Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Orange team I’ll say Sonja and Grit,

blue team of Lash and Hawke

e: Update! There’s an update on the last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys

Delphisage posted:

Oh hey, you let one of your characters die. I think the last time I remember you allowing that was Danger x 9, which the archive ironically tells me was the same level you made Abelard in. I'd be pleasantly surprised if this trend kept up in the next few levels - though with shorter eulogies.

I was going to cop-out with Dimitri in the megatank but I hadn't taken a death in so long, I figured I should make it actually count. Danger x 9, huh, that's a while ago. I intend to play through the next few levels with fewer restarts than usual - just on account of being a bit busier - so if I play suboptimally we may see a few more die. Hopefully not though!

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Last sticking death prior to now was Minerva, which happened right after Yellow Comet joined and my dude was having his little midlife crisis over getting beat by Rose.

Sami/Eagle and Hawke/Lash. Colors are CP Choice.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah Grit with a carrier has absolutely ridiculous range. Pop your SCOP and you can take down a plane anywhere in the entire world.
It's too bad about his lines, though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

cosmicPostman posted:

And here's the upper half, where everything has gone to poo poo for the blue team and we are going to get rocketed to death. Please place your votes for COs this time around - I'm thinking of not using the Macro Land COs for the blue team at least - the forest movement passive sounds like it'll break this map in half, but hey, it's up to you guys. See you all next time!

Quite right, friend—there really aren't a lot of ways to deal with the upper-left half, apart from using Grit's superior range, or using Woodwalker to crash into them.

That said, Sonja is...actually really good, in this game! Her luck range has been increased from -9-9% to -4-9%—so only 2% less luck on average than others. More importantly, though, she has this:

That is far, far stronger than you think. First of all, even taken at face value, that's the difference between this...

Baseline Attack:

...this...

10% Attack (Hawke):

...and Sonja.

-10% Enemy Defense (Sonja):

That's right, friends. This girl effectively has 15% Attack against anything that's not on a road. She'd hit even harder than Hawke, if not for her ~2% luck penalty! Enhanced Vision also goes on to sap 2 Stars, while Counter Break goes as high as 3 Stars! There is no difference, to a SCOP Sonja, between attacking someone on a City, and attacking someone on a Road. These powers are ridiculously cheap, too—so she enjoys those on top of the global 10/10 stat buff they always give.

But wait!! There's MORE!! See this?

That's Sasha when Sonja's a Main CO, and Sasha when Sonja isn't a main CO.

That's right! Sonja's debuff is global. Her mere presence effectively grants 15% Firepower to every single CO on the field! So for this mission, for example, I like having the red team mostly sit back with Sonja messing the enemy up, while Sasha with her broken skills mops things up and crashes the enemies' CO meters.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

The 4 COs you've used the least. I don't mind if you grind up the Macro Land COs for this though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ChaosStar0 posted:

The 4 COs you've used the least. I don't mind if you grind up the Macro Land COs for this though.

He’d have to do that in War Room.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

AweStriker posted:

He’d have to do that in War Room.

It's not like I play this series. Cosmic's LPs are the only way I experience these games.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright, so with everything I said about Sonja out of the way, here's my vote and suggested skills:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORANGE STAR: Sonja & Javier

BLUE MOON: Sasha (Pathfinder, Woodwalker, and Slam Guard + Shield (20% Defense) & Colin (Star Power, Teamwork (5% Attack to main), & Body Guard (10% Defense to main))
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orange Star should do as little fighting as possible, for multiple reasons.

Most importantly, we want to Market Crash as much as possible, lest we face -2 Damage to all units, halved fuel, AND two turns worth of attacks all at once. In addition, they don't have as strong a force as Orange Star nor can they easily cap an Airport to deploy Bombers with. Thus, Sonja's there so they can still contribute.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fionordequester posted:

Most importantly, we want to Market Crash as much as possible, lest we face -2 Damage to all units, halved fuel, AND two turns worth of attacks all at once.

I think Sasha should be banned from play for this level for that reason. Instead CP should try provoking early CO Power use from Jugger and Drake to avoid getting slammed by a Tag Break.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 20, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I mean, if the game gave her to you on a silver platter, why not take advantage of that? It's not CP's fault she, and Tag Strikes, are both busted.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Hawke/Lash for Orange Star. Even the yield text for this mission has Hawke tell you to do it!

Sami/Sonja for Blue Moon.

I want to see what strategy you choose to complete this mission! By the way, it was good to see a death. Well, not good, but a nice change. RIP.

Anyway, pair-up quote time. There's a lot more now! Luckily we saw Sami/Sonja and Jake/Jess already. Saves me some work!

Jake/Rachel

You sure he's a clone, Rachel? Man, it looks just like his picture...

I can't say for sure... I've never met him in person. But I hear that he's unstoppable in snow. Even with backup, this won't be easy.

Max/Grit

Well, I'll be. Howdy, Max! Ain't seen you in a dog's year. We go way back, but I reckon this is the first time we've been on a tag team.

Yeah, I've got no clue how this'll work out, but what the hey! Let's give it a shot!

Sami/Eagle

Let's go, Sami! With my air force and your infantry, we'll have this wrapped up in no time!

Roger that!

Sasha/Colin

I don't understand, Sis. How could Commander Olaf--

That's not the only mystery. Have you noticed the snow? It's...very odd. This climate isn't cold enough for snow, yet it keeps falling... What's going on?

Grimm/Sensei

With all this snow everywhere, we'll guzzle fuel like crazy! Could give Lightning Grimm a bad name!

You're right. We'll have to plan our movements carefully. But snow? Here, of all places? Hmm...

Jess/Javier

Jess, tell me of this scruff-riddled, frost-bearded commander's skills!

He's a talented CO even at the worst of times, but a real monster in the snow. As long as the white stuff keeps falling, we're going to be at a disadvantage.

Sonja/Lash

Well, if it isn't Sonja... I didn't know you were coming! Hey, I know you're all smart and stuff, and I'm curious about you and all, but... What's the deal? You really want to team up with me?

In many ways, we're a lot alike. But put personal feelings aside for now... I think we're going to hit it off like an exothermic reaction!

Hawke/Lash

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was Olaf himself, Lash.

Tee hee! Yeah, good copy, huh? Everyone's freakin' out, but I'll just keep the facts to myself for a bit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So something I feel like you should know now that it's not relevant.

If you take a stealth fighter, put it on a seam and then put it into stealth.

Nothing can break through as long as it has fuel.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

That's because only Fighters can attack it when it's in Stealth—and there was no way for them to have Fighters.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hey guys, I've been very busy recently, which has kind of knocked the wind out of my sails. As such, I'm gonna miss the updates for today and next Friday and take a bit of me-time to avoid myself burning out this close to the end. My apologies for the delay, and I look forward to seeing you guys shortly!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You're good, man. We've been spoiled rotten with your updates as is. Take the you time you need. We'll still be here to watch the rainbow army kick the cartoon villain brigade's butt when your energy returns.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hey guys, I did promise to be back this week, and whilst I am feeling better, this delay has nothing to do with burnout: Pincer Strike is just kicking my rear end in several different ways. I fear this is going to be one of those maps that requires several attempts - you know my feelings on Fog of War. I've made decent progress and think I have a strategy worked out but I don't think I can get an update recorded, screenshotted, written and posted today. Should be done by next Friday, apologies again!

For those who want the details and don't mind map spoilers: This is a difficult one to pull off deathless because a) the enemy is insanely aggressive and b) gently caress of War. I've had a couple of runs where I was able to get the orange team's megatank up to a chokepoint up north to block off the dangerous enemy units, as well as a couple of runs where I could win the naval battle against the opening gambit of the battleship, cruiser and sub, but not a run where I've managed both yet.

The enemy's ability to find my sub in the reef using the cruiser/sub is absurd, and feels like cheating. I'm thinking I might be able to lure the cruiser/sub into attacking my cruiser instead, which would be detrimental, and preserve my sub's HP for taking on the enemy battleship, but I've not managed to pull that off yet. The blue team, honestly, hasn't been terrible. Wait for Fog of War, move in, destroy the enemy forces with indirects - actually getting a foot unit over the mountains towards the enemy HQ is a much harder job, though, and I've not figured out a way to do that reliably yet.

I'd like to stress that I'm not planning on doing it deathless - if I get a win with like, sub-3 deaths, I'll take it, but even getting to that point isn't easy. The votes gave me Hawke/Lash for orange team and Sonja/Sami for blue team, which is fine, but god I miss Sasha. I'm making progress, though. I have a fairly reliable strat for the first three days - I just need to get the land chokepoint sorted and deal with the enemy ships at sea simultaneously. I'll keep you updated.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I'd say that Pincer Strike is the 2nd hardest mission in the game, next to Crystal Calamity. This result isn't surprising, given that Sasha's off the table.

...Still, I think I could cook up a deathless start for you to use, if it comes down to that. I'd spoil it, then you could glance over and see if you like.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 9, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

There, I did it Deathless, in 5 days. I used your exact CO combinations on their exact sides—and apart from Day 1, it's entirely consistent (if mentally taxing).

Should I give you a vague overview, in the style of what you get in Yield text? Or should I just spell it out, with spoilered pics?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fionordequester posted:

There, I did it Deathless, in 5 days. I used your exact CO combinations on their exact sides—and apart from Day 1, it's entirely consistent (if mentally taxing).

