Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It has been over a decade since I thought about this game but presumably most people watching the scene have a much fresher memory of the game's events. I remember the rough outline of it all, though.

But do you think that maybe people could make these connections on their own without having the dying man spell it out? That they could remember what Angeal says to Zack without Zack having to repeat it to the detriment of his death's emotional impact?

This whole conversation started with someone else saying they disliked Zack's death speech and I remember when this game came out I talked to people who also felt it was bloated to hell. You would lose absolutely nothing by cutting those lines and just letting people remember what they heard a few hours before. "Oh...Zack is passing it on just like Angeal did.... I get it." There, done. You don't need Zack to spell out the meaning of the Buster Sword since that was already done. I think people can make such rudimentary connections on their own.

Maybe but that isn't how writing fiction works. Repetition is a commonly used tool.

Like FFX ends with Yuna literally spelling out the themes in a far more unnecessary scene but it bookends the story. In CC it is the close of Zack's story and ending with him repeating his line but with Cloud finishes it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

bookends are a writing Thing, or so i've heard

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

It has been over a decade since I thought about this game but presumably most people watching the scene have a much fresher memory of the game's events. I remember the rough outline of it all, though.

But do you think that maybe people could make these connections on their own without having the dying man spell it out? That they could remember what Angeal says to Zack without Zack having to repeat it to the detriment of his death's emotional impact?

This whole conversation started with someone else saying they disliked Zack's death speech and I remember when this game came out I talked to people who also felt it was bloated to hell. You would lose absolutely nothing by cutting those lines and just letting people remember what they heard a few hours before. "Oh...Zack is passing it on just like Angeal did.... I get it." There, done. You don't need Zack to spell out the meaning of the Buster Sword since that was already done. I think people can make such rudimentary connections on their own.

An utter rejection of the concept of narrative or symbolic writing. Luddite.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Look I don't understand what a theme is just like any other guy, but even I know that you want your main character's last words to be something special.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a theme is the song that plays when a character does something cool

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't played Crisis Core so I can't weigh in on that game specifically, but I don't think it's that far of a stretch that someone could find Final Fantasy writing unsubtle to its own detriment sometimes.

Like, I love FFX, but if someone said that it was too on-the-nose for them at times, I could see where they were coming from.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't played Crisis Core so I can't weigh in on that game specifically, but I don't think it's that far of a stretch that someone could find Final Fantasy writing unsubtle to its own detriment sometimes.

Like, I love FFX, but if someone said that it was too on-the-nose for them at times, I could see where they were coming from.

No, the sheer amount of posts in these megathreads that just misread half the plot points of games proves that they should be even less subtle about it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
still playing ff12. just got to salikawood.

i like this game, even though i think the battle system is a complete failure and the license board is monotonous (i just did max LP boost and i can't even be bothered to go unlocking them all), it's just got a very different tone in every way than every other FF game. it doesn't feel like it belongs in the series at all, even the way they integrate the usual FF elements is off-brand - you can kill black and red chocobos as god damned enemies, and even the yellow ones are used as beasts of war.

there's something that is both cool and teasing about how sparing they are with the worldbuilding - there's are a lot of concepts and lore in this that are just sort of thrown at you in passing without being explained or dramatised in much detail. so it feels like there's a big world going on here but you're only getting a little glimpse of it. the only other ivalice game i've played is vagrant story, which i love, but it's very self-contained and i think takes place in a whole different era than this. is FF tactics where ivalice really gets fleshed out? i feel like there should be a huge compendium in FF12 where you can read about all the histories and factions and weird stuff, but there isn't. just a bestiary, which is pretty cool, but limited.

still got a bunch of the game to go but i like it. i'm really liking the party members. bathier and fran are a+, they could have their own entire game. i want to know more.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe but that isn't how writing fiction works. Repetition is a commonly used tool.

Like FFX ends with Yuna literally spelling out the themes in a far more unnecessary scene but it bookends the story. In CC it is the close of Zack's story and ending with him repeating his line but with Cloud finishes it.

