Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Yeah from a certain perspective it's really impressive. It's like an internal proof of concept that some beleaguered hardware engineer scraps together from what's available and you don't hear about it until someone writes a book ten years later, except it managed to be good enough to sell.

This reminds me that Sony does these little hardware experiments all the time and a lot of them go nowhere, but some of them really add up. Like I was watching this guy talk about the haptics in the PSVR headset and I was thinking to myself "hmm, integrated with 3D audio, that might be really cool, I wonder what prompted them to do that?"

And then I remembered my Pulse Elite headset from 2013, it literally had rumble built in around the earcups (ie 'Pulse') and at the time I just couldn't figure out why they'd put such a stupid feature onto a pair of headphones. But that was before the contemporary voice coil actuators were a big thing in gaming hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

At least no one ever replicated FFXV's brainfart of having jump and confirm on the same button.

that poo poo is pure evil haha

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also my understanding of the problems aside if Deracine doesn’t get a VR2 port I am going to poo poo on Sony’s lawn in retaliation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

woof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnmKzYME8BM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haha it even works on launch xbone

trying to imagine rn how insanely mad i'd be if i figured out there was 95% finished factions 2 locked inside the 2LOU game disc

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
343 really dropped the ball.

called out sick today so gonna see if I can beat Returnal.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm def wondering if it was some mandate from above and they were just between a rock and a hard place about it, because it seems like high profile figures are now leaving the studio. I haven't been into Halo since I bought the map expansion disc for H2, but man what a missed opportunity in a year where very little else was released.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ch4GMj4Vs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It should be abundantly clear to
anyone who has used both psvr and a modern inside out tracking headset why psvr2 being backwards compatible would be basically impossible.

I do hope a lot of games get free compatibility updates but the lack of BC isn’t a surprise at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

343 are a genuine disaster of a dev company. I have no idea why MS keeps the around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

343 are a genuine disaster of a dev company. I have no idea why MS keeps the around.

Sure I guess, but it makes me wonder if a decision like this was made above 343, like for example, $70 pricetag for last of us remake isn't a decision ND had any say in, it's a mandate from corporate, but ND pretty much had to shoulder the bad press over it. 343 lead and their slipspace engine lead both leaving in proximity to this news raises questions.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
So something I’ve always wondered about suikoden since reading about it back in the day in PSM. If you have over 100 party members how the hell do you even manage that? Do you maintain their state, equipment and level ups? How do you even keep track of their abilities?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

So something I’ve always wondered about suikoden since reading about it back in the day in PSM. If you have over 100 party members how the hell do you even manage that? Do you maintain their state, equipment and level ups? How do you even keep track of their abilities?

It's a gimmick, a trophy before there were trophies. You have a castle where they hang out and do lifetasks, you can choose 6 to take with you at any time, most of them are the same and the equipment game is very simplified, a few of them stand out, and based on star charts some of them can be combined for team-up attacks.

It's quaint but not super deep. Then there are grand strategy battles which are very simplified, almost cutscenes.

Valkyrie Profile also does the big cast thing but it's more like 25+ characters and they're all super detailed with different attack animations, properties, specials, voice acting, etc. It's an experimental facet of jrpg design at the time that was trying out whizbang the big budget games by Square by throwing everything at the wall and seeing if it worked.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I continue to not be interested in VR until it’s wireless, doesn’t look like crap, and also can be used for AR. So like, 10 years off.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The demo's awesome. I enjoyed it immensely.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

bloodychill posted:

I continue to not be interested in VR until it’s wireless, doesn’t look like crap, and also can be used for AR. So like, 10 years off.

If you have a good PC then the Quest 2 is wireless and you can stream it from your PC so it doesn't look like poo poo.

On another note, I built the skyscraper in the new Saints Row and sang Love Shack karaoke with my friends. It was very cute and made me smile but then it dragged on entirely too long. Decent game but not great. I'll platinum it when they fix the challenges not tracking. I literally have one trophy that should have popped but didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noob Saibot posted:

Most of the 108 stars are people that hang out at your castle doing stuff, there are probably 30-40 actual party characters and equipment is pretty basic, characters don't have different weapons you just use a blacksmith to make them more powerful, catch up exp is huge so it only takes a couple of fights to get them around the same level, abilities are dependent on what rune they have equipped and you can just swap them around etc. Basically everything is as simple as possible lol
Party size is relatively large too, six people instead of the usual four.

You usually just end up with a few favourites you use all the time for their team up skills or whatever + what the game forces you to use.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I have restarted playing God of War after never finishing it years ago, adhd, in hopes of finishing it in time to justify buying the new one, and I am pissed that I took so long to try and play again. I have gotten an hdr tv and Ps5 since then and it is god drat jaw dropping in hdr. Also I never got to grab the blades of chaos my last attempt, and they are so loving good in this game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

To whichever goon in the previous thread told people to change the internet settings on PS5 from automatic to use 5 only, holy poo poo THANK YOU, World of difference.

I’ve spent all this time since launch wondering why PS downloads were as slow as they were. Stupid that you have to do that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I will never be interested in VR, but I'm glad people have fun with it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I feel like I'd like to read a novelization of Chorvs, but dang if the game doesn't drag on a while. That said I'm clearly doing something wrong because other people are finishing this thing in far less time than I've spent on it. I like the play of it well enough, but then there's these minutes long segments of just flying in a straight line. Woof.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Er, when was the last time you played VR? Because all of those things exist right now and have for a couple of years at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I continue to not be interested in VR until I don't have to spend another £300 to use it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anybody else have an issue with their Dualsense on PS4 games where after a while the "rumble" starts feeling really rough and wobbly? Restarting the Dualsense seems to fix it right away, I've noticed it on PS4 games in the past but I'm really noticing it in GoW where it rumbles every time you sprint.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They were pretty explicit about their belief in generations hth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main thing about VR that has me disenfranchised has nothing to do with the technology, which has improved significantly since it gained traction in 2016 and everything to do with the lack of support from the industry.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The main thing about VR that has me disenfranchised has nothing to do with the technology, which has improved significantly since it gained traction in 2016 and everything to do with the lack of support from the industry.

