Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

MariusLecter posted:

Nedry is an anagram of Nerdy.

Yrden is a Witcher sign, used for stopping monsters getting close. Very ironic, dontcha think?

It's like raaaa-aaaaiiin on your wedding day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Biplane posted:

been saying this

That's only if you like cool cop movie

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Spielberg didn't care about whether a cliff is present in the same scene, he probably wasn't analyzing what a dinosaur may or may not have considered a threat display. The carnivores are monsters as far as the movie is concerned, the don't have to act like real animals and they can be deliberately cruel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

World’s End is a weak movie on its own merits.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That's only if you like cool cop movie

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I hated World's End when I saw it because 1) it's set in and around Hatfield and that's way too close to home and 2) it seemed like the movie thought Nick Frost's character should be drinking and shouldn't have given it up and I hate that. And the main character was loving intolerable, and Martin Freeman's character *died* horribly and it ended up a joke, and I dunno. It was missing a kind of emotional reality that made Shaun and Hot Fuzz work for me. Probably just not quite the movie I was looking for.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just saw 3000 Years of Longing and really enjoyed it. Especially the abstract visuals when the nature of stories is being discussed, and the genuinely funny moments between the tragic beats in the story, like Sugarlump's discovery of the lamp

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

World’s End is a weak movie on its own merits.

Well it had that scene at the end where the Backstreet Boys came back so the movie wasn't all bad i think

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Isn't that This is The End? Or are you just taking the piss and I'm missing the joke.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Well it had that scene at the end where the Backstreet Boys came back so the movie wasn't all bad i think

All right!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The world's end was great simply because Pierce Brosnan was in it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The world's end was great simply because Pierce Brosnan was in it.

Was there a Bond in Shaun of the Dead?

Since Timothy Dalton was in Hot Fuzz now I'm wondering if it's a thing in that trilogy...

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching the 1985 Teen Wolf & the scene just before Stiles gets Scott & Boof out of the closet he's talking to a couple (looks like they swapped clothes) about their challenge. The girl is handed a small empty salt shaker-sized container & is told to "test the guy's blood sugar."

I somehow never noticed the scene in general but now I realized she was asked to drink his piss as that's how people tested for diabetes in the day. :pisstape:

Points docked as Stiles asks if Scott is a fag in the garage before Scott reveals he's a werewolf.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Don't know how subtle a moment this is, but I liked the fact that in the Eyes Wide Shut scene where Tom Cruise buys a newspaper at the bodega (the scene where he's being followed), the front page headline is "Lucky To Be Alive". That fits with the multiple warnings he gets from the sex cult not to keep looking into them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They used to test for diabetes in the 80s by drinking urine?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, they don't do that anymore? My nephrologist has so much to explain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk about the 1980s but sugary piss was historically one of the main diagnostic criteria. My parents were nurses (graduated in the 1970s) and they used to prank newbies by diagnosing a patient by drinking from their catheter, "hmmm ahhh, yep, diabetes for sure. You wanna try?" (catheter contained fruit juice diluted to match color).

Diapers & nutella was another one but I think that was just about waiting until the student says "hey you got something on (finger/lip)" and then licking it off.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm watching the 1985 Teen Wolf & the scene just before Stiles gets Scott & Boof out of the closet he's talking to a couple (looks like they swapped clothes) about their challenge. The girl is handed a small empty salt shaker-sized container & is told to "test the guy's blood sugar."

I somehow never noticed the scene in general but now I realized she was asked to drink his piss as that's how people tested for diabetes in the day. :pisstape:

Points docked as Stiles asks if Scott is a fag in the garage before Scott reveals he's a werewolf.

And then Michael j fox embarrassedly says “I’m not a fag

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

freeedr posted:

And then Michael j fox embarrassedly says “I’m not a fag

tbh i would be surprised if the lead didnt say that in an 80s movie

its part of their characterization, in case youre in doubt or not in doubt

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Some old af medical texts reference sweet urine and honey urine disease. Tasting is a direct way of diagnosis but also seeing if ants go for your piss cause they will go for the sugar content.

At least in Europe I think the physician would likely recommend their lord or king avoid sweets and do more physical activities.

Ah, here's something.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707300/

quote:

Around the 5th century BC, the famous Indian surgeon Sushruta, in his work Samhita, identified diabetes, by using the term madhumeha (honey-like urine) and pointed out not only the sweet taste of the urine but also its sticky feeling to the touch and its ability to attract the ants (!). Sushruta further mention that diabetes affects primarily the rich castes and is related to the excessive food consumption as the rice, cereals and sweets[6].

quote:

In ancient China, Chang Chung-Ching (ca. 160-ca. 219), referred to as “the Chinese Hippocrates”, described polyuria, polydipsia and loss of weight as symptoms of a specific disease, while in 7th century AD Chen Chuan recorded the sweet urine in diabetes mellitus and named the disease Hsiao kho ping mentioning its characteristic symptoms: intense thirst, copious drinking and large amounts of urine which is tasted sweet. In an attempt to treat that disease his colleague Li Hsuan proposed the abstinence from wine, salt and sex[6].

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
The problem with "The Worlds End" is that Simon Peggs character is such an absolute oval office from start to finish that it drags the entire film down.

At every single stage of that film his character is a complete arsehole, there is no growth or story there, every single thing he does is self serving and he never once cares how it hurts the people around him. Gary King at the end is the exact same oval office he was at the start.

There could have been a good movie in there, its a pity that Peggs character destroys the entire thing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Some old af medical texts reference sweet urine and honey urine disease. Tasting is a direct way of diagnosis but also seeing if ants go for your piss cause they will go for the sugar content.

At least in Europe I think the physician would likely recommend their lord or king avoid sweets and do more physical activities.

Ah, here's something.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4707300/

"Diabetes mellitus" literally means "to pass through/siphon honey-sweetened", and was intended to connote "you piss a lot and it's sweet"

E: I didn't know this until just now but there's a conditions where you piss a lot but don't have what we now characterize as diabetes, and it's known as diabetes insipidus, for "you piss a lot and it's bland"

So maybe not any more by the 80s, but yeah historically doctors were definitely tasting pee

Phy has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Sep 9, 2022

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Diabetes insipidus causes absolutely insane levels of diuresis. Unsustainably huge amounts of piss. Very bad

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Phy posted:

"Diabetes mellitus" literally means "to pass through/siphon honey-sweetened", and was intended to connote "you piss a lot and it's sweet"

E: I didn't know this until just now but there's a conditions where you piss a lot but don't have what we now characterize as diabetes, and it's known as diabetes insipidus, for "you piss a lot and it's bland"

So maybe not any more by the 80s, but yeah historically doctors were definitely tasting pee

Patrice O'Neal found out he had diabetes when his girlfriend told him his piss "tastes like birthday cake"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Patrice O'Neal found out he had diabetes when his girlfriend told him his piss "tastes like birthday cake"

:wtc:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You'd think it'd be R Kelly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rest in piss pisstrice

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

bucketybuck posted:

The problem with "The Worlds End" is that Simon Peggs character is such an absolute oval office from start to finish that it drags the entire film down.

At every single stage of that film his character is a complete arsehole, there is no growth or story there, every single thing he does is self serving and he never once cares how it hurts the people around him. Gary King at the end is the exact same oval office he was at the start.

There could have been a good movie in there, its a pity that Peggs character destroys the entire thing.

My thoughts exactly, with the qualifier that I’m the same age as the characters in the film, and have met far too many people exactly like the entire cast and they’re just as annoying or boring in real life. What kind of pathetic arsehole thinks the best night of his life was a pub crawl at age 19? How vacuous are the lives of his friends that they fall in with his bullshit? No amount of cute references or clever in-jokes made spending time with the characters fun for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's presenting as a Pegg/Frost/Wright comedy but it's really a quite sad movie about how people's flaws impact their own and others' lives. A while ago Pegg admitted to having/realizing he had a huge alcohol problem around the time they made it and you can assume it's basically autobiographical in a lot of places.

e: basically it's "what if Shaun doesn't sort his loving life out" in a different genre.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's presenting as a Pegg/Frost/Wright comedy but it's really a quite sad movie about how people's flaws impact their own and others' lives. A while ago Pegg admitted to having/realizing he had a huge alcohol problem around the time they made it and you can assume it's basically autobiographical in a lot of places.

e: basically it's "what if Shaun doesn't sort his loving life out" in a different genre.
Yeah, what made me like it less than the other 2 is that Simon Pegg is an rear end in a top hat in this one and it is missing the feelgood appeal of his rapport with Nick Frost.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They also make pretty clear that Gary King's issues are partially psychological, given that he was involuntarily committed for a good chunk of his life. It's not just that he's a twat, something is fundamentally off about him..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I mean wasn't the entire plan originally actually do the bar crawl and then kill himself?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God I've seen The Big Lebowski at least 20 times including originally in theaters and today was the first time I noticed that in the diner scene with Walter, when the Dude pays and leaves, he accidentally drops a joint on the counter along with the cash and quickly retrieves it. This drat movie :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

I mean wasn't the entire plan originally actually do the bar crawl and then kill himself?

It's not certain. Gary did try to kill himself just before the start of the movie when he turned 40, though, which is why he was involuntarily committed. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Mar 1, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's some interesting musical foreshadowing in Fiddler on the Roof (the 1971 film; not sure of the Broadway show): in the first minute or so of Wedding Celebration and 'The Bottle Dance', the instrumental directly references Anatevka, which symbolizes the fact that Tzeitel's wedding is the time that the pogroms begin against the Jewish people of that shtetl.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
In the comedy series Au Service de la France, the colonel is reading a book in bed titled mémoires de guerre by Charles de Gaulle, but the dust jacket slips off and you can see for a second that he's actually reading a book called la vie exemplaire de Phillip Pétain and it's later revealed that the colonel was a collaborator

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is what the film is trying so hard to be. It really wants the "Oh, dude tried to commit suicide. Dude is a sad middle aged man fetishizing his youth and who cannot move on. How tragic." message to hit hard.

But for me it never hits. We can see that Gary is a sad prick, forcing his old "friends" to go on the pub crawl to relive HIS glory days from the beginning. I never really cared about any of the other characters in more than a "Oh, that's Tim from The Office" way. So their big emotional moments, (Nick Frost and his wife/accident, the little guy and his loveless family/his bully ignoring him etc.) don't hit or touch me.

It all seemed like it was trying way too hard to be touching, and whilst some of the jokes are funny, for me it was clearly the worst of his 3 "big" famous comedies.

I can see why others would like it, but it's not for me. Love Hot Fuzz and SotD though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, World's End didn't connect with me either, and I've been a sadsack alcoholic (or near-enough) too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Mauser posted:

In the comedy series Au Service de la France, the colonel is reading a book in bed titled mémoires de guerre by Charles de Gaulle, but the dust jacket slips off and you can see for a second that he's actually reading a book called la vie exemplaire de Phillip Pétain and it's later revealed that the colonel was a collaborator

Oh man, I never noticed that and it is a fantastic detail.

There are a lot of fantastic moments in that show. My two favourites, neither of which is actually subtle, are the French agents not being able to understand the Quebecois FLQ guys and the CIA agents trying to explain to the French how they will be able to control JFK because of all the dirt they have on him. To paraphrase:

"He likes women and sleeps around a lot."

"Yes, and?"

"...That's not so good for a politician."

"Really? Why?"