Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

buglord posted:

About how many hours? I didn’t know it could be beaten. Thought it was a colony sim of sorts. Any replay value?

It took me 7 hours, it's both a light colony sim, and a rogue lite dungeon crawler. The game is a bit shallow, but it makes up for that with a wonderful presentation from the graphics, artwork, and soundtrack, making you feel good about being evil, and really solid combat. I think you can redo the dungeons to unlock more stuff? I haven't had a chance to go back and try yet, but i'm probably going to do a whole new playthrough too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cult of the lamb took me about ten hours, but I played on a hard difficulty and died a decent amount and took my time in the colony phase. An extremely charming game, enjoyed it a lot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I decided to give Cyberpunk 2077 another shot to see how it stacks up these days and here's a big huge post about how it's still a laughably bad videogame in every conceivable way and literally one of the worst big-budget AAA videogames of all time. This is written entirely in the context of playing it right now and does not include any prerelease hype or whatever.

The world is beautiful, but feels entirely lifeless. There are vast distances between points of interest (stores, missions, etc.) and absolutely nothing filling them up except crowds of the same 20-or-so pedestrian models. Those pedestrian models repeat so often that if you turn the Crowd Density setting up to High it's not uncommon to see groups of 3-5 literally 100% identical NPC pedestrians walking down the street together. When I say "not uncommon" I mean that literally anywhere you look that has pedestrians, you will see a group of identical NPCs. It almost* never rewards exploration - you're not going to stumble across things like hidden shops or unique NPCs or fun world-building lore snippets (you'll find readable lore things but 99% of them follow one of 2 or 3 madlibs templates) or scenic vistas or anything of the sort. The entire game was built with no player verticality in mind, there are very few places you can go to get a good scenic view of the city around you. Even with the double jump legs you can maybe get up on the roof of a 1-story building. Most of the appreciable game world exists above anywhere the player can reach on the Z-axis.
[*]there's one time in the entire game that I'm aware of where you are rewarded for exploring

The interface is clunky and awkward. The controls are bad. The button used to exit UIs like computers, store prompts, etc. is not consistent and seemingly every type of UI has its own method of closing it. It does that thing where any of your actions require not just pressing a key, but pressing and holding it for an entire second.

There's a literal ocean of perks to swim through and almost every single one of them is a small percentage increase to [stat]. 3% more damage with rifles, 5% faster charge speed with tech guns, etc. Very, very few of them are game-changers and there's no clear indication of which ones they are unless you read through all ~250-300 perks.

On the perk screen you have to press and hold F for one second to purchase a perk. But the UI and UX are so bad even beyond the incomprehensibility and poor readability of it all. For example, it doesn't matter where your mouse is when you start holding F - you will purchase the perk that your mouse is over when the one second timer is complete. You can begin the one-second countdown even when your mouse is not currently hovering over a perk, when you do this there is zero indication anywhere on the UI that the one second timer is ticking down (there's not even a big UI prompt saying you can hold down F like there is when your mouse is over a perk), and if you flick your mouse over a perk at the last moment while doing this you will purchase it. A lot of the perks have 3-5 ranks ("do 2%/4%/6%/8%/10% extra damage with handguns") which means you have to sit there for more than 5 total consecutive seconds to purchase all ranks of it and you can't even read the other perk tooltips or anything while you do that.

The entire UI across literally the entire game is riddled with weird UX moments like that, so while a 5 second delay to rank up a perk might not sound like much, you are dealing with those delays constantly throughout virtually everything you do. Like, in most games I hate that they constantly have an on-screen prompt showing you all of the context-sensitive buttons you can press to do meaningless things, but in Cyberpunk it's necessary because the controls are not consistent from one object/interaction type to the next. So I'm constantly having to scan my eyes around the screen looking at the prompts to figure out how the hell to do anything, which feels incredibly shameful to me as someone who never has to do that in any game.

The hacking is so incredibly un-fun (I played a hacker/crafter). Here's literally all it is: You play a stealth FPS game where the enemies have very poor eyesight and won't see you as long as you're 15+ feet away and crouched. Then you aim at them while holding tab. Then you select "Contagion" and press F, then you hide behind a wall for a few seconds while it kills everyone in the room. That's it. If you want to really get into it you can hide somewhere outside of the building entirely and just teleport between security cameras doing the same thing, and there's absolutely nothing the AI can do to stop you at all ever.

