Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So umm things are looking a bit clearer now. I want to store files in a raid6 or something. I want to be in a situation where if I gently caress something up with something else, my file storage won't be affected.

Then I want to run some programs like:
- torrent
- sabnzb
- unifi network app
- homeassistant
- jellyfin
- ruuvitag things
- probably something else too.

What would be the best software choice for home server in this case?

Vmware esxi free hypervisor? Then run those homeassistants etc in docker containers or something?

Then run some os to store files, which one? I thought freenas was the choice, but seems they rebranded to truenas, and truenas is concentrating on some other stuff these days it seems.

It also would be beneficial to be able to backup my digital camera photos etc important files to cloud like backblaze s2? And all the software etc so if something happens physically like all the HDD 's die together I don't have to setup all the software again.

Edit: do I need to buy some pcie add-on card or can I just use the sata ports in my intel mobo? (Maybe with z390 chipset)

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Truenas is perfectly fine for this - both Core and Scale should let you configure containers for things like that fairly easily. I use Core (the FreeBSD one), and I think most of the things you listed are available as plugins (e.g. preconfigured jails), and the rest should be doable. I bet they are mostly available as containers on Scale (the Linux based one), too.

As for their Storj partnership, I bet it's way overblown for marketing and in practice means they're an option in a dropdown somewhere.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Unraid is great, and doesn't really try to be more than it is.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Why bother paying for Unraid when TrueNAS Scale exists? :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

As for their Storj partnership, I bet it's way overblown for marketing and in practice means they're an option in a dropdown somewhere.

Yeah I would guess in the actual truenas software it will be nothing more than an official plugin, so it's not even there if you haven't opted in. But the truenas company is gonna hype it because they're getting paid.

Also it probably won't last long -- this is gonna be just like Helium in so far as "dumb unworkable idea + crypto = dumb unworkable idea". Lots of people are gonna sign up for storj to use the extra space on their drives for money, very few people will be paying them for it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd really like a hypervisor tho so I could do things like test new operating systems and stuff without breaking anything horribly. Files will mostly sit archived, idle, so it would be waste of hardware to not use the server for as many things as possible!

unRAID sounds like it would fit the bill. Store files, run apps, run VM's, and isolate stuff from each other when necessary.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There are already storj docker containers that you could deploy and use to eat up your hard drive space and wear them out hosting someone else’s encrypted and maybe illegal content. They are probably just taking one of those, setting up the k3s deployment defaults and dropping it in their official repo.

I wouldn’t worry about the storj thing.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

is it here you talk about btrfs

BlankSystemDaemon has reigned in shsc too long

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Nitrousoxide posted:

There are already storj docker containers that you could deploy and use to eat up your hard drive space and wear them out hosting someone else’s encrypted and maybe illegal content. They are probably just taking one of those, setting up the k3s deployment defaults and dropping it in their official repo.

I wouldn’t worry about the storj thing.

Yeah, there's now an "official" Storj app in the truenas catalog now (there was already a "Storj Node" in the everything-else section that everybody is going to enable anyway). Beyond this being eyeroll-worthy I don't think this is a giant sin or anything.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Counter argument: crypto is literally killing the planet on top of all the pyramid schemes and stupid poo poo. It ain't like there's a dearth of nas appliances or software, go with literally any other company not actively touching the poop.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems I really have to run an *OS* from an USB stick. What the hell. Well, whatever. Who would use USB sticks for anything, ever, in 2022...

I guess I can use my 1TB 980 pro as a cache disk. Can I only set it like "use 256GB for cache" and I can use the other space for other stuff?

Do I really need two cache disks? Unraid says it writes data to HDD only once a day, so the data sits on the cache disk and if the cache disk dies before data is written to HDD, the data is lost.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ihmemies posted:

Seems I really have to run an *OS* from an USB stick. What the hell. Well, whatever. Who would use USB sticks for anything, ever, in 2022...

I guess I can use my 1TB 980 pro as a cache disk. Can I only set it like "use 256GB for cache" and I can use the other space for other stuff?