Should I give you a vague overview, in the style of what you get in Yield text? Or should I just spell it out, with spoilered pics?

Neat job if that's true, Fionorde. I don't think the deathless part was necessary, but it does make it even more impressive.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2022

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Fionordequester posted:

A spoilered overview sounds good, I'll give it a look over if my strategies aren't working out. Thanks so much - and nice job!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Neat job if that's true, Fionorde. I don't think the deathless part was necessary, but it does make it even more impressive.

What can I say? I get oddly attached to these fictional characters—I never even let anyone die in Fire Emblem :cheeky: .

cosmicPostman posted:

A spoilered overview sounds good, I'll give it a look over if my strategies aren't working out. Thanks so much - and nice job!

Well then, here you go! Note that I'll subdivide them into days for easier reading, since even a vague descriptor requires some elaboration. The following also assumes Praerie Dog, Woodwalker, and Scout on Hawke (along with the typical Synergies on Lash):

DAY 1:

So first of all, you got really lucky on getting Sami & Sonja on the blue side—they're what make Deathless as achievable as it is, even without Sasha's power. The strat is to intentionally take a lot of damage, drop an Infantry on a good spot, Tag Strike with Sonja in the lead, so Sami can instantly snag the HQ.

But, you need almost the entirety of Orange Star to stay put. Don't do a thing with your naval forces, or your Mega Tank. Have your Recon strike the bottom Rocket, and have everything else but the Mega Tank go up just to keep the Anti-Airs from running...But don't let them actually hit anything after that. At best, you're interfering with Sami/Sonja's Tag Strike—at worst, you're allowing Drake/Jugger to get their Tag Strike.

Finally, you'll want to send the Rocket & APC straight right, out of Rocket & Battleship range. Send the rest of Blue Moon straight down, right into Rocket range (though the Md Tanks should stay on Wood tiles, as they're the most likely targets). This works for Deathless, because the AI will often go for highest total damage, rather than focusing on kills. You'll may need to reset once or twice to bad RNG (Jugger can get wild Luck rolls), but everyone will generally survive, so long as no one's in range of the B-Ship & upper-rightmost Rocket.

DAY 2:

This day is all about popping Drake's Tsunami, so you don't have to deal with an enemy Tag Strike later. You'll also have Blue Moon mopping up most of the bottom enemies, while ensuring that they don't get OHKOed by anything. Typically, you'll have a Rocket & an Artillery near the bottom-right to be wary of—everything else can usually be avoided fairly easily. Be careful to keep your damage restrained—Drake will save his power if he has a half star or so over his regular CO Power requirements.

Also keep advancing your APC right—and have your Neo Tank act as a distraction if you think there's a unit that might die to a Tsunami + Rocket hit.

Finally, you'll want to lure the bottom Md tank towards the lower-left, so it doesn't head into the chokepoint. The idea is to draw it to where you can ram it with a lot of weaker units, like Recons, Mechs, Tanks, and all that. This way you can get the bump you need if you end up lacking

DAY 3:

The fog starts...and that's actually a good thing for this strat. Indirect units can barely see in front of their own nose, and the AI never has a Recon near enough to spot you on this day. You should have two Rockets and an Artillery near the upper-right corner to clear out over the next two days—send over anyone you think is close enough to help, and have the rest stay put near the bottom, to ram themselves into enemies as needed. Keep putting Hawke's APC just in range of the Md Tank. The AI seems to be able to tell where you are, but is also forced to act as though it cannot. Thus, the Md Tank will keep running into the APC, without actually attacking it.

Also be sure your APC is at the very edge of the enemy's vision range—you'll be dropping this Infantry on a Mountain on Day 4.

DAY 4:

The enemy Recon should be close to the chokepoint now, so you need to finish the job. Have Hawke's Recon flush out the Artillery, if needed. Also have the B-Copters ready to unveil all the chokepoint Woods on Day 5—every single one of those will probably have an enemy in it on the next day.

Blue Moon should drop their APC's Infantry on the Hill tile two spaces up from the Shoal tile near the Battleship. That should flush out the Artillery, as it tends to hide in the Forest right next to said Hill (though not always). Put your Artillery three spaces to the left of the upper Woods leading into Blue Moon's landmass—the AI will probably try to hide a unit in there.

Oh, and switch Sonja into the lead—that's important.

DAY 5:

Fill up the rest of your CO Gauges, Tag Strike, have your capturing Infantry go into the lowest Woods, switch to Sami, then cap the HQ!

Beware that I once saw an enemy Mech on top of the HQ on one of my attempts. That doesn't usually happen, but it did once.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 10, 2022

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Fionordequester posted:

What can I say? I get oddly attached to these fictional characters—I never even let anyone die in Fire Emblem :cheeky: .

Well then, here you go! Note that I'll subdivide them into days for easier reading, since even a vague descriptor requires some elaboration. The following also assumes Praerie Dog, Woodwalker, and Scout on Hawke (along with the typical Synergies on Lash):

DAY 1:

[the strategy]

I know exactly what you mean - the main reason I've been so hesitant about letting units die is just how much I love them. I do plan to be a bit more cavalier about it as we approach the endgame - it actually kinda fits with the plot too, and Von Bolt's secret project.

Thanks for the strat - I ended up managing to scuff my way to victory with my strategy after SEVERAL attempts - though mine was nearly three times longer than yours, so look forward to a... very different attempt at the map. I can't promise it'll be nearly as stylish but I think you'll enjoy it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Aha. Well, here's to a positive report :) .

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Part 61 (Battle) - Putting The “Surprise” Into “Surprise Rockets”

Oh, poo poo, it's Advance Wars time again! And this map, well... let's just get started.

Our COs this time are Hawke and Lash for the orange team! Hawke's going to be our main attacker - Lash just has all the synergy skills to buff Hawke up, whilst he has some attack boosts, a skill that gives him a 20% attack boost in the rain, the skill that I don't remember the name of which allows him to ignore forest penalties, and vision +1. They're all going to be pretty handy, since we're facing a forest-full map with upcoming Fog of War.

Sonja and Sami will be our blue team, in the meantime. They don't have skills, but hopefully, they won't need any.

We're all ready. I'm stuck with the blue team up north, whilst Rose and Rachel are with the orange team to come and bail us out.

So, let's get started! Our deployments for today:

Today’s Deployments
Orange Team
Boris, Infantry
Lysander, Infantry
Sofia, Infantry
Ivan, Infantry
Aymil, APC
Darwin, Recon
Dimitri, Tank
Zlata, Medium Tank
Rose, Megatank
Diana, Battle Copter
Fenya, Battle Copter
Lloyd, Battleship
Lena, Cruiser
Selena, Submarine
Adelaide, Lander

Blue Team
Rin, Infantry
Dave, Mech
Alfonse, Mech
Michael, APC
Inessa, Recon
Yakov, Recon
Vanessa, Anti-Air
Von Panzer, Tank
Julian, Tank
Kyril, Medium Tank
Lowell, Medium Tank
Conrad, Neotank
Petra, Artillery
Ingo, Rockets
Lucy, Bomber
Peregrine, Bomber

Lash, if I remember correctly, you specialize in densely forested areas.

Yeah, I'm not too shabby in woods. Any kind of rough terrain, really. Oh, well. I guess it's time to be a good girl and join the battle. Sigh... The ability to invent AND the ability to lead... Being a genius isn't easy.

Perhaps you just aren't cut out for it. I find it quite simple.

Nobody asked you, pipsqueak!

So, orange team's turn, and as per usual with hard maps, time for me to explain the strategy. There's an absolute shitload of things going on in this map, but there's three main goals:

- Rescue the blue team and destroy the rockets threatening them
- Defeat Drake's botes, which will start charging us from the HQ
- Push back against the ground forces until we can capture the HQ

For this, we'll need to divide our forces and make no mistakes; we'll have a Chokepoint Crew, who will be blocking up a chokepoint further north to stop Jugger and Drake's forces from charging into our area, and the Bote Boys, who will be taking on Drake's botes.

First, our ships are bound for the east. Lloyd stops here to threaten these missiles; our copters, Diana and Fenya, have some work to do in that area of the map, and obviously we don't want the missiles to make life difficult for them.

Adelaide waits behind to pick up some foot soldiers, whilst Lena and Selena head off.

"Fighting alongside one another..." Selena says. "That'll be nice."

"Yeah. I just hope we can hold out against Drake. He's said to be unbeatable on the ocean." Lena mutters. "The clone is almost exactly like him... and if the clones are here, then that means..."

"Means what?"

Lena shakes her head. "I don't know much about it, but these CO clones were just one part of Von Bolt's final plan. He also had a secret project, but I never found out what it was. Only Kindle and Koal knew the details. But if the clones are combat-ready now, that suggests the secret project is nearing completion... which can't be good."

"So there were some things that even you weren't trusted with." Selena replies. "Well, let's not worry about that. We have to focus on the here and now, alright?"

"I'm with you, Selena." Lena says. The words feel unfamiliar on her tongue, but she enjoys being able to say them.

The first of our infantry units, Boris, is heading north to nab the base over there. It'll let us deploy things closer to the battlefield. In the meantime, though, we need some units to get into Adelaide's lander, so I deploy Lysander and Sofia.

