Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 is extremely good

Shadow Hearts 2 is the best rpg on the ps2. Don't @ me, you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Stux posted:

in 10 years time the forums will be a different place. the brain geniuses who play a game where 90% of humans in a city are turning into literal npcs and disappearing and are unable to glean any significant meaning from how that could possibly reflect on the remaining humans within the story have taken over, and a new wave of retroactive evaluation has declared all smt games not a part of the smt4/persona/tms team/ds spin off alliance "boring" and "lacking real characterisation and narrative". in response atlus reveals their new title, smt 6. the core feature appears to be a regular human character joined to the mcs hip who talks like the clip of alloy from hzd 2, endlessly narrating everything on screen. anytime a moment or theme is hinted at the npc makes sure to speak aloud the suggestions, and if there is any ambiguity they explicitly lay out the creators intent to ensure players are not required to think or interpret anything that happens. every character is drawn in the most excrutiatingly generic anime style but with neon hair, and they talk constantly in memes and wheadon level puns. the thread erupts in a rapturous level of praise while in a dark alley i kneel on the floor, crying, as i embrace the cold barrel of a .45 with my lips after being permabanned for posting "themes are good, subtlety and nuance are virtues. anyone who disagrees should be run over with a steamroller" for the 50th time in a row.

Looks like you got stux'd pal

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stux posted:

in 10 years time the forums will be a different place. the brain geniuses who play a game where 90% of humans in a city are turning into literal npcs and disappearing and are unable to glean any significant meaning from how that could possibly reflect on the remaining humans within the story have taken over, and a new wave of retroactive evaluation has declared all smt games not a part of the smt4/persona/tms team/ds spin off alliance "boring" and "lacking real characterisation and narrative". in response atlus reveals their new title, smt 6. the core feature appears to be a regular human character joined to the mcs hip who talks like the clip of alloy from hzd 2, endlessly narrating everything on screen. anytime a moment or theme is hinted at the npc makes sure to speak aloud the suggestions, and if there is any ambiguity they explicitly lay out the creators intent to ensure players are not required to think or interpret anything that happens. every character is drawn in the most excrutiatingly generic anime style but with neon hair, and they talk constantly in memes and wheadon level puns. the thread erupts in a rapturous level of praise while in a dark alley i kneel on the floor, crying, as i embrace the cold barrel of a .45 with my lips after being permabanned for posting "themes are good, subtlety and nuance are virtues. anyone who disagrees should be run over with a steamroller" for the 50th time in a row.

Amazing child like brain and wonder to play SMT V and think it is subtle or has nuance. God's blessed, stux.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
When exactly did IV become "universally beloved by hardcore fans" or whatever, I've never heard that before. I was pretty disappointed by IV (although it has a few good parts) and haven't really come around to think otherwise. I preferred V as more of a return to form.

Also seeing all the new posts I thought maybe Atlus announced some cool new thing but no it's just Stux

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 16, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, in all my years of making GBS threads on IV, I've met maybe a handful of people who agreed while the vast majority disagreed in the strongest possible terms. My impression is definitely that it was very popular with the fandom.

This is all post-IVA though, maybe it was different before then. Usually praise for IV comes paired with a strong dislike for IVA.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, in all my years of making GBS threads on IV, I've met maybe a handful of people who agreed while the vast majority disagreed in the strongest possible terms. My impression is definitely that it was very popular with the fandom.

I think you might just be kind of dumb and very very bad at making your point.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

IV is meh but it's a lot more memorable then V. Apocalypse loses a lot of the tone but it plays way better then IV and is a fuckload more memorable and better structured then V. It also has actually dope as gently caress final battles instead of the jokes in V

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apocalypse had the sense to end with a teleport maze and it left a great last impression

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

KingSlime posted:

Stux is just ahead of his time/misunderstood like SMTV or Jesus of Nazareth

Hey wait, when are they going to let us fuse Jesus what the hell, we already got the Virgin Mary

They'll never bring back Agony.

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Agony

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

IV is meh but it's a lot more memorable then V. Apocalypse loses a lot of the tone but it plays way better then IV and is a fuckload more memorable and better structured then V. It also has actually dope as gently caress final battles instead of the jokes in V

IVA is fortunate it has the best final boss eve to make up for the worst dungeon ever. If YHVH wasn't so perfect, I think I'd recommend everyone just turn off the game after the Cosmic Egg. That was a great dungeon, a perfect climax with Krishna, that's all you need. No need to suffer through YHVH's Universe. But since YHVH is the best, we do indeed have to suffer through it.

The only good thing I can say about YHVH's Universe is at least we get the amazing Archangel Battle theme. I might never have heard it otherwise since I didn't play IV's DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1qS9LMuK8M

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Item Getter posted:

When exactly did IV become "universally beloved by hardcore fans" or whatever, I've never heard that before. I was pretty disappointed by IV (although it has a few good parts) and haven't really come around to think otherwise. I preferred V as more of a return to form.

Also seeing all the new posts I thought maybe Atlus announced some cool new thing but no it's just Stux

honestly i try not to get too involved in the fanbase but i was under the impression that with smt5 people started looking back on 4 and putting 5 down in comparison wrt plot or whatever; i could just be wrong af tho

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

NikkolasKing posted:

No need to suffer through YHVH's Universe.