I really disliked that ending speech from Yuna, to be honest. Like you said it's painfully unnecessary.

But I see your point.

RareAcumen posted:

Look I don't understand what a theme is just like any other guy, but even I know that you want your main character's last words to be something special.

"You'll be my living legacy" seemed good enough to me.

Also this reminded me of a conversation I had with someone a long time ago. He thought Cowboy Bebop was the best and in discussing its virtues, he contrasted Spike's death with Wolfwood's in Trigun. Wolfwood has a little speech while all Spike said was "Bang."

Less is more is a concept lost on most people.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The FFXII Struggle for Freedom mod is decent they changed the job licenses, increased mob difficulty (normal mode is just 1.25 HP), and reworked a bunch of the useless abilities.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

cirus posted:

The FFXII Struggle for Freedom mod is decent they changed the job licenses, increased mob difficulty (normal mode is just 1.25 HP), and reworked a bunch of the useless abilities.

Yeah, I'll second this. SFF actually made me engage with the job and class system in a way I never was forced to before, and I don't think I'll ever play without some form of it again.

I played with the modified vanilla jobs, though I know it also has an option with custom jobs made with specific party members in mind available as well.

There's also a mod that makes Steal an actual Gambit and that is a criticism that I think everyone who's played 12 has had.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cirus posted:

Just play a good game instead!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

roomtone posted:

there's something that is both cool and teasing about how sparing they are with the worldbuilding - there's are a lot of concepts and lore in this that are just sort of thrown at you in passing without being explained or dramatised in much detail. so it feels like there's a big world going on here but you're only getting a little glimpse of it. the only other ivalice game i've played is vagrant story, which i love, but it's very self-contained and i think takes place in a whole different era than this. is FF tactics where ivalice really gets fleshed out? i feel like there should be a huge compendium in FF12 where you can read about all the histories and factions and weird stuff, but there isn't. just a bestiary, which is pretty cool, but limited.

Yeah this is one of the things I really enjoy about FFXII.

What's fun about Ivalice is that most of the entries leave a similar feeling about the world--there are a lot of details, but also lots of holes that ask you to imagine what goes there, and sometimes details that suggest more questions than they answer. The same is true of FFT, though in that case, FFT happens long after FFXII, in a "the magic has mostly faded" version of the world. It hints at a more high-magic past with moogles and more magical creatures and airships that FFXII sorta fills in, though it also doesn't quite fit with some of the historical texts you see in FFT, which raises more questions in a way that I think is kinda fun.

cirus posted:

Yeah Struggle for Freedom is good as hell. It's similar to the Tactics Ogre One Vision mod, in that it's an actually successful rebalancing mod, not just a "hard mode" mod. It buffs underpowered options, adds new options, tones down some things that were too strong, but overall increases variety in a way that feels actually balanced. It's really good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

e: f;b

My pet theory: FF1 was basically a D&D ripoff, and the creators were probably nerds.

If by "pet theory" you mean "widely known fact." The Eye/Phantom enemies in the famicon version were beholders, with very obvious Beholder sprites. Wizards were mindflayers. All 4 fiends are prominent D&D enemies...etc.

SettingSun posted:

Doublecast doesn't really have an equivalent in any system I know of but lots of modern systems have gish classes who love casting and stabbing.

https://adnd2e.fandom.com/wiki/Chain_Contingency among others.

NikkolasKing posted:

I always loved Red Mages and when I asked my tabletop nerd friends about an equivalent, the closest they could come up with was a Bard.

IIRc, Red Mage is a twist on Elf from first edition when it was an actual class like Fighter and Magic-User. The Capcom beat em up D&D arcade games use the OG D&D 'elf' and 'dwarf' classes too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So here's a question. What makes a Dragoon? Is it just "they use spears" - Is that it?

