Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main pain points in devour in my experience are thinking it's over when there's one hit left, and trying to do the dodges too far out--it moves really quickly so even with sprint you need to be dodging close to the center to move fast enough

Other than that, it's just understanding the patterns. You can say a million words about it but they all boil down to "go somewhere that won't be hit for a while while you wait for a spot to get hit twice, so you can go there" and you just sort of have to feel it out for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh, now I also got reminded of another problem: P5S macros assign puddles based on positions, like tanks take A/D while melees takeB/C... except puddles can appear in any combo and if that happens people will 100% gently caress it up. Macros should just change to the priority system or they're gonna cause gently caress ups every once in a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
inscrutable PF descriptions win again

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All i remember is that my MCH in my static for Delta(? The FF6 tier) on trying to use it at the start of the guardian savage fight and she'd step to the side of the boss so everyone else could hit his rear end because there's a 1/8 chance she'd be picked for the cone and die mid flamethrower and "I've accepted that I will die. Please let me go"

That was me too. Our AST just always made sure to throw a shield on me.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
it's also like light rampant where relearning a more efficient strategy takes effort and wipes that you might not really be able to afford to put a PF party through, so if the bad week 1 strat is in your muscle memory, it's just a lil bit more risky

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

That was me too. Our AST just always made sure to throw a shield on me.

I usually tried to but sometimes I'd get clipped by snapshotting cause I always wanted to do it a right before the beam went out to not gently caress up my opening card shuffling (God I miss StB AST.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

These are not fun times, Carbuncle! These are dark times!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the reason this doesnt happen in jp pfs is not even because theyre more "team minded", but because they do an honestly upsetting level of social ostracizing behind the scenes, so being a "non contributory player" means you are effectively barred from pf anyways. there is no real solution to this on s-e's end either. so you have to work around it.

I have never heard of this before. Do they pass around public black lists of people who are extremely bad in PF or something?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
not-so-public but essentially yes. ways to get on there include stuff like joining no english parties as an english speaker, not behaving yourself, not doing the outlined strats, etc. a lot of it happens on 2ch, and is spread out from there. while i dont know if they have meta restrictions like en does, it doesnt really matter because they still exclude people from pf for dumb reasons. theres no way to have the pf system we have and not have exclusion.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh, now I also got reminded of another problem: P5S macros assign puddles based on positions, like tanks take A/D while melees takeB/C... except puddles can appear in any combo and if that happens people will 100% gently caress it up. Macros should just change to the priority system or they're gonna cause gently caress ups every once in a while.

Those sound like poo poo macros, the ones in Australia have Tanks start at D and go clockwise, melee start at A and go counter clockwise.

Same for healers and ranged, healers start at 2 and go clockwise, range start at 1 and go counterclockwise.

The short term fix for MCH is just buff the goddamn Machinist. It's a selfish DPS job like Samurai and Black Mage but does not get the same treatment they do in terms of balance (Black Mage more than Samurai). A longer term fix is to reconsider the current job design as a whole, and if 2 melee 2 caster and 2 phys range are all meant to be viable compositions work on that. One possible option is to intentionally separate the selfish DPS out so they're all relatively equally balanced and the "intended" double up option. Alternatively, add a Bard/Dancer level support dps for melee and caster. Which would benefit Machinist by giving it natural allies, instead of having it compete with the best two "support" dps jobs for a slot.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 17, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Alternatively, add a Bard/Dancer level support dps for melee and caster. Which would benefit Machinist by giving it natural allies, instead of having it compete with the best two "support" dps jobs for a slot.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to add a Blitzer job who buffs a teammate's shots by passing them the ball

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to add a Blitzer job who buffs a teammate's shots by passing them the ball

That's a phys range job, which already have all the high support oriented dps. Unless you want a melee blitzballer who hits with the blitzball instead of throwing it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's a phys range job, which already have all the high support oriented dps. Unless you want a melee blitzballer who hits with the blitzball instead of throwing it.

