Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ynglaur posted:

Maga has already set the precedent of using violence to achieve its political goals. Using legal means to remove outright corruption seems reasonable to the times. How would this backfire given that armed rebellion is already been used?

This isn't a question of "Didn't like the opinion". The judge is ignoring that the sun rises in the east, and at this point may as well have ruled that the Federal government actually doesn't own any documents, buildings, or anything else. It's an entirely arbitrary ruling.

The judicial corrective measure is an appeal. The political corrective measure is impeachment. Theoretically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Clarste posted:

The judicial corrective measure is an appeal. The political corrective measure is impeachment. Theoretically.

That's a fair response. Thanks.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Incredible. I thought the previous ruling was nuts but going "who knows if the documents are classified" when Trump didn't even argue that he declassified anything is :discourse:

Not only hasn’t he argued that he declassified them, he hasn’t even argued that they aren’t classified documents.

Let that sink in. DoJ asserts they are classified government documents and Trump hasn’t disputed that. The most I saw them say was that they aren’t classified in perpetuity, which while true is irrelevant.

It’s literally not in dispute that they are classified government documents whose exposure risks grave public harm.

His lawyers never made the claim that that the documents marked with “property of US government” and a government property number and a notice about who classified them and when they would be declassified and what government program owns them were just being used for Trump to LARP still being president or something.

Yet, she’s still like, “well how can I know? Lol. Just asking questions”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
A good rundown of how this ruling is nonsense bullshit

https://twitter.com/akivamcohen/status/1570742482157309952

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen a news broadcast talk about a federal judge like this before. I have no words.

https://youtu.be/xK-z8eraNXM

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Incredible. I thought the previous ruling was nuts but going "who knows if the documents are classified" when Trump didn't even argue that he declassified anything is :discourse:

The judge's reasoning seems to be that the feds scooped up a lot of papers and there were probably some non-government documents accidentally included in what they confiscated (a reasonable assumption), that the federal government cannot be trusted to reliably separate out the government documents from the non-government documents (lol), and that the federal government cannot be trusted to avoid using the non-government documents they may have scooped up (lmao).

Her ruling is based on the theory that the DoJ cannot be trusted to handle things legally and reliably, especially in a case of such importance, and therefore the documents should be sorted out by an independent third party that has no risk of being biased toward the prosecution. Which is an absurd enough premise that I don't really fault so many lawyers for failing to grasp it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Her theory starts and stops with "trump wins" everything else is very flimsy motivated reasoning.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The judge's reasoning seems to be that the feds scooped up a lot of papers and there were probably some non-government documents accidentally included in what they confiscated (a reasonable assumption), that the federal government cannot be trusted to reliably separate out the government documents from the non-government documents (lol), and that the federal government cannot be trusted to avoid using the non-government documents they may have scooped up (lmao).

Her ruling is based on the theory that the DoJ cannot be trusted to handle things legally and reliably, especially in a case of such importance, and therefore the documents should be sorted out by an independent third party that has no risk of being biased toward the prosecution. Which is an absurd enough premise that I don't really fault so many lawyers for failing to grasp it.

Except that anything not government documents grabbed during the seizure were 1) authorized to be seized by the warrant and 2) evidence of criminal thought by commingling personal items with illegally possessed items (I knew about them and I expect to use them along with my personal items like passports)

In normal people world trump has no claim to get any items back except medical records and privileged attorney-client documents.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

The other laughable part about it, as pointed out in the Opening Arguments podcast, is that the co-mingled personal papers aren’t just private possessions anymore, they are direct evidence of a crime, and this exact kind of thing has been used in previous classified document cases to send people to prison

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'd love for Bush, Clinton, and Obama to file an amicus brief that says, "As former Presidents, actually the law does apply to us equally. Call us if you find this confusing."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

Except that anything not government documents grabbed during the seizure were 1) authorized to be seized by the warrant and 2) evidence of criminal thought by commingling personal items with illegally possessed items (I knew about them and I expect to use them along with my personal items like passports)

In normal people world trump has no claim to get any items back except medical records and privileged attorney-client documents.

According to Popehat (aka Ken White, a former Assistant US Attorney), it's not uncommon for the officers on the ground to seize stuff that isn't really covered under the warrant, no matter how clearly they're instructed about what should and shouldn't be taken. He tells stories about it from time to time, and brought them up again when Trump was first talking about passports being seized and poo poo like that.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1097924909500555264
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/672860791083696129
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/672861781321060352
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/672864224704512000

Given this kind of stuff, it's fairly plausible that some of Trump's personal papers were seized...

...and the DoJ expected as much, which is why they put together their own separate taint team to go through the documents and determine which ones they were actually allowed to have, so that there would be no risk of the investigators and prosecutors seeing something they weren't allowed to. Because this kind of thing is so routine, they made sure to account for it upfront.