There's no "open world shenannigans" and I don't mean there aren't ubisoft-style openworld things to do scattered all over the map, I mean the world literally does not even attempt to react to you. Not only is there virtually no physics engine for things like causing public chaos (blowing up cars, etc) but the way the "Police" work in the game is still literally just: They are omniscent and spawn bad-AI-having unkillable troopers on top of you every few seconds until you run 100 feet away then they forget about you entirely. None of the NPC gab lines are funny or memorable.

Some parts of the world seem incredibly detailed - you'll find yourself stopping to look at all the neon signs lining a street and marvel about how each and every one of them seems to have its own flickering animations and effects. Then you'll walk to the next street over and you'll realize that none of the lights there are animated at all. The vast majority of the world is the "non-animated" type where entire city blocks are just entirely flat and static while others had a bunch of attention and detail poured into them. Might just be confirmation bias but the "care and detail" portion seems pretty heavily weighted toward the beginning of the game - so you start it up and think oh wow this world is so detailed and it's fun to just walk around and look in store windows - but then you progress an hour into the story and that stuff stops. The rest of the game takes place in empty wastelands, plain concrete industrial areas, etc.

The game's biggest fans really harp on how phenomenal the story and characters are but I find the writing and characters in both this and Witcher 3 unbearably bad and schlocky so take that as you will. I didn't like any of them, and I didn't have an emotional reaction to any of them, I didn't even dislike any of them enough to remember them. People especially like to talk about how great Keanu's character is but oh my loving god it is one of the worst-written and worst-performed videogame characters I've ever heard. He is absolutely 1000% an edgelord mary-sue wankfest that's written to fit a very misguided definition of "cool". The most standout moment was in some girl's apartment where you have to move a vending machine he makes some comment like "Peeps just don't clean their apartments anymore." and the way he says "Peeps" is the most unnatural, jarring thing, like you could tell even Keanu was thinking "are you really making me loving say this?"

The game is praised for having multiple (6) endings. But for the most part, it just lets you pick and choose one at the end. The exception to this is is the "secret" ending which requires selecting a specific dialog option at a specific unmarked unassuming point in the game, well before the end. That's all.

Major spoiler here: None of the endings are "good". No matter what you do, your character accomplishes nothing and dies immediately after the story. You make zero impact in the world, your story is meaningless because you don't even continue on past the credits sequence, there's zero weight or impact to any of your decisions much less what ending you choose. Even on a personal level for those whose lives you were a part of. You're not even a footnote, everything you did and everything you experienced just disappears. The entire game was such a wet fart I didn't expect any kind of satisfying ending but I call this out because this is something the game's biggest fans praise it for. They say it wouldn't be "cyberpunk" if everything you did wasn't 100% meaningless and accomplished nothing. These people have clearly never experienced cyberpunk media outside of the videogame Cyberpunk 2077 and it's super weird to think that a decision of incredibly poor writing is being hailed as some kind of subversion of the medium.

All in all still one of the worst video games I have ever played and it has possibly become even worse since release - I don't remember having 300+ perks to read through back then. If you want a static lifeless 3d model of a giant cyberpunk city to just uhh, look at, it's the best way to get that, but that's not even worth the $30 the game is on sale for right now and you'd be better served just looking at cyberpunk art on artstation or something.

edit: Oh I forgot my favorite thing it does: The writers have no trust in the player to actually exhaust dialog options so most dialog in the game will go like this:

-> We better get going (highlighted in yellow meaning it advances the conversation
-> Why did they have guns? (blue text, meaning it's optional and doesn't progress the conversation)
-> Did anyone survive? (blue text)

So you choose "Why did they have guns?" and the NPC says "Someone must have hooked them up with some guns."
Then you choose "Did anyone survive?" and the NPC says "No, no one survived."

Then you choose "We better get going." and the NPC says "Someone must have hooked them up with some guns. It's a shame no one survived. Let's get going."

So if you choose any of the optional dialog options, you get to hear the exact same response twice in a row, and if you skip to the the dialog-progressing option you have to listen to an exposition dump anyway, which seems to make skipping through all of the dialog options (ignoring all the blue options) the canonically correct way to play.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 17, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

buglord posted:

About how many hours? I didn’t know it could be beaten. Thought it was a colony sim of sorts. Any replay value?

