Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

kdrudy posted:

I did appreciate how this season wasn't filled with moments where everyone was about to get along and then some dumb random thing completely derails it. Even the one with Miguel and Sam near the end didn't end up being a huge deal.

Same. Ain't no time for that poo poo when you have karate Palpatine to deal with. They finally got past the "will they won't they" with Johnny and Daniel at the end of the last season and it felt right that they didn't spin that out further. Equally, this time, there were a couple of moments where they hinted that Robbie and Miguel's coming together might be short lived, and I was glad they didn't go down that road. And the same, as you say, with Sam and Miguel. That would have been ridiculous, and I thought Miguel was great the way he gently implied that to her, while also showing the same compassion and love for her that led him to so readily accept them breaking up. Dude has grown up a lot since the first season.

Also, when it was mentioned that insurance were investigating the fire at Barne's shop, I thought it was going to transpire that Silver planted some kind of fake evidence linking it to Daniel, leading to Barnes ultimately joining him. Though Barnes did initially blame Daniel, hence the limo stunt, it was overcome quite easily and led to the cool (though very dumb on their part) decision to team up and go and rough Silver up. Albeit Barnes wasn't much use in the fight until the very end. Wonder why that was - maybe the actor wasn't in the best condition/level of training to do a full on fight scene?

Anyway, the season owned. Griffith was ace. The scene at the end of Ep 5 where Johnny, Robbie, Miguel, Hawk et al were all outside to support Daniel brought my dumb stoned arse to tears. I had heard this was the last season, but clearly they must do another one to cover the Sekai Takai. With Silver having gone down, though, it will be interesting to see what happens with Cobra Kai. I can't imagine an on-the-run Kreese would be able to take the reins again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Smythe posted:

yes op water is wet thank you

:(

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

soz bud i was schwasted and salty that i dont live in karate kid world

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if i was younger and in karate kid world i'd probably be the skinny twerp kid but at least he gets to hang out with the babes and hunks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant handle the sorrow of never being able to live in karate kid world. its too much to endure. im going to cry

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mcmagic posted:

I didn't love the way the storyline with Miguel's dad, the most soap opera actor looking guy in Mexico, ended. As others have said in here, the stakes on this show are just hilariously low.

That one petered out a little bit unexpectedly, but looking back it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. This isn't the kind of show that's gonna spend more than an episode or two with something as heavy as the Mexican criminal underworld, it wants to go back to California and have cool fights with no real consequences. And fine, Miguel wanted to meet his dad, and he met him, and he realizes his mom was right to have left him. I'm actually kinda glad they didn't do the heavy-handed drama where Miguel refuses to accept that his dad is a bad guy and drags it out for more than a single episode.

The storyline I'm kinda miffed about, though, is the Mike Barnes one. We get an episode where Daniel meets Mike and is like "hey, watch out for Terry Silver" and then the end-of-episode cliffhanger is Mike coming back to find his furniture store ablaze... and then nothing until like 6 episodes later when he shows up somehow believing that Daniel set his store on fire? Felt like there was a whole sideplot there that we somehow missed, you'd think he would have called Daniel at some point to say "hey, might be Terry Silver just set my store on fire."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Weird season that was still way better than the kid karate show should ever be. Wasn't a huge fan of the extra senseis, they were a pretty big letdown.

I know it's based on his inability to let anything go but when Daniel fell for Silver's trap at the auction he was the dumbest man on the planet.

I'm a little surprised at the end when everyone immediately stops to watch the video, then the kids toss their cobra kai stuff immediately after the fight. I liked that Kenny at least said he wasn't ready to talk about it yet, but I don't see a dickhead like Kyler changing. Or the heel turn from Mitch being easily forgiven

Not sure where they're going for next season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They also did Sensei Odell dirty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phenotype posted:

That one petered out a little bit unexpectedly, but looking back it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. This isn't the kind of show that's gonna spend more than an episode or two with something as heavy as the Mexican criminal underworld, it wants to go back to California and have cool fights with no real consequences. And fine, Miguel wanted to meet his dad, and he met him, and he realizes his mom was right to have left him. I'm actually kinda glad they didn't do the heavy-handed drama where Miguel refuses to accept that his dad is a bad guy and drags it out for more than a single episode.

The storyline I'm kinda miffed about, though, is the Mike Barnes one.

