Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a good chance there will be a rail strike in a couple days

Some supplies are already constrained and prices have been going up drastically the last two weeks. Some rail lines might shut down tomorrow

Maybe go get some shopping done today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The extremes for food for me, both good and bad, are overwhelmingly about the circumstances and the actual food is only a minority factor.

Top, unordered.
- Canned sardines in mustard sauce. I had hiked up to the top of the mountain in the High Arctic I'd been working at for a solid week eating only what could be A) transported to the High Arctic and B) kept in an open cardboard box between our tents and prepared using a 2-burner propane camp stove. Lots of cans. But the fish were amazing with crackers (Stoned Wheat Thins :canada: ) when paired with the view from the top of The Dome.
Snowy Dome 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I don't have a picture handy of that actual day, the boulder I was perched on is about 2 km behind and about 300m above this position.

- Footlong tuna sandwich from Subway, Vancouver, about November 2005. I took a Scientific Diving course during my Master's and it was in the fall semester. That means I was SCUBA diving in Howe Sound in air temperatures around 6 C and water temperatures a few degrees colder. In my wetsuit. We did practice rescues, and when I was the "victim" I was pulled to shore by my buddy, cold water splashing onto my eyes continuously. I got seriously cold, in a whole-body deep-down way that is somehow different from the hyperthermia I've had doing winter activities at -25 C. Something clicked in my metabolism, and I proceeded to eat about two days worth of food over the next 4 hours. The footlong Subway I impulse bought driving home was loving mind blowing; it was just the appetiser for the whole large pizza I ate next.

- Peach pie at my then-girlfriend's tiny basement apartment in Regina, Saskatchewan. She proposed to me, and it was homemade pie, so of course it was fantastically good. Peaches in Saskatchewan are never what you guys have been describing.

Speaking of peaches, my now-wife and I are getting very excited about the upcoming season here in Australia. We bought a couple at the shop earlier this week, surprised to see any. They cost more than $4 each. The last peach I bought after the end (long after the end) of the last season, for my wife as a treat, also cost $4. We're addicts or we're some kind of awful peach-based hipsters or something, I'm really looking forward to getting peaches for non-stupid prices.

I was going to list my worst food experiences but why would I want to relive those memories?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

ExecuDork posted:

I was going to list my worst food experiences but why would I want to relive those memories?

Worst food experiences:

1) porizj's chili.
2)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bbcisdabomb posted:

Worst food experiences:

1) Pizza Pizza :canada:
2) KFC

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Most fast food really. I grew up on McDonald's and Taco Bell and that poo poo is disgusting. Same with Pizza Hut and Dominos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I hated fast food

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I hated fast food

I don't love fast food and can easily go months without any. But goddamn sometimes I just want Popeye's or Domino's or Taco Bell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I used to barely eat fast food. Maybe once a month but I'm out on the road all day and often forget to bring my lunch and end up getting it like 3-4 times a week now and there is always a wave of guilt afterwards.

Once a month fast food is clutch. Multiple times a week fast food is "feel like crap and gain 20lbs"

Also it's soo much more expensive now.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Five dollar footlongs from the Subways off La Cienega. I ate McChickens for a dollar beneath the golden arch. All those menus are lost to inflation…like pennies in a drain.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

veni veni veni posted:

I used to barely eat fast food. Maybe once a month but I'm out on the road all day and often forget to bring my lunch and end up getting it like 3-4 times a week now and there is always a wave of guilt afterwards.

Once a month fast food is clutch. Multiple times a week fast food is "feel like crap and gain 20lbs"

Fast food fried chicken is the best (worst). I hate making anything deep fried at home, and even the bad places are still pretty drat good. There's a local chain in my area called Frenchy's that's fantastic - luckily, the one nearest me always has an insane line so I don't get it very often.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My first drunken bite of a honey butter chicken biscuit from whataburger is one of my top 3 bites of food ever, and I don’t think it’s #3.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah uh, whatever happened to "poo poo, I've got a few bucks, I'll get a ton of greasy poo poo" now it's like "...guess I'll go get a full bag of groceries instead of this Baconator combo"

Doesn't help that my Wendy's is right across from the grocery store, so last time I was in the drive-thru line I thought about how just my meal was going to cost more than a package of ground beef, some deli cheese, and some buns. Possibly even more than getting some frozen fries to toss in the oven.

