the kingsguard at the Tower of Joy? That’s the only time they mention that house’s name in GoT.

I try to forget as much of the Tower of Joy scene as I can

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There are 18 dragons alive at this point, including several wild dragons living on Dragonstone. This article lists them all but has spoilers for who their future riders will be, so beware.

EDIT: So people don't need to spoil themselves to see the names of the dragons

Syrax (Princess Rhaenyra)
Caraxes (Daemon)
Seasmoke (Laenor Velaryon)
Meleys - "The Red Queen" (Rhaenys Targaryen)
Tessarion - "The Blue Queen" (unridden)
Dreamfyre (unridden) (also likely the mother to Dany's three dragons)
Vhagar (unridden) (the last of the original three dragons that conquered the 6 kingdoms)
Sunfyre (unridden)
Vermithor (unridden)
Silverwing (unridden)
Sheepstealer, Cannibal, and Grey Ghost (wild dragons living on Dragonstone)

There are a few others but I'm not sure if they've been hatched yet at this point in the story.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 16, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If there’s one thing this show and the old one absolutely nailed it’s the sound of the dragons. Their screeching has always been real freaky to me, top notch sound effect work.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BigglesSWE posted:

If there’s one thing this show and the old one absolutely nailed it’s the sound of the dragons. Their screeching has always been real freaky to me, top notch sound effect work.

I do like the visual look of the dragons. Hard to explain but they seem more reptilian and primal than most depictions of dragons, a connection to an older world. I stopped watching GOT way before they got big but (especially with Caraxes) every time one shows up in this show everyone is making GBS threads their pants. Can't wait for Vhagar, who at this point is near as big as Balerion was.

I also like that they have the Dragonguard speaking Old Valyrian and maybe even being from Essos (Dragons having more affinity to those with even little Valyrian blood, like Brown Ben Plumm who was like 1/150th Targaryen).

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dragonpit was a folly and should never have been built.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It all works out in the end

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

The show also heavily cut down on the secondary houses that aren’t the main characters, so houses like the Manderlys, the Hightowers, and the Florents get mentions at most.
This was a really good idea, as was consolidating characters.

Yeah, they didn't do the best job of it, but there were far too many houses and people to remember even after they jettisoned and combined some.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Platystemon posted:

The Dragonpit was a folly and should never have been built.

It’s certainly no Cloaca Maxima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Wrong thread