Took me about 15 hours on the hardest difficulty doing basically everything. It's a great game but doesn't really have much in the way of replay value, I don't think different base building choices would have made much of a difference in how it progressed. The main downside is that the combat is kind of shallow and was starting to feel a bit dull by the time I finished, it probably would have overstayed its welcome if it was a 30 or 40 hour game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Cyberpunk 2077 is a great game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i approached it knowing that it was basically a half-failed experiment and enjoyed it a lot more on those terms

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Volte posted:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Cult of the Lamb really likes to make you think there's a lot more to it than there actually is. The tech/skill trees could have been compressed greatly, but then you'd have just a few nodes to work with. The game seemed to make a splash, so I hope they'll spruce it up with more content and flesh out the various systems as the foundation is there. It has great potential to be so much more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cyberjunk

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hwurmp posted:

Cyberjunk

Major disappointment you couldn't get a chromed dong that spits bullets

e: Male V could shoot once and then have to wait for a really long recharge

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Volte posted:

It was pretty good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cyberstunk

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Hwurmp posted:

Cyberstunk

They're still working out the kinks on chromed colons

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
cyberclunk is good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CP2077 is fine as a 20 hour linear action game but is truly disappointing if you go into it with any expectations of actual roleplaying, because it's nearly nonexistent. It also has one of the most pointless open worlds I've ever seen in a game, just marker after marker of 4 dudes with guns in a room that you kill and complete an objective while some old lady yells at you over the phone that you didn't do it quiet enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Failberfail

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Cult of the Lamb really likes to make you think there's a lot more to it than there actually is. The tech/skill trees could have been compressed greatly, but then you'd have just a few nodes to work with. The game seemed to make a splash, so I hope they'll spruce it up with more content and flesh out the various systems as the foundation is there. It has great potential to be so much more.

I think the biggest issue is that the management side is too easy to trivialize, which reduces the main draw of it over other roguelite games (since it doesn't have build variety like Hades or Binding of Isaac to keep the dungeon crawling part that interesting). Fishing and massing farms solves hunger even if you don't pick the trait to make it easy to just feed everyone grass all the time, and faith is too easy to maintain unless you intentionally let it sit. Sickness also just felt like a tech tax to get janitors/outhouses. Worshippers age quickly to encourage you to sacrifice them instead of hoard them, but you get so many ways to repopulate that you never really need to make a hard decision or pay attention to anyone outside of whoever you give a good necklace to.

If nothing else, there should be way more random events that affect your cult similar to the scripted effects so that you have tougher choices to make.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is a great game.

Agreed

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

so true

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

for me to poop on!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I just beaten Metal Hellsinger. Granted on gamepass but I didn't know to post here or in the xbox thread cause I do not own an Xbox. Not used to Xbox on windows.

I am a big fan of rhythm games and I played the demo months ago thinking this was such a cool idea. I got the game for free through Game pass on PC. My playthrough on Normal took me 6 hours and I am currently halfway through hard.

This game isn't for everyone. And ill go ahead and say that. if you absolutely loved Doom Eternal and pick this up; you will face some challenges as long as you shoot to the beat. Like advertised! But then the game slowly throws challenges and other skill based ways to make you have a higher score. When learning said skills while playing you can move onto hard.

If you time everything right and play the game with full combos and shooting demons accurately. This game is an absolute treat. And it looks cool. Can't want to see this speedrun.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I decided to give Cyberpunk 2077 another shot to see how it stacks up these days and here's a big huge post about how it's still a laughably bad videogame in every conceivable way and literally one of the worst big-budget AAA videogames of all time. This is written entirely in the context of playing it right now and does not include any prerelease hype or whatever.

The world is beautiful, but feels entirely lifeless. There are vast distances between points of interest (stores, missions, etc.) and absolutely nothing filling them up except crowds of the same 20-or-so pedestrian models. Those pedestrian models repeat so often that if you turn the Crowd Density setting up to High it's not uncommon to see groups of 3-5 literally 100% identical NPC pedestrians walking down the street together. When I say "not uncommon" I mean that literally anywhere you look that has pedestrians, you will see a group of identical NPCs. It almost* never rewards exploration - you're not going to stumble across things like hidden shops or unique NPCs or fun world-building lore snippets (you'll find readable lore things but 99% of them follow one of 2 or 3 madlibs templates) or scenic vistas or anything of the sort. The entire game was built with no player verticality in mind, there are very few places you can go to get a good scenic view of the city around you. Even with the double jump legs you can maybe get up on the roof of a 1-story building. Most of the appreciable game world exists above anywhere the player can reach on the Z-axis.
[*]there's one time in the entire game that I'm aware of where you are rewarded for exploring

The interface is clunky and awkward. The controls are bad. The button used to exit UIs like computers, store prompts, etc. is not consistent and seemingly every type of UI has its own method of closing it. It does that thing where any of your actions require not just pressing a key, but pressing and holding it for an entire second.

