Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

So I saw this earlier and is it a motorized platter controller thats had a tonearm installed to be repurchased into a turntable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I think it's a mod for a denon/rane motorized controller. I mean kinda cool but I would think someone into 45s would be on serato if they wanted to play digital.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Also someone who was into 45s wouldn’t want a turntable you had to literally bolt the record to. I suspect this is one of those “because we could” things.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do those controller platters even rotate at the correct speed?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_X1l9mcdE

Out of all the drops possible, I can honestly say I was not expecting this from the first track of this Avalon Emerson set.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're loving dead, kiddo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just wanna say how funny it is to see circle-jerk discussions on social media about DJs "redlining" featuring the local cast of people who think they're experts. Have you ever had some smartass point at the DJM every time he sees a red LED blink and smugly tell you "red lights are for hookers?" Bud, do you hear it clipping? No, you don't, because it's not, and you're half deaf anyway from standing right in front of the speaker stack at every party. Can you read the DJM master meter? The first pair of red LEDs aren't even clip indicators, they haven't been for years.

I've seen your idea of 'gain structure,' bruh. If your DAW wasn't running 32-bit float, you'd be completely lost.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
they hate