Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Do any of you still go to an office to do work? What do you carry your laptop in? Looking for backpack recommendations. I already bought and returned 14 different backpacks and I'm running out of backpacks to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
i use a one strap messenger bag because i thought it would look less dorky than a backpack, and maybe it does, but a backpack is way more comfortable to carry and i regret it but not enough to actually buy something else

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't go to the office, but I do use a Vera Bradley laptop bag when I bring the MBA out the house. Only two pockets but it's more than enough for me. I only really need to bring the laptop and maybe the charger, after all.

E: one of these: https://verabradley.com/products/laptop-organizer-28906i95?variant=39647371755564

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 16, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have a tough time imagining what would cause me to dislike a backpack enough to actually bother spending the time to return it, and certainly can't fathom doing it 13 more times, so maybe it'd help if you explained what was wrong with the ones you had and what you're hoping for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Brain Issues posted:

Do any of you still go to an office to do work? What do you carry your laptop in? Looking for backpack recommendations. I already bought and returned 14 different backpacks and I'm running out of backpacks to buy.

I've been using various generations and models of Timbuk2 backpacks and messengers since like 2007. They've been through various style/material/management/manufacturing changes over the years but I still recommend them

They regularly have sales on their off-the-rack and custom shop stuff

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone who has opened a 2016-2019 4TB port intel machine, or worked on the OG cheese grater towers, knows that this is a genuine, common occurrence.

True story, once someone brought in one of the last model G5 towers and said it wouldn't power on, then when he opened it up, greenish ooze spilled all over the exam table.

(It was one of the last liquid cooled G5s and one of its seals finally gave)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
You guys really sure that you want me to post these novels about backpacks, because I will

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Brain Issues posted:

You guys really sure that you want me to post these novels about backpacks, because I will

:justpost:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Brain Issues posted:

Tom Bihn Synapse 19

Bought it in 2011 and it’s held up to work, travel, 3 moves across the US, and everything else.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
My original goal when I started this journey was to find an EDC bag that while capable of a week long trip, looked appropriate in an office setting and doesn’t sag a ton when lightly packed, wasn’t overly bulky or difficult to get in and out of. Ideally also not totally out of place going on some trails. I’m beginning to wonder if this exists, because I haven’t found it yet. I think onebag life is not possible for me, and I will end up with either 2 or 3 bags - A nice small EDC backpack, a larger travel sized backpack or rolling bag, and a packable daybag.

Bellroy Classic - Nice materials inside and out, well put together. Lacking organization & didn’t like the front pocket shape and it was hard to see inside. The front pocket was just awkward to use as it was lined in black and your contents were free to move around in areas hard to reach with your hand without contorting it. No water bottle pockets. Otherwise a very nice, simple bag.

Timbuk2 Division Deluxe - way too bulky/heavy for what it could hold. Decided I prefer to have the laptop sleeve in the main compartment. This was my least favorite bag of all (except for the Alpaka).

Osprey Daylite Plus - Excellent daypack, lovely features, very comfortable, but was too outdoorsy oriented for my needs as my goals for this pack is primarily intended to be an EDC office bag. I didn’t expect there to be so many straps dangling everywhere with no way to control them. The compression straps for the exterior pouch prevent you from unzipping the main compartment by too much.

Osprey Arcane Large - This bag was a close 3rd place. If you pack with pouches/cubes this bag gives you an absolute ton of space. It packs more like a 25L bag. Extremely light weight at 1lb 6oz. It also simply looks nice on the outside and feels good to the touch. The straps are very comfortable and well built despite lacking a sternum strap. It’s fairly priced at ~$85. I really wanted to like this bag. I just didn’t like the quick access situation, and the inside materials of the bag feel very cheap in contrast to the outside and straps. Also no sternum strap meant it was out for hiking. Also was concerned with how the exterior shell fabric would hold up over time and its water resistance. If I was limited to a budget under $100, this would be my recommendation.

Alpaka Elements Backpack VX21 LE - in my opinion they put too much stock into the Hub system and it’s lacking useful pockets inside and outside. The front exterior pocket is the worst I’ve ever seen. It is tiny, with a small opening, so you can’t see inside well, and it takes space from the main compartment if you manage to fit something inside it. It has no extra fabric to expand as you fill it in either direction. It’s nearly unusable even with the bag empty, with the bag packed it is 100% useless. This leaves you with no quick access pocket at all. There’s only two other interior pockets and they’re both small. A dealbreaker for me.

Mountain Hardwear Camp 4 21 & 28 - Laptop sleeve was too tight on both of these. I occasionally carry two 14” laptops, and I could barely squeeze in one of them. Instantly out.

Swissgear Scansmart 1900 31L - Pockets pockets pockets pockets. It’s too many pockets and it’s too big/heavy of a bag for EDC.