I miss my quick cheap grease fix!!!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah uh, whatever happened to "poo poo, I've got a few bucks, I'll get a ton of greasy poo poo" now it's like "...guess I'll go get a full bag of groceries instead of this Baconator combo"

thinking back fondly about when Taco Bell had a dollar menu and the worst beef burrito was not like $3

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

thinking back fondly about when Taco Bell had a dollar menu and the worst beef burrito was not like $3

They’ve had this deal in the app for a while now for a combo with a drink, a specialty item like a Gordita crunch, a 5 layer burrito (or other options), and chips and cheese (or cinnamon twits I think) for $5. You have to order through the app but it’s a seriously good deal if you still indulge in that kind of food.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah uh, whatever happened to "poo poo, I've got a few bucks,

Two words:

Costco. Hotdog.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

code:
 H   D
COSTCO
 T   G

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

almost verbatim quote from the co-founder

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As a non-American, every news story about American food in America always comes across as bizzaro world, where having somebody else make (fast) food for you is actually cheaper than making food yourself from ingredients bought at a grocery store. Those news pieces always, always include certain keywords, like "food desert" (i.e. the fuel or public-transit cost of visiting an actual supermarket to get fresh veggies or whatever that isn't just cans from the convenience store is a significant concern).

I've never lived anywhere that a filling meal from a fast-food joint (not just fries or something, but a burger and side and drink, or equivalent) cost less than, or even comparable to, the cost of ingredients + utilities (electricity/gas) to make something basic myself. Obviously there's a huge range, especially for "I threw this together at home" and I dunno how you're supposed to amortise your pots & pans vs. eating off of paper every day. It's just an impression, this idea that low-income Americans have health problems because the economic and social incentives all line up and point towards eating empty calories every drat day.

I've also heard of apartments in silly places like San Francisco that cost a million billion dollars (of course) and don't even have a kitchen. The residents just eat out every meal anyway so there's no reason to have any appliances except maybe a small fridge for beer and leftovers.

Back on topic: IKEA hotdogs. Costco arguably makes a better dog, but I don't have to piggy-back on somebody's membership to visit a fake-Swedish flat-pack emporium and enjoy some loganberries. They're fake-Swedish because the company is registered in the Netherlands

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

As a non-American, every news story about American food in America always comes across as bizzaro world, where having somebody else make (fast) food for you is actually cheaper than making food yourself from ingredients bought at a grocery store. Those news pieces always, always include certain keywords, like "food desert" (i.e. the fuel or public-transit cost of visiting an actual supermarket to get fresh veggies or whatever that isn't just cans from the convenience store is a significant concern).

I've never lived anywhere that a filling meal from a fast-food joint (not just fries or something, but a burger and side and drink, or equivalent) cost less than, or even comparable to, the cost of ingredients + utilities (electricity/gas) to make something basic myself. Obviously there's a huge range, especially for "I threw this together at home" and I dunno how you're supposed to amortise your pots & pans vs. eating off of paper every day. It's just an impression, this idea that low-income Americans have health problems because the economic and social incentives all line up and point towards eating empty calories every drat day.

I've also heard of apartments in silly places like San Francisco that cost a million billion dollars (of course) and don't even have a kitchen. The residents just eat out every meal anyway so there's no reason to have any appliances except maybe a small fridge for beer and leftovers.

Back on topic: IKEA hotdogs. Costco arguably makes a better dog, but I don't have to piggy-back on somebody's membership to visit a fake-Swedish flat-pack emporium and enjoy some loganberries. They're fake-Swedish because the company is registered in the Netherlands

I think it’s partly about money and access to ingredients, and also a lot about time. If you’re working all hours at minimum wage job by the time you get home you’re probably too drat tired to cook a meal from scratch and then clear up afterwards. Fast food isn’t just cheap and filling, it’s quick and easy.

Plus a lot of people actually have never been taught to cook and don’t have the time or energy to learn as adults.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cultural extermination plays a good role too. Not even the availability of your cultures food. Kids will absolutely harass the kid that brings in a kawaii bento and their reaction will be to eat more "normal" pizza, mac and cheese, fries...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ikea's veggie dogs are really good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

therattle posted:

I think it’s partly about money and access to ingredients, and also a lot about time. If you’re working all hours at minimum wage job by the time you get home you’re probably too drat tired to cook a meal from scratch and then clear up afterwards. Fast food isn’t just cheap and filling, it’s quick and easy.

