Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Real protagonists speak with their swords

No no. They speak with their S Words. Like SOLDIER and SeeD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Planet's dyin', Cloud

Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse, eh? The entire Ironworks is here

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bentacos posted:

Squall is a sorceress confirmed.

Better choice than Rinoa.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gigglefeimer posted:

The continuation of the time loop depends on both sides not communicating very well with each other.
honestly, it's ff8, you could just pretend both sides had amnesia (the seeds from GF junctioning, Ultimecia from summoning Squall's mental image of Griever and turning herself into it) bang boom plot threads resolved

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's really kind of remarkable how much better FFIX looks than FFVII. Not a complaint, just an observation. The were really able to squeeze a lot out of that system. I wasn't aware Materia was basically exclusive to FFVII (and FFXIV)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

FrostyPox posted:

It's really kind of remarkable how much better FFIX looks than FFVII. Not a complaint, just an observation. The were really able to squeeze a lot out of that system. I wasn't aware Materia was basically exclusive to FFVII (and FFXIV)

Materia is just the jobs sliced into individual abilities, so if you think about it every job FF has had materia!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah IX released in 2000, basically just a year from X.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Square could really pump out games in the PS1 era. 7-10 alone is a span of four or five years, which is crazy considering how many other games they were pumping out. Same deal with the SNES. And drat, were they able to make the most of those systems by the end. The trifecta of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Trials of Mana are god drat gorgeous, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few late-stage games as well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lots of companies put out yearly games in that era. AAA development was just faster back then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah there was a period of time there when we were getting a new mainline FF every year. FFVIII in 1999, FFIX in 2000, FFX in 2001, and FFXI in 2002. It was a wild time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Announcing FF9, 10 and 11 all at once was pretty funny

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Don’t forget X-2 (not mainline but significant) in 2003, and XII was meant for 2004 before the delays. If those hadn’t happened, we probably would have gotten XIII for the PS2 in ‘06 or so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

The game mentions that sorceresses tend to fall to evilness as a result of loneliness and alienation, which would seem to invite a direct comparison with Squall's whole deal. It's a genuine miss opportunity that they don't get a chance to speak.

And even if you wanna say "well they aren't gonna talk to her when they plant to kill each other," they have a whole scene of Ultimecia appearing defeated before Squall and Edea. Could have given her at least a Kojima MGS villain moment. Ultimecia's personality and backstory is like two sentences scattered throughout the game. Giving her a death bed monologue couldn't have hurt.

There are a lot of FFVIII fans in here right now and that's fine. But I think it's fair to say that even for people who like the game, it has nothing to do with her. But villains have been a key part of FF since at least Kefka. People who say I love FFVI or I love FFVII are almost assuredly big fans of Kefka and Sephiroth. When I beat IX for the first time 20 years ago, Kuja was absolutely a key part of it being my favorite.

I'll always remember how Vayne says "who are you?" to Ashe and the party at the end of XII. It's rhetorical but it's also a fair question since we've literally never interacted with him before that point in the last hour of the game. But in spite of that, we are certainly not lacking for a great sense of Vayne's personality and backstory. So it can be done. Also we did in fact actually talk to him in our final meeting.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Ultimecia does give a death bed monologue. Squall/the player just doesn't let her finish it as he Renzozukens her to death lol.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

We are being chased by the Ottomans. Or perhaps the Seljuks.

I did not manage to hit any of them with the barrels, RIP

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Speaking of FFVIII, did the remaster (or the original) on PC ever fix the no analog stick issue?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Artelier posted:

Speaking of FFVIII, did the remaster (or the original) on PC ever fix the no analog stick issue?

I couldn't get the original to even work with my controller, had to use a keyboard the whole time

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
despite it's best efforts, ff12 continues to be good

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NikkolasKing posted:

And even if you wanna say "well they aren't gonna talk to her when they plant to kill each other," they have a whole scene of Ultimecia appearing defeated before Squall and Edea. Could have given her at least a Kojima MGS villain moment. Ultimecia's personality and backstory is like two sentences scattered throughout the game. Giving her a death bed monologue couldn't have hurt.

There are a lot of FFVIII fans in here right now and that's fine. But I think it's fair to say that even for people who like the game, it has nothing to do with her.

Disagree. The best part of FF8 is the setting, and Ultimecia and the implications of her character are a big part of that. She's a member of a prosecuted population whose trauma and isolation has lead her to lash out at the world in solipsistic violence. (Which we know because she tells us directly — no piecing together disparate information from different NPCs like with some other things in FF8.) She represents what Squall (or Rinoa) could become if deprived of their friends and support. She's a great part of the game, and IMO one of the better FF villains.