"You and I in battle together once more, mother. Isn't that nice?" Lysander says, half-sarcastically, half-seriously.

Sofia nods. "Yes, but I'm only here to stop you getting into trouble... we're here to save the blue team from being overrun, not to flirt, alright?"

"Mother, please, what do you take me for? ...I could do both, I can multitask."

Finally, our main forces - the Chokepoint Crew, move out. Rose is leading the way in the goddamn megatank, with Darwin, Aymil and Dimitri following close behind. Our copters, Diana and Fenya, are going to be assisting multiple parts of the battlefield.

"Don't get into too much trouble! You're only in a tank this time, Dimitri; stick behind Rose." Diana says. "I'll come and back you up when I can, but I've got to take care of these orders first."

"Oh, get you gone, Diana." Dimitri replies, sighing with a cheeky grin. "I'll be fine - see you later."

"We have to move quickly - form up." Rose orders. Her eyes seem particularly dark today, and her voice cuts like a knife. "My dude, Sonja and Vanessa - my erstwhile allies - are in danger. We must save them, at all costs."

"Yes, Rose." Aymil says, saluting. "Of course, knowing those guys, they can probably save themselves, don't you think?"

"Not unless we can prevent the enemy from getting reinforcements over there." Rose replies. "I've no doubt that they can take the set of rockets threatening them, but the enemy's forces are great, and we can't let them go around the mountain pass. Now let's move!"

"Rose, yes Rose!" bark the soldiers in unison.

"And Diana, let me know as soon as your orders are done - I need you over here to aid in my plan."

Diana nods, surprised. "Uh, right. I'll be there."

And, with our orange squad beginning to move out, let's check in with the blue team.

Things would be easier if we had more infantry units. I may not be much help...

Don't be so sure, Sami... It should rain in the next three days. We must move our infantry units close to the front lines...

The front lines seem to be "mostly rockets".

After I expand their Fog of War vision, you can overwhelm the enemy! Perfect!

Oh, god, the rain's going to bring Fog of War with it? gently caress me.

Come on, my dude, we've faced Fog of War before. Rose is en route to back us up, so we just need to push forward and meet up with them.

Right, right, let me apply my brilliant tactics to the situation, then. But once the Fog of War starts, I can't promise we'll make it through unscathed.

So... the blue team. They've got a bit of an easier time for the first couple of days.

First thing we do is move our recons, Inessa and Yakov, as far south and east as we can allow - without getting into rocket range, obviously. When the Fog of War hits, I'll need as much vision as possible.

And then we have Ingo, manning the rockets. He's going to be absolutely loving crucial in the next part of the map, but his movement is either 1 or 2 in these trees, so we need to use every point of movement we can get. See that battleship in the lake over there? Firstly, how the gently caress did it get there? This is like that other battleship in the lake that Flak had in AW2. Secondly, it's an absolute bastard, and it needs to die - rockets are the best solution, since direct-combat ground units don't fare well against ships.

And finally, everyone just rearranges themselves to be out of range of the rockets. There's really nothing we can do until the rain - and Fog of War - hits in a few days' time.

One last thing we need to do, though. One of my readers mentioned that Sonja has the power to reduce the enemy's terrain defence stars by 1... but it's a global effect. So long as Sonja is the current CO in control, all COs can reduce the enemy's terrain stars. We need as much damage as we can get, and with the amount of trees and cities and poo poo on this map, it's going to be a huge help.

Cover me!

And thus, Sonja goes into command. Sami won't be very useful until later in the map anyway, so it's not a problem to swap them now.

Let's see what Black Hole's up to today.

Jugger's not very talkative, for starters.

Awaiting orders.

Initiate battle programming...

By your command.

Jugger didn't even say anything funny! This map is truly cursed. Let's finish it as quickly and violently as possible.

You know how this song and dance goes - Black Hole units try to capture some nearby properties.

The botes in the top right come down to meet my botes. A battleship, a cruiser, and a sub - the same setup as us. The only thing determining the outcome will be our strategy, but I think I have a plan - or rather, Rose has a plan.

What next, then?

Well, the most annoying thing is that the enemy missiles ran away from Lloyd. Unfortunately, all I can really do is put him in range of them again - at least with them moving out of the way, it means my copters can move in closer.

Like so! The botes, in the meantime, prepare to face the enemy around the reefs to the east.

Sofia hops into Adelaide, whilst Lysander watches. Infantry management isn't super important here, since we can't move Adelaide until the rain hits - you'll see where she's bound later.

More infantry! This time it's Ivan, to back up Boris.

Speaking of Boris, he's arrived at the base. We'll have that captured soon, which is nice.

Some of the rockets in the northern area moved around, so I have to be careful of advancing the Chokepoint Crew, or they might get utterly slaughtered.

This setup should work nicely - the only thing in range of the enemy's Neotank and medium tank is Rose, in a megatank. And yeah, trust me, they don't want to try that.

Now for the blue team.

That was the blue team.

No, seriously - the rockets mean that I can't really move anyone forward, so all we can do is wait for the rain to hit, and then begin advancing forwards.

But first, Black Hole probably have annoying poo poo that they want to do.

Uuuuurgh. Another few buildings captured.

This Dick Captures A Property: 52

The botes start moving in, as does the enemy's megatank, which is almost at the chokepoint - see where the road leading to the enemy HQ begins, at the neutral city? That road tile just above the neutral city is a chokepoint blocking off that entire part of the map. We can't let the enemy forces move past that point, if we can help it.

Oh, and this loving Neotank decided to try and attack Rose...

"I don't think so." Rose says, a thunderous expression on her face. "Nothing will stop me from eradicating the enemy."

The botes finish heading down, and a few anti-airs decide to back up the megatank on their pilgrimage to the chokepoint. We've got our work cut out for us if we want to stop them moving any further down.

Hee hee. They're so round.

It's a bit annoying that Drake's back in control, since I may end up fighting his botes this turn. Ah well - we'll just have to deal with it.

And then everything loving disappears, and the map's quality drops off a cliff. Yep, that's right, it's Fog of War time.

It's raining!

This is no mere squall! It is like standing beneath a thundering waterfall!

This is more than a little inconvenient. We can't see a thing.

God drat it. Where's my transceiver...there it is. Hey, Rach, you on track to save our asses?

I'm working on it! Hang in there, blue team!

We're doing nothing BUT hanging!

Looks like the Fog of War is rolling in. But we can turn that to our advantage if we use the woods wisely...

Wait, you want to advance?

It's our best option, Vanessa. We can sneak through the trees and destroy the enemy's defences, and meet up with Rose and the orange team as they attack from behind. The enemy think they're trapping us in a pincer, but actually, we can crush them from both sides.

I don't like it, but you're right. Sonja, you'd BETTER be as good at Fog of War as you say you are.

You know I am, Commander my dude. Let's begin.

Time to move up, then. Thanks to ignoring forest penalties, we can park Rose right here in this set of trees, ready if needed.

The additional vision is a godsend, too - Dimitri spots the enemy further ahead. We'll need a recon to keep a better eye on them, but Darwin is still catching up; you'll need to give him a second.

Boris nabs that base, too.

"Got the base, boss. You'd better not be screwin' anything up over there." he reports to Dimitri, who shakes his head.

"Me? Nah. Me and Rose have this under control, Boris - just tell Zlata to get over here when she's ready to deploy."

"I'm not your go-between..." sighs Boris, but he nods in agreement and prepares to head back to the HQ.

Once I move Darwin further north, I can find the pesky missiles. If they won't sit in range of Lloyd, then they can die to Diana.

Fenya, meanwhile, parks herself on this chokepoint - this blocks off the bottom part of this island, with the comm towers and port, from the enemy. Which is good, because we need those. The gently caress is Black Hole gonna do with a port, deploy MORE botes? Nonsense.

Lloyd, Selena and Lena prepare for the oncoming enemy. Selena dives, to ensure she can safely pick off the battleship once it shows up. They're hidden in reefs, so it'll take at least one of the enemy ships' turns to reveal the girls.

Ivan does some capturing with Boris, whilst Lysander joins Sofia in the lander, ready to set sail with Adelaide to the island across the way.

Just like that - they'll be capturing the buildings around here, and it's why we needed Fenya. Our infantry would otherwise be in danger of getting mauled by a rogue medium tank or something.

And that's how we all shape up for the time being.

Now let's see what the blue team can do, under the cover of rainfall.

For this turn, at least, the answer is "walk forwards slowly". God, I hate forests limiting my movement. Ingo can only move one space through forests! But he's getting inevitably closer to that battleship, which is the important thing.

"Is this really gonna work?" Dave says.

"I'm soaked through - I hope it does." Alfonse replies, glancing through the trees. "I can't see the rockets through the rain... if one gets a lucky shot at us..."

"Don't worry about that." Dave replies grimly. "Ain't gonna happen."

Black Hole now have to deal with the rain, too, which is nice.

This medium tank goes speeding into the forest over there. That would be a good hiding spot, but I just saw the tank go in there, so... yeah. Not a great play by old Drakey-boy.

The megatank shows up, but doesn't advance beyond the chokepoint! Woo!