Not gonna lie. I honestly expected Barnes to be Miguel's long last dad

ilmucche posted:

I'm a little surprised at the end when everyone immediately stops to watch the video, then the kids toss their cobra kai stuff immediately after the fight. I liked that Kenny at least said he wasn't ready to talk about it yet, but I don't see a dickhead like Kyler changing. Or the heel turn from Mitch being easily forgiven

Same. That was a little abrupt and in this day and age I'd expect a bit of "fake news", "deep fake", "selectively edited" along with a not insubstantial CObra Kai kids who would be INTO IT - or at least a little unsure what to make of it figuring maybe he had his reasons or something.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. That was a little abrupt and in this day and age I'd expect a bit of "fake news", "deep fake", "selectively edited" along with a not insubstantial CObra Kai kids who would be INTO IT - or at least a little unsure what to make of it figuring maybe he had his reasons or something.

Kids these days, a screen comes on and their attention snaps straight to it and they believe everything they see.

:corsair:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just finished it and drat what a season. I hope there's more. It's cheesy and stupid at times but they hit all the right bears when they needed to.

I'm glad that Chosen survived. He became one of my favorites and they definitely set it up that it could've gone that way.

There's still a lot of loose ends, including the world tourney to address, though not sure if it'd still be called Cobra Kai considering what happened.

Penis Breath probably has to move to another town though, dude's gotta be a pariah after backstabbing his friends pretty badly.

The only issue with a potential season 6 is lacking a big baddie to drive the story. It wouldn't feel organic if one of the international schools became a dramatic threat, and those Cobra Kai senseis weren't that compelling aside from being badass goons.

Maybe a full season wouldn't be needed, though I don't know if a movie would be a good way to conclude things. Main things left would be seeing Johnny and Daniel complete their character arcs, Chozen getting with Kumiko, and the kids fully taking the Miyagi/Eagle Fang karate reins/mending all the tensions in the valley with the philosophical lessons and balance. Carrying on the legacy. It's not 100% vital, but still, it's an epilogue that I think most of us would want to see.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 15, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Michael Ironside can be the big bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So we need next season to be filming when Righteous Gemstones and Alaska Diary aren't filming to have a chance at the Next Karate Kid characters showing up.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I love this series. It's dumb at times but it's also kind of finely crafted. Just a joy to watch. Frying up an entire fist of ham.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

A new Hillary Swank quote "'I was told that I’m supposed to only keep it to Alaska Daily, so I guess that question is for another time,' she told Deadline with a laugh."
https://deadline.com/2022/09/hilary-swank-cobra-kai-appearance-alaska-daily-tca-1235118934/

I think she's going to be in the next season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

The only issue with a potential season 6 is lacking a big baddie to drive the story. It wouldn't feel organic if one of the international schools became a dramatic threat, and those Cobra Kai senseis weren't that compelling aside from being badass goons.

Well Silver's right hand woman Kim couldn't go 2 scenes without mentioning their deal for him to pave the way for the return of her father's karate, so I assume that was peppering in buildup for that to be a plot point in the next season. If I had to guess, the fact that Cobra Kai is still technically in the Sakai Taikai and is still probably the best way to showcase her family's karate, Kim will end up working with Kreese (although maybe in secret since he is on the run) to lend some legitimacy to Cobra Kai being in the tournament. From there you can introduce other members of her family or whatever to round out the lineup of evil adults, maybe Silver is still in the mix pulling strings from prison like Kreese did this past season, etc.

The bigger issue IMO is the lack of kids for the Cobra Kai side: you can always introduce new characters but you still probably want there to be some kind of established relationships. I feel like Kyler could still be a Cobra Kai, although they would have to do a 180 on his lazy characterization from this season; maybe getting embarrassed by Dimitri kicks him into high gear, or else Kim just offers financial incentive to take it seriously. Kenny also could go either way, he still has a lot of anger and while he was disillusioned with Silver's cheating he may still feel he earned his spot in the Sakai Taikai and resents always being a follower. There's also some of the kids who dropped off, notably the gymnast Sam fought in last season's semi-finals and some of the other athletes that got added in season 3 and 4; maybe they could be brought back by Kreese since he's the one who originally brought them in. The way Kim's family's karate is talked about implied it fell out of favor, which means it's potentially even more brutal than CK's "strike first, no mercy" variety, so maybe training with it turns all the previous B-list teens into seriously dangerous opponents.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it’s a nice twist at the ending the season without a huge new plot line. Johnny throwing his phone in the ocean, Miguel leaving to find his father, Kreese being back, all big finales. This one provides a definitive win, and even had a fake out of it being a season about a tournament!