Evergoods CHZ22 v2 - I really can’t say enough good things about this bag. The fabrics are gorgeous inside and out. It feels absolutely amazing to the touch. Everything seems thoughtfully designed down to the shape of every pocket and how the bag expands as you fill it up. At first it almost seems like it was tailor made for how I pack, but then I can completely change how and what I pack, and the bag just eats it. No matter how full I pack the bag, every pocket remains as functional and accessible as it is with the bag empty. It’s truly a masterpiece in design. If I had to nitpick one thing I dislike about this bag, it would be the fabric on the shoulder straps. It makes a crinkly sound when you touch it, and has less friction than most, which causes it to slide down my shoulders more than other bags. I find myself having to use the sternum strap more often than I’d prefer due to this.

Patagonia Black Hole 25L - Outdoorsy looks, not great for the office but white people do love Patagonia so it could be OK. Extremely lightweight at 1lb 7oz, losing only to the Osprey’s Arcane Large in this respect. Durable waterproof material for the bag body, though the zippers and some of the seams will let water in if being fully soaked. Lifetime warranty. Nylon webbing down the front which gives you both an additional horizontal grab handle and loops to hang/strap other gear to. Large dual stretch water bottle pockets. Bag is basically just a huge bucket with a huge quick access pocket on top and water bottle pockets. The colorway I have lines the inside with bright yellow making it easy to see all the contents. There is one additional mesh pocket near the top of the bag on the inside. I wish this mesh pocket was a tighter knit mesh to prevent sagging down. I also wish the quick access pocket had a key leash. Despite their fabric feeling and looking kind of cheap, I find the shoulder straps to be extremely comfortable, more than any of the others I’ve tested. It’s a bag. It’s got some compromises but they feel like all the right ones to me. Unfortunately in my opinion it just looks too outdoorsy in the office environment I work in.

Patagonia Mini MLC 26L (2022) - It’s a fantastic travel pack. Like, I cannot imagine a better pack for a week long trip. But the materials just don’t have the premium feel I’m looking for with an EDC pack, and the top quick access pocket sags to an annoying degree when loaded up. This bag holds so much more than 26L namesake suggests. To compare, I can pack for 4 days in the CHZ22. I can pack for 7-10 days with the Mini 26L. I wouldn’t want to use this bag as an EDC but I’m considering keeping as a travel pack, or maybe even getting the full size MLC 45 as a travel pack. I’m not sure it really makes sense to keep both the Evergoods and this one, they’re too close in size and both being backpacks I can’t use them both at the same time.
The straps on this bag are also very uncomfortable on my shoulders when loaded out compared to others I’ve tested. It seems like it’s due to the angle of the straps. They’re almost sewn flat to the bag, and don’t curve to my shoulders well. This is going back to Patagonia.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah I ain’t readin all that

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The hip recommendation (if you have the scratch) are Waterfield bags. I don’t use their backpacks but I’ve used both the Sleevecase and Outback shoulder bag and been very happy with both the style and how they carry.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I do too, would you mind getting rid of it for me?

I can replace it with your old av and text, though the text would have to be from memory, if you want

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You should replace it with a cute kitty cat behind bars.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Tom Bihn Synapse 19

Bought it in 2011 and it’s held up to work, travel, 3 moves across the US, and everything else.
Yeah I spent a long time searching for a solid laptop backpack and ended up paying the import charges to get a Synik 22 shipped to the UK because I just couldn’t find anything else that seemed as universally loved and well made. It’s extremely nice.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Rickshaw canvas manpurses are cool and come in various sizes. Their little backpacks are great too!

All customizable for horrible goontaste too!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 17, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Tom Bihn Synapse 19

I've had a Tom Bihn Synapse 25 for about six years, thing keeps on ticking. I love it.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Well if anyone is interested in buying my least favorite backpack out of the 13 that I tested, it's for sale in SA-Mart

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think trying to buy a single bag for multiple purposes as disparate as your daily commute to the office and light hiking and business trips away is incredibly silly and you’re never going to find a bag that suits all of those purposes without some kind of compromise; even if that’s only making you look extremely silly in at least one of those contexts.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

The Lord Bude posted:

I think trying to buy a single bag for multiple purposes as disparate as your daily commute to the office and light hiking and business trips away is incredibly silly and you’re never going to find a bag that suits all of those purposes without some kind of compromise; even if that’s only making you look extremely silly in at least one of those contexts.

Yes I summarized this in my first paragraph

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
you could hire a porter to follow you around carrying your stuff everywhere for less money than all these backpacks

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feel like a chump with my six year old jansport

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bad Purchase posted:

you could hire a porter to follow you around carrying your stuff everywhere for less money than all these backpacks

I've actually gotten so much free stuff throughout trying out these backpacks that i've made $125. The internet is crazy bro.

Evergoods CHZ22 is the best daily carry backpack on earth though and I'm willing to say this despite there being thousands of other backpacks that i've not yet tested.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2022

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
As a diversion from the gripping topic of backpacks...

If the most intensive task I do is FFmpeg encoding and decoding, is there any real benefit to upgrading the base Studio Max from 24 -> 32 GPU cores?