The rockets - or rather, surprise rockets now, since we're in Fog of War - start wandering around, looking for the blue team. Thankfully, they can't get through the forests particularly well, so we remain undiscovered... and the enemy is open to a crushing counterattack next turn.

The enemy sub locates Lena, which I think is fine, up until I realise that the loving battleship has her in its sights.

"I heard a battleship firing!" Selena says, gasping. "LENA! GET OUT OF THERE!"

"I can't retreat in time - there's a sub on my tail." Lena says, wincing as she realises what a bad position she's in. "But don't worry. Until I repay my debt to you and the Allied Nations..."

"I refuse... to die!"

"Well, well!" roars Lloyd appreciatively. "I like your spirit, lass! You really are Madam Director, aren't ye?"

"Thank goodness, Lena..." Selena sighs. "I was worried for a moment there. Now then, I have something to attend to, if you'll excuse me."

Lena looks at the ocean waves, where her sister's submarine lurks somewhere, and holds the transceiver up to her mouth carefully. "And what's that?"

"Sending these miserable boats, who thought they could hurt you, to the bottom of the ocean!"

All systems, go.

And Jugger's back - that's probably better right now. Drake's botes have superior defences, and that's not ideal when I have several botes I need to murder horribly.

And would you look at that, it's the orange team's turn again. Time to get a-murderin'!

Selena makes a start on this motherfucker, bringing them down to 2 HP, and taking minor damage in return. You might be thinking that this is an inherently risky play - Lena can finish it off from where she is, but one of the black boats will still reveal her location to the battleship.

Thankfully, there's another reef over here that I can hide in, and I'm making a call that the battleship isn't in range of this one. Lena finishes the submarine off!

"One down, two to go." Selena says. "Lloyd, do you have the cruiser under your control?"

"Aye, I've moved into position, and I'll blow it to kingdom come shortly. You two just focus on the battleship!"

"Will do." Lena says. "I'm not gonna let that battleship get away with this..."

The infantry units who landed at the island, Sofia and Lysander, start capturing. Lysander is en route to the port, whilst Sofia goes for the nearby comm tower. That'll help boost our damage, too.

And back home we get a few more properties, too - we don't really need money. After all, we have enough money...

...for a medium tank, my beloved.

It's Zlata! Dimitri's beloved.

"Hey, Dimitri, you said you needed backup?" Zlata asks. Rose's voice comes up on the transceiver.

"Yes, and right away. A little more firepower is needed to hold this chokepoint and eventually push through. Meet us up north as soon as you can."

"Well," Dimitri says, chuckling. "You heard the lady. Hop to it, dearest."

"Alright, alright, I'm on my way!" Zlata replies with a grin as her tank rolls out of the base, ready to move.

Now, with Zlata coming to back up the northern group, I don't really need Dimitri here anymore, so he's going to play hide and seek down here.

Oh my god! A surprise medium tank! How on earth did that get over ther-just shoot it already, Fenya.

Our good pal Darwin is going to install himself in this nice little nook here. Any unit that we put on the city next to him will block the enemy off from attacking him, so he can do his reconaissance in relative peace.

Darwin spots some enemies up ahead, and lifts up his tablet - a gift from the Green Earth COs, allowing him to send messages to his commanding officers through writing rather than forcing him to speak. He writes out everything he sees using a tablet pen: 'Some tanks ahead, megatank at the front. Anti-airs nearby, but don't seem to be moving forward. A copter would be best recommended to block off the chokepoint.'

"I trust you received the same report, Hawke." Rose says, scanning the notes.

"I did. Do we follow the recommendation? It seems sound." Hawke observes.

"I already planned to - Diana, it's time to move in." Rose says over the transceiver. "Move as quickly as you can - we're against the clock!"

"Moving in!" Diana says. "A megatank... now there's an awful sight coming out of the rain."

"I wouldn't worry. That thing will perish in a hail of battleship fire soon enough." Rose says confidently.

Diana takes her position, but doesn't attack. She's just there to prevent anything from getting past, and it's a pretty good way to do it.

So (readers, correct me if I'm wrong) in AW, the AI doesn't get affected by Fog of War, and always knows where your units are. However, they still can only attack hidden units once they find them, by putting something with enough vision to spot them nearby. So, can you see what the cool strategy here is? I'll explain it once it becomes relevant later.

Either way, Rose moves in, alongside Aymil in the APC. He's got a very important role, which is "resupply everyone after Drake's SCOP hits and halves their fuel".

Time for that devastating counterattack I mentioned last time, anyway. We need to get through as many of these rockets as we can.

Kyril and Lowell, our medium tanks, are ready for a fight. Kyril charges forward to take on the rockets here - I mean, if we can attack them from the safety of the forest, why not?

Ingo continues his slow, inevitable movement towards the battleship. Once he moves forward enough, his rocket range will cover that whole pond, so the battleship will have nowhere to run.

Conrad, down south, Neotanks an artillery in the face and deletes it from existence.

I do have to move Lowell out of cover to take this artillery out, but I think it's worth it. You'll see why.

Because these rockets are in Petra range.

"Got 'em!" Petra says.

"Nice one, Petra." Conrad replies, but Petra doesn't respond. She thinks about the kiss, and her cheeks begin burning, and she shuts off communications.

Conrad just sighs. "drat it..."

Vanessa moves in to finish off the rockets.

And there we go! It looks like we've overextended a little down below, but remember - ranged units don't have very good vision at all, and the enemy has no recons to find my units. As such, the rockets aren't going to be able to fire on anyone this turn, since it has no idea that anyone's nearby.

Look at how close these two were to getting their Tag Power, also - remember how I didn't shoot that megatank with Diana? This is why. We need an extra turn of setup before we're in a good position to deal with their Tag Power.

Now let's get on with the other fun thing I did this turn.

Yes, yes, you as well. Hurry up.

This Dick Captures A Property: 53

The medium tank, helplessly trapped, decides to shoot Dimitri, but it doesn't end very well for it.

The enemies at the chokepoint, meanwhile, get the gently caress out of dodge. Why, you ask?

As I said earlier, the enemy needs to "discover" you in Fog of War, and then another unit needs to shoot you. With the chokepoint, Diana could only be attacked from one space - directly above her - and thanks to everything having 1 vision, an enemy unit would need to be adjacent to her to "discover" her, at which point, they're taking up the only space that she can be fired at from. As such, they've just headed off to do other poo poo.

Also swapping, I guess. That's annoying - they're guaranteed to get their Tag Power this turn, I'm pretty sure, since I have to take out those botes threatening my botes.

Well, if we're dealing with a Tag Power, let's do the usual "kill them so hard that they have nothing left to kill you with" manoeuvre, shall we?

We get a comm tower! This is actually really important, and I will explain why in a moment.

This is not as important, but sure, more money.

Fenya attacks this medium tank. "I'm not going to allow you to hurt Dimitri! Dimitri's Mercenaries... stick together." Fenya announces as she opens fire.

BOOM! This kill is luck-reliant, but very, very welcome. It means the medium tank is no longer a factor in the battle, and can't murder my infantry down south during the Tag Power.

Now, there's a battleship in these reefs somewhere, if my prediction is correct. I can move Lena to this position to uncover 2 of the reefs, which is more than 1, so it seems like the best position.

BOOYAH! Now I don't have to waste Selena's turn looking for the drat thing, and instead...

I can just outright kill it, if I get a little lucky...

"I couldn't protect my sister before... but I can now! My aim is perfect!" Selena cries, opening fire on the battleship, and sinking it with a single salvo of underwater torpedoes.

If I hadn't captured the comm tower at the start of the turn, Selena would only do 88% to the battleship, which is never a kill, so that's why it's important that we did that first. We need this battleship gone, like, yesterday.

Lloyd takes the cruiser without breaking a sweat, meanwhile. That's the naval portion of the battle done!

The only thing we need to do now is have Lysander capture this port - Drake's SCOP, as I said earlier, halves our fuel, which could be ruinous for Selena. The main reason we need this port is simply to refuel her so that she doesn't sink and die before the battle ends. Keeping units alive isn't just about dealing with the enemy - when it comes to subs and planes, fuel is a serious concern on longer maps.

Dimitri moves over here to block off the infantry from approaching Lysander and Sofia. This is why killing the medium tank is great - Dimitri can't block off the medium tank without, you know, "dying", but he can survive against the infantry no problem.

Zlata catches up with the crew up north and prepares for a storm.

Blue team will be doing the same thing - murdering enough dudes that Drake and Jugger basically have nothing to work with. Let's hope it pays off!

First, these remaining ranged units need to go. Von Panzer...

...and Julian team up to destroy the artillery. Next, the rockets.

Dave charges forward and does huge damage to the rockets, but he's just shy of a kill.

Our lovely recon, Inessa, can finish the job. "Alright, Dave, let me take it from here! Heheh, fighting alongside you is a real honour!"

"Pleasure's mine, kid." Dave replies, nodding. "Watch yourself - there might be more things in the fog."

Whew, more rockets down. gently caress surprise rockets--now we're the surprise.

Is that the last of them, my dude?

W-wait, not quite! Hold on!

Oh, there's NEVER an end to surprise rockets, is there?

And indeed, Vanessa remembers the surprise rockets down below, just hiding out in a forest.

gently caress these rockets in particular, Conrad.