There's a literal ocean of perks to swim through and almost every single one of them is a small percentage increase to [stat]. 3% more damage with rifles, 5% faster charge speed with tech guns, etc. Very, very few of them are game-changers and there's no clear indication of which ones they are unless you read through all ~250-300 perks.

On the perk screen you have to press and hold F for one second to purchase a perk. But the UI and UX are so bad even beyond the incomprehensibility and poor readability of it all. For example, it doesn't matter where your mouse is when you start holding F - you will purchase the perk that your mouse is over when the one second timer is complete. You can begin the one-second countdown even when your mouse is not currently hovering over a perk, when you do this there is zero indication anywhere on the UI that the one second timer is ticking down (there's not even a big UI prompt saying you can hold down F like there is when your mouse is over a perk), and if you flick your mouse over a perk at the last moment while doing this you will purchase it. A lot of the perks have 3-5 ranks ("do 2%/4%/6%/8%/10% extra damage with handguns") which means you have to sit there for more than 5 total consecutive seconds to purchase all ranks of it and you can't even read the other perk tooltips or anything while you do that.

The entire UI across literally the entire game is riddled with weird UX moments like that, so while a 5 second delay to rank up a perk might not sound like much, you are dealing with those delays constantly throughout virtually everything you do. Like, in most games I hate that they constantly have an on-screen prompt showing you all of the context-sensitive buttons you can press to do meaningless things, but in Cyberpunk it's necessary because the controls are not consistent from one object/interaction type to the next. So I'm constantly having to scan my eyes around the screen looking at the prompts to figure out how the hell to do anything, which feels incredibly shameful to me as someone who never has to do that in any game.

The hacking is so incredibly un-fun (I played a hacker/crafter). Here's literally all it is: You play a stealth FPS game where the enemies have very poor eyesight and won't see you as long as you're 15+ feet away and crouched. Then you aim at them while holding tab. Then you select "Contagion" and press F, then you hide behind a wall for a few seconds while it kills everyone in the room. That's it. If you want to really get into it you can hide somewhere outside of the building entirely and just teleport between security cameras doing the same thing, and there's absolutely nothing the AI can do to stop you at all ever.

There's no "open world shenannigans" and I don't mean there aren't ubisoft-style openworld things to do scattered all over the map, I mean the world literally does not even attempt to react to you. Not only is there virtually no physics engine for things like causing public chaos (blowing up cars, etc) but the way the "Police" work in the game is still literally just: They are omniscent and spawn bad-AI-having unkillable troopers on top of you every few seconds until you run 100 feet away then they forget about you entirely. None of the NPC gab lines are funny or memorable.

Some parts of the world seem incredibly detailed - you'll find yourself stopping to look at all the neon signs lining a street and marvel about how each and every one of them seems to have its own flickering animations and effects. Then you'll walk to the next street over and you'll realize that none of the lights there are animated at all. The vast majority of the world is the "non-animated" type where entire city blocks are just entirely flat and static while others had a bunch of attention and detail poured into them. Might just be confirmation bias but the "care and detail" portion seems pretty heavily weighted toward the beginning of the game - so you start it up and think oh wow this world is so detailed and it's fun to just walk around and look in store windows - but then you progress an hour into the story and that stuff stops. The rest of the game takes place in empty wastelands, plain concrete industrial areas, etc.

The game's biggest fans really harp on how phenomenal the story and characters are but I find the writing and characters in both this and Witcher 3 unbearably bad and schlocky so take that as you will. I didn't like any of them, and I didn't have an emotional reaction to any of them, I didn't even dislike any of them enough to remember them. People especially like to talk about how great Keanu's character is but oh my loving god it is one of the worst-written and worst-performed videogame characters I've ever heard. He is absolutely 1000% an edgelord mary-sue wankfest that's written to fit a very misguided definition of "cool". The most standout moment was in some girl's apartment where you have to move a vending machine he makes some comment like "Peeps just don't clean their apartments anymore." and the way he says "Peeps" is the most unnatural, jarring thing, like you could tell even Keanu was thinking "are you really making me loving say this?"

The game is praised for having multiple (6) endings. But for the most part, it just lets you pick and choose one at the end. The exception to this is is the "secret" ending which requires selecting a specific dialog option at a specific unmarked unassuming point in the game, well before the end. That's all.

