Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I see a ton of these things now and they’re always on top pristine Toyota 4Runners or Tacomas with the raised platform over the bed.

Bring back pickup bed campers.

My bed is only 5'2"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My dad used to have a truck bed tent that was pretty ok. he also had the full size truck bed though

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Verman posted:

Tent waterproofer is a thing but if the fabric is delaminating there's no saving it. I got a tent from a friend thinking it would be cool for car camping and the inside membrane was sticky and started peeling away from the fabric making it not waterproof at all. I thought about saving it but once I saw the parking it was time for the trash.

The inside wasn't quite peeling, but it did feel like it was on the verge of getting sticky.
I'm sure waterproofing spray would've made it usable again, but for how long? How many times till i find out 'Oh, the waterproofing spray wore off'?

I bought a new one. Narrower but longer than my old tent (meaning my head won't bump into the inner tent when i'm lieing down. Also has a small front section so i can put dirty stuff there.

When packed it's MUCH smaller than the old one:

The carrying bag is 35cm tall or something. The tent pole sections are 30ish cm long.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I picked up a new Gregory Baltoro 65 backpack off Backcountry a week ago and just now when I put it on the lid is pretty snug against the back of my head. None of my previous bags have had this happen, so needless to say this doesn't seem normal. Like I can't really lean my head back. I looked around online and some people suggested loading the bag up with a normal load and dialing in your fit and seeing if it went away, but if anything that makes it worse. I measured my torso at REI so it should be sized correctly (I am firmly a size large) and was set to buy from them before finding this deal. The waist strap also seems absurdly large... like just to take the weight of the bag itself off my shoulders it's drat near as tight as it'll get.

I'm most likely going to return the bag but figured I'd ask if anyone else has ran into weird sizing issues on packs? The deal was pretty killer and from what I've read the newer versions aren't nearly worth the money so I want to make it work if possible...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Have you adjusted the tension straps that go from the “peaks” of your shoulder straps to the top of the pack?

Not trying to imply you are dumb or anything; Sometimes people forget about those straps (on some bags don’t have them or do not make them adjustable).

E. Also, yes, in my opinion, like hiking shoes, some packs just work better for different people just due to personal sizing/preference issues.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

There was one particular Osprey pack that I swear fit me so weird no matter how much I adjusted it. I wanted to love it because everything else about it was great, but it felt like it was collapsing on my neck.

But as mentioned above, you probably need to mess with the load lifters a little (those straps at the very top). They likely need to be loosened.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Adjusting those straps was the first thing I tried. If I loosen them all the way it's better, but when I lean by head back (like if I were looking up into a tree) it still hits.

VVV but even just looking up it still hits, like I'm not leaning my head back as far as I can. And I'd be losing out on the benefits of using the load lifters anyways. Thanks for the advice -- I've been playing around a lot all day with the sizing and adjusting every little strap and ultimately I think I'm just gonna return it. I did get it dialed in decently well but it doesn't feel like it's hugging my back the way my other packs have. Like it could be more secure? This is the first backpacking backpack I've bought in a decade so I'll have someone at REI make sure I get it right.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 13, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like if your head is tilted that far back then you are going to hit the lid on any bag that sticks up higher than your neck.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Those twisted bastards at Paria know what they are doing.

I was looking there and saw they had their larger air pads back in stock so got that, an air pump bag, and the down quilt I was looking at because I snagged a 10% off code somewhere. After buying it I got an email for a 20% discount code "in case I forgot something" so I guess I'll get one of their Zion two person tents.

At least that is all my big items purchased now and k can stop burning through cash as quickly.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

yoohoo posted:

The waist strap also seems absurdly large... like just to take the weight of the bag itself off my shoulders it's drat near as tight as it'll get.

My new Gregory pack’s waist straps hang down to my knees when I’m hiking. Many packs will give you extra webbing with the expectation that you cut it to size at some point.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

$20 Eveready LED Camping Lanterns (4-Pack), Hybrid Power Rechargeable Collapsible Lantern Flashlights (Amazon)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My little budget cycling GPS short-changed me a couple miles by rounding out switchbacks on my recent trip. As a paper topo map lover, I'm really mostly interested in accurate breadcrumbs for tracking accurate mileage and, to a lesser extent, elevation. Any recommendations for something that will last all day and not require too much juice to recharge at night?