The judge here is ruling that the DoJ's taint team can't be trusted to be reliable, and that an independent third-party is needed to do the sorting.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ynglaur posted:

I'd love for Bush, Clinton, and Obama to file an amicus brief that says, "As former Presidents, actually the law does apply to us equally. Call us if you find this confusing."

Why?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I dunno: restore my faith that justice has a chance?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I suspect the hypothetical amicus brief that exists solely to erode fatalism would only give rise to more, perhaps slightly different fatalism

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Fuschia tude posted:

"That was document A, this is document B with classification level C" isn't a different set of facts? I'm not sure I know what lawyers actually mean when they talk about the facts of a case
That's definitely what I was targeting. "Oh u see in previous lawsuit the charge was withholding documents from the national archives; this one is about possession of nuclear secrets under 18.3.4.cb5. The next one will be about possession of spy lists violating 18.4.3.bc5. The one after that..."

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather see him in prison and on trial for 375 sequential years, versus waiting 150yr for a trial that carries a 375yr sentence. But I rarely get what I want so :smithcloud:

-Blackadder- posted:

Her entire ruling is clown poo poo.
If snailfish colonies had clowns, her ruling would be snailfish clown poo poo.

Clarste posted:

Eh. The former is certainly true; a judge making an apparent error is challenged through appeal. I guess for the latter I'd say it's more of a "legal correction", namely that a public official violating the laws can be impeached. That would include laws/rules of the governing body, such as an oath of office.

"Politics" permeates all three branches, rules, procedures, and processes. I'd say the "political correction" is to vote out the person, or file a referendum for removal, or vote in people who will effect sufficient change that the person leaves on their own.

:shrug:?

ps Seriously how did they not have the appeal prepared? Are they accepting a 7wk delay just to look "politically unbiased"?

pps Can we all petition Bennie to give us a hearing every other week until then? :allears:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 16, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They do have an appeal filed. :rolleyes:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

ps Seriously how did they not have the appeal prepared? Are they accepting a 7wk delay just to look "politically unbiased"?

From what I understand, I think they procedurally had to ask the chudge to reconsider before appealing her order. That said, the DOJ did say "whatever on the non-classified stuff, but we need an answer from you on these secret documents by this date, anything longer than that is an unreasonable delay which we will interpret as a denial and we will appeal". The chudge gave her answer at pretty much the absolute last second. Now they can appeal, but I assume it takes time to adjust the appeal they had likely written up to include the bullshit that this chudge actually wrote.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
From my very, very limited understanding of the process their appeal filing also has a page limit, which is somewhat difficult when apparently every single part of the judge’s ruling is wrong in incredibly dumb ways

Oh, and they have to choose which of those incredibly dumb things the super conservative 11th Circuit will disagree with and not just rubber stamp

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Apparently Cannon's order to Dearie includes starting with the 100 classified documents. Dearie is thorough ("slow"), so the DOJ might wait to see if those are handled quickly, but decide to appeal in a couple weeks if there's still no progress.

There's no present reason to believe that Dearie would wait until November to get started, unless he happened to be at a Virginia golf course recently... :tinfoil:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't think there's any reason to believe the DOJ will wait, but for what its worth, that retired NY judge was the only guy on the list which Trump's team put up where the DOJ said "ok if we actually did have to go through this bullshit, Dearie is fine".

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

That's definitely what I was targeting. "Oh u see in previous lawsuit the charge was withholding documents from the national archives; this one is about possession of nuclear secrets under 18.3.4.cb5. The next one will be about possession of spy lists violating 18.4.3.bc5. The one after that..."

But there will be a bunch of common facts in the handling of all those documents that can only be litigated once. It doesn't really make sense to try them separately.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rigel posted:

I don't think there's any reason to believe the DOJ will wait, but for what its worth, that retired NY judge was the only guy on the list which Trump's team put up where the DOJ said "ok if we actually did have to go through this bullshit, Dearie is fine".

He's also the judge that heard the Carter Page case. He's have to recuse if there were any Page-related docs, I believe.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DOJ already said they would appeal this week if Cannon didn't relax her injunction barring them from using at least those hundred classified documents in their ongoing criminal investigation. Why are people assuming they're not going to do the thing they said they would do if she didn't grant any of their request by that deadline, now that she didn't grant any of their request by that deadline?

mdemone posted:

He's also the judge that heard the Carter Page case. He's have to recuse if there were any Page-related docs, I believe.

I believe the only legal requirement to recuse is if the judge has a financial stake in the trial's outcome, or there is proven or extremely likely bias on the judge's part. In 2009, SCOTUS ruled that a judge had to recuse from a case in which the defendant had spent $3 million to get the judge elected, despite a lack of proof of bias, under the Due Process clause.