Do I really need two cache disks? Unraid says it writes data to HDD only once a day, so the data sits on the cache disk and if the cache disk dies before data is written to HDD, the data is lost.

I believe you have to give unraid the whole disk for cache.

You don't need 2 disks and there was a nasty bug in unraid when using 2 cache drives in a mirror (BTRFS) that would cause massive amounts of writes to the disks.

Personally, I now use 2 cache disks in separate cache pools. 1 cache is for my docker containers to write files that will be moved to the HDD array at night with the mover. The other is where my docker containers and VMs run off of. The drives are formatted with XFS and the write amount is significantly lower so I'm less worried about wearing them out.

Some things to remember:
You will still need backups of your stuff, regardless of cache or array status.
Mover will not move open files, this can be a problem with torrents you are seeding.
The USB stick kind of sucks but for the most part its only used for read only stuff, everything else is done in RAM. Make sure you install the UnRAID utility that backs up your USB stick to their service.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Crow posted:

Counter argument: crypto is literally killing the planet on top of all the pyramid schemes and stupid poo poo. It ain't like there's a dearth of nas appliances or software, go with literally any other company not actively touching the poop.

Storj isn't like bitcoin and is running kilowatts to solve hard math problems. It's a proof of capacity thing not a proof of work thing.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ihmemies posted:

I'd really like a hypervisor tho so I could do things like test new operating systems and stuff without breaking anything horribly. Files will mostly sit archived, idle, so it would be waste of hardware to not use the server for as many things as possible!

unRAID sounds like it would fit the bill. Store files, run apps, run VM's, and isolate stuff from each other when necessary.

I'm running TrueNAS CORE on top of ESXi with SATA controller passthrough to the VM. Then I run services in containers under a different VM. It's been chugging along for a year and half without issues so far.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Crypto in general is terrible, but this storj thing is barely crypto. Their token isn't burning resources for proof of work, it's running a cloud storage biz by renting space on home user drives.

Like, their biz model would work equally well (badly) without the cryptocurrency. Right now they sell cryptos to users, and the users pay those to people providing the storage space. They could just sell storage space with real money and then pay for space with real money. But they have a crypto to get VC investment and fomo hype, and they're "decentralized" to avoid liability.

And that's why this is pretty ignorable. Businesses are never gonna start putting data in these schemes, because there's no guarantee of availability. Their network has redundancy, but if a moderate % of storj users decide to leave the network (ex if the crypto dives in price) it will produce data loss. The only people who will use this are crypto enthusiasts and people too cheap for normal cloud backup.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I believe you have to give unraid the whole disk for cache.

You don't need 2 disks and there was a nasty bug in unraid when using 2 cache drives in a mirror (BTRFS) that would cause massive amounts of writes to the disks.

Personally, I now use 2 cache disks in separate cache pools. 1 cache is for my docker containers to write files that will be moved to the HDD array at night with the mover. The other is where my docker containers and VMs run off of. The drives are formatted with XFS and the write amount is significantly lower so I'm less worried about wearing them out.

Some things to remember:
You will still need backups of your stuff, regardless of cache or array status.
Mover will not move open files, this can be a problem with torrents you are seeding.
The USB stick kind of sucks but for the most part its only used for read only stuff, everything else is done in RAM. Make sure you install the UnRAID utility that backs up your USB stick to their service.

Welp. I guess of course I don't need to use cache at all. Then stuff is read and written instantly to HDD. If I get some speed problems I can buy more m.2 ssd's to use as a cache disk.

The motherboard has 1 slot free and I have a spare m.2 to pcie add-on card to get more slots.

I plan to back up important files like my photos to cloud like backblaze S2. I have been using crashplan on my desktop but I'm interested in trying something else. I also do backups to an external usb HDD maybe once a month.

The raid/array/parity thing would mainly be for :effort: when HDD's break. It sucks less when it is more likely you only need to rebuild, not recover data from backups.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 16, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Welp. I guess of course I don't need to use cache at all. Then stuff is read and written instantly to HDD. If I get some speed problems I can buy more m.2 ssd's to use as a cache disk.