No real preference for handheld or watch. I probably wouldn't keep the watch on my wrist.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

yoohoo posted:

I picked up a new Gregory Baltoro 65 backpack off Backcountry a week ago and just now when I put it on the lid is pretty snug against the back of my head. None of my previous bags have had this happen, so needless to say this doesn't seem normal. Like I can't really lean my head back. I looked around online and some people suggested loading the bag up with a normal load and dialing in your fit and seeing if it went away, but if anything that makes it worse. I measured my torso at REI so it should be sized correctly (I am firmly a size large) and was set to buy from them before finding this deal. The waist strap also seems absurdly large... like just to take the weight of the bag itself off my shoulders it's drat near as tight as it'll get.

I'm most likely going to return the bag but figured I'd ask if anyone else has ran into weird sizing issues on packs? The deal was pretty killer and from what I've read the newer versions aren't nearly worth the money so I want to make it work if possible...

Weird sizing issues on packs are the norm rather than the exception for me, but I'm also just picky about how packs fit.

I've had the top too close to head issue with many packs. Sometimes the hip belt is too large, other times its too wide. Sometimes too much padding so it doesn't really stay put, or sometimes it doesn't really line up or fit right with my hip bones. Maybe the the chest strap is set up in a way that it can't be positioned correctly without annoying my collarbones. A lot of the time the suspension doesn't let me flex my back the way I want. The list goes on.

Anyway packs are like shoes...getting a proper fit is more important than anything else, and not all packs will fit all people.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Hello! I didn't see a general camping thread, but this seems close enough. This is mostly a cross-post from another board, but it is gear related. I promise!

My son and I were able to head to the lake a few hours before Mrs. Tarlibone got off work, so the campsite is set up. Most importantly, the Camp King is set up, so it's officially camping o'clock.

We bought this thing at Walmart back in the late 90s, maybe right before the second or third time we went camping. Best purchase ever. This is attached to my deck's handrail almost year-round, too, though without the trash bag loop and tiny shelf. Super handy. I've lost most of the little clips that hold in the bag, but clothes pins work.

I can feel stress I didn't know I had built up in me just... melting away. I'm so calm and cool and relaxed right now, I could just... I could just...

... man, I wish I could've brought my Red Ryder. It's customized with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time. Seriously. (FYI: That link goes to the airgun board.)

We're trying something new this trip. We always plan our meals with Boy Scout precision, but this year, all the meat I could freeze, I did freeze. Burger patties I made, Not-Flank steaks I seasoned, sausage, bacon, etc. It went into the cooler frozen, then covered with ice. Should be plenty thawed when it's time to cook. Also, I vacuum sealed it to avoid getting it water-logged.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

tarlibone posted:

Hello! I didn't see a general camping thread, but this seems close enough. This is mostly a cross-post from another board, but it is gear related. I promise!

My son and I were able to head to the lake a few hours before Mrs. Tarlibone got off work, so the campsite is set up. Most importantly, the Camp King is set up, so it's officially camping o'clock.

We bought this thing at Walmart back in the late 90s, maybe right before the second or third time we went camping. Best purchase ever. This is attached to my deck's handrail almost year-round, too, though without the trash bag loop and tiny shelf. Super handy. I've lost most of the little clips that hold in the bag, but clothes pins work.

I can feel stress I didn't know I had built up in me just... melting away. I'm so calm and cool and relaxed right now, I could just... I could just...

... man, I wish I could've brought my Red Ryder. It's customized with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time. Seriously. (FYI: That link goes to the airgun board.)

We're trying something new this trip. We always plan our meals with Boy Scout precision, but this year, all the meat I could freeze, I did freeze. Burger patties I made, Not-Flank steaks I seasoned, sausage, bacon, etc. It went into the cooler frozen, then covered with ice. Should be plenty thawed when it's time to cook. Also, I vacuum sealed it to avoid getting it water-logged.
This is the other thread I know of, but there's a decent amount of overlap https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gotta wonder if a “General Camping” thread would suck the wind out of the sails of the RV and hiking threads.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tag yourself.

https://twitter.com/ChaseEnCashe/status/1570820867122401282

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Usual Costco caveats apply. Not that there will be any water to purify in California in a few years.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

it's a good shoe :colbert:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Guilty as charged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's the perfect all terrain shoe that works everywhere why shouldn't I wear it all the time.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
The new backpacking tent just arrived. I am pretty excited about this, as up until now we have been using rentals from REI (Halfdome 2+). It will cut around 3 pounds from my base weight.

