Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rickshaw posted:

I decided to figure out how to run Deus Ex on my M1 max macbook pro, since I recently had luck running Thief and some other old games. Porting kit wine skins have given me some good results with other old games (and doesn't require a license like parallels or crossover) but Deus Ex seems to slow to a crawl with default settings. I tried tuning the wine wrapper with my limited ability, but without much luck.

Eventually, I found these enhanced OpenGL renderers http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ and I managed to install the dlls in my wine install of DX, and it greatly improved things! It went from unplayable to playable, but performance is still pretty bad. I feel like it should be able to run more smoothly, Human Revolution in parallels has better performance on this machine! Does anyone have any pointers?

Try the Kentie’s dx10 renderer instead https://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/index.htm. Deus Exe on that website might be worth trying as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Thanks! I tried Deus Exe after reading the OP, but it seems it hasn't impacted performance at all. I will try out Kentie's Dx10.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you're supposed to use kentie's launcher with the new renderer. it's not an either/or

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Ah well, launching with Kentie's Direct3D 10 renderer fails with the message "Initializing Direct3D failed"; I note Kentie's page lists among requirements installing a required DirectX update dxwebsetup.exe, but this fails in the wine wrapper (log suggests this is because DownloadDXUpdate() failed). Overall, I'm in over my head. You'd think there'd be more info on the web about running this in wine on a modern mac. I'm continuing to poke around.

edit: I figured out how to install the directX update by avoiding dxwebsetup.exe and finding instead directx_Jun2010_redist. Running this in the wineskin to extract files, then after that running DXSETUP.exe to install DirectX runtime components. But running with Kentie's Direct3D 10 renderer results in the same error as above.

edit2: spent some time mucking around with winetricks, d3d dlls, vulkan stuff, wine config library overrides, with no luck. Probably gonna give up on this for now.

edit3: removed all dll overrides, and changed my wine engine to WS11WineCX21.20 and it launched! But everything outside of menus is a black screen.

edit4: it sounds like the problem is there just isn't a DirectX to Vulkan to Metal support, or something like that. giving up on this for now.

Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 26, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Has anyone tried the HR mode in revision? I’ve been trying to find info on it and it sounds like it’s unique to revision, and replaces skills and the vanilla augs with HR style aug trees. Sorta curious how it works in practice considering numerical skills everyone seems to have decided we’re a bad idea since there hasn’t been an immersive sim to feature them since deus ex
It’s fairly fun and probably unbalanced compared to the original design.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone here played Dex? The reason that I ask is that it's free on GOG at the moment and multiple people have referred to it is a light, 2D Deus Ex.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I did.

Wrote up a review and a short "before I play".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

I did.

Thank you. I'll have a peek.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I did.

I concur with both of those—it’s fun enough to play once and hacking skills are optimal.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

I found a detailed how-to ostensibly for getting DX to run on mac with wineskin, with new vision / kenzie / D3D 10:
https://grafxflow.co.uk/blog/game-reviews/install-deus-ex-goty-wineskin-on-mac

I will be trying this out sometime in the near future when I feel up to it. I think it's important to document this stuff because this is the best game of all time.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Alright, so here's what I've found.

The above guide is a little outdated, recommends specific wine engines that are deprecated, some options and dialogues are different, etc, but overall one can follow the instructions. The guide recommends the updated OpenGL renderer from New Vision mod, not Direct3D or Direct3D 10. I used wine engine WS11WineCX21.2.0, wrapper version 2.9.1.1 .

The end result has no better performance than my previous experiments which were mostly using porting kit. I.e.: Direct3D performance is unplayable, OpenGL is better but still choppy. New Vision textures are working.

I can launch the game with Direct3D 10 renderer, but like before it only renders menus, everything else is blank. The main reason for this seems to be:

code:
0024:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
My understanding is that WS11WineCX21.2.0 won't work with Direct3D 10 or 11:

https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer#directx-support

quote:

DirectX support
WineD3D by default converts D3D to OpenGL, OpenGL on macOS hasn't been updated in years, at present only DirectX9 and earlier function.
DXVK Requirements are not entirely known at this time, however as CodeWeavers locks support to macOS High Sierra this would be a good start.
Open the winetricks menu and select one of the provided DXVK macOS verbs.
For older wrappers ensue you've updated winetricks to get my forked version.

This will install DXVK for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 support for 64Bit games.
32Bit DirectX10 and later is not supported on macOS
VKD3D is no supported!

This is a little confusing but I think it means: for 32-bit apps, you can only do up to DirectX 9, and support exists in wine out of the box. This means the Direct3D default renderer works, as I've found.

For DirectX 10 and 11, you can use winetricks to install DXVK (directx -> vulkan) and moltenVK (vulkan -> mac os metal), but this only works for 64 bit apps, i.e. WS11WineCX64bit21.2.0. I tried, and Deus Ex won't work in a 64 bit wrapper, almost certainly because it's a 32 bit app. This means that the updated DirectX renderers from kintie / new vision don't work, as I've found.

Now, for the good news: if I launch windowed at a lower resolution like 1280 x 800, and then zoom the window in wine, the game is totally playable. It's not running at 60fps or anything, but I can accurately run up and melee people. The only problem I've found is in the security camera hacking screen where multiple cameras are rendered at once, here FPS drop considerably.