Rin's been hanging out inside Michael's APC most of this battle, but I do want to move her vaguely in the direction of the HQ to try and capture it. I drop her off across the mountains, and... discover a mech hiding in the forest. That's not ideal.

drat, and Kyril can't take them out. Those defence stars sure are annoying...

And then I remembered that Sonja's CO Power makes her -1 defence stars into -2 defence stars - thus negating the effect of the forest for the mech. That might be enough for a kill!

You are a lot stronger than me. But...

You didn't account for medium tanks, son!

Excuse me--this is my CO Power.

Right, sorry, yes. Got caught up in the moment.

I SEE EVERYTHING NOW.

To be fair, most things are dead, so this doesn't help much. But that defence star reduction is absolutely huge!

I mean, look at this. Absolutely insane damage! On a forest!

And again, we don't need to worry about the battleship. With the mech gone, the only thing it can "see" is Rin, and it can't fire at 1-range, so it's pretty harmless for the duration of this Tag Power. Let's just hope that everything else is equally as harmless...

Oh boy.

You're certain you can survive THIS, Rose?

Hmph. I have planned for every eventuality. Watch and learn.

Here it comes! Drake first, which is bad.

Drake does 2HP damage to all of our units and halves their fuel. He also summons rain, but that's kind of a moot point on this map.

His units, however, gather up next to Diana and then... don't attack. That's a good start!

This infantry marches south, but can't even fire on Dimitri safely, and so chooses not to. A wise decision, infantry. You will live another day.

All systems, go.

Jugger's turn next. His extra damage could be trouble against my weakened units, which is why Drake going first is bad, but it's fine, we'll deal with it. He also has a chance to do fuckall damage, so he's not that dangerous.

This tank bothers Diana a bit...

...but she shrugs it off.

"Hah! Call that damage?" she asks. "I've felt worse on my most dangerous missions with Wanda! If you really want to break me, you'll have to bring worse than that!"

The infantry, feeling emboldened by Jugger's potential higher damage, goes for Dimitri, but as expected, does-

"Gaah!" Dimitri says, as the infantry lands several lucky shots that burst through crucial segments of his tank. "I'm not giving in just yet... but I swear, you're gonna die! If not by me personally, then by Dimitri's Mercenaries!"

"Dimitri, you OK?!" Zlata gasps.

Dimitri gasps in pain, but nods. "Yeah... yeah. Bastard got a lucky shot, that's all. You focus on your end! I'll be fine."

And thus, we are damaged, and low on fuel, and surrounded by Fog of War...

But we survived the first Tag Power, and rescued our blue team from their precarious position. Next time, we finish off that annoying loving battleship, push ahead into the enemy's territory, and hopefully nab that HQ without eating a second Tag Power or having anybody die! See you next week, all!

Part 62 (Intermission) - The Biggest Girl’s Night

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Yep, this map is a long one. It's a real slog if you do it the 'right' way.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Man I hate this mission. What a slog.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

cosmicPostman posted:

Drake's botes have superior defences, and that's not ideal when I have several botes I need to murder horribly.

Drake changed from last game, he now has ofensive buffs for his botes instead of defense and movement buffs from the last games. That's how things got really hairy for Lena.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Level Seven posted:

Drake changed from last game, he now has ofensive buffs for his botes instead of defense and movement buffs from the last games. That's how things got really hairy for Lena.

Apparently it's the same for Eagle here? Did they seriously take away Eagle's unique mechanics to make him a basic 120/100 air unit CO?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Apparently it's the same for Eagle here? Did they seriously take away Eagle's unique mechanics to make him a basic 120/100 air unit CO?

Huh...Yeah, turns out I was wrong about Eagle's air units having buffed Defense as well. They lost 10% Defense in exchange for 5% firepower...

Though, I'll remind you that he still moves twice for only three stars (in a game where stars charge faster than ever before), and also has 90/100 naval units instead of 70/100. With all those buffs, something had to go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

...Sadly, they were not so generous with Drake. I tested a B-Copter on Black Boat with both Jugger & Drake in charge, and confirmed that it did the exact same amount of damage. Drake's boats are now 120/100 instead of 100/110... Though in exchange, his air units are also 90/100 instead of 70/100. I guess they tried to make up the difference by making his CO Powers cause Fog of War...except, his units are affected by it as much as everyone else. Thus, his powers can actively hinder him if he uses it while, say, fighting a lot of units on forests.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 17, 2022

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Defense boosts aren't the only things Eagle and Drake lost from the GBA, though. Eagle had a reduced fuel consumption for air units that let copters stay stationary without fuel loss, and Drake had +1 move for all naval units that let them manoever better.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Delphisage posted:

Defense boosts aren't the only things Eagle and Drake lost from the GBA, though. Eagle had a reduced fuel consumption for air units that let copters stay stationary without fuel loss, and Drake had +1 move for all naval units that let them manoever better.

Half true. Eagle still has his fuel consumption:

I've also verified that the game text was correct.

However, you're correct regarding Drake. Though, I would argue that 20% increased firepower for air units (relative to how he was in AW2) is a big enough boost to offset that. Naval units suck that much.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's been so long since I've done this map without blue equipping forest walker and just zeroing the hell out of the map.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Part 63 (Battle) - Never Trust A Tank To Do A Bomber’s Job

Hey there, gang! It's time for Let's Play Advance Wars Dual Strike!

If you recall, last time, my dude and the blue forces were saved from a rockety death by Rose, leading the orange team, and now, having successfully survived the enemy's Tag Power, it's time to advance on their HQ and finish this map off.

The first thing we need to do is murder everything that I don't like, which we will be doing for basically the rest of the map.

This guy nearly killed Dimitri, so I certainly don't like him. Fenya kills him real good.

So, now we're in a bit of a pickle. Selena's on 9 fuel, and though she can rise this turn to spend 1 fuel per turn instead of 5, she's 5 spaces away from the port, and I can't capture it this turn since Drake used his Super CO Power.

It's going to be tight, but we can actually sort Selena out - all thanks to Hawke. First, we just need to do a teensy bit more damage...

OK, that's a fuckload more damage, but sure, that'll do. Diana moves out of the way and lets Rose absolutely obliterate this poor enemy tank.

So, clone Drake did 2HP damage to all my units, did he? Thank god for Hawke, then...

You leave me no choice.

Because I have the great equaliser.

BLACK. STORM.

The ensuing damage spreads across all of the enemy units...

...and all of my units are healed for 2HP - the exact amount of damage they took from the Super CO Power. And crucially...

I CAN capture the port with Lysander this turn, since he's back to full HP. Our ships are safe - but by god, that was loving close.

"Port's captured, gals." Lysander says, turning up the charm. "You can come in and get yourselves repaired and fuelled up. Maybe we can chill together-"

"Thanks, Lysander. I'll move in and refuel, then head north." Selena commands, completely ignoring Lysander's advances. "Lena, you alright for now?"

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." Lena says. "Don't sink yourself on my behalf - go refuel."

Selena moves in, and not a moment too soon.

Sofia continues wandering around capturing things. It's the only thing left for her and Lysander to do, really - that comm tower and the port were the most crucial parts of this operation, and that's done now.

My Chokepoint Crew, who are now going to move north into the enemy's range, need a new name. Meet the Wall Of Death - the units that are going to slowly advance on the foe and run over everything until we get to the HQ or die trying. We'll get started on that next turn.

It's time for the blue team to shine! With all the rockets dealt with last time, the only thing left to do here is murder the poo poo out of this goddamn battleship.

Yeah, you. gently caress you. Ingo fires on the battleship.

4HP is still a bit threatening. Let's soften it up with Lowell.

...Or not. God drat it, Lowell.

I've moved some of my more important units onto cities to heal and refuel, since the blue team don't have a Hawke to heal them. The plan for the blue team is now twofold - the tanks and suchlike are heading south, around the mountains, to join up with the orange team and help in pushing forward. Meanwhile, Rin, the infantry up north, is going to be hopping over these mountains and gunning it for the HQ, once I've killed everything within the vicinity. Dave, the mech, and Michael, the APC, will be helping out.

And, since the "murder everything in Fog of War" segment of the map is over, and the "send an infantry to capture the HQ" segment has begun...

Leave it to me! I'll work something out!

Sami's time to shine. I'll miss Sonja's map-wide support effect, but eh, we're at the advantage now that we've beaten the enemy back, so it's not as crucial that we have it.

Let's see what Black Hole wants to do now. Run? Like little bitch babies?

Well, as always, they're going to try capturing things. It's another benefit of using Black Storm this turn - we can stop this infantry from getting a rather annoying base.

The rest of the enemy... actually do run like little bitch babies. Huh. Didn't expect them to listen to me.

And with that, their turn is over. Nobody wanted to even try taking on Rose in a megatank, which is fair enough. I'd think twice about fighting Rose in a megatank.

Back to us! And, thanks to the enemy getting the gently caress out of dodge, we have a great opportunity to press our advantage and move in.

So hey, gently caress it, let's do that! Charging blindly into the fog always works out!

First things first, though, some management to do down here. Capturing some more things with Sofia and Lysander, first.

Y'know, I'm pretty sure there's an artillery around here somewhere, too. That could be a problem if left un-murdered, so I send Dimitri north to-

gently caress

...Welp, Dimitri found it.

Fenya murders it in the meantime. Well, she mostly does, anyway.