Plus a lot of people actually have never been taught to cook and don’t have the time or energy to learn as adults.

also there's plenty of cultures where people eat very cheap street food or at small quick restaurants/stalls/etc for a lot of their regular calories, it's just the US basically displaced that entire industry with fast food (and/or we're so spread out that it's not economically viable the way it would be in countries where more people live in dense urban areas)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's hard to really understand the difficulty of living in a food desert until you have been in that situation, sans reliable transportation. A three mile walk isn't much for me. It became a lot more daunting when that three mile walk was only one way, and I had to figure out how many groceries I could buy for three people and still reasonably make it the three miles back. I drat near threw a party when a Dollar General opened up a five minute walk from my house. There were sidewalks the entire way there, which meant I could use my cart, which was not the case with the grocery store.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A period of living in a food desert with no car should be compulsory training for anyone who wants to be in a position of power. You really learn how to balance time and money when it takes you two hours to get fresh ingredients.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can you elaborate on the tortilla? I found https://ladyandpups.com/2021/05/13/paper-thin-soft-chewy-sonoran-style-flour-tortilla/ which I could do with my camping skillet, and sure as poo poo am going to try. Regarding a wok though, I only saw reference in the comments pointing out the similarity to some Indian flatbread, and that was using the wok upside down.

Trip report on these, they actually work. Best four tortillas I've been able to make. Separate them asap after cooking

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Cultural extermination plays a good role too. Not even the availability of your cultures food. Kids will absolutely harass the kid that brings in a kawaii bento and their reaction will be to eat more "normal" pizza, mac and cheese, fries...

We're dumb white Americans, but my son has developed a love for things like onigiri and kimchi and takes that and similar things to school for lunch every day. I'm so glad he's getting away from the crap he ate when he was little.

As for fast food, time is a huge factor. I used to work 12 hour shifts at night and my wife operates under a lot of limitations so we often had a lot of cheap food and carry out. Now that I have a day job, I cook nearly every day and pack lunches for me and the kid.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also not knowing how to cook is definitely a thing. I have people all the time tell me they wish they had a culinary degree like I do, but really all you need is the internet and some idea of the food you like. Many people treat cooking as some magical skill when it's the easiest and most basic thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It’s fear, Walla. Say you’re working a minimum wage job for like 60 hours a week, because one job won’t cut it, so you snag a part time one to make ends meet. The amount of time and energy you have is limited. Now say you watched a ton of YouTube or cooking channel videos in your breaks and junk. You understand the theory. And, you have almost all the ingredients for that recipe at home. However, that recipe now involves a lot of prep time.

Also, say that you aren’t really great at order of operations. Like. Throw pot on stove. Turn on heat to medium. Chop onion. Crank heat, add onion, add fat. Then chop next thing. Etc. Instead, you see the YouTube video or recipe or cooking show having the cookist grab pre prepared ingredients. Or if you’re like Alton Brown or whatever, and you’ve drilled the concept of mise en place to the people watching. It does make for a successful cooking session, but it also means it’ll take a long fukken time.

So now the ingredients all took like an hour to chop up and prepare and put into bowls to get ready. You make the recipe, following the instructions. “Sautée onions for 5 minutes until browned.” Yeah right. So then one of two things happens. Five minutes in, you go to the next step. It doesn’t look right, but the recipe writer knows what they’re doing, so let’s get this moving. Other option is that you don’t move on, because the TV guy had his onions brown, and you don’t. So let’s stop and wait until they are brown. A half hour later, they’re brown. Meanwhile this “quick and easy” Pinterest recipe has taken two hours thus far, and you’ve been snacking on chips all this time.

Then you get to the “salt to taste”. You’re used to fast food where it’s already salted to gently caress and back. When you salt that food, you only need a little bit of salt and maybe some hot sauce to season your food. So it’s the same here, right?

Three hours later, the dish is done. You have a massive mess to clean up. You taste it and conclude you’re not a very good cook. This took up so much time and money on ingredients, and made such a huge mess, and it didn’t even come out like in the pictures. gently caress this, next time we’re ordering pizza.

That’s a best case scenario. What if the food was inedible, and that was the last food you have until the next pay check in 3 days? What happens when you think you suck at cooking, but all you have is the one nonstick pan with several scratches on it, and a bottom so thin you could read newspaper through it, and a single ramen pot. Everything gets burned, because your lovely electric stove has two settings: surface of the sun, and off. There is no medium.