Later today I am off to the park to practice setting it up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I used to be a Moab guy but I have my lone peaks now

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I used to be a Moab guy but I have my lone peaks now

I hate how the cleats feel on pavement or hard floors. Definitely not an every day shoe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Moabs are a goat of a boot/shoe. They're simply great for a wide variety of feet and almost instantly comfortable. Good soles.

I wish they were higher or lighter, or dried quicker.

I'm either using more rugged boots or trail runners now but I still appreciate the Moabs and will always recommend them.

From a gear standpoint, I just got back from the hoh rainforest/blue glacier trail and used my osprey Atmos pack, big agnes rapide pad, and nemo hornet 1 tent. The dual valves on the pad are so much better than the twist valves.

All success and I saved a bunch of base weight (5lbs) with those upgrades. The pack was so much nicer than my old mountainsmith pack.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Great deal on. Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer 2 jacket w hood:

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/mens-ghost-whisperer%2F2-hoody-1874761_S.html?dwvar_1874761_S_color=233

Use code MHWSEP60

~$125 before taxes and shipping for what’s usually a $300+ jacket. Good quality/compression.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/mens-ghost-whisperer%2F2-hoody-1874761_S.html?dwvar_1874761_S_color=233

Use code MHWSEP60

~$125 before taxes and shipping for what’s usually a $300+ jacket. Good quality/compression.

Oh hell yeah, thanks for this. I was looking for some jackets with hoods on REI Outlet during the last sale but couldn’t find anything under $200

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Set up my Zion 2P tent today, boy howdy this tent is a million times easier to put up than any Coleman tent I've ever owned. Getting this sucker back in the bag properly is going to be a bit tricky, super slick material.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am really enjoying the Exped Megamat. I would definitely recommend it over the Thermarest MondoKing 3D for the speedy inflation, ease of stowing, and little pump thing, which beats the heck out of the Thermarest pump sack. I have the 10, not the 15, and it's plenty of padding.

I am sorta kinda considering upgrading my tent. Right now I have a Kelty Discovery 4, which was inexpensive and has been solid for us. The main reason is that with a MondoKing and a Megamat, there's not a lot of room for a third pad. We have been orienting the pads longways, but we did discover that we can rotate them 90 degrees and they will still fit, barely. This will allow us to fit my old Thermarest Classic, which we are giving to our 3-, almost 4-year old. There is just barely enough room at the foot of that pad, which is shorter as well as narrower, for a duffel bag, so we can just about get away with this for now.

It is, however, pretty tight. I am aware, of course, that "x-person" tents rarely sleep x people with gear comfortably. Additionally, I think the bag -- not the tent itself -- is developing a small hole in it, which is pretty shocking given the light duty it's been put through. The tent itself is fine so far but if the bag is already starting to wear, I don't know how long the tent is for this world.

I'm interested in recommendations if anyone has strong opinions. We are a family of three (2 adults and one young child) doing only car camping, no backpacking, so size and weight don't matter at all (you probably guessed that from our choice of sleeping pads). I figure we are looking at either a 6- or 8-person tent, depending on whether we want "plenty of room" or "palatial." I don't have a lot of strong opinions, but I would like two doors and I would rather not buy a house brand like REI given past experiences with them. I'm told that I should consider a tent that I can stand up in, although I've never had one of those, and ease of setup is nice. I do not care about vestibules and while it's not a problem to have one, either no vestibule or the ones that can be turned into awnings with poles instead of being staked out sounds more appealing to me. A tent of this size is a decent investment so longevity of construction seems important. I don't expect to camp in extreme weather, 3-season is plenty, but of course I would like rain to stay outside of the tent.

Alternatively, I suppose I could just buy a 2-person tent and sleep in it and put my wife and kid in the existing 4-person tent. That would be cheaper and more flexible in the short-term, but I think the lack of "togetherness" on a family campout would be hurt, plus I still don't know if the existing tent will disintegrate in the near future.