Major spoiler here: None of the endings are "good". No matter what you do, your character accomplishes nothing and dies immediately after the story. You make zero impact in the world, your story is meaningless because you don't even continue on past the credits sequence, there's zero weight or impact to any of your decisions much less what ending you choose. Even on a personal level for those whose lives you were a part of. You're not even a footnote, everything you did and everything you experienced just disappears. The entire game was such a wet fart I didn't expect any kind of satisfying ending but I call this out because this is something the game's biggest fans praise it for. They say it wouldn't be "cyberpunk" if everything you did wasn't 100% meaningless and accomplished nothing. These people have clearly never experienced cyberpunk media outside of the videogame Cyberpunk 2077 and it's super weird to think that a decision of incredibly poor writing is being hailed as some kind of subversion of the medium.

All in all still one of the worst video games I have ever played and it has possibly become even worse since release - I don't remember having 300+ perks to read through back then. If you want a static lifeless 3d model of a giant cyberpunk city to just uhh, look at, it's the best way to get that, but that's not even worth the $30 the game is on sale for right now and you'd be better served just looking at cyberpunk art on artstation or something.

edit: Oh I forgot my favorite thing it does: The writers have no trust in the player to actually exhaust dialog options so most dialog in the game will go like this:

-> We better get going (highlighted in yellow meaning it advances the conversation
-> Why did they have guns? (blue text, meaning it's optional and doesn't progress the conversation)

So you choose "Why did they have guns?" and the NPC says "Someone must have hooked them up with some guns."

Then you choose "We better get going." and the NPC says "Someone must have hooked them up with some guns. It's a shame no one survived. Let's get going."

So if you choose any of the optional dialog options, you get to hear the exact same response twice in a row, and if you skip to the the dialog-progressing option you have to listen to an exposition dump anyway, which seems to make skipping through all of the dialog options (ignoring all the blue options) the canonically correct way to play.

its good actually.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Have any of the patches added more enemy variety? From what I recall there was basically "guy who stands there shooting you with gun" and "guy who runs straight at you and stabs you with knife". Sometimes they had cybernetic enhancements, which meant they played a canned "dodge side to side quickly" animation while they ran at you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah they added wizards and dragons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

Have any of the patches added more enemy variety? From what I recall there was basically "guy who stands there shooting you with gun" and "guy who runs straight at you and stabs you with knife". Sometimes they had cybernetic enhancements, which meant they played a canned "dodge side to side quickly" animation while they ran at you.

No but they added a guitar that you can watch your character's hands play while sitting on the couch in your apartment and other such marvelous enhancements rehashes of assets that already existed in-game previously.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 17, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

It also has one of the most pointless open worlds I've ever seen in a game,
IMO the fact that it's basically just a beautiful setpiece is good enough justification for it to exist. It's cool to drive across the city in the rain at night with jazz playing in the car. I don't care that the traffic simulation is lovely or that there's not much to do on your average city block.

The actual most pointless open world ever is LA Noire.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Volte posted:

IMO the fact that it's basically just a beautiful setpiece is good enough justification for it to exist. It's cool to drive across the city in the rain at night with jazz playing in the car. I don't care that the traffic simulation is lovely or that there's not much to do on your average city block.

this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can drive at night with Jazz playing irl tho. What exactly is Cyberpunk offering me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the graphics are bette rthan irl

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Someone posted that Trolley Problem game before and I remembered when Prey made you do the Trolley Problem at the start and I laughed irl. Good game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Realms Deep 2022 recap

I'm gonna keep this one a bit simpler because, well, it's hard to trust so many games in early access from unproven developers to actually get finished. So I'm gonna stick to what I think are sure bets to be released, and you can look up the Realms Deep 2022 showcase on Youtube if you want to see the rest.

Phantom Fury
Dev: Slipgate Ironworks (3DRealms publishing)
Date: 2023

The sequel to Ion Fury will not actually be developed by the Ion Fury developers but by Slipgate Ironworks, who have been extremely busy, not just working on remasters of SiN and Kingpin but also developing Graven and co-developing the parkour ninja action-platformer Ghostrunner. It looks like a Half-Lifey romp, will have 20 different weapons, and apparently John Blade from SiN is in the game??

Bears in Space
Dev: Broadside Games

The devs cite inspiration from Timesplitters, Serious Sam, and Ratchet & Clank, in this game about a man stranded on an alien planet with his DNA fused with bear DNA, allowing him to transform into various bears that have unique abilities like double jumping, super speed, etc.