This is what made me a big fan of PSVR to be honest. It’s a relatively niche thing, but Sony’s support for it (and for devs using it) was and is pretty drat good. Having dedicated console hardware to use it with and a mandated baseline of performance both help a ton compared to PCVR setups or even something like the Quest, and I really hope they can knock it out of the park in that respect with the PSVR2.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

haha it even works on launch xbone

trying to imagine rn how insanely mad i'd be if i figured out there was 95% finished factions 2 locked inside the 2LOU game disc

Theres elements in it iirc, not 95% tho that would cause riots

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

man nurse posted:

To whichever goon in the previous thread told people to change the internet settings on PS5 from automatic to use 5 only, holy poo poo THANK YOU, World of difference.

I’ve spent all this time since launch wondering why PS downloads were as slow as they were. Stupid that you have to do that.

It was me. I'd quote it and put it here and have BP put it in the op but I'm on my phone and quite honestly don't know how to quote posts from different threads. I'd also put in the part that another goon mentioned that it might make playing multi player worse just in case.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tethered vr is way less appealing now in 2022 than 2016. The cost is going to be high, the library is going to be small, and the distraction of supporting it is going to make even bigger gaps in 1st party releases for the regular console.

I dont see them outselling psvr 1 when oculus is cheaper than a switch, no tether, bigger library, and theres not the same vr hype as when psvr 1 launched and vr was the biggest new thing in gaming.

I think they are just gonna try and get all you 1 owners to rebuy beat saber before ghosting you on software support after 18 months

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

Tethered vr is way less appealing now in 2022 than 2016. The cost is going to be high, the library is going to be small, and the distraction of supporting it is going to make even bigger gaps in 1st party releases for the regular console.

I dont see them outselling psvr 1 when oculus is cheaper than a switch, no tether, bigger library, and theres not the same vr hype as when psvr 1 launched and vr was the biggest new thing in gaming.

I think they are just gonna try and get all you 1 owners to rebuy beat saber before ghosting you on software support after 18 months

I mean, RE8 VR’s a launch title and it looks better than RE7 VR, which was pretty much totally worth the asking price of the whole deal. If that’s all I get out of it, then so be it, I’m OK with this.

Besides, new PSVR1 poo poo is still coming out pretty often. Not a lot of first party stuff for a while now but if you’re into it there’s still poo poo to play.

I get that “PSVR enthusiast” is kind of an edge case but I never really felt like it got abandoned or anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Quest 2 actually got it's price raised by $100 so it's no longer cheaper than a Switch and probably wont be cheaper than PSVR 2. Quest 2 is pretty cool outside of the Facebook thing but it's still running on cell phone architecture so the games aren't nearly as flashy as what PS5 can do without wirelessly connecting to a PC which still has issues.

Sony ghosting customers is a concern for sure though, but PSVR 2 should be getting just about everything that's on PC so there won't be a shortage of games. AAA games...? who knows? It's very possible PSVR2 will be a good buy unless you are really that concerned about a single cord which personally I couldn't care less about. Would rather not have to deal with latency from wireless.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i dont want anyone to feel bad about being excited i just think theres no growth for teathered console vr at like 900 dollar buy in for both units

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

Er, when was the last time you played VR? Because all of those things exist right now and have for a couple of years at least.

If there’s a headset that’s wireless and lets you see around you and do AR and optimally engage VR, they’re not talking about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Also cost of entry for quality VR remains, as usual, a barrier of entry that keeps it from becoming a thing where, say, comedy and podcast acts I like would do virtual shows. They don’t want audiences of 20 and to be talking to people who look like Miis.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wo Long demo is fantastic.

For my second run I tried the NPC summon and lol. It’s even more of a game breaking easy-mode than mimic tear. The dude stays with you even through checkpoints and is healed by them. Completely breaks the enemy AI. I was able to button mash my way through the final boss with him at my side.

Cool that it’s there for people who want a quick way past roadblocks, I suppose.

Fix posted:

I feel like I'd like to read a novelization of Chorvs, but dang if the game doesn't drag on a while. That said I'm clearly doing something wrong because other people are finishing this thing in far less time than I've spent on it. I like the play of it well enough, but then there's these minutes long segments of just flying in a straight line. Woof.

I feel like the time spent between combat missions were minute. Are you using all the boosts and fast travel lanes? (I forget the in game name).

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 17, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i dont want anyone to feel bad about being excited i just think theres no growth for teathered console vr at like 900 dollar buy in for both units

I think the tradeoff is the games are going to be able to look incredible, and Sony’s probably keeping up their hard-rear end stance on performance minimums.

Is it gonna change the industry? Eh, maybe not, but it should be a pretty quality thing. (And nothing stopping them from making a wireless version down the line. Gotta make those early adopters get FOMO somehow!)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sony is doing such a great job keeping up the the demand for ps5 content I can't imagine why adding another platform would hurt

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

You're so wrong you wouldn't know right if it kicked you in the shins.

Real hurthling! posted:

poo poo, maybe you do know what you're talking about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tim Rogers is playing one of the PS5's Top 5 Exclusives, Astro's Playroom

https://twitch.tv/actionbutton

Edit: "Asobi" means "To play" -- Tim Rogers

lmao he has died 5 times at the beginning of cooling springs already

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 17, 2022