...which makes it that much worse that the final confrontation doesn't have her and the protagonists interrogate each other at all. It leads one of the stronger thematic continuities of the game to conclude with a full stop instead of an exclamation mark, and adds a sour note to what is otherwise a satisfying ending.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 16, 2022

Trash Goblin
Dec 19, 2020

Saying Ultimecia is the worst villain because she "comes out of nowhere" is kind of silly when (many game spoilers, don't read Frostypox) Necron, Zemus, Cloud of Darkness, and Yu Yevon all exist. If you want to get picky, no one ever "talks to Sephiroth", you only speak with Jenova.

Ultimecia has plenty of presence; any time Edea monologues or people tremble in fear of Adel, you get what she's all about.

NikkolasKing posted:

There are a lot of FFVIII fans in here right now and that's fine. But I think it's fair to say that even for people who like the game, it has nothing to do with her.

I won't assume for others, but one of the reasons I love FF8 is BECAUSE the sorceresses are such a cool concept: their aesthetic, their music, their absurd origin story. Ultimecia is just the best of the bunch, between the kickass castle and a great boss fight. But, as mentioned above, her whole story is that of a person ostracized by society for the circumstances of her birth. As a queer person, that resonates with me a lot stronger than "basically, the Joker".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Lots of companies put out yearly games in that era. AAA development was just faster back then.

i would trade every bit of fancy graphics we've developed since then to regain that pace of development. it would be healthier for literally every aspect of the industry

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jazerus posted:

i would trade every bit of fancy graphics we've developed since then to regain that pace of development. it would be healthier for literally every aspect of the industry

The slowing down of AAA goes well with the slow gaming pace of being a dad. I couldn't handle so many good games out at once.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Funny how all they seemed to need to make a game back in the day was to lock Nasir in a hotel room for a long weekend.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Baby as long as I hear those dulcet tones from Faye Wong it's all good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Trash Goblin posted:

Saying Ultimecia is the worst villain because she "comes out of nowhere" is kind of silly when (many game spoilers, don't read Frostypox) Necron, Zemus, Cloud of Darkness, and Yu Yevon all exist. If you want to get picky, no one ever "talks to Sephiroth", you only speak with Jenova.

Ultimecia has plenty of presence; any time Edea monologues or people tremble in fear of Adel, you get what she's all about.

I won't assume for others, but one of the reasons I love FF8 is BECAUSE the sorceresses are such a cool concept: their aesthetic, their music, their absurd origin story. Ultimecia is just the best of the bunch, between the kickass castle and a great boss fight. But, as mentioned above, her whole story is that of a person ostracized by society for the circumstances of her birth. As a queer person, that resonates with me a lot stronger than "basically, the Joker".

Who likes Zemus or the Cloud of Darkness? You're proving my point - people like Golbez, nobody likes Zemus. That's because Golbez was around all game and we had a lot of interactions with him. The fact he was being mind-controlled by a moon man did not make people like the moon man, they hated him even more for stealing Golbez's thunder.

And the problem with that interpretation of Ultimecia as victim is that the plot of FFVIII is she caused all of this herself. She went back in time and tried to kill everyone so people are like "Sorceresses are bad news." FFVIII has a standard self-fulfilling prophecy thing where she caused all of her problems herself in an attempt to stop the problems.

People are of course allowed to see anything in a story they wish. FFVIII is about child soldiers and the plight of persecuted Ultimecia? I don't think the game cares one bit about any of that but if you think it's valuable and it's what you got out of the game, that is great. You shouldn't be beholden to what the story says you should feel or think. But I also think it's important to recognize when our interpretations diverge from the creator's intent.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 16, 2022

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah it’s wild when you think of how many FF games came out in the 80-90s, then everything slows down massively after FFXIII.

PS2 era graphics are peak comfy for me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NikkolasKing posted:

And the problem with that interpretation of Ultimecia as victim is that the plot of FFVIII is she caused all of this herself. She went back in time and tried to kill everyone so people are like "Sorceresses are bad news." FFVIII has a standard self-fulfilling prophecy thing where she caused all of her problems herself in an attempt to stop the problems.