Yeah cooking isn’t hard when you’ve done it, but I did my learning when someone else was in charge and paying for the groceries. If I hosed up a dish, mom still had a buttload of leftovers in the fridge. She wasn’t going to let me waste food, but if it was a case where the result could genuinely not be saved, she’d tell me to throw it out, or let the dog have it. For a solid few years, I had the luxury of experimenting with cooking until I got really good at it, and my mum trusted me to be in there with her doing ingredient prep. I didn’t go to culinary school, because I learned by doing for several years. Someone who never had that luxury is going to be nervous about taking it on, especially when the stakes are high. Multiply by 10 if there’s kids involved. You don’t as a poor person risk buying food that the kids won’t eat. Not when the budget is tight. You sure as hell aren’t going to make something that involves a huge time suck if the kids won’t eat it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is an excellent post.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In my mind the consistency, as in low variability in quality across different locations/times, is also a part of the appeal. I think the appeal is a combination of (relatively) low cost, low time/labor commitment, familiar and easy taste, and consistency. Like most likely you won't get something that's totally inedible. Like I could probably make bean burritos cheaper than taco bell, but it would taste different and I'd have to work for them.

But yeah I've reflected on the experience that's needed to cook food. I've started a bunch of other non-cooking projects recently and I always feel that fear that dino mentions and felt disappointment in my own work. Like I know I don't know what I'm doing, I just feel like a clown stomping around in my garden/yard/house when I'm doing some improvement projects. The results are usually ok at best and I have a decent probability of loving something up (for example there's some vestigial drywall anchors in my bedroom because I didn't deploy them properly).

But I've cooked so much food that I feel confident in cooking pretty much anything at this point. Like I've never made paella in my life but if someone asked me to make some I'd just be like "sure why not" and I'd produce something that's edible or maybe even good. But I think I kind of took that for granted, and I understand that for a lot of people that cooking for them is like those house projects for me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I dunno. I get it. I was raised by a single mom who worked the night shift 60 hours a week. Meals weren't fancy, and there was a ton of fast food and box meals like hamburger helper or taco packets. And that was the 90's so if you wanted to try something different you were grabbing a cook book or watching 1 of 3 cooking shows if you were lucky. But it's not a far leap to go from hamburger helper to casseroles, or to look at the ingredients on a packet of taco seasoning and start making your own.

Maybe I take it for granted that I've been cooking my entire adult life, even though at this point I only spent maybe a decade actually in a kitchen. Hell, I don't even work anywhere near that industry anymore and hope to never again. And most of that time was spent in diners and fast food.

Even in a food desert and on a tight budget you can do a lot with some canned vegetables and some pasta or rice.

I just think we make too many excuses for bad habits and poor nutrition in this country. I was definitely a part of that problem for myself for too many years.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I learned in a middle class family that did not fear scarcity, just only having steaks once a week and such.

I still completely gently caress myself on dishes and when I was living paycheck to paycheck right out of college it was basically frozen pizzas or rice and beans. If I had to pick up an extra 20 hours the latter would never have happened. Too many overly dente beans.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 18, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Walla posted:

I just think we make too many excuses for bad habits and poor nutrition in this country. I was definitely a part of that problem for myself for too many years.

I think we put far too much blame on the most vulnerable people who have the least time, energy and ability to cope with an actively hostile and punitive environment created by those who have the most ability to work around it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's not an excuse, Walla, it's an explanation. The 90s was a vastly different time from what we've got today. Your mum was more than likely raised in a household where the majority of the food that they ate was cooked in the home. If she specifically wasn't, most of her peers were. She was expected/taught at least basic cooking skills by her parents, as was I, and apparently as were you. However, I can name *several* peers of mine who didn't have that same situation, either because both parents work insane hours and the kiddo just eats whatever, or they all have insane schedules (between the activities, after school poo poo, various clubs, and then both parents having nuts schedules too), so they tend to grab things on the go more often than not.

It was a very eye-opening experience when I was going through the testing process for the cookbook. I had written the recipes down in a format that I thought made plenty of sense. I had measured stuff out fairly consistently, for the amounts of stuff that the food was making. For example, your typical Indian recipe *will* give measurements, but it doesn't make sense proportionally to the amount of food you're making. Or, they'll give amounts, but use nonstandard measuring equipment to measure the food. If you have a masala dabba, and are telling someone to use half a spoon of the turmeric in something, but you're using the masala dabba spoon that came with it (which is standard, but not the same as actual measuring spoons), you're going to wind up with vastly different results when someone equipped with an American kitchen tries to use those same measurements for the same 500 g of potatoes.

