Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The glue guy and the one with a speech bubble for a head are way more freaky looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Rhonne posted:

I think he also mentioned a Mina one too, which is even more of a bummer.

AFO realizes the errors of his ways after witnessing Mina's breakdancing

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Shouji hiding his face is less an indication of courtesy to me and more one of shame. People have probably freaked out in the past when they saw his face so instead of making people get the gently caress over it, he got embarrassed and hid behind a mask. Like, this is pretty much the one upside to heroes being celebrities. Getting people used to heroes with major mutations. Gang Orca would scare the absolute poo poo out of anyone meeting him if they'd never seen him before - but Gang Orca is on TV and in magazines and at public events. Hell, you don't even have to go as hard as Gang Orca - if you were trapped in a collapsing building and some guy bursts in with huge wings and you've never seen him before, your first thought is probably not "I'm going to die" but "I'm already dead."

Funny that you bring up Gang Orca, because the first time he shows up, they mention that he's on the top 10 lost of heroes who look like villains, which has to be at least a little insulting to the guy. I also remember a bit from one of the volumes that mentions that he gets asked to speak at aquariums a lot because he's an expert, but ends up scaring the kids away most of the time.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I'm wondering how much fanfiction there is speculating on Shoji's troubles. Probably plenty for Spinner, given all the stuff we learned about him in MVA.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Spinner has on-panel dialogue about how he's had kind of a poo poo time because of being a lizard dude, it's one of his motivations.

It's also why it's really sad he's almost completely vanished from the story because "some people just have enormous visual mutations that may or may not have anything to do with their power set" is one of the weirder and more potentially interesting parts of the setting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kanos posted:

Spinner has on-panel dialogue about how he's had kind of a poo poo time because of being a lizard dude, it's one of his motivations.

It's also why it's really sad he's almost completely vanished from the story because "some people just have enormous visual mutations that may or may not have anything to do with their power set" is one of the weirder and more potentially interesting parts of the setting.

Another thing Vigilantes talks about more and does better poo poo with

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Another thing Vigilantes talks about more and does better poo poo with

Mantis-Man feels like a joke at the commentary's expense, though.
Plus by 2020 it collapses into what we've got of MHA right now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Delphisage posted:

Mantis-Man feels like a joke at the commentary's expense, though.
Plus by 2020 it collapses into what we've got of MHA right now.

MHA is not canon I'm sorry.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MHA is not canon I'm sorry.

I can't believe they tried to make a grimdark, serious spinoff of the lighthearted romp, MHA: SMASH.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The only thing that'll save this final fight in MHA is if Knuckleduster shows up and just punches Shigi to death.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The only thing that'll save this final fight in MHA is if Knuckleduster shows up and just punches Shigi to death.

After trying unsuccessfully to steal his quirk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just want Koichi to show up and school Shiggy or All For One. Like, his whole thing in Vigilantes was distracting and annoying villains until the real heroes show up to save the day, he'd be perfect here.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Rhonne posted:

I just want Koichi to show up and school Shiggy or All For One. Like, his whole thing in Vigilantes was distracting and annoying villains until the real heroes show up to save the day, he'd be perfect here.

I just want him to show up and Shinra Tensei AFO into space.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CuwiKhons posted:

The problem with that is that Shouji lives in a society

:hmmyes:

On a more serious note, I do think it'd have been nice to have any arcs discussing the characters who aren't conventional in appearance. Deku always wanted a Quirk, but maybe here's some person that has a Quirk that makes them look so offputting to others that they wish they never had one. Give him a different viewpoint, or something.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
And remember the Creature Rejection Clan, and Spinner's "My life was hell 'cause I was some kind of lizard guy"? There's fantasy racism at play here, too. Gang Orca "looks villainous," because he's big and scary and not classically human-looking, and we've gotten plenty on what "seeming like a villain" — not having the resources, positionality or ability to sell yourself as a hero — can do to your life unless you've got a chance to combat it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest part about all of the clearly introduced anti-mutant racism stuff is that it was all neatly clipped clean out of the anime for some reason. So if it ever comes back into play here at the end of the manga, the anime is either going to be baffling and weird or just clip it all out again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Given the anime's determination to cut out every bit of humanization the bad guys have they will just cut it again.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Given the anime's determination to cut out every bit of humanization the bad guys have they will just cut it again.
which is even funnier because entire portions of the anime won't make any sense then.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fabricated posted:

which is even funnier because entire portions of the anime won't make any sense then.

There's entire characters in the manga who already don't make sense. All the anime can do is cut out even more of the minutiae that only Western readers want.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I remember when at the end of MVA, they flashbacked to a scene they had previously cut, and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

oh jay posted:

I remember when at the end of MVA, they flashbacked to a scene they had previously cut, and I laughed and I laughed and I laughed.

I was laughing at Hawks flashing back to a scene that hadn't actually happened yet.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Spoilers are finally out for MHA and it actually looks like a good chapter for the first time in a while

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Shigaraki was defeated by rear end.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't believe Shigaraki was defeated by rear end.
The biggest contribution the original AFO successor had was literally showing his rear end as a distraction

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4286/my-hero-academia-chapter-366

🍑

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
amazing

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:tutbutt:

Absolutely amazing

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Believe in the booty

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh my god, the rear end

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Maybe it was all worth it for this

It wasn't but it was still drat great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh my god I thought that spoiler was fake, that’s hilarious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWorksWell posted:

Maybe it was all worth it for this

It wasn't but it was still drat great

:agreed:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

okay yeah that was amusing

also the revelation that the family bodies were...also just a hand, but for punching, is very funny but not in the same way

and I still can't believe we're theoretically going to cut away from this for other fights. unless the plan is just to leave it at the anime at this point.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
lol glad Hori took that extra week for this. This is the type of stupid I can get behind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the anime, do we know when next month the show is supposed to come back yet?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Speaking of the anime, do we know when next month the show is supposed to come back yet?

It starts October 1st

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It starts October 1st

Gotcha, hopefully this one won’t be quite as much of a mess as Season 5 was (there doesn’t seem to be any new movies on the horizon yet at least)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Shiggy’s final form is so stupid looking lol, least Deku’s here and we can stop spinning our wheels.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

TheHan posted:

Shiggy’s final form

Do you really believe we've seen it before the final battle's begun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TheHan posted:

Shiggy’s final form is so stupid looking lol, least Deku’s here and we can stop spinning our wheels.

Hey, now, that's not necessarily true. Deku has plenty of his own wheels to spin. Bakugo's not even back up yet.
I do hope you're right, though

FireWorksWell posted:

Do you really believe we've seen it before the final battle's begun?

A character asked themselves whether it was. So it definitely wasn't.