A general tent question for those of you who don't live in suburbs with lots of property: I live in a townhouse. Growing up I lived in a more suburban area and we would just hang groundcloths and sleeping bags over the fence to air out and set up the tent to dry it out for a while after getting home. What do you folks who live in the city do? I don't necessarily have the space to do that here. Since we've just been camping at my in-laws' (since she's 3, and also covid), we are just airing stuff out at their place before packing it up, but we are hoping to take our kid on more of a "real" outing sometime.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Usually set them up in the basement or a garage if you have one. If you have either of those, you could also run a clothesline.

I’ve set up chairs and hung the tent shell on them for a day or two to dry.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

I'm interested in recommendations if anyone has strong opinions.

Get yourself an REI KingDome. They are amazing car camping tents and can be bought on sale or used at an REI Garage Sale regularly. We use ours with one baby and Exped Megamat Duo and an KingDome4 is perfect for us, though we'll upgrade to a KingDome6 when we have our second child.

I've had mine in pouring sideways rain and its been fine. You can stand up in it just fine, the vestibules are great, just an all around awesome tent.

My only advice is to properly guy it out, every single time. Its a tall tent and if you dont youre just waiting for a windgust to snap a pole. I've never had that happen to me though, because I always guy it out.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't think they're making the KingDome series any more. There were changes beginning of summer to their COOP lines.

Here's a portable cabin for $385.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/spo/d/gladstone-rei-kingdom-tent-tech-garage/7535696567.html

Morbus
May 18, 2004

guppy posted:

A general tent question for those of you who don't live in suburbs with lots of property: I live in a townhouse. Growing up I lived in a more suburban area and we would just hang groundcloths and sleeping bags over the fence to air out and set up the tent to dry it out for a while after getting home. What do you folks who live in the city do? I don't necessarily have the space to do that here. Since we've just been camping at my in-laws' (since she's 3, and also covid), we are just airing stuff out at their place before packing it up, but we are hoping to take our kid on more of a "real" outing sometime.

I just throw my poo poo on the floor OP

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have draped them over my parked car when they are too muddy to bring indoors.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Brother Tadger posted:

Use code MHWSEP60

Holy poo poo, thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

highme posted:

I don't think they're making the KingDome series any more. There were changes beginning of summer to their COOP lines.

Here's a portable cabin for $385.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/spo/d/gladstone-rei-kingdom-tent-tech-garage/7535696567.html

Huh I had no idea. Taking a quick look it seems like "The Wonderland" is the newer version of the KingDome. No idea if its just as good of a tent or not, looks pretty similar at least.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, REI has some great deals on tents and stuff right now.

If you wanted a passage 1 or 2, they're like $100. You can get a bag, pad and tent bundle with it for $240. Lots of other good stuff.

https://www.rei.com/s/tents-sleeping-bag-sleeping-pad-deals

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Got pretty soaked in a big downpour the other day (in my rain coat).
It was pretty cheap and lasted a decent length of time but the membrane around the top half of it is pretty torn up, so I think it's time to send it to poo poo up a landfill for 8,000 years or whatever. Who said I wouldn't have a legacy!?

I was considering getting something a bit nicer and perhaps even breathable but I'd like it to be long lasting.
Any recs? My budget would be around $200.00.
Hell, I'm wondering if an actual waterproof poncho is the real environmental/economical play

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a $70 Columbia Watertight II that I'm pretty happy with. I think they can be found cheaper. They're not fancy but they do the job well and fold up small. My wife has a different version and my son has a fleece lined one also from Columbia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Math You posted:

Got pretty soaked in a big downpour the other day (in my rain coat).
It was pretty cheap and lasted a decent length of time but the membrane around the top half of it is pretty torn up, so I think it's time to send it to poo poo up a landfill for 8,000 years or whatever. Who said I wouldn't have a legacy!?

I was considering getting something a bit nicer and perhaps even breathable but I'd like it to be long lasting.
Any recs? My budget would be around $200.00.
Hell, I'm wondering if an actual waterproof poncho is the real environmental/economical play

Marmot precip will do most likely everything you need it to.

Alternatively, if you think the old girl might still have some life in ‘er, buy some Nikwax TX.Direct (either spray on or washin); it’s only like $20 bucks and could get you back to about 90% for a few more seasons.