No, sorceresses using their magic to amass political power was already a well established concept well before the earliest time Ultimecia time traveled to. Adel ruled Esthar for years, Galbadia understood the score and welcomed one as a more suitable military leader than their president, and the game suggests that this was how Centra was ruled before they collapsed. While FF8 has some genuine time travel bullshit, Ultimecia did not invent the figure of the evil sorceress.

NikkolasKing posted:

People are of course allowed to see anything in a story they wish. FFVIII is about child soldiers and the plight of persecuted Ultimecia? I don't think the game cares one bit about any of that but if you think it's valuable and it's what you got out of the game, that is great.

The game is literally about child soldiers who are raised and trained to persecute sorceresses.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

No, sorceresses using their magic to amass political power was already a well established concept well before the earliest time Ultimecia time traveled to. Adel ruled Esthar for years, Galbadia understood the score and welcomed one as a more suitable military leader than their president, and the game suggests that this was how Centra was ruled before they collapsed. While FF8 has some genuine time travel bullshit, Ultimecia did not invent the figure of the evil sorceress.

The Centra stuff is pretty vague but as I recall, that's where the entire romantic idea of a Sorceress and her Knight comes from in the first place. Nobody feared Sorceresses back then, they were the Lady you protected.

quote:

The game is literally about child soldiers who are raised and trained to persecute sorceresses.

The Garden concept was established by Cid and Edea to save the world. Edea knew what was going to happen so she, one of those sorceresses, decided to take it upon herself to ensure our hero would become a hero and save the universe. You're making it sound so incredibly nefarious when the game does not see it that way at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl1CJnAYriQ

Balamb Garden is a school except awesomer because you get Nunchaku and can fight dinosaurs. The game 100% does not care about them being child soldiers. Cid and Edea are only ever presented as great people and none of our characters give two shits about being raised in Garden. They're even grateful, multiple times calling it their home.

Contrast with Galbadia Garden which actually does feel like a military institution.

The last we see of what would be two pretty despicable people if we go with your view is them attending a party, toasting us, and then Irvine bows to them, all while glorious, triumphant music plays.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Necron only comes out of nowhere if you as the player are totally unable to understand themes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Necron only comes out of nowhere if you as the player are totally unable to understand themes.

Those seem like two unrelated issues. Nobody said Necron is thematically inappropriate, just that his appearance is unexplained and random.

A story has to be cohesive and obey an internal logic, that is even more important than themes or ideas. Nobody knows what Necron is or where he came from, he's just here now and it's unsatisfying in the extreme, no matter how "thematic" it might be.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Man do I have some news for you about the next SoP dlc.

ImpAtom posted:

Literally the star of the next DLC in SoP

Well boy howdy, how about that?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In which I witness a rapid succession of goons tripping over their own genitals to be the first to :goonsay: HIS NAME WAS ALWAYS EXDEATH while failing to understand that no, I was not claiming that his name was originally supposed to be Exodus. Just that Exodus is the cooler romanization of "Ekusudesu."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no exdeath is cooler

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Exdeath has death right there in the name. It’s obviously cooler

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

you'd thinkk it's scarier to be ex life, than ex death

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

you'd thinkk it's scarier to be ex life, than ex death

No no, he EXCEEDS death. So he's even more death than death. Also a tree.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's fine, you have the right to wrong opinions, that's not my point. My point was people were apparently convinced that I was claiming something I was not.

Spermando posted:

Cursed take: Laguna should have been Ragna. Lagunarock sounds like some lame club for 50 year olds in Ibiza.

It would ruin the other pun with his name: When Rain(e) encounters the Lagoon(a), it makes a Squall.

NikkolasKing posted:

Kinda sucks I'll be stuck with Edge, though. The only version of IV I ever beat was Advance and I dumped Edge as soon as I could without even realizing he's supposed to be one of our final heroes.

Edge owns though. Throwing weapons, ninja magic, and dual-wielding. What's not to like?

I also think it's hilarious in retrospect that the dude never (according to TAY) gets the girl he wants and his name is Edge.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

In which I witness a rapid succession of goons tripping over their own genitals to be the first to :goonsay: HIS NAME WAS ALWAYS EXDEATH while failing to understand that no, I was not claiming that his name was originally supposed to be Exodus. Just that Exodus is the cooler romanization of "Ekusudesu."

Yeah because when I think cool, I think the book of the Bible that got a Charlton Heston movie

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Exdeath is a way better villain than Kefka and I’m being completely serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ImpAtom posted:

No no, he EXCEEDS death. So he's even more death than death. Also a tree.

Ex(tra)death