Because some people say VII Cid and Kimahri are Dragoons. But while I guess I'm only really thinking of Kain, I feel like Jump has to be a mandatory part of being a real Dragoon. It's really what makes them unique as a Class. If all they have is "uses spear" that's pretty lame.

Evil Fluffy posted:

IIRc, Red Mage is a twist on Elf from first edition when it was an actual class like Fighter and Magic-User. The Capcom beat em up D&D arcade games use the OG D&D 'elf' and 'dwarf' classes too.

That's really interesting to hear. Thank you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something interesting about Ivalice is that, because of how far apart each of the games are and how different the world is in each of them, it's debatable whether it's a shared setting at all. It's really more of a sub-series with its own set of shared elements than it is a coherent setting. There are some games that are definitely connected (Vaan and Penelo appear in FFTA2, for example) but while FFXII and FFTA/A2 are connected like that, it's unclear whether FFT or Vagrant Story are really connected or not. Even Matsuno has gone back and forth on that.

Anyway I like Ivalice a lot and that's one of the reasons.

NikkolasKing posted:

So here's a question. What makes a Dragoon? Is it just "they use spears" - Is that it?

Because some people say VII Cid and Kimahri are Dragoons. But while I guess I'm only really thinking of Kain, I feel like Jump has to be a mandatory part of being a real Dragoon. It's really what makes them unique as a Class. If all they have is "uses spear" that's pretty lame.

Spear and Jump.

Cid has multiple jump attacks in his limit breaks, and Kimahri's starting Ronso Rage is Jump. They're not Jump-centric but they do have jumps.

Meanwhile FFXII has the "Uhlan" job rather than Dragoon because while the job uses spears, it doesn't have Jump. And FFXIV's Lancer class doesn't have any jump attacks--you gain those when you become a Dragoon.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
cid is an alcoholic

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

That's really interesting to hear. Thank you.

I'd say spears and jumping are critical to being a Dragoon and this Kimarhi is one cuz of his Jump Overdrive, whereas XII doesn't have any Dragoons cuz while there are spear-weilding characters, none of them jump. I declared Ulhan the official Dragoon in XII in my summary but it's not, really. Same with Halver in XI

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2022

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So did Square only show like Crisis Core at TGS? They had XVI in their list of games at the show, is there gonna be another stream or are we not getting a second trailer for this game supposedly coming out by this time next year?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So did Square only show like Crisis Core at TGS? They had XVI in their list of games at the show, is there gonna be another stream or are we not getting a second trailer for this game supposedly coming out by this time next year?

Also Octopath 2, Star Ocean, Harvestella, Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, and a few other things. Nothing new for FFVII Rebirth or FFXVI, though.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"Force Your Way" has been stuck in my head since I started playing VIII

At least it loving slaps

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FrostyPox posted:

"Force Your Way" has been stuck in my head since I started playing VIII

Probably the best FF boss song of the era.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Red Mages must wear red, Dragoons must jump. These are the rules

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

They fixed that translation error, Aeris just this "This guy is sick" 0/10 game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
her name is aerith

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If I wasn't strictly sticking with default names for my first play through I would've named her "Aeristh"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I definitely owned a (pirated) copy of FFVII on PC and I played until Midgar fell out of the sky or whatever but I don't remember anything up to that point. I didn't realize the "Cloud Dresses Like A Girl" part was so early in the game. I just talked to the goon outside Don Corleone or whatever's mansion

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a theme is the song that plays when a character does something cool

Oh! Well in that case, themes are cool and I like them. Power Rangers is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FrostyPox posted:

If I wasn't strictly sticking with default names for my first play through I would've named her "Aeristh"

i liked the translation video series where her name was just entered as "AERIス"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I definitely owned a (pirated) copy of FFVII on PC and I played until Midgar fell out of the sky or whatever but I don't remember anything up to that point. I didn't realize the "Cloud Dresses Like A Girl" part was so early in the game. I just talked to the goon outside Don Corleone or whatever's mansion

All of Midgar total is probably generously 5 hours. It's pretty amazing they managed to flesh it out into a full game.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

Apparently in the internal files of FF7 she's correctly referred to as Aerith in every single instance where her name appears in English, except for the string that contains her default name when you name her

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Apparently in the internal files of FF7 she's correctly referred to as Aerith in every single instance where her name appears in English, except for the string that contains her default name when you name her

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chillgamesh posted:

The most Squaresoft thing I’ve ever read

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Those seem like two unrelated issues. Nobody said Necron is thematically inappropriate, just that his appearance is unexplained and random.