SacriFire
Dev: Pixelated Milk

While the delay is unfortunate, SacriFire is shaping up nicely as another in the line of HD-2D JRPGs, this from an indie developer. Also it's always nice to have games in this style that don't have 10 different post-processing effects applied and a dark as gently caress vignette at the corners. The combat seems interesting, almost like Parasite Eve where your actions are turn-based but between turns you're running around avoiding attacks.

BIOTA Swarm
Dev: Small Bros
Date: Q1 2023

Not quite a sequel, BIOTA Swarm is a roguelite that, well, I mean if you look at the screenshot where there are a billion enemies, it's hard not to think that this is a platformer take on Vampire Survivors.

Impaler
Dev: Apptivus
Date: Dec 6th
Price: $2.99

A minimalist arena shooter roguelite with a very cheap price point, and hey, a release date! And it's not early access! Not really my thing but might appeal to people who liked Ziggurat.

Project Warlock 2
Dev: Buckshot Software
Date: Chapter 2 update this Winter

There are no screens of the chapter 2 update on Steam yet, but it is set in the desert it looks like. The dev also is releasing an update that will revamp 6 of the levels from chapter 1 and split them up into 12 levels, with major graphical overhauls, improvements to pathing, and new secrets.

Hellscreen
Dev: uk resistant
Date: Episode 1 early 2023

The interesting gimmick of this one involves having a rear view mirror and letting you shoot enemies behind you, as well as spotting invisible enemies (ala In Sound Mind). Also sounds like it will have Metroidvania aspects to it with ability unlocks. The brutal two-tone look of the game will likely be divisive.

Fi da Puti Samurai
Dev: Zanardi and Liza
Date: Out in EA, 1.0 TBD (though it sounds like early 2023)

Uhh I don't know what to make of this game. It seems horny as all get out with you fighting anime ladies in a vr-cyberpunk roguelite setting. The dev has released games before so I assume this one will hit 1.0. I just don't know if it's worth posting?? Might be amusing to watch Civvie play it.

Blood West
Dev: HyperStrange
Date: October 31st for Chapter 2

Chapter 2 of Blood West takes you out to the swamps.... for the uninitiated, Blood West is a wild west immsim where you're brought back from the dead to fight demons. HyperStrange is a full on boomer shooter publisher and developed the Postal spinoff Brain Damage, so I have full faith in this hitting 1.0 early next year. Should be an interesting one.

Supplice
Dev: Mekworx (published by HyperStrange)
Date: EA launch March 30, 2023

It's been nebulous about its release date but we've finally got one. This DOOMy title comes from a team of former Doom modders/mappers, so it will probably lean on the more hardcore/challenging side. UPDATE: On Twitter the dev has clarified that this is Early Access, because.. of course it is.

Wizordum
Dev: Emberheart Games
Date: TBD

A tribute to Ken's Labyrinth/Catacombs by the dev of Courier of the Crypts, as well as the dev who Apogee entrusted with several HD remasters of classic DOS games like Secret Agent. I like the bright and clean 16-bit look to the game, helps to set it apart from other games on this list. Demo was released today.

Tenebris Somnia
Dev: Andres Borghi, Tobias Rusjan

A combination of survival horror like Resident Evil, with an adventure game setting like Clock Tower, with a look very remniscent of Maniac Mansion (but without the bobbleheads). This game will have live-action cutscenes, which is a heck of a lot of extra effort to put into your solo dev game, so I have a feeling this one will get finished, if nothing else than the sunk cost on filming all of the live action material. Hope it turns out well!

Diluvian Ultra
Dev: Crest Helm Studios
Date: 2022

This one's kind of odd, it's a space fantasy where you're a prince whose fleshy tomb-ship has been invaded by intruders and you must stop them with a combination of traditional weaponry and living organic weaponry. Similar to Fashion Police Squad, you'll need to switch weapons to deal with different enemies, such as stripping armor off of enemies first before you can deal damage.

Dread Templar
Dev: T19 Games
Date: 2022 (I believe)

The next update for Dread Templar is the 1.0 launch, which they showed a sneak peek of during the show. While a date wasn't given, the EA roadmap on the Steam forums listed the 1.0 target for October (and it hit its previous update target on the dot). I think there's a chance it slips to November or December, but I do think it'll release this year.

Alder Choke
Dev: Madame Cyclone

A "narrative boss rush action game" that looks like it will be brutally difficult. People in both Youtube and Twitch chat inaccurately described it as "Celeste with guns". It's not that, lol

Spookware Episode 2
Dev: Beeswax Games
Date: Out Now

A surprising announcement and shadowdrop, episode 2 of Spookware was not only released today, but it is available for free to owners of episode 1!