I don’t see Terry Silver being Trump at all. Self-made physically fit man who cares about other cultures and fought in a war?

I do like that he’s enough of a scumbag that he took over dojo during Shabbat. Normally on the serious when I say “this guy is an unstoppable menace“ they’re over selling it but this guy on another show would be throwing meteors at earth.

Now I’m imagining Cobra Kai versus the belters.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

they hit all the right bears

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Well Silver's right hand woman Kim couldn't go 2 scenes without mentioning their deal for him to pave the way for the return of her father's karate, so I assume that was peppering in buildup for that to be a plot point in the next season. If I had to guess, the fact that Cobra Kai is still technically in the Sakai Taikai and is still probably the best way to showcase her family's karate, Kim will end up working with Kreese (although maybe in secret since he is on the run) to lend some legitimacy to Cobra Kai being in the tournament. From there you can introduce other members of her family or whatever to round out the lineup of evil adults, maybe Silver is still in the mix pulling strings from prison like Kreese did this past season, etc.

The bigger issue IMO is the lack of kids for the Cobra Kai side: you can always introduce new characters but you still probably want there to be some kind of established relationships. I feel like Kyler could still be a Cobra Kai, although they would have to do a 180 on his lazy characterization from this season; maybe getting embarrassed by Dimitri kicks him into high gear, or else Kim just offers financial incentive to take it seriously. Kenny also could go either way, he still has a lot of anger and while he was disillusioned with Silver's cheating he may still feel he earned his spot in the Sakai Taikai and resents always being a follower. There's also some of the kids who dropped off, notably the gymnast Sam fought in last season's semi-finals and some of the other athletes that got added in season 3 and 4; maybe they could be brought back by Kreese since he's the one who originally brought them in. The way Kim's family's karate is talked about implied it fell out of favor, which means it's potentially even more brutal than CK's "strike first, no mercy" variety, so maybe training with it turns all the previous B-list teens into seriously dangerous opponents.

I also think that Kreese and Kim Da-Eun will team up for the final arc because neither seem like the type to just let things go, they're in too deep with their obsessions and they need to pay off that flashback scene of the two of them bonding while Terry was being indoctrinated by Kim Sun-Yung. They kind of need to go down together, seeing as how they're the last major threats on the board without bringing in any new pointless big bads for what is probably the final arc or season.

This story has always been, at its core, about reclaiming the legacy of Cobra Kai from John Kreese and the horrible things Kreese did to poison it. This season however makes it pretty clear that the legacy of Cobra Kai had its roots in pure evil to begin with, so the only way to reclaim it now is in fact to just loving bury it in cement, alongside Kreese if need be. Terry Silver was always just the monster that Kreese unleashed in his desperation when his back was against the wall, twice now at this point, but the real villain of the story is always going to be John Kreese, and the story's not over until Kreese is dealt with definitively. What exactly that looks like is anyone's guess at this point, but Kreese at the very least needs to admit defeat to Johnny and Daniel and then go the gently caress away forever.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 15, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's with the place Tory is working at in the fourth season? It's like if Dan Schneider started a Chuck E. Cheese.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I want them to go to Okinawa next season. That's the one thing they haven't really done from the movies. I guess Daniel went to Japan in one of the early seasons but it was just a business thing and he didn't take the kids.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I really hope that Kim isn't a central figure moving forward because my god that actor was loving terrible.

By and large, the performances on this show are pretty good (and in Zabka's case excellent) and do a lot of heavy lifting in selling an awful lot over the top corny, cheesy, karate soap opera poo poo but whoo boy I just could not take whoever that lady was supposed to be in any scene she was in. I have a hard on for bad acting and she committed the cardinal sin (for me) of taking me out of scene(s) over and over again, which is saying a lot in a show this ridiculous and silly.

Also, if anyone likes funny bad movie podcasts, the We Hate Movies guys have a few episodes covering the films that I've been revisiting and think are worth checking out

https://www.whmpodcast.com/whmprime

These dudes are great.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 16, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The funniest thing about Kim Da Eun is her terrible accent, which sounds like her trying to ham up a generic evil Asian accent through her Aussie one. She doesn't sound remotely like someone raised in S. Korea. It didn't detract too much from the season overall, but she's got like zero compelling connection to the remaining characters besides Tory and Devon.