"Thanks, Fenya. rear end in a top hat just popped up out of nowhere..." Dimitri grunts. "Wonder how Diana and my girl are holding up?"

Fenya lifts her transceiver as she finishes firing on the artillery. "I'm sure they're fine. They'll let us know if they need backup, but they have Rose, so..."

"Yeah, I guess we don't need to worry." Dimitri replies, grinning.

Selena moves into the port, and I breathe a sigh of relief. 3/60 fuel. Selena, why do you always do this to me?

Rose goes for the megatank, ready to kill it in a single mighty blow.

...I said, "ready to kill it in a single mighty blow".

Rose shrugs. "This was to be expected. I want the megatank to run."

"You do?" Aymil asks.

"Indeed. The enemy will waste 5600 funds repairing it, and whilst it's going back to the enemy properties up north, it gives us time to deal with the medium tanks and other forces." Rose explains. "I have already made preparations for the megatank's destruction - don't worry."

"No need for that, Rose, I can take care of it here and now!" Diana says, charging forward. Rose gasps.

"No, Diana, wait-"

As Diana flies towards the megatank, a terrifying unit comes trundling out of the fog, and she goes white. "Wait, that's..."

"...an anti-air unit." Rose finishes. "It could kill you in a single round of fire. This wasn't in the plan - you must follow orders, Diana!"

"I'm sorry, I just-" Diana says fiercely. "Rrgh! I got too heated, I just charged in. What do I do?"

"I might have an idea..." Rose mutters. She lifts her transceiver. "...my dude? My dude, come in..."

Zlata, in the meantime, moves in to destroy the enemy mech. We really, really don't want them to have more than one base to deploy things. Ideally, they'd have none, but I don't think that's reasonable to expect. I've also refuelled Rose with Aymil - this gives her 3 shots on the enemy phase, which should be enough to clear out anything that dares to attack her.

Lloyd, who's still in decent shape fuel-wise, moves in to keep the artillery in his range. It might have survived Fenya, but it's not going to survived being battleship'd into oblivion.

Darwin moves up to give us an idea of what we're looking at, and yeah... a metric poo poo-ton of guys. We have our work cut out for us, that's for sure.

We'll have to trust in Rose's plan for now. Meanwhile, the blue team gets a turn!

And finally, at long last, Ingo puts paid to this godforsaken battleship in a pond. Get sunk, punk!

My dude! Come in!

Rose? What d'you need, kid?

Diana's gotten herself into a...troublesome situation. But if I know you, then I know you're moving your units towards the edge of the mountains to back us up, is that right?

Yeah, Rin's heading over the mountains up north to nab the HQ, and the tank squad's coming round near where your chokepoint was. How does that help?

I've send some co-ordinates to you - do you have a ranged unit in range of them?

Uh, yes! Petra's right next to that area, actually. You want her to make a shot in the dark?

Do it, my dude. It's our only chance of saving Diana.

Way ahead of you. Petra! Get these co-ordinates and prepare to make the shot of your life, kid!

Petra's time to shine. She aims her controls carefully, preparing to launch an artillery shot over the mountains, into the fog.

"One of our friends is in danger. And it doesn't matter who it is, if they're in the Allied Nations, then we'll do everything we can to protect them! Here... we... GO!"

The shot rings true, and the transceiver crackles with voices moments afterwards.

"It's weakened! Half the squad was wiped out!" Diana cries victoriously.

"Excellent. You can survive that now, Diana - just take care." Rose replies.

"Woo! I'm so glad I could help!" beams Petra.

"Nice shot, my god..." breathes Conrad.

Petra's cheeks flush and her hand slips on the artillery controls. "Oh, um... thanks, Conrad!"

Now it's time to get our tanks moving - Lowell heads down to catch up with the rest of the crew. The forest slows the blue team down a bit, but it's fine, we'll get there soon enough.

Black Hole, meanwhile, can no longer murder Diana, which I'm sure they find very irritating.

They send another goddamn infantry to this base to try and capture it, which I find very irritating.

The anti-air still goes for Diana, but thanks to Petra's chip damage...

...she comes out of it pretty well. Thank god for that!

With her copter damaged and smoking, Diana turns her sights towards the fog ahead of her. "I'm all good... just need to beat a retreat now. Thanks for everything, Rose, Petra."

Then a bunch

of motherfuckers suicide

into Rose's megatank

Rose nods. "A good use of the cannon ammo. I'm all out now, though..."

"And there's another tank coming your way!" frets Zlata. "Rose, it's firing - you might need to retreat!"

And thus, the cannon opens fire on Rose's weakened megatank...

"This machine is truly unmatched. On the edge of defeat, with no ammo, it still withstands even the mightiest blows. I understand why Abelard made his choice now... behind the wheel of the megatank, you feel like a fortress, behind which every single one of your allies will be protected." Rose says. "But I won't go down just yet. Not until everyone is safe. Not until every last foe has broken themselves upon my tank's defences!"

Is there anything else in the fog, ready to take the kill on Rose..?

Oh thank god, they don't have anything else. Rose lives another day!

I mean, she'd have lived anyway, but it's the principle.

Now then, let's keep pushing forward and make these assholes regret being born.

Rose makes a retreat, which is probably wise. She needs to heal up - she's done all she can.

And Lloyd fucks up this artillery with a rather overkill amount of damage.

With Selena all refuelled, I'm now just swapping in each of my ships to get their fuel back, too. Thankfully, none of them are in a worse condition than Selena was, at least.

And we finish off some more captures! Lysander and Sofia have nabbed another comm tower, giving our northern troops some more firepower. That's always handy.

This mech also gets shot by Zlata, just like the last one did. You'd think at some point, they'd learn their lesson about trying to capture this base.

With everything basically done down south, I move Fenya up across the ocean, whilst Dimitri and his mercs, Boris and Ivan, head north to capture a few things and just provide general backup. Dimitri probably wants to heal on a property for a bit first, though. A 3HP tank is going to achieve too much.

The blue team is also going to be doing mostly catchup, so let's get on with that.

Rin gets dropped off on the mountain, having freshly healed up from the city last turn. She's out of range of that mech over there, so she should be fine.

The forests look very tempting, but if Rin runs into an enemy unit and gets herself killed, well, firstly, the thread would be very sad, and secondly, winning the map becomes way more of a hassle. Best to hold her back until I know for sure where the Black Hole units are hiding out.

Dave, the mech, grumbles as he wipes the rain out of his eyes. "God, this is a real drag. You holding up OK, Rin?"

"Of course!" Rin replies. "Reminds me of stormy days out at sea... I kinda like the rain! Maybe not when it's this heavy, though."

"No kiddin'. Just be ready to move ahead - and don't do anything I wouldn't do, alright? I want you to stay safe."

"You got it, Dave. Nothing you wouldn't do." Rin replies, a secret smile gracing her lips.

Alfonse makes a start on capturing the airport down south. Once we get this, it is literally over for Black Hole; the 8 days of not having anything to deploy means that we've amassed a fair amount of funds, which will be immediately spent on as many bombers as we can handle.

The tank crew have made more progress, and the first of our tanks joins the orange squad on the front lines - Conrad, in the Neotank!

"Hey, I'm here." Conrad says. "I'll deal with anything the enemy's got lined up. I'm not gonna lose!"

"Good!" Zlata replies. "I've engineered my tank to perfection - between us, we could probably even take a megatank!"

Well, let's hope that Black Hole only has one of those, and that it's still going back to the HQ to heal up.

We're all good - the most dangerous thing they have is this medium tank, which does decent damage to Conrad, but he can take it, so I'm not too bothered.

Well, OK, the tank was not part of the plan, but he can deal with that too.

5HP left. gently caress me, Conrad, you were on full HP at the start of this turn.

Time to counterattack, then - there's more dipshits hidden in the fog, but between me and Rose, we should be able to predict where they're all going to be lurking. I am a little concerned about how full the enemy's CO Meters are becoming again. One Tag Power was rough enough - two would be bullshit.

I'll worry about that later. First, how do I take out this medium tank..?

Rose turns her tank around, shaking her head. "Actually... I won't step back just yet. If we're to win this, every unit must contribute their all, no matter the damage. Am I understood, Diana?"

Diana, in her smoking battle copter, stares at her barely-functional navigation system, and looks up at the swirling mass of fog and tanks ahead of her. She gives a strange, eerie grin, reminded of her days performing suicidal plans for Wanda - but this time, she knows she'll survive.

"You're fully understood, Rose. Let's do it!"

Diana fires on the medium tank, doing enough damage to finish it off. Woo!

Diana discovers an artillery in the fog, which Zlata can move over to and quickly murder. Thank GOD for Pathfinder.

On Rose's orders, Lloyd moves as far north as he can. You'll see why later on - our other botes are done with their jobs, but Lloyd has one more thing left to do.

I send Fenya up to join Lloyd, too - with Aymil between them, they can both be refuelled, which they kinda needed.

This allows us to discover an anti-air lurking in the fog with like no HP. I send Darwin over to make it extinct.

And hey, wouldn't you know it, it's our old friend megatank!

Let's get the blue team up here, too. We can all hide in the forests and wait for the optimal conditions to charge at Black Hole's HQ.

I guess there's this tank also, I should probably kill him. Von Panzer can take care of business.