Dread Delusion
Dev: Lovely Hellplace
Date: Content Update out now, 1.0 in early 2023

The second content update for Dread Delusion since launch adds a whole new island with a house you can get the deed to and upgrade, as well as a new quest chain and improvements to combat like parrying. The dev also promises more player housing in the future, but this is the largest one that will exist in the game. I'm excited to see how this one turns out as someone who liked the demo and its retro take on Elder Scrolls (with a dash of King's Field).

Sentry
Dev: Fireblade Software
Date: EA Launch in 2023

A mix of first person shooting and tower defense with a very clean artstyle that could be a nice spiritual successor to the Sanctum series.

Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer
Dev: "Big Z Studios Inc."
Date: "500N" (end of trailer hinted 2023)

A spinoff of Hypnospace Outlaw starring everyone's favorite internet badass, Zane_Rocks_36. With music by bands from Hypnospace like Seepage, and sick state of the art graphics (Zane put as many graphics in as possible, and he's still workin hard, hader than anyone especially the HATErs), Slayers X is going to save gameing. Demo now available.

White Hell
Dev: Robert Raulus, Mikko Tamper, Antti Allen
Date: Content Update released just a few weeks ago

Chapter 3 part 1 was dropped in mid-August and has death gods, a mountain with a face, and a lot more greenery than the screenshots above suggest. For all I know, that's just what Finland is like. The original target for 1.0 release was this year but my assumption is that they likely finish the game early 2023. The demo wasn't really to my taste but I think some people will like it, it's got what one commenter called "N64core" aesthetic and I kind of agree with that.

AWOL
Dev: Shotspark Studios
Date: Released Yesterday
Price: Freeware

An attempt to make a 2000s-era tactical squad-based shooter but in the Build engine, AWOL has been in development since as early as 2005, so I guess Ghost Song and Black Ice aren't the longest active games in development after all. AWOL is free as in freeware rather than f2p, so no MTX or IAP. I bet it'll be janky but might be worth a look since it costs nothing.

Extraneum
Dev: David Jalbert
Date: Episode 2 releases in Q4 2022

With the EA release date in June, the dev of Extraneum is certainly working pretty quickly to get this game to the finish line. Perhaps the more lo-fi Wolfensteiny look helps that. Civvie actually liked the first episode of this game a lot in one of his recent roundup videos.

Prodeus
Dev: Bounding Box Software
Date: v1.0 releases September 23rd

It's finally time. One of the best reviewed and critically acclaimed boomer shooters to come this generation is finally hitting 1.0, bringing all its meaty chunky combat, gorgeous visuals and animation, and built-in level editor with mapping community/browsing integration to Steam and Gamepass. While Elden Ring has the #1 spot in this year's goon GOTY without question, the #2 spot is certainly up for grabs, and Prodeus could be the one to take the spot (if it doesn't go to Disco Elysium or FF14 or something).

Chasm: the Rift
Dev: Action Forms, General Arcade
Date: October 10th

The game that unfortunately had to compete with Quake (at the time) finally gets its own remaster, and honestly, it looks a lot better in motion than the screenshot suggests.

Team 17 Showcase
Games Shown: Trepang2 (no date), Ship of Fools (Nov 22), Marauders (EA October), Autopsy Simulator (November), Bravery & Greed (2022), The Knight Witch (2022), The Unliving (EA October 31), Dredge (2023), Moving Out 2 (2023), Golf With Your Friends (sports content update)

So... Team 17 took up a large portion of the showcase for some reason, and... I don't think Team17 really 'gets' Realms Deep? A couple of games got release dates, but they're not exactly first person shooters. I'm sure someone will be excited that Golf With Your Friends is getting a content update. But this stuff could've been saved for a different event.

Peripeteia
Dev: Ninth Exodus

An imm-sim directly inspired by Deus Ex that for some reason has an anime girl protagonist. It looks to be heavy on the RPG and dialog aspects, and promises verticality and stealth options in addition to guns blazing combat.

Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition
Dev: Nightdive, Apogee
Date: TBD

A collaboration between Nightdive and New Blood, ROTT is getting a 4K/uncapped fps re-release with (slightly) enhanced visuals, multiple soundtracks, level editor, and an entirely new episode.

Amid Evil: The Black Labyrinth
Dev: Indefatigable
Date: TBA

Well, the good news is, we got gameplay footage of the Amid Evil expansion for the first time in a while. It had a cool scythe with an extremely powerful room-clearing attack. The bad news is, there's STILL no release date on this. I was so sure we'd get one, so I'm pretty darn disappointed. Dave Oshry originally said 2022 was the target but who knows at this point.