She could be made somewhat interesting with Kreese, but there's not much to look forward to wrt to them. I kinda wish they held off on Terry Silver's downfall

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 16, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
shes a lucy liu style ice queen and i support her. hell consider this my enlistment into her simp army

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The universal praise for her acting on twitter makes me feel like I'm being gaslit, because yeah, she was Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of cardboard cutout villain and every scene she was in was actively worse for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
She wasn't that bad, she just didn't stand out and she doesn't chew scenery the way everyone, up to and including Billy Zabka and Ralph Macchio are doing all season.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The only English she speaks is evil cliché phrases.
If they give her any character development I’m sure she will be more interesting, although Tori accusing her of child abuse as a visiting foreign national could easily let them write her off the show.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I do wish Evil Eyepatch Sensei had had literally any characterisation or even dialogue, Odell and KPop Sensei were kind of cool

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just read that Crispin Glover was up for the part of Johnny and now I'm trying to imagine that movie

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was kind of funny they had Sting playing DND with random people and introducing 'Metallicus' as one of the bosses at the end... Some show writer collaboration with Stranger Things...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://gizmodo.com/new-karate-kid-movie-sony-cobra-kai-40-anniversary-1849547605
There may be a new movie coming out set in the Miyagiverse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I saw an interview that Machio and Zabka gave to, I think it was like Entertainment Tonight I want to say, about a week ago and they were asked about what was next for Cobra Kai and they both kind of chuckled "a movie". Probably unrelated, but they had to have known something, right?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darko posted:

Michael Ironside and Walton Goggins as the final villains of course.

I hate that they don't want to crossover with Jackie Chan and Jaden. Having a World Warrior tournament with Jaden as the final boss with Jackie as his coach would be the best ending.
Personally, I'm disappointed we've not revisited Miyagi's only other student from the films. The Next Karate Kid wasn't great, but Julie Pierce at least warrants a mention if you can't get Hilary Swank. Speaking of:

Hollismason posted:

Yeah he's so ridiculously over the top. It's too bad they can't get Hillary Swank to make a appearance.
Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about them even trying.

On another topic, there's a great throughline of this season about Johnny learning to be a supporting character in his own story. He has to grow up to be a dad, instantly does the beginnings of the work, and he sort of hands the franchise back to Daniel this year for a season. This was way more The Karate Kid sequel show than it was a show about Johnny and Cobra Kai this year, and it's great that they gave Daniel his own season with Silver as his villain before handing the show back to Johnny for the wrap-up with Kreese's return as main antagonist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress Daniel

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He was pretty racist this year, which was yikes, and down to the writers more than the character, but aside from that, I still root for the guy because when Johnny points out that he's losing his way after his family left, (and that's from Johnny of all people) he instantly remembers all those movies he starred in where the same thing happened and does a hard left, needing his family at that point to drive home that he needs to keep going.

He's the same hotheaded kid he always was, but that's only his knee-jerk. He was the bullied kid who became the bully to Johnny because he couldn't fathom being anything but the victim, so him actually going "oh, gently caress. Right. I'm doing that thing again" is a lot more character growth than he's getting credit for.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh I read that scene differently than everyone else in here apparently. I thought he meant that Terry's story about learning from that guy was a bunch of bullshit, not the guy's name.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought it could be either or both, but the only important thing was that it seemed like he was full of poo poo in KK3, so the show had to hit the beat of "no, that's a real dude."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Personally, I'm disappointed we've not revisited Miyagi's only other student from the films. The Next Karate Kid wasn't great, but Julie Pierce at least warrants a mention if you can't get Hilary Swank. Speaking of:

Has this been confirmed? I haven't heard anything about them even trying.

On another topic, there's a great throughline of this season about Johnny learning to be a supporting character in his own story. He has to grow up to be a dad, instantly does the beginnings of the work, and he sort of hands the franchise back to Daniel this year for a season. This was way more The Karate Kid sequel show than it was a show about Johnny and Cobra Kai this year, and it's great that they gave Daniel his own season with Silver as his villain before handing the show back to Johnny for the wrap-up with Kreese's return as main antagonist.

They are very open to getting her in and she's being coy about it. It just seems to be a scheduling thing.

Thats why we definitely need Ironside and Goggins, stat. If you want to beat John and Silva, those are the two to ham it up even more.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Was kind of funny they had Sting playing DND with random people and introducing 'Metallicus' as one of the bosses at the end... Some show writer collaboration with Stranger Things...

Wait...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...what?

This isn't too spoilery, but the final episode of Stranger Things 4 included one of the main characters of the season (and dungeon master) playing Master of Puppets at the end to draw the enemies away from the rest of the kids doing their thing. I can't imagine it wasn't an intentional reference, although probably they filmed the scene after ST4 released.