I also write Python, but I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You can use videotoolbox gpu h264/h265 encoding on the m1 and it is extremely fast but has a huge dip in quality imho. I prefer to encode h265 with cpu and the m1 still performs well with that, but it’s a bit slower.

I use handbrake on a base model Mac Studio

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Brain Issues posted:

I've actually gotten so much free stuff throughout trying out these backpacks that i've made $125. The internet is crazy bro.

Evergoods CHZ22 is the best daily carry backpack on earth though and I'm willing to say this despite there being thousands of other backpacks that i've not yet tested.

Wait, how did you get free stuff??

Have you tried a roll top? I’ve used one of these from North St bags for almost everything you listed and it’s held up great. They make a few models with a bit more space/compartments and beefier straps. https://northstbags.com/collections/everyday/products/davis-daypack

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Way to bury the lede, please share more details on the free backpacks

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'm glad we've moved on from backpacks, so have I. It's time for fanny packs now.

https://imgur.com/a/FGqRDaI

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Since i posted this in the wrong thread already

https://twitter.com/mitchcohen/status/1570718408836108291?s=21&t=lDGnA8JSiEGrIc8f4mWyOg

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Two boat anchors and a slab of wood

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s a nice piece of wood

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
drat I've been sent down a rabbit hole and now I've been looking at a ton of backpacks

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I got this https://www.aersf.com/travel-pack-3-xpac-black recently and it's very good.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TwoDice posted:

I got this https://www.aersf.com/travel-pack-3-xpac-black recently and it's very good.

I was actually considering buying this next for travel to replace my extremely old and busted carry-on roller. Getting another roller instead is probably what I’ll do though.

With a large travel backpack, I will need to find a packable daypack or something in addition because I’m not lugging around something that big everywhere I go. A nice EDC carry backpack (15-25l) and a carry-on sized roller (35-45l) seem like the most optimal two bags to own.

Do you use this for daily carry or just for travel? It’s a huge and heavy backpack.

Edit: i really should stop derailing this thread with backpacks, I didn’t think it would come this far

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 18, 2022

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Brain Issues posted:

I was actually considering buying this next for travel to replace my extremely old and busted carry-on roller. Getting another roller instead is probably what I’ll do though.

With a large travel backpack, I will need to find a packable daypack or something in addition because I’m not lugging around something that big everywhere I go. A nice EDC carry backpack (15-25l) and a carry-on sized roller (35-45l) seem like the most optimal two bags to own.

Do you use this for daily carry or just for travel? It’s a huge and heavy backpack.

Edit: i really should stop derailing this thread with backpacks, I didn’t think it would come this far

I use it for going to the office with yeah, it's not that heavy when it contains just my MacBook and a couple cables and it has a good weight distribution. It has straps on the side to squish it down so it's less thick.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TwoDice posted:

I use it for going to the office with yeah, it's not that heavy when it contains just my MacBook and a couple cables and it has a good weight distribution. It has straps on the side to squish it down so it's less thick.

drat you. Here I go ordering more backpacks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

whalestory posted:

drat I've been sent down a rabbit hole and now I've been looking at a ton of backpacks

I've been looking at dual core/PCI Express G5s.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
A neighbor is throwing out 8 what appear to be Power Mac G5s (I don't know anything about macs). Is there any value to be had in these? I'm not above garbage picking, but the first few ebay results for them are between 40 dollars and 1200, so I'm... Not sure if they're worth grabbing. (I understand they're not actually worth 1200, I promise)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They arent worth too much. People used to like to gut them to put PC's in the cases, but I dont even know if they do that much anymore

If you're keen to resell them, you'll lose your profit in shipping, mostly

They're cool, and if you're interested in G5-era apple, absolutely grab a couple. If you're choosing which one(s) to grab, make sure they have video cards in them, as these era of macs wouldnt take just any old video card, they had to have special mac BIOS'es in thew video card to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Slugworth posted:

A neighbor is throwing out 8 what appear to be Power Mac G5s (I don't know anything about macs). Is there any value to be had in these? I'm not above garbage picking, but the first few ebay results for them are between 40 dollars and 1200, so I'm... Not sure if they're worth grabbing. (I understand they're not actually worth 1200, I promise)

There are definitely aficionados out there eager to grab them, both in vintage Mac camps as well as devotees of weird CPU architectures. I managed to snag one for cheap a while back but found pretty quickly that Tiger/Leopard are very limiting at this point even with Tigerbrew to provide more modern packages, and that big-endian PowerPC Linux suffers from source code breakage since little-endian has comprehensively won. I offloaded it to a friend who’d been hunting one for a while and he was glad for it, and I took it as the kick in the rear end to blow a staggering amount of money on an IBM Power9 workstation, which has been a very capable machine and interesting learning experience at the same time.

It may be worthwhile to keep them from going to a landfill - there’s probably a vintage computer/Mac user group in your area that would take them. Mostly they’re just old - as you wouldn’t expect an Athlon64 to provide a swell experience today, you definitely shouldn’t expect a ton out of a G5 unless it specifically does something a modern computer won’t.