The motherboard has 1 slot free and I have a spare m.2 to pcie add-on card to get more slots.

I would not suggest running Docker off of the array, therein lies pain. I also would not be writing NZB downloads which can be high io when unzipping/par checked direct to the array.

A 1TB cache should be just fine for you to use formatted as XFS and used for Docker and file storage. Trust me, running unraid without any kind of cache suuuucks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I would not suggest running Docker off of the array, therein lies pain. I also would not be writing NZB downloads which can be high io when unzipping/par checked direct to the array.

A 1TB cache should be just fine for you to use formatted as XFS and used for Docker and file storage. Trust me, running unraid without any kind of cache suuuucks.

What if I want to run some VM's too to test stuff? Maybe a database or something else? I thought one ssd would be enough for a server. Maybe I'll just look at some other solution which requires less SSD's.

I can't really think of an use case where I need to waste a fast 1TB m.2 disk as a cache drive.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

What if I want to run some VM's too to test stuff? Maybe a database or something else? I thought one ssd would be enough for a server. Maybe I'll just look at some other solution which requires less SSD's.

You should be ok, remember, you can dockerize a DB too. You could if you have the budget/space run a PCIE SSD and use that for VMs separately. A TB should be just fine to start and you can expand from there, depending on what your VM use case/needs are.

Basically, I'm just advising you to stay away from the BTRFS cache mirror, its crap. Otherwise I love unraid and its been rock solid for me going on 7 years now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been very happy with unraid here too, coming up on 5 years now. I've had stretches of over a year solid of uptime. Only downtime I've had in that span was due to a flaw in my server board that can fry USB sticks on boot, which I found out the hard way after needing to power down to increase the storage pool. Even that was fairly painless, as limetech sent out a replacement key right away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ihmemies posted:

TrueNAS Scale has KVM support.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

TrueNAS Scale has KVM support.

I looked more at truenas and it has ZFS filesystem. They say ZFS was meant for ultra-reliable SUN hardware and it should not be run on garbage.

I presume non -ECC ram and a gaming motherboard are classified as garbage so I better run something else on it, like unraid. If/when I get a job again I can invest in new server hardware.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah.

While I personally don't understand why someone doesn't feel like running ECC RAM on their server, ZFS doesn't really need it. Anything faulty RAM can do to ZFS, it'll do to XFS and btrfs (or whatever Unraid uses). So if you think your system is fine for Unraid, it'll run TrueNAS just the same. If anything, given any fault, ZFS is probably more resilient to it.

As far as mainboards go, the gaming part is just stupid marketing. Whether it's a gaming mainboard or a server one, both do pretty much the same thing, just the peripherals are somewhat different. E.g. you'll find 10GBe SFP networking and SAS ports on a server board, while "gaming" ones come with an audio solution, a litter of USB ports and built-in Wifi.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ECC ram and a server motherboard and a xeon would be sweet. New ones looked very expensive and I have no idea where to find used working ones in Finland, or how long they work. My old unused 8700K + mobo was 0€ but I had to buy 2x16GB of ram for 100€.

I mean I don't have ECC hardware and I don't know where to find some (or what to buy) and I probably don't have money for it either. Vs. I can use now what I already have.

I was an x-ray tech but my commute sucked and I couldn't get work nearby. So I went to university to study computer sciences. Income is not so great at the moment. Maybe in a few years :v:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Re: Unraid Cache - it is not dedicated to cache and lost to you. When you create a VM or choose where your docker lives, you simply select the cache disk. It has the same folder structure as the array and there's a task that moves things that shouldn't stay on cache to the array.

It's a pretty simple and functional system for the home user. You're not losing your nice nvme to write caching only. You get to use it for docker and VMs and any share you would prefer to reside on cache only. Yes, you do lose parity for those files, unless you install two cache disks which is supported out of the box. I personally just run one.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My Truenas (core) machine is my old i5 6600K gaming machine with extra RAM, a pair of large spinning disks, and an M2 SSD left over from an upgrade. It's fine.