Pretty sure "I adjudicated a case involving a third party mentioned in one of these thousand documents" is nowhere near that; basically anything below that 14th Amendment standard is at the judge's discretion.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well that's good news, it's the only possible reason I could think of that Trumpworld would have nominated him to begin with

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mdemone posted:

Well that's good news, it's the only possible reason I could think of that Trumpworld would have nominated him to begin with

Here’s a possibility, his lawyers don’t know what is in the documents even though they were in his possession. If this does happen they get to find out.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Piell posted:

A good rundown of how this ruling is nonsense bullshit

https://twitter.com/akivamcohen/status/1570742482157309952

This is a very encouraging (and maddening) read

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently Cannon's order to Dearie includes starting with the 100 classified documents. Dearie is thorough ("slow"), so the DOJ might wait to see if those are handled quickly, but decide to appeal in a couple weeks if there's still no progress.

There's no present reason to believe that Dearie would wait until November to get started, unless he happened to be at a Virginia golf course recently... :tinfoil:

It would be laughable if Dearie comes back Monday and is like, “Okay first parts done. Classified documents with control numbers go to FBI and Presidential Records are off to NARA, law was pretty clear on those. now let’s look at these supposed attorney client privilege docs.”

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cannon also gave herself the power to dismiss the SM for any reason and the final say on any disputes. Lol that the DOJ played along with her nonsense at all

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

brugroffil posted:

Cannon also gave herself the power to dismiss the SM for any reason and the final say on any disputes. Lol that the DOJ played along with her nonsense at all

I can't possibly decide on this stuff, I haven't seen everything yet!

Unless I have to. Then I will. Because as a judge, not trusting the government is my job!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
DoJs appeal,to the 11th circuit is up.

It’s about as polite a version of “she made up stuff that makes no sense” as it’s possible to make.

The bit where they point out that judge cannon is violating the constitutional authority of the president by effectively telling them who they can prosecute is good though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

brugroffil posted:

Assuming the appeal is successful, what happens next? Does this all get kicked back to Cannon for the next round of Calvinball, does it get moved to another justice, or does the 11th take over? Or is that going to be part of the 11th's decision?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Murgos posted:

DoJs appeal,to the 11th circuit is up.

It’s about as polite a version of “she made up stuff that makes no sense” as it’s possible to make.

The bit where they point out that judge cannon is violating the constitutional authority of the president by effectively telling them who they can prosecute is good though.

Here's a solid thread on it. She's also got a decent faq later in the thread. Most of the legalheads seem fairly certain that the 11th will overturn Cannon in the quickness. Guess we'll have to see.
https://twitter.com/Teri_Kanefield/status/1570967096842153984

Also Republicans having their own Star Trek Mirror Universe version of LegalTwitter is hilarious.
https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1570950438828277760

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 17, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Did Trump finally get scammed by a lawyer instead of the other way around?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1571065645076283394

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

Also Republicans having their own Star Trek Mirror Universe version of LegalTwitter is hilarious.
https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1570950438828277760

I don’t get it. Your interpretation simply can’t be that the government doesn’t get to use its own records of decision making to inform current decisions because a civilian with no constitutional authority wills it.

It’s willful absurdity, chaos, just an absolute admission that this is a game where there just is no other answer than my side wins, drat the consequences.

Edit: Teri’s faq is pretty good as a brief summary of where we are at and has some reasonable explanations for a lot of the common ‘why…’ questions that keep coming up. https://terikanefield.com/all-new-doj-investigation-faqs/

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 17, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IANAL and haven't even read the Presidential Records Act but I feel like that guy is shamelessly lying. There's no way the PRA says "former president gets to personally keep any records he wants, no matter how secret, in his closet"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

IANAL and haven't even read the Presidential Records Act but I feel like that guy is shamelessly lying. There's no way the PRA says "former president gets to personally keep any records he wants, no matter how secret, in his closet"

It specifically says he has to hand them over upon leaving office.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The entire government would screech to a halt as each president has to endlessly petition former presidents for permission to use materials generated from when they were in office.

The constitution is actually clear on this, a presidents term of office is 4 years. Period. All constitutional authority ends at the end of the term. That’s it. There is no lingering powers. The only possible prerogative that may exist but hasn’t been fully analyzed is that maybe a former president can prevent congress from looking at the direct communications between them and their closest advisors. Like meeting transcripts and emails and decision analysis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

I don’t get it. Your interpretation simply can’t be that the government doesn’t get to use its own records of decision making to inform current decisions because a civilian with no constitutional authority wills it.

It’s willful absurdity, chaos, just an absolute admission that this is a game where there just is no other answer than my side wins, drat the consequences.

Seems like you do get it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like you do get it?

Yeah, I guess I just find the full mask off, out in the open, “we’re ending constitutional government” strategy so unbelievable that I forget to take it into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Murgos posted:

Yeah, I guess I just find the full mask off, out in the open, “we’re ending constitutional government” strategy so unbelievable that I forget to take it into account.

Hasn’t it been decades since Mitch McConnell decided that Democratic presidents categorically shouldn’t get to appoint judges?