A story has to be cohesive and obey an internal logic, that is even more important than themes or ideas. Nobody knows what Necron is or where he came from, he's just here now and it's unsatisfying in the extreme, no matter how "thematic" it might be.

Saying this nonsense in the same week Jean-Luc Godard died is some cursed bullshit. Let's actually consider how Necron is presented in relation to the work. What are Zidane and Vivi's character arc's about, what is Freya and her Boyfriends arcs about, what is Kuja's arc about? What is Necron's name? Where does the fight take place? What is the final action Kuja takes before the fight? And finally what is the resolution to the story once Necron is Necgone? Anyone who can answer those questions can also answer who and why Necron is there. Saying his presence is random only betrays an inability to synthesize information, to understand meaning and intent in words instead of just the prose itself, and to understand that theme and tone are an integral piece of the fiction working in conjunction with the character work rather than seasoning to add to it. That is to say you think Theme is the pepper of your Steak au poivre, when it is in fact the muscle itself and the characters the fat.

I would strongly suggest you participate in a larger amount of differentiated art because your current pov in regards to art and storytelling are myopic in the extreme.

NikkolasKing posted:

CC was definitely made for people in high school. Genesis could only appeal to exceptionally pretentious 9th graders.

Always hated Genesis, Angel was alright. Cissnei was probably the best new character in the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NGL I was a tad confused by Necron's presence until I had it spelled out for me in a guide that he's the Eidolon manifestation of Kuja's nihilistic terror or something along those lines

Anyway I just got to the part where part of Midgard crushes Sector 7, I am unsure if this is where I stopped back in the day. RIP The Ironworks Employees

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 17, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Kimarhi learns stuff with Lancet, and iirc that move is just called “Dragon Sword” in Japan, so there’s another point for him at least.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When I first finished FF9 I somehow convinced myself that Necron was the ghost of the Iifa Tree caught in its own soul trap.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Saying this nonsense in the same week Jean-Luc Godard died is some cursed bullshit. Let's actually consider how Necron is presented in relation to the work. What are Zidane and Vivi's character arc's about, what is Freya and her Boyfriends arcs about, what is Kuja's arc about? What is Necron's name? Where does the fight take place? What is the final action Kuja takes before the fight? And finally what is the resolution to the story once Necron is Necgone? Anyone who can answer those questions can also answer who and why Necron is there. Saying his presence is random only betrays an inability to synthesize information, to understand meaning and intent in words instead of just the prose itself, and to understand that theme and tone are an integral piece of the fiction working in conjunction with the character work rather than seasoning to add to it. That is to say you think Theme is the pepper of your Steak au poivre, when it is in fact the muscle itself and the characters the fat.

I would strongly suggest you participate in a larger amount of differentiated art because your current pov in regards to art and storytelling are myopic in the extreme.

All you're proposing is beating people over the head with the ideas of the story so hard that you have to insert them in a physical form in the last five minutes of your game without explanation. You don't need an entity named the Ghost of War to show up at the end of a Gundam series.

Necron has to have an actual explained origin or else it's just hamfisted "GET IT" for the players . We got it when we defeated Kuja and when Gihren died, we didn't need it rammed down our throat by a being with zero foreshadowing or build.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 17, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Tifa just called Barret a r**ard

Oh, the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FrostyPox posted:

Tifa just called Barret a r**ard