All the stuff I mentioned is the complaints that I got during the testing process. "This soup took me like 6 hours to make, because there were so many different vegetables, and I sat there and chopped them all ahead of time. It was freaking delicious, but it'll be a once in a long time occasion thing." This is a soup that I'd knock up for friends when I'm being lazy. But as soon as I saw the text of "... chopped them ahead of time", I knew what the issue was, and that I had to explain the order of operations. Same goes for the "salt to taste" issue. Same goes for "sauté five minutes" issue (which I never did, because I grew up on Alton Brown, who mentions several times that a good sweat on onions is going to take like a half hour, but it is something I see on recipes all the time).

Now think back to all the recipes you've read, and genuinely tell me how many of them have that level of conscientiousness for someone who has NEVER cooked something fully from scratch before? Hamburger Helper and cream of sodium casseroles are barely a step above fast food, to be honest, and if you have a lovely kitchen/oven, it's going to take a long time and still taste pretty meh. Like, when I was with my ex, he did have those casseroles and junk when growing up, but his mum was a stay at home mum who worked part time once in a while when they needed some extra cash. He STILL didn't really know how to cook until living with me all those years and helping out in the kitchen, because nobody bothered to sit his rear end down and explain it. He could make some ramen. He could knock up some sandwiches. His roommate introduced him to a rice cooker and basmati rice (versus the minute rice crap), where he realised that he actually likes rice (!), so would find stuff to eat with said rice. This happened some time in his mid twenties. Up till then, he'd not really set foot in a kitchen except to heat up something or make a sandwich, and this dude's 3 years older than me.

I think you're vastly underestimating how much of a barrier to entry that cooking is for people.

You ever seen someone who doesn't cook frequently follow a recipe? They read each step, break out the measuring spoons, etc etc, and then go at it. I was at Jenny and Marhsall's house (names changed to protect the innocent). They know I'm vegan, and that my boyfriend is happy to eat whatever, as long as it tastes good, and there's a good amount of it. They were gonna make potato latkes and buffalo cauliflower. Seems legit. They were gonna do said buffalo cauliflower in the air fryer. For which they had one tray. The one tray was roughly big enough to hold maybe 5 florets. Marshall was gonna go back and forth every time a batch was finished, and then bread, air fryer, toss in sauce, and set on place for the rest of the night until the giant cauliflower they bought was finished. Also, each batch would take about 15 minutes in the air fryer, because the cauliflower goes in raw.

"So just parcook it in the oven, and do the finishing steps in the air fryer."

"Oh."

So then he did that. But used only one of the cookie sheets (of the three that they had) to parcook the cauliflower florets. There was a good 2/3 left of them hanging out to wait.

"No no, parcook all of them."

"Oh. But then I have to put them on different racks."

"It'll be fine."

"Huh. If you say so."

Spoiler: they were delicious, but Jesus christ can you imagine how long that would've taken him if he had gone one at a time like that?

Jenny was making the latkes. She ran out of salt. She ran. Out of salt. Of saaaaaaaalt. That she ran out of. "How many grinds of salt [she did have a salt grinder] is 1/2 tsp?"

"Here. Use some of the Kosher salt I keep in my bag."

"You carry salt in your bag?"

"Always."

She was gonna stand there and salt the latkes with the salt grinder by holding it over the measuring spoon until it came up to the 1/2 tsp measure. Also, the latkes were delicious.

I'm not bringing this up to laugh at the stupid noobs who can't cook. I'm bringing it up because things that you or I take for granted are not obvious to someone who doesn't cook. AND ALSO, we had arrived like 2 hours later to Jenny's house than originally anticipated because bridge traffic was a bitch, and we were sat there for entirely too long trying to cross. When we came into the house, the potatoes were done grating, and the cauliflower had just done floreting. And both of them were at home all day up till this point. And these are people who do know how to follow a recipe to execute a meal. Both of them are pretty good cooks, but they don't tend to do it that often, because they both have bizarre schedules where they're getting home at rear end o'clock, and they have enough energy to microwave something or eat the leftover takeout from the night before, and then pass out and go to bed.