Expand the FFX cash shop gear with an Aurochs set, including a pair of blitzball punchers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Alternatively, add a Bard/Dancer level support dps for melee and caster. Which would benefit Machinist by giving it natural allies, instead of having it compete with the best two "support" dps jobs for a slot.

finally, mascot and geomancer

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kinda like how dancer often needs to get in close for its attacks, you could have a melee class (ninja kinda works like this already, almost) with a lot of ranged options. Blitzer could pass the ball and focus on kicks, tackles, and body blows, then have a phase where it gets passed back and they can do shot attacks or something

e: Basically this class would be the Dancer to Ninja's Bard

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Personal preference would be Squire and Green Mage. Or FFTactics Ramza as a melee, buffing allies with inspirational speeches and haste/morale etc.

Green Mage would be reverse Bard. Instead of long duration ally buffs, have long duration enemy debuffs, with a job gauge to track them properly.

Chillgamesh posted:

Kinda like how dancer often needs to get in close for its attacks, you could have a melee class (ninja kinda works like this already, almost) with a lot of ranged options. Blitzer could pass the ball and focus on kicks, tackles, and body blows, then have a phase where it gets passed back and they can do shot attacks or something

e: Basically this class would be the Dancer to Ninja's Bard

This is pretty cool, although Ninja actually is kinda low party utility, since they changed trick attack.

This is still a pretty cool idea.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I finally decided to try a new hair.

My WoL looks so wrong I'm fighting myself every moment to not run right back to the aesthetician. The fact that I cant even change my hair without my brain rebelling at my OC's redesign makes me wonder how the hell anyone can be a Fantasia addict...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hopeandjoy posted:

My WoL looks so wrong I'm fighting myself every moment to not run right back to the aesthetician. The fact that I cant even change my hair without my brain rebelling at my OC's redesign makes me wonder how the hell anyone can be a Fantasia addict...

Big same. I've had the same hair since Stormblood.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I tried to finally get into the Island Sanctuary tonight since I've got a bit of a slow weekend ahead and thought it might be a good time to get things rolling. But I took one look at the workshop once I unlocked it and immediately logged out. There's just no way I can bring myself to engage with that poo poo. It's the absolute opposite of anything I look for in a video game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

i had the same hair up through like the shb patches, then decided that hanging onto only one hairstyle as "me" was kinda silly, especially as i spent time unlocking hairstyles by doing other content

and, yeah, a few of those changes i basically immediately flipped to something else because they didn't work for me, but now I've got a few different hairstyles and colors i bounce back and forth between as my whim
determines. 2k gil is just fine for a hairstyle.

i have never used a fantasia and probably never will.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personal preference would be Squire and Green Mage. Or FFTactics Ramza as a melee, buffing allies with inspirational speeches and haste/morale etc.

I would love to have a class like Squire, not just because that sounds fun, but also because you would get Scream and it plays your character's loudest battlecry at 3x volume

Regy Rusty posted:

Man I tried to finally get into the Island Sanctuary tonight since I've got a bit of a slow weekend ahead and thought it might be a good time to get things rolling. But I took one look at the workshop once I unlocked it and immediately logged out. There's just no way I can bring myself to engage with that poo poo. It's the absolute opposite of anything I look for in a video game.

I had literally the exact same reaction but it's really not that bad. Just gather the crap you need to keep upgrading your Island like normal and then tell your workshops to alternate making potions and firesand and then forget it exists except to pick up the occasional payout, that's what I've been doing while progressing it casually. You can even save Potion > Firesand > Potion... as a preset so you don't have to input it manually

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
You can also just pick all random crafts if you want and average out to getting the amounts they list on the craft page. It's not efficient, but it's zero effort and you'd gradually get cool stuff from it (so long as you go gathering stuff now and then).