Airport get! Y'all already KNOW what's coming next.

This mech's getting all up in my business, though, so Rin hops back into Michael. There's another good reason that I want to do this.

Ingo can move in and murder the mech once it gets closer. I mean, they're going to run out of mechs eventually, right?

Kyril, Von Panzer and Vanessa have caught up to Conrad, and they charge ahead. Lowell and Julian are catching up, but again, the forest is being a bitch.

This might look dangerous, but take a close look at Clake's CO Meter - it's not quite full. As always, I play risky games with CO Meters.

And in the meantime, Black Hole...

...do nothing of note. If you look behind the overlay, we've just found some infantries that have popped out of hiding, and that's basically it.

gently caress it - murder time. Lloyd makes this megatank regret ever existing, and I am grateful - a Tag Power sounds much more survivable now that the enemy's heaviest hitter is reduced to smithereens.

You ever think about how weird a word 'smithereens' is?

My dude! You need to focus.

It's not even the blue team's turn!

OK, let me rephrase: my dude--I need to focus.

Anyway, Ivan is capturing a property.

The troops are rearranged like so - if the enemy does discover any of our units during the Dual Strike, I'd like them to be our highest-HP units, so all damaged units are shunted to the back. We should be fine in this formation.

The blue team's got to bear the Tag Power in mind, too - let's get rid of anything that could be an issue.

Like this fucker. Ingo surprise-rockets him in the face.

"drat, he held out..." Ingo mutters. "He's using the mountains for cover - I can't get a good shot, and that's before you account for this drat rain."

Dave clambers the mountainside towards the enemy mech, preparing his bazooka. "On it, Ingo - he ain't gonna survive this!"

And he doesn't! Dave gets rid of the biggest threat to Rin. I'm still keeping her in Michael for this turn, though - that way, she avoids the damage from Clone Drake's Clone Tidal Wave.

The enemy's definitely going to hit us hard when that Tag Power activates. But we have one advantage that they sorely lack...

BOMBERS!!

We deploy- well, you already know who it is. Lucy Ophelia Maxwell!

"Ready for battle!" Lucy shouts. "Mountains? Rain? Hordes of Black Hole soldiers? I'll take it all on!"

"Luce! You're a sight for sore eyes." Ingo says. "We were held in pretty tight, but we've got a real chance to fight back now. Go get 'em!"

"Anytime, honey!" Lucy replies sweetly, and the army chuckle as they listen to the exchange. There's something comforting about the presence of the Queen of the Skies, soaring through the air above them.

This isn't as bad as it looks, actually. Our units are all hidden by the forests, so the higher vision of infantry doesn't mean anything - they still have to be next to us to fire on us. And that's if they have any units capable of firing on anything anyway. They have like, what, a tank and an anti-air left, probably? I don't imagine it's much.

Right! I'm ready for a second dose of your Tag Power, gents - maybe this time it'll be a lethal dosage?

Or, to put it in a vernacular you might understand better: do your worst, clowns.

As usual, big fuel punch and 2HP damage from Clake, as well as... summoning rain.

Rain^3 now, I guess? Three times the Fog of War! Wait, that sounds terrible, actually, don't do that.

The infantry units wander around and fail to find anything to shoot at. Sucks to be them.

All systems, go.

Jugger's up next, but since he has nothing to fire on...

He just kind of sends his infantry in random directions. They find my troops, but it's sadly too late - his other forces are too far away to actually come down and capitalise on it.

Another Tag Power survived! Two in one map - that's impressive. Go on. Admit it.

As I move Darwin up to scout out the area, I find that the enemy does still have a medium tank sitting around. Well, gently caress, I'd best get rid of that before it becomes an issue. I'd really like to block up that base that keeps loving spawning mechs, too.

Lloyd's firepower will be useful, so I move him up one space more, so he can hit the medium tank and anti-air next turn.

As I move Fenya up, it occurs to me that I have a 2HP bro copter and an 8HP bro copter, so I just join Diana up with Fenya.

"Hey, Fenya. Hope you don't mind me backing you up!" Diana says.

"Not at all. I welcome the support - we're close to the end now, and I'd find it... undesirable to lose here."

Ivan is still just bumbling around here capturing things. It doesn't really matter, but it gives him something to do, at least.

May as well get Boris to nab something too. This base isn't for deploying things... it's just to upset the enemy, because I got to capture it and they didn't.

And thus, we're about ready to move ahead and lay on the finishing blows next turn. That said... Selena's fuel situation is not looking ideal. I'd best get this map done quickly, and also stop moving Selena around.

If you're wondering why I brought her this far north in the first place, it's mostly for the huge amount of vision she provides. Recons are susceptible to being shot, but Selena's safe from anything except ranged units, so she's more useful.

Now, with Rin having weathered the storm safely inside Michael, time to drop her off and finally move towards that HQ. Let's go, blue team!

Another very nice thing - Lucy was still on the airport when the Dual Strike hit, so she's healed and fully refuelled. It's like there wasn't even a Tag Power after all!

Lucy is, uh, not doing as much damage as I would like. The Tag Power must be providing some extra defence. Still, we need to move her off the airport, because as you all know, the only thing better than one bomber..?

Two bombers! Get out here, Peregrine!

"Hey, Luce! I'm ready to get gently caress deep into enemy territory!" Peregrine says, grinning with excitement.

Lowell lands a hit on the other infantry in the meantime. They're on roads! Why am I not one-shotting them?

Yes, OK, the 10% defence bonus from the SCOP and Lowell being at 8HP, but STILL...

It's all good - Von Panzer can finish it off no problem.

Peregrine prepares to fly from the airport. "Let's get this show on the road! That said, the rain's a bit of a bitch though, huh, Luce?"

"Just a bit!" Lucy says, beaming. "I can't aim as accurately as normal... did I get a direct hit on the infantry below, guys?"

"Not quite," Kyril says, preparing his cannon to fire. "But I can clean up down here. You guys focus on clearing out the enemy HQ!"

"Right, Kyril!" Peregrine replies. "Man, I need to come up with a snappy nickname for you, but nothing come to mind. Kirry? Rilly? Awful. loving terrible..."

We drop Rin off on the mountains once again. This time, I hope, she can walk through unscathed!

Black Hole's not got much left they can do to hurt us. Let's just see what that medium tank decides to do.

...Hm. It's decided to use my patented strategy of "gently caress off into the forest and pray nothing shoots you".

The enemy are really loving determined to prevent Rin from moving in on the HQ.

And I'm getting real tired of it. Lloyd opens the proceedings with a one-shot on the anti-air, AKA the only thing that threatens my bombers.

Oh, but that's not all.

Enough! Begone!

It's not as hard-hitting as Black Storm, but it's still a nice bit of healing for my troops, and more damage for the dregs of Drake's forces.

Next task is to just close in on that forest to the left of the HQ and explode everything I find.

You next. Go gently caress yourself.

This reveals the enemy tank's location, which is good - we can deal with that afterwards. Fenya/Diana head up to destroy the mech on the base here...

...and thus allows Darwin to plug it up. The enemy's got no more production! A crucial step in securing my victory, or at the very least doing it in a time-efficient manner.

Ha ha ha. Let's not pretend any of this map has been done time-efficiently.

Boris and Ivan continue their capturing.

The blue team will be taking care of the rest of the assault on the forest, since they have, you know, the bombers.

Lucy does pretty heavy damage to the tank, but can't quite get the kill.

"He's still standing... Dave, you got this tank?" Lucy says.

"Who do you take me for? I'm the Tankslayer." Dave says, but as he marches forward, he encounters an artillery ahead of him. "Uh, on second thoughts, I've been held up. drat it!"

"An artillery? Oh, this is going to slow proceedings down. We've got to get Rin over to that HQ as quickly as we can!" Michael sighs.

Now we just need to use our troops very efficiently. First, Peregrine destroys this infantry, which opens up the artillery to attack.

Kyril can't quite kill it - and is getting really low on fuel.

Ingo's there to back him up, though, and nabs the KO on the artillery.

"Artillery down! Is there anyone in range to take care of the tank for Rin?" Ingo asks, but the response is negative.

Rin marches forward. "I'm moving ahead!"

"Wait, Rin!" Dave shouts. "I said don't do anything that I-"

"Don't do anything you wouldn't do, right, Dave?" Rin says, smiling. Her eyes shine with heroic purpose. "Well, there's one thing that you always do, that you're well known for doing! And I've been watching you ever since I was transferred to the ground division, watching how you use your strength to protect others..."

"Rin...?" Dave gasps.

Rin opens fire on the tank, running through the pouring rain as it prepares to launch a bazooka shot at her. "I'm going to do something you would DEFINITELY do..."

"Slay... a... TANK!" Rin yells, as the tank explodes around her. She continues running, her eyes fixed on the enemy HQ, rising up ahead of her. Totally stunned, Dave watches her go.

Michael chuckles to himself. "Looks like your protégé has picked up a thing or two from you, Dave."

"No kiddin'... but that was stressful to watch." Dave murmurs. "I'm proud of her though, that's for drat sure."

Black Hole's got nothing left, so now it's time for the part of the battle where Black Hole does absolute noth

I loving FORGOT ABOUT THE MEDIUM TANK OH GOD

That could have been bad, holy poo poo. Thank goodness it didn't see Rin in the trees.