Cultic
Dev: Jasozz Games
Date: EA launch October 13th

After a couple of last-minute delays in the Steam queue, Cultic has a date. It's a tribute to Blood with a fun grungy (and intentionally limited color palette) look, and pre-release reviews have been positive from what I've seen.

Graven
Dev: Slipgate Ironworks
Date: Content Update Out This Week

After a stumble out of the door resulting in some poor first impressions, Slipgate has spent a lot of time on fixing bugs and adding little bits of content over time. This is another content update of that ilk, with a new area as well as bugfixing. Still, they haven't yet made it out of the first hub of the game, so I would say full release on this one is probably not likely until late 2023 at this rate, especially with the other projects they're busy with.

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin
Dev: KillPixel
Date: Spring 2023

Another game that's been in development for a long time, Wrath looks to be skipping future content updates and jumping straight to a 1.0 release this Spring. Which is fine, I mean if they're gonna put the whole game out then I'm fine with it. That would mean that all those games you bought in the Humble Boomer Shooter bundle a few months ago will likely all be at 1.0 by mid-2023 and you can finally play them.

Combustion
Dev: Slipgate Ironworks
Date: TBA

Okay, seriously, where does Slipgate have the time & resources to be working on all these games, what are they Square-Enix? This one is a PS1-style ARPG with talking animals and some definite Metal Gear Solid influence, although the game's description emphasizes action, not stealth. Hopefully Slipgate can get all these games out. I expect that they will which is why I've listed them all.

---

And that was the show! Ok there was one more game after that but it was so tonally unlike everything else that it really deflated the whole thing haha. It was a pretty good showing of a lot of titles, but, the biggest problem is just how many games are Early Access or have no release date in sight. There were a lot more games I didn't list that I just don't trust will make it to 1.0 yet, until I see more updates from their respective developers. It was a two-hour show so you can watch it if you want to see what I didn't cover.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 17, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I appreciate that post.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ooh, tossed a few of those on the ol' wish list. Thanks!

I'm enjoying this PS1 aesthetic trend, but I feel like these boomer shooters are all starting to run together a bit (except for Zane's, of course, that one really stands out :v:)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zathril posted:

I don't have a problem with reading, is the story good?

Yeah, it's great. It and the two sequel games go really hard on building an entire world

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Begemot posted:

Ooh, tossed a few of those on the ol' wish list. Thanks!

I'm enjoying this PS1 aesthetic trend, but I feel like these boomer shooters are all starting to run together a bit (except for Zane's, of course, that one really stands out :v:)
the funny thing is that, even if you add all the games I didn't mention from the showcase, it still doesn't cover the full spectrum of boomer shooters in the works. i have some on my wishlist like Anomalous and Devilated that were not covered today and probably won't show up at all this week. Viscerafest also didn't feature today but I wouldn't be shocked if it appears in one of the Realms Deep non-showcase streams that happen over the next couple of days. There's also Core Decay, and Robobeat, and Ion Fury: Aftershock, and, yeah the list can keep going and going.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 17, 2022

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Too much boomers in my shooters imho

Bring back cover mechanics and cinematic moments (it’s new now)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Realms Deep 2022 recap

AWOL
Dev: Shotspark Studios
Date: Released Yesterday
Price: Freeware

An attempt to make a 2000s-era tactical squad-based shooter but in the Build engine, AWOL has been in development since as early as 2005, so I guess Ghost Song and Black Ice aren't the longest active games in development after all. AWOL is free as in freeware rather than f2p, so no MTX or IAP. I bet it'll be janky but might be worth a look since it costs nothing.
AWOL has some nice art and some neat ideas, but it's a hot, hot mess. Your AI teammates have a proclivity for climbing walls like spiderman while ignoring all the bullets spraying into their back, bullets have a proclivity for colliding with thin air, the attempts at storytelling can't maintain a consistent tone, and the level design trends towards sprawling and unfocused, leaving you wandering back and forth flailing for some sign of progression.

Lemme put it this way: There's an objective tracker, but it only ever displays a paragraph of Lorem Ipsum and never changes.

But hey, it's free, the price is right. You'll probably get some fun out of it, whether intended or not.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Volte posted:

:hmmyes:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I decided to give Cyberpunk 2077 another shot to see how it stacks up these days

Yeah, all of that is accurate.

There's no fixing that game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

cyberpunk 2077 is pretty fun