The one concession I've made is to throw an AliExpress Special™ Realtek 2.5Gbit network card in it - I got 190MB/s from the steam cache we've set up earlier today, so it seems to be working ok.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is it worth formatting my Unraid's xfs formatted drives to btrfs, which I've read has much better compression and can save you up to 10-20% in space? My cache drive could certainly use the extra space.

My 100 TB Unraid server has been pretty stable, and I almost always run the beta release candidates. I have recently ran into one weird issue out of the blue - my Krusader docker container has ballooned to 100GB for some reason. I'm really not sure why - I deleted the container and ran a script that delete orphaned dockers, but the container just started taking up more space again.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 17, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

is it here you talk about btrfs

BlankSystemDaemon has reigned in shsc too long

Ihmemies posted:

ECC ram and a server motherboard and a xeon would be sweet. New ones looked very expensive and I have no idea where to find used working ones in Finland, or how long they work. My old unused 8700K + mobo was 0€ but I had to buy 2x16GB of ram for 100€.

I mean I don't have ECC hardware and I don't know where to find some (or what to buy) and I probably don't have money for it either. Vs. I can use now what I already have.

I was an x-ray tech but my commute sucked and I couldn't get work nearby. So I went to university to study computer sciences. Income is not so great at the moment. Maybe in a few years :v:
There's a Swedish retailer that sometimes has some new-old-stock called mullet.se.
I've not used them since my budget doesn't permit it, but I believe they ship outside of Sweden.

There's nothing wrong with starting out without ECC and moving to a system that has it later on if you find something used - there's usually sites that sell used equipment, although in Denmark I am there's more luck in being a member of a certain facebook group than using the used gear sites.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, I'll just try unraid first. It seems to do the job and my data integrity is not super duper important. I can upgrade the HW later.

Do you guys have some rack server cases or how do you fit the server hw to a case? My define R5 supports only atx form factor.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks, I'll just try unraid first. It seems to do the job and my data integrity is not super duper important. I can upgrade the HW later.

Do you guys have some rack server cases or how do you fit the server hw to a case? My define R5 supports only atx form factor.

I bought a supermicro 2u server on ebay that had 2x old xeon CPUs for $200 a couple years ago, pulled out the guts and sold them for $80 and put an ASRock mobo and a ryzen 3950 in it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

People really seem to roast non-ECC setups for file storage. So a friend told me about a webshop where he bought some stuff back in the day.

I looked at the options and this would probably work:

I could get maybe 200€ from my 8700K and Asus Maximus X Hero. Then I could return the 2x16GB non-ECC so I'd end up only paying 200€ for the setup, compared to what I'd use otherwise.

The cores are slow but there are many of them, and there's 6 memory slots free for more memory if needed later.

I understood the Xeon is a dual-channel CPU, quad-channel in 2CPU setup. So only 2 sticks would be fine in the beginning. They have hundreds/thousands of other Xeons for sale too, dunno what else would be suitable. More cores = Better I thought.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

I bought a supermicro 2u server on ebay that had 2x old xeon CPUs for $200 a couple years ago, pulled out the guts and sold them for $80 and put an ASRock mobo and a ryzen 3950 in it.

Excuse me sir that's expressly against the "rules" and considered cheating. *scribbles down notes furiously*

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Saved ~129 GB of space moving from xfs to brtfs for my cache drive in Unraid (557GB used to 428GB).

Pretty good!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I found some stuff to sell, like Nikon coolscan V scanner, pc-nikkor 28/4 etc. I haven't used them in years and won't be using them anymore.

I boguht some legacy old poo poo I listed here earlier: Xeon E5 2860 v4 14C cpu (with goddamn awfully slow cores), 2x DR 32GB ECC SK Hynix memory sticks, Supermicro X10 motherboard. Total was 480€ with shipping. Hopefully this is good enough for a few years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

People really seem to roast non-ECC setups for file storage. So a friend told me about a webshop where he bought some stuff back in the day.