Right, someone kill that thing before it scares me again.

Zlata blasts it for most of its HP...

And the team of Fenya and Diana finish it off. The way to the HQ is open, so orange team's basically done now!

As such, let's just get over to the blue team and get Rin moving.

Rin makes a great start on the HQ! One more turn left, and just in case there's any more nasty surprises...

We assume the standard HQ Protect Your Infantry From Chip Damage Defensive Formation.

Black Hole do nothing.

Orange team do nothing.

This map's over, and it's the blue team who are going to pull it off.

"HQ captured!" Rin reports joyously. "I did it! We're safe!"

"We sure are..." Dave replies, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Incredible work, Rin. You're truly a credit to the 11th Division." Selena replies, smiling in her submarine. "Now I'd best go and refuel... again..."

"That was quite the performance." murmurs Lena, watching the rain fall around her as she listens to the end of the battle over the transceiver. "I get it now. It's not just my dude who's powerful... every single one of his soldiers is completely devoted. Perhaps Black Hole never stood a chance from the start."

Huzzah! The day is saved, and the people can slumber at their leisure once again!

Thanks Rose, Rachel...that was a little hairy in the middle, I won't lie.

You're welcome--things are only going to get tougher. We aren't far from the end now. We can make it if we keep at it!

I still don't like it... We thought that Black Hole was crushed, and yet they still have this huge army?

...Yeah.

Too many questions, not enough answers.

Well spoken, my lady.

It doesn't matter how many clones they toss our way. We'll blast 'em all! I'm itching to take down more of them!

You sure about that, man? If we run into loving Kanbei or something...

I don't think we can solve the mystery just yet...

Where we goin' next, Rachel?

Out of the frying pan, into the fire, Jake. We're going to the Twin Crown volcanoes.

WHY?!

A nice S-rank for us! We were 5 points short on power, apparently, huh. I felt like I'd murdered quite a lot of things, and quite hard, but hey, whatever. Everyone's alive, which is the real victory anyway, and I was not expecting to land a deathless run of this map.

You know, for such good friends, you're standing facing away from each other in this shot...

Anyway, another mission, and that's a familiar face I see there...

Eh? What's that, girl?

Well, it takes a massive amount of energy to produce a viable clone...

The black obelisk was the only power source they could've used to make the clones. But they're producing tons of them, and we destroyed the black obelisk weeks ago.

How could Black Hole get access to that much power?

Rachel, the kid and Jess were just saying the same thing! If clones eat up that much energy, that makes 'em hungrier than me! Harrr!

Lash? Do you know anything about it?

Huh? Oh, yeah...totally. Making one or two clones is WAY easy! It takes about as much energy as all the cities of Orange Star use in a month. Not all that much, really! Tee hee hee!

And the secret project, Lash? That was connected to the clones. Did Von Bolt ever tell you what it was?

Nope, only the Bolt Guard knew about that! You never know, though--I'm sure we're going to find out what that secret project is sooner or later!

I suppose we'll just have to keep beating these clones until Von Bolt plays his hand.

I hear there's a clone at the Twin Crown volcanoes. Ooooh, it's gonna be fun!

I wonder which clone will show up next?

Maybe it'll be a copy of you, right down to the plain face! Tee hee hee!

Whoa, watch it, Lash!!

Hey, that was mean! I don't think we could ever be friends.

Sensei's not wrong about it being a double helping - this looks like a busy map, on both fronts.

Be careful, Sensei. Something's not right here...

That thing erupted!

These volcanoes have been blessed with Black Hole's most advanced technology. Like a hungry snake emerging from its den, these falling rocks will strike mercilessly. In just 18 days, this land will be reduced to naught but ashes...

Gwar! Think you're tough, shorty? I'll smash your head like a melon!

Leave it to a simpleton to use his hands instead of his brain. Arise, my clone! Help me sacrifice these fools to the purifying flames!

By your command.

D-Dad?! NO!

There's our answer--we must face Commander Kanbei.

Oh, I got this one right! Rachel, Max, you owe me 20.

Alright, but I'm going to get the next clone right.

I think we'll run into a clone of me next!

Maybe... I'm going to say Grit next.

You have amassed quite a stable of COs. And now, their skills are turned against you! The hunter has become the hunted! Send in the clone!

By your command.

Gragh! He looks just like our emperor!

I can't see as well as I used to. So it looks just like him, eh?

It'll be like fighting Kanbei himself. Those dogs... I'll bust their chops!

Hah! That's nothin'. I've been whippin' Kanbei since he was a pup, and I can do it again! If they rigged the volcano to blow, there's got to be a way to stop it.

I absolutely love Sensei, it must be said. In terms of characters, Yellow Comet might be becoming my favourites... Blue Moon's good too, though. We just haven't got any good Grit/Olaf content in this game.

We can handle that. I think I know how to stop it...

Hm...looks like this mission involves two fronts and both screens. The CPU usually commands the secondary front, but I bet you want more control.

GOD YES.

If you want to take over, open the menu and hit Intel, then turn Auto CO off. You can turn Auto CO on or off anytime, so use it wisely.

And thus, the next map is upon us, and it's looking hectic. We have 18 days to stop the volcanoes from erupting and clear out the enemy forces, on two fronts. You know the drill - two COs, which ones are we going to use for this map?

Inb4 "the ones you've used the least"

See you next time!

Part 64 (Intermission) - Being Something Else

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sensei and Sami.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Congratulations! I handed you Sami and Sonja for that mission because there's a famous cheese strategy where you use a tag break to capture Black Hole's HQ on Day 3, but it's super dependent on the skill that brings forest movement down to 1 so all your vehicles can start killing poo poo right away. Still, I wanted to see what you came up with.

For this next map, it's Grit's time to shine. Look at it. That's a Grit map. Let him have his time to shine. Sensei for the top because I want him to follow up on his claim of beating Kanbei's rear end.

Unique dialogue for Pincer Strike.

Jake/Rachel

Yo, Rachel--you sure you want me to rock this mission? I mean, shouldn't we let those Macro Land dudes do it?

I picked you because I think you're the best CO for the job. Stop all this overanalyzing. Just get out there and give it your all!

Max/Grit

Shoot! The air's hangin' heavy! I reckon rain's coming. I ain't much good in rain! Makes it hard to see, and that means my indirect units got nothing to fire at.

Hey, I don't like rain either! Umbrellas just make me look silly.

Sasha/Colin

Sis! What's going on? Are you getting a weird gut feeling again?

Yes. But I don't know if it's good news or bad news... Be on your guard three days from now. Something is going to happen.

Grimm/Sensei

Hmm... It looks like rain is on the way, Grimm. When it rains, the Fog of War kicks in... Do you remember that from the old days?

Gwar har har! I store all of your old lessons right here in my massive melon! Enough talk! Let's just start blowin' stuff up before the rain comes!

Sonja/Lash

I wonder why they don't just make a ton of those cloned COs? Then they could crank 'em out and let 'em charge! Tee hee!

That would be futile. Even an entire army of clones couldn't defeat a real CO. What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a god! Hmm... I just said something meaningful. Lash! Write that down!

Jake/Jess

Yo, Jess! You know all those Macro Land dudes, right? What's the haps?

Yes, I know about their skills, powers, weaknesses, strengths, tactics... I'll tell you all about it after the battle. It shouldn't take more than a day or so...

Jess/Javier

Dame Jess, what manner of man is Eagle? What do you know of his character? As a fellow citizen of Green Earth, I would speak with him on many things.

His abilities are well known in Macro Land, where he is a respected and powerful CO. He has a rather...abrasive personality. And we don't get along all that well... But he's trustworthy all the same.

Eagle/Sami

I heard Omega Land wasn't much to look at, but this sea is beautiful! I won't let Black Hole turn it into a desert! Not if I can stop them!

You're right. That would be tragic. Let's kick them out before it happens!

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Those mountains? With all of those indirect units? It's time for Grit to take charge! And for the second front, I feel like Eagle might have some fun there.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Imagine how many nameless nobodies are getting murdered when Typhoon hits, or when cruisers or battleships get ripped apart.

Grit and Max. Grit's an obvious choice for the main front, while the second front could be handled by literally any CO thanks to the five AAs, two missiles, and two Com Towers you can bring online by Day 2, so might as well make it at least slightly challenging. Plus it gives Grit a luck bonus when Max wins.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 23, 2022

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Grit seems like the best bet for the map. Let's pair him with Sensei since he seems to want this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Main CO: Grit. Don't even need to explain why.

Tag CO: Javier with Slam Guard, Tower Power, Mechanic, & Star Power.

--------

First of all, Javier v Kanbei is thematic. It's a knight vs a samurai. Both are also honorable swordsmen, and charmingly silly.

From a gameplay perspective, Grit can send all his AAs and Missiles up, since they're not going to have any air units to fight. Javier can then gobble up all the COM Towers by Day 3, with 3-4 AAs guarding whoever's capping the topmost tower.

In addition, these skills will grant Javier a statline of 145/138, once the 3 towers are online (Tower Power only seems to boost Attack, from my testing).

Finally, Tower Shield (the basic 3 Star CO power) will boost that to 200/178 whenever it's active. Just spam that--it gives more for your buck than Tower of Power.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 24, 2022