It was fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

honestly i try not to get too involved in the fanbase but i was under the impression that with smt5 people started looking back on 4 and putting 5 down in comparison wrt plot or whatever; i could just be wrong af tho

Its not really true. People had been pretty hyped when the trailer site for IV showed up and had remixes of the I II and III themes. The only people who got particularly rankled we're dedicated Noctunites and people who didn't prefer the 3DS being its home

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Gaius Marius posted:

Its not really true. People had been pretty hyped when the trailer site for IV showed up and had remixes of the I II and III themes. The only people who got particularly rankled we're dedicated Noctunites and people who didn't prefer the 3DS being its home

ahhh i see; yea that makes sense and sounds correct iirc, i think my perspective just got skewed seeing some rambley essays on 4 back in like, 2014

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love IV but I also love collecting a lot of demons

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

they were right, on both counts, 1000%

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
basking in the warm remembrance of playing smt 5 rn, what a cracking game

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

Smt5 is worth every penny. Underpriced, really

It's a great game.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
SMTV definitely needed a stronger story, but it wasn’t so bad that it outweighed the really fun gameplay, imo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The story of 5 was whatever but the soundtrack, Nahobino being sassy af, and the dorky kid transforming into Vergil near the end were all great

Hopefully 5:Endgame or whatever the re-release is named has a great new waifu, the ability to attack in midair, and more than one dungeon copied and pasted

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

The story of 5 was whatever but the soundtrack, Nahobino being sassy af, and the dorky kid transforming into Vergil near the end were all great

Hopefully 5:Endgame or whatever the re-release is named has a great new waifu, the ability to attack in midair, and more than one dungeon copied and pasted

wait, there were dungeons in V? I only saw massive maps full of utterly confusing pathways and lovely platforming.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

same energy as my dad trying to play goldeneye for the first time and being unable to do anything but run against the wall

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The castle was epic. Glad I was ground floor before they casualized it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"There are dungeons? All I see is a maze full of enemies and treasure"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the castle did own and i hope smt5 but with extra anime girl makes the final dungeon as good as it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What were the actual changes? I kept my switch offline until I beat the castle so I didn't have to experience the nerfed wind

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Castle was my favorite part of SMTV. Kinda funny given all the complaints about it.

My favorite part of the gameplay, I mean. The soundtrack was the best part overall. I'd never poo poo on all the great tunes it gave us.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 17, 2022

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

cdyoung posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 is the best rpg on the ps2. Don't @ me, you're wrong.

No other game has the Man Festival, therefore this is true.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Playing SoHa2 has made me appreciate SMTVs story much more. SoHa 2 spells every detail out to you in long social link sequences. SMTV does a lot with very little text, relying more on visual storytelling and shorter, completely optional dialogues (SoHa 2 dialogues are not entirely optional because they give you gameplay benefits). The most telling thing for me is the moment when Ichiro becomes a law zealot. A lot of people itt were like WTF why does he do that all of a sudden but it makes perfect sense, both from the way he's characterized in the dialogue and what happens in the cutscene right before that (Lucifer's shadow emerging to tempt Abdiel and Ichiro). I think a lot of people missed that because they're used to just looking at the textboxes and reading through them very quickly (because a normal JRPG will explain every plot point 3 times anyway).

More importantly, SMTVs story never gets into the way of the gameplay. In SoHa2 i'm often like, ugh i want to explore this dungeon but first I got to grind all the social events at the bar. If there's one thing I'd like to see improved in a possible special edition is that your HS friends should have been integrated more into the gameplay (but not necessarily given more dialogue), sort of like Tao is in chapter 2 but maybe with a more active role in combat. As it is now, they only exist in cutscenes, ||except for Tao's goddess form||.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

been saying this

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

KonvexKonkav posted:

Playing SoHa2 has made me appreciate SMTVs story much more. SoHa 2 spells every detail out to you in long social link sequences. SMTV does a lot with very little text, relying more on visual storytelling and shorter, completely optional dialogues (SoHa 2 dialogues are not entirely optional because they give you gameplay benefits). The most telling thing for me is the moment when Ichiro becomes a law zealot. A lot of people itt were like WTF why does he do that all of a sudden but it makes perfect sense, both from the way he's characterized in the dialogue and what happens in the cutscene right before that (Lucifer's shadow emerging to tempt Abdiel and Ichiro). I think a lot of people missed that because they're used to just looking at the textboxes and reading through them very quickly (because a normal JRPG will explain every plot point 3 times anyway).

More importantly, SMTVs story never gets into the way of the gameplay. In SoHa2 i'm often like, ugh i want to explore this dungeon but first I got to grind all the social events at the bar. If there's one thing I'd like to see improved in a possible special edition is that your HS friends should have been integrated more into the gameplay (but not necessarily given more dialogue), sort of like Tao is in chapter 2 but maybe with a more active role in combat. As it is now, they only exist in cutscenes, ||except for Tao's goddess form||.

Excuse me what? Have you even played Shadow Hearts 2? There are no "social link sequences" those are just called cutscenes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

:imunfunny:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gonna replay smtv on hard.....

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i love when humans talk to me. i want to be friends with the animes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

cheetah7071 posted:

i love when humans talk to me. i want to be friends with the animes

i like animes but humans are just no good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno what grinding bar events means, they're just short convos you freely pick from a menu at one location and the game always tells you when story progress or a sidequest unlocked one. Only way I could see it being "grindy" is if you're actively ignoring them then need points for a mandatory matrix gate if that's even a situation that can happen, but iunno why you'd do that.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 19, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol it really is tms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean most of them are like the characters chatting about a sidequest you just did or a major plot event that happened recently.

Also every single one of them involves Ringo chugging a beer, which is extremely funny in aggregate.