I have another friend who recently moved with her kids to a house in the suburbs, where she passes 3 good cheap grocery stores on her way home. In her old apartment, the nearest grocery store was a 20 minute walk (between the distance and the traffic, it was obnoxious to get there). You could take the bus there, but now you're out the bus fare each way. Not too onerous, but when it's late and you're tired, you're probably going to grab something from the bodega rather than wandering the streets to go get the groceries. The bodega sells a tin of black beans for like $2.50, when it's $1.25 at the grocery store. It makes a massive difference in what it is that you're buying. You still need other stuff to go with your ONE can of beans for $2.50. Also you have to cook it which you're already none too excited to do. Kennedy Fried Chicken downstairs has a 2 piece, soda, and fries for $6. OK, so $6 for a 2 piece sounds a bit much? What if you have a family? A TEN PIECE IS $14. And that's including two giant tubs of fries. Oh, your family is a bunch of big eaters? The 15 piece is $21. And that one comes with 4 tubs of fries.

This isn't an advertisement for Kennedy Fried Chicken, it's what people are trying to get at when they say that in a food dessert, fast food is very frequently the cheapest and best option. Add that to the summer months when it's balls hot, and you can't afford to cool your apartment because the one room unit you have will vaguely send a few puffs of air to the living room. God forbid you turn on the stove, and everyone is now dying of overheat. It's really easy for me to sneer at poor people being lazy or stupid, in my very well equipped kitchen, with regular access to really good grocery stores (my local grocery store is Whole Foods, but the boyfriend will drive me to Shop Rite or Walmart or whatever ethnic market I need when I ask him to do so), and pretty good level of skills, in a house that won't kill me if I cook in it because I have a powerful a/c unit and can afford the light bill that comes from running it. I haven't had to live in a food dessert since 2007. That was a very very long time ago, and I'm not in that same situation anymore, where I had to decide whether to get groceries or to pay the light bill.

AND? God forbid I ever get depressed. Even with all my cooking knowledge, I'll still go through bouts of nasty depression where I can manage to knock up some tater tots in the air fryer, and that's dinner. Looking down one's nose at someone who's poor and has little access to resources, with that attitude of "Well my mom could sort it in the 90s, so clearly all these poors are dumb and lazy" is kind of a lovely thing to do. It's not the same, and you well know it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Whatever, gently caress off. I'm out.

For the loving record, I grew up poor and make less than $30,000 a year in an area where the median income approaches $70,000. So don't come at me with this loving "looking down your nose bullshit".

Piss off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it doesn't help that stuff like hamburger helper and casseroles with canned vegetables are now so widely seen as poor people food and a lot of the cooking shows on tv are acting like you shouldn't even bother cooking if you aren't using evoo and real parmigiano reggiano all the time and making fancy stuff

Like if it's a casserole or takeout and everyone on the family is eating separately as is common now, maybe you're just going to take the path of least resistance.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 18, 2022

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Seconding Dino: I am not a pro cook at all (my sister is!) we were 90's latch key kids with a weirdo rural upbringing that came with a lot of baggage, but a solid food education. I never had curry until I was 18, but I could bake bread without a recipe. I didn't know what cumin was, so I just... Left it out of recipes. Skilled but ignorant as hell? My mom worshipped Crock Pots so a good amount of our food was something wholesome but lacking any sort of texture beyond 'vegetable and meat containing slurry' (eat with biscuits).

The other sort of food deserts that exist are rural ones. You get damned good at stretching and adapting food if its a 40 minute drive. Doubly so in winter if the roads haven't been plowed and you might lose power.

Now I'm a 'dink' (dual income, no kids) and I spent all morning making jam out of weird farmers market fruit (Cornelian Cherries!) and canning green beans. I have no food scarcity, but 'putting food up' as I grew up with, is this super comforting action.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Walla posted:

Whatever, gently caress off. I'm out.

For the loving record, I grew up poor and make less than $30,000 a year in an area where the median income approaches $70,000. So don't come at me with this loving "looking down your nose bullshit".

Piss off.

You better gently caress off. You made more than 15 an hour in an area with the medium income at 12% above norm.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jesus Christ, I’ve never seen someone go so quickly from zero to telling Dino of all people to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Jesus Christ, I’ve never seen someone go so quickly from zero to telling Dino of all people to gently caress off.

Moving on, I’d like to talk about late summer produce.

Here in KY, it’s about to be one last week of heat before the autumn rolls in, and we’ve set ourselves up to start canning tomatoes like the spring depends on it (it does). The other day I made borsch (according to my childhood friend’s mother, who grew up Russian Jewish in Odesa, there’s no “t” sound in the dialect?), and it’s a great time to start hunkering down.

Anyone making more complex plans than just putting things up for the dark months? I’m fermenting a hot sauce that took intimacy off the table for a few days while we wiped down the surfaces, but besides that I have no real ideas.