Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

droll posted:

I had paxlovid and the cough remained throughout and lasted for 3 months. The brain fog cleared up in about 2.5 weeks. The fever stopped about 8 hours of dosing paxlovid.
Well drat. It was magical for me, except for the rebound after I stopped taking it and the constant IPA vurp taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Last night was brutal, I lost four pounds having to use the restroom or vomiting. Covid sucks.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Spacebump posted:

Last night was brutal, I lost four pounds having to use the restroom or vomiting. Covid sucks.

are vomiting and making GBS threads common symptoms of covid?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Riptor posted:

are vomiting and making GBS threads common symptoms of covid?

I don't know if they are common symptoms but they can be symptoms of covid.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Frankly, if you've stopped making GBS threads, that's a symptom of something.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I had a bunch of weird symptoms that I wasn't expecting too. It's different for everyone. Managed to avoid it for years only to pick it up last month and would not recommend.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oracle posted:

Well drat. It was magical for me, except for the rebound after I stopped taking it and the constant IPA vurp taste in my mouth.

The human immune system is one of the most diverse parts of our bodies. Even people in the same family react differently to illness, and to medication.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just blame the vagus nerve. I always do.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Got the pfizer omni shot today.

I'm in the rare (for the US) position of having to test constantly for work. Up until a certain point this year, it was even PCR tests required. (That went by the wayside fast, now it's exclusively rapids)

That also means when I'm directly exposed I usually know the next day and can also test in my time off too.

I still haven't caught this thing, somehow.

This last year I've had 4 different direct exposures, doing dumb poo poo like sharing a joint, or eating lunch in a truck cab masks off..all with folks who popped pos the next day. I have no idea how I've been negative each time to be very honest. Outside of those small slips, I always rock a KN95, even on the subway where mask requirements went to 0 this month.

I'm the only person I know who hasn't had this at least once, it's a little unnerving.

On the plus side, thanks to this thread I got my j&j shot asap in 2021, went and lied and got a double dose of moderna last sept/oct before we were required to get booster shots anyway, and just went and got this omni version about a year to the day of my delta boosting despite fighting the urge to get more booster six months in rather then wait for the updated version.

I've now had all three brands and I didn't even get a cool sticker or nothing.

I'm guessing it's 2-4 weeks before max titerville again like the previous 3 times right?

e: also, the dr administering the shots said demand has been really high for it (and I live in what is considered a "poorer" district of Brooklyn, even with a 77k median salary, where hesitancy has been notoriously high)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 16, 2022

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
It is impressive. My elderly father, my eldest brother, and myself had dodged covid for 2.5 years until now, actually leading quite normal lives post-vaccination (w/ frequent indoor dining, a thread favourite, for the last 1.5 years). We live very far away from each other.

Within this week the three of us got it independently! (I actually got it from my wife)

I remember that the onset of Autumn 2021, in which temperatures dropped some 10 deg celsius suddenly, brought an sudden, insane increase of cases over here (Germany). I wonder whether we will see such a surge this year.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah my mom took the train up to see my sister's family last Wednesday, then they all drove up to stay with my aunt and uncle on Friday, and now they all have COVID because train.

This spring it seemed like all my acquaintances and podcasters I follow were getting COVID, and in this summer wave at this point it's like half my family :shrug:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Good news folks. Pandemic is over and is as dead as Beau.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Seeing articles now that the omicron booster is coming mid October for the 5-11 crowd, looking forward to getting that for my younger daughter who is the last one in my family who still needs the shot.

Lager fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 23, 2022

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Lager posted:

Seeing articles now that the omicron booster is coming mid October for the under 5-11 crowd, looking forward to getting that for my younger daughter who is the last one in my family who still needs the shot.

I think you mean the 5-11 crowd, not under. At least from what I saw with a search. I'd be happy to be wrong if you have an article I could read.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Scipiotik posted:

I think you mean the 5-11 crowd, not under. At least from what I saw with a search. I'd be happy to be wrong if you have an article I could read.

Yup, I started saying under 12 then corrected myself to 5-11 but forgot to erase under. Unfortunately no news on a booster for the youngest group, I'm not even sure if that's being worked on.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Lager posted:

Yup, I started saying under 12 then corrected myself to 5-11 but forgot to erase under. Unfortunately no news on a booster for the youngest group, I'm not even sure if that's being worked on.

I saw something that said "months out" so probably 2023 at the earliest.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Highly specific-case but in case this applies to anyone else in the UK (other than me):

I've just found out that if you live with an immunosuppressed person, you can book a seasonal booster, even if you're under-50, even if you yourself aren't immunosuppressed/clinically vulnerable

Otherwise we non-olds are basically poo poo out of luck (until cases go through the roof this autumn and the government panics, but I wouldn't trust the Truss government to spell 'covid', let alone know what to do about it)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lager posted:

How's the under 5 uptake even been in the US? Up here in Ontario it's been ridiculously low:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-vaccine-children-ontario-uptake-1.6591216

Only 6% of under 5s have even had one dose of the vaccine here in the two months it's been available.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

How's the under 5 uptake even been in the US? Up here in Ontario it's been ridiculously low:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-vaccine-children-ontario-uptake-1.6591216

Only 6% of under 5s have even had one dose of the vaccine here in the two months it's been available.

stupid terrible here too.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Anecdotally I can say that my friends with kids that young have gotten them vaccinated and were happy to do so. But according to all the data I've seen, my friends are extreme outliers, unfortunately.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, we rushed out and got our 4 year old her shots right away, and she'll be 5 in Jan and hopefully getting the Omicron booster then. I'm holding off until first week of October so I can tag team my Omicron booster and flu shot together, since I'm one of those Essential Workers™ and will be neck deep in the general public during our busy months.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hopefully other vacs arent declining, but lol at all the countries infected by Murdoch news and social media having antivax infections.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

An estimated 5 million Americans have gotten omicron boosters in the last 3 weeks, representing under 2% of the eligible population. On the plus side, uh, plenty of room for improvement?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I have 3yo twins and 3 teenagers. The teenagers are all vaccinated and boosted, but we haven’t yet done the toddlers. Mostly because they’re ultra low risk for serious disease, and taking multiple days off work when it rocks them and they can’t go to daycare is unappealing since mom and I then can’t work. The fact that they aren’t eligible for the bivalent booster yet is also gave us hesitation.

That said, we’re probably going to start their original series soon since the winter and likely higher numbers are coming in the next few months.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Our under-5 had absolutely no effects from her first shot if that helps any. Only complained at the time of the needle. Went super smooth.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our 4yo wasn't phased by the shots in the least. Moderna 4 weeks apart, fwiw. Didn't even take a nap the day of or after. Hell, we did her 2nd shot and then spent 6 hours at the local (outdoor) zoo, she wore ME out that day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All 4 of my shots absolutely annihilated me for 24-48 hours each, and I didn’t really want to put toddlers through that, so that’s great to know. Thanks.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All 4 of my shots absolutely annihilated me for 24-48 hours each, and I didn’t really want to put toddlers through that, so that’s great to know. Thanks.

I was also laid out similarly but our 4 year old was fine as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

it varies for everyone, most of my friends had no side effects, my first and second shots I barely felt a thing, my 3rd and 4th (just got omicron on thursday) knocked me on my rear end for 24 hours. But I woke up feeling great Saturday. My 85 yr old dad had no side effects from any of them, and he's had 5 shots now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Los Angeles is finally just about done with masking.

Welp.

We had a good 2.5 year run.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have been the only masked person in my office for months. It's apparently my identity now... the guy who wears a mask. A few guests have made snarky comments about it even. But I resigned myself to it long ago.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only other person in my office who wears a mask just got covid lmao

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

We just finally stopped wearing masks, and immediately got covid.

They work!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Paxlovid, friend goon. It's very helpful.

Would highly recommend this to anyone that gets covid. It helped significantly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My workplace has scheduled an event for next week where we'll all be stuffed into one room for four hours.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

My workplace has scheduled an event for next week where we'll all be stuffed into one room for four hours.

Sounds like you're coming down with something. Norovirus? Uncontrollable diarrhea? Noone wants to ask you about the details? Yup, there ya go.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Aye, "the raging shits," you've saved me from many a thing I don't want to attend.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1575634798248431619

im honestly at a complete loss for words. i cant believe the concept of public health has degraded to such a degree that it is considered inappropriate to take steps to curb the spread of parasites among children

just speechless right now

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's...not what the article or the underlying report say. You seem to have taken something from the fourth paragraph of the Hill article and ignored everything after it so you could bemoan the doom of public health using an article about lice.

In the covid thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The AAP news release mentions a clinical report, but then links to an index where the report is conspicuously absent.

quote:

The clinical report, “Head Lice,” published in the October 2022 Pediatrics (published online Sept. 26), describes new medications for treatment and provides an algorithm for management of affected patients and clarification on diagnosis and treatment.

So it’s an interesting exercise to try to go to the source here.

Web search does turn it up.

quote:

Some experts argue that, because of the relatively high prevalence of head lice in young school-aged children, it may make more sense to alert caregivers only if a high percentage of children in a classroom are infested. Other experts feel strongly that these “alert letters” violate privacy laws, cause unnecessary public alarm, and reinforce the notion that a head lice infestation indicates a failure on the school’s part rather than a community problem.79 However, studies examining the efficacy of alert letters are not available; consequently, some schools choose to design guidelines that they believe best meet the needs of their student population, understanding that, although a head lice infestation may not pose a public health risk, it may create a public relations dilemma for a school. Regardless of the extent of the communication on a specific case, schools may wish to provide general education to their constituency that head lice is not a public health hazard.

I think that this is stretching (or contracting) the definition of “health hazard”. It is reminiscent of Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle’s interpretation of “sanitation” as used in the 1944 Public Health Service Act, in the context of killing the air travel mask mandate.

Passage continues,

quote:

Criteria for Return to School

A child or adolescent should not be restricted from school attendance because of head lice, given the low contagion within classrooms.71 “No-nit” policies that exclude children or adolescents until all nits are removed may violate a child’s or adolescent’s civil liberties and are best addressed with legal counsel for schools.

The parallels deepen.

There is a citation for that last sentence (doi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2006.02827.x). Here’s what it has to say about legal matters:

quote:

When a child is found to have living lice it is not necessary to send him/her home immediately (unless legally bound) because lice are usually detected only 1–2 months after the child has become infested.20,25 Keeping the child in school for a few more hours will not make any significant difference.

quote:

Repeated failure to completely eliminate all offending material (regardless of type and viability) and extended absences owing to school-enforced exclusion occasionally cause schools to start legal action charging parents with neglect or abuse, thus making parents aggressive towards the school authorities. In the USA, some parents who have applied all remedial treatments to remove nits and get their children back to school have been reported to State authori- ties as being negligent and are then legally engaged in keeping their children from being sent to foster care. It should be stressed that no such exclusion measures are taken with any other infectious diseases, including child-borne diseases and influenza, which are much more dangerous.

These authors are arguing against “no‐nit” policies, but they aren’t saying that they put the school in legal jeopardy—just the opposite, that schools may be legally bound to implement such policies even if harmful.

I must therefore conclude that the civil rights angle is original speculation by the AAP authors. I’m not going to say that it’s the most outlandish line of speculation, but it ought to be supported with citation from the realm of law.