So I think it's time to start a real play-through and prod with the prod!!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks for documenting that stuff, it's good to see a solution to a problem posted rather than "I fixed it, thanks" :D

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone here played Dex? The reason that I ask is that it's free on GOG at the moment and multiple people have referred to it is a light, 2D Deus Ex.

thanks for the tip, i played it over the weekend, and i think it's pretty fun.

Xander77 posted:

I did.

i found your posts very helpful, tyvm xander seventy seven!

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Casimir Radon posted:

This guy speculates that the Ocean Lab is really a repurposed Moon Base they decided to change because the technical limitations would have made it look dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwt73XzDTc

Honestly, what seals the deal for me are the textures on the crater. Like, mind = blown.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Already finding things on this playthrough that I haven't seen before. Underwater rat!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is... is he okay? Do animals drown in DX? He's got bubbles.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
His lungs are augmented.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I felt so bad first time I played when I stepped on and killed one of the French woman’s cats who wants you to take care of the greasels

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

The rat creates bubbles yes. And a minute later it died. Greatest game of all time

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What a rotten way to die. He was a good rat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been playing mankind divided for the first time, and...i kinda wish they didn't front load the side stuff so much? like i got back from the dubai intro mission and then spent the next 9 hours doing side quests and exploring Prague before even stepping foot in the taskforce 29 building to start the story

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

site posted:

I've been playing mankind divided for the first time, and...i kinda wish they didn't front load the side stuff so much? like i got back from the dubai intro mission and then spent the next 9 hours doing side quests and exploring Prague before even stepping foot in the taskforce 29 building to start the story

Makes sense, in a way: the game ends pretty abruptly at what was meant to be the halfway point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Twitch friend of mine is playing Deus Ex for the very first time ever and streaming their misadventures https://www.twitch.tv/karkalla they aren't streaming today, but will be live tomorrow at 10am pacific time. Their goal is to get through the entire game with no hints or help, just figuring out the entire thing on their own.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

aniviron posted:

What a rotten way to die. He was a good rat.

yeah. rip.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Rat a shame.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Just here to announce I’m on my first replay of Deus Ex and holy poo poo I had no idea how much it improves on replay. I liked it a ton the first time but revisiting it after like 7 years it’s blowing me away how much detail in the levels I missed and how incredible the music is. I got to the naval base and stopped there and have just been listening to the soundtrack again up to that point. Especially amazed by the conversation/combat tracks that you hear so little of during normal gameplay. Tremendous video game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah the replayability is through the roof. Sometimes I end up doing the same old poo poo, sometimes I just blow up every door I see. It rules.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was still finding new things after like a dozen replays. It's nuts. Also considering the fact that it's really a linear game, it just doesn't feel like it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
are any of the Jensen's stories on mankind divided any good? despite the hilariously abrupt end I've put enough hours into it that I'm burnt out on it, but if any of them are worth it I'd rather power through and do it before i uninstall and put this away for a long time

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The DLCs are great. One's a giant bank heist, the other you're in a prison to do... something, I forget. But it was good.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Play the Prison one and never unlock your augs again and pretend that you're playing Thief and ENJOY

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

jeeves posted:

Play the Prison one and never unlock your augs again and pretend that you're playing Thief and ENJOY

I did this. I hosed everything up and savescummed incessantly locking myself into failstates at least a half-dozen times. It was the best goddamn gaming experience Ive had in years.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The prison DLC is awesome, the bank is pretty decent. The bank feels like cut content, and the other other mission which is not as good is definitely cut content.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
PrisonDLC being all one giant level with no load screens was like :hellzeah:

Then realizing it was probably the last Deus Ex content ever made for the next decade or more: :ohnoez:

Especially since the PrisonDLC's overall story is kind of inferring that you have implanted memories since you're obviously not the same Adam Jensen as in HR, as other story beats in the non-DLC game allude to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sometimes completion rate statistics are just depressing

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's always like that for DLC because it includes people who didn't buy the DLC in the percentage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, MD didn't do anyone any favors with its nakedly greedy launch DLCs, I can understand people not wanting to go back and spend more money on the game after that ending. Heck, I didn't.

edit: My favorite bit was that lovely loving vault that uses radial selection, which was clearly bolted on by another team as part of the DLC shove-in.
edit2: And I liked the game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 16, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MD also had the cash shop on launch, where you could buy praxis etc. for cash. Gross. Not sure if that's still online or not, but it left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

Also the first and last thirds of the game were missing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay yeah the tarvos security dlc was definitely cut from the main game, both just because of it's place in the story and the fact that it's the only dlc that doesn't have any achievements.

Serephina posted:

edit: My favorite bit was that lovely loving vault that uses radial selection, which was clearly bolted on by another team as part of the DLC shove-in.

i really hated that puzzle

finally totally done with md. rip deus ex franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I suspect that the blade heist was also cut but probably a lot earlier in development, and it was scaled back into the bank heist that is in the main game. There is dialogue referencing the bank that the DLC sends you to which suggests that it was meant to appear. At least the bank DLC wound up being pretty cool, and has its own area and feels pretty worthwhile. The Tarvos DLC was blatantly ripped out of the game though, yeah. I assume it was just not finished in time, but who knows?