I do wonder what else they'll add to Island Sanctuary, though. They said more was coming, so I'm figuring that means more than just additional things to spend cowries on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

I would love to have a class like Squire, not just because that sounds fun, but also because you would get Scream and it plays your character's loudest battlecry at 3x volume

I had literally the exact same reaction but it's really not that bad. Just gather the crap you need to keep upgrading your Island like normal and then tell your workshops to alternate making potions and firesand and then forget it exists except to pick up the occasional payout, that's what I've been doing while progressing it casually. You can even save Potion > Firesand > Potion... as a preset so you don't have to input it manually

Ah cool I'll give it another look tomorrow. If engaging with it properly is JUST to get the rewards quickly that's fine, I'm in no rush.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Ah cool I'll give it another look tomorrow. If engaging with it properly is JUST to get the rewards quickly that's fine, I'm in no rush.

Yeah Island Sanctuary is 100% optional and doing it optimally is 100% optional on top of that. Your only reward is glam and a title. And funbux to spend on mounts, minions, glam, a couple of furnishings, and rare dye you can also get from the Ishgardian Restoration or the Market Board.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is pretty cool, although Ninja actually is kinda low party utility, since they changed trick attack.

Ninja gets roughly the same amount of group DPS out of old Trick and new Mug.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Every now and then when I walk through Rhadz I think to myself it would be really cool if some of these vibrant colors were dyes :(

Like the purple you see there

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there are definitely not enough dyes in this game

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah Island Sanctuary is 100% optional and doing it optimally is 100% optional on top of that. Your only reward is glam and a title. And funbux to spend on mounts, minions, glam, a couple of furnishings, and rare dye you can also get from the Ishgardian Restoration or the Market Board.

And once you're done with all that, it turns into a machine that generates 10 to 15 Grade X (or twice that many Grade IX) gatherer or crafter Materia for minimal effort each week.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wohoo! Once the final craft for the day finishes I'll be rank 9, unlocking the final recipes and landmark. Also managed to catch the alligator in 10 tries. Today is a really good day for animals, in an hour I can try the Yellow Corbyn and the Twinklefleece, and on the evening the Beachcomb and the Gobbue, so outside of the Paissa that needs rank 10 I'd be set on rare animals with annoying spawns if I get lucky.

EDIT: Well, the YCoblyn loving escaped first try, but managed to snag the Twinklefleece and an Island Stag. Only 9 animals left!

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hexwren posted:

Literally a picture of my chocobo saddlebag.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Dyes should just be added to their own inventory. It's nice that you can preview any dye, but it's a complete pain in the rear end to remember which ones are crafted only, which ones you can get from a dyemonger, which ones you can get from the kobolds or whatever

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've got the Dye list from the Eorzea Database bookmarked for exactly that reason.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hexwren posted:

Correct :colbert:

poo poo just give me a rgb wheel

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Onean posted:

I've got the Dye list from the Eorzea Database bookmarked for exactly that reason.

look at Charcoal Grey

scroll down to the comments

then check out the images

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

look at Charcoal Grey

scroll down to the comments

then check out the images

a blessed discovery

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Correct :colbert:

poo poo just give me a rgb wheel

GW2's glamour/dye system owns and I wish this game had it. First, there's an appearance library that's its own collection tab you save item models to. Then, for dyes, you permanently unlock swatches on a palette whenever you find and use a dye, and each individual piece of equipment has several dye subchannels you can change at-will with any dye you have unlocked.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Wows transmog and gw2's dye system in ffxiv would basically be the perfect system. I hope yoship makes it happen.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh thank god, managed to get that drat Yellow Coblyn. Fucker ran away on 4 spawns. Also got the Gold Back. So now all I have left is 6 rare animals and done, don't have to craft restraints till they add more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I named my Island Billy "Island William" because I am unique and creative.

I know it's probably wiser to have a bunch of different guys who give different things for making crafts but I'll have enough for the bike today and after that I'm fine with a more laid back approach and I kind of want a farm of noting but rare dodos or something.