I looked at the options and this would probably work:

I could get maybe 200€ from my 8700K and Asus Maximus X Hero. Then I could return the 2x16GB non-ECC so I'd end up only paying 200€ for the setup, compared to what I'd use otherwise.

The cores are slow but there are many of them, and there's 6 memory slots free for more memory if needed later.

I understood the Xeon is a dual-channel CPU, quad-channel in 2CPU setup. So only 2 sticks would be fine in the beginning. They have hundreds/thousands of other Xeons for sale too, dunno what else would be suitable. More cores = Better I thought.
The way you're writing about ECC makes me think it'd be helpful for you if you knew what ECC in practice means vs some of its pitfalls.

ECC corrects single-bit flipped values in DIMMs, obviously - but what that means in the real world is that system availability is upped by quite a substantial amount, because bit-flips account for way more system instability than a lot of people think (because they don't have ECC, so they can't know).

However, one of the downsides of ECC is that to make full use of it, you need your OS kernel to be informed via what's called a non-maskable interrupt, which is generated through the firmware when one or more bit-flips happen.
The advantage of this is that it lets the kernel gets to decide what to do; for example, if it's a read-cache that's experienced an uncorrectable double-flip, it can simply invalidate that cache, whereas if it's a driver it can probably detach the device, unload the driver, reload the driver, and reattach the device without needing a restart.

Unfortunately, however, a lot of firmware implementations don't generate these NMIs or generate them only when double-flips occur, or generally don't behave like sysadmins want them to, because it's cheaper for the vendor to not care, and at any rate there's only two companies that sell firmware, so they've got a duopoly.

What this means is that if you buy a pre-made server from HP or Dell, you can probably expect that it'll work - however, if you buy spare hardware that claims ECC support, it's entirely possible you won't get what you think you're paying for, and will be little better off than you were without ECC memory (except, of course, you'll still have the higher system availability).

You're lucky that you bought a Supermicro, though - because they're one of the few vendors that consistently ensure proper ECC implementation (with a few exceptions, that got fixed in later firmware revisions, iirc).

All that aside, for file-sharing servers, more cores at slightly lower frequencies is a LOT better than a few very fast cores, unless you're aiming to satuate 10Gbps SFP+-connected NICs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I guess the use case overlap is pretty high.

So I've been looking for portable power stations, thanks to this russian gas bullshit here in Europe, where power outages are half-expected during winter. I've been looking at one from a brand called Bluetti/PowerOak, has 716Wh of battery backup and comes with a goddamn pure sine wave inverter. That thing costs 750€.

The question of mine is mostly, why the gently caress do I need to pay at least four times as much for a "proper" UPS with the same specs?!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I guess the use case overlap is pretty high.

So I've been looking for portable power stations, thanks to this russian gas bullshit here in Europe, where power outages are half-expected during winter. I've been looking at one from a brand called Bluetti/PowerOak, has 716Wh of battery backup and comes with a goddamn pure sine wave inverter. That thing costs 750€.

The question of mine is mostly, why the gently caress do I need to pay at least four times as much for a "proper" UPS with the same specs?!

Besides the lack of quality of that thing and probably lying about specs? I suppose you could start with the fact that the inverter is only "rated" to run 6.6 amps which is nowhere close to a proper UPS.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It does beg the question where are the lithium and lithium iron phosphate batteries at for UPS systems, when you have the entire solar and EV systems running in them now.

I bought a AC500 and 2 B300S batteries in lieu of a UPS; because our power is semi unreliable. But that’s more in the solar generator/whole home category.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lead acid should be dead, but it's sadly still hanging on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Motronic posted:

Besides the lack of quality of that thing and probably lying about specs? I suppose you could start with the fact that the inverter is only "rated" to run 6.6 amps which is nowhere close to a proper UPS.
Eh, according to various tests on the interwebs, it can deliver the battery runtime promised. Also, "only" 6.6 amps. On 230V, that's like 1500W. My current Cyberpower UPS only delivers 900W max, beyond that it'll shutdown.

The complaint is more, why do "budget" UPS systems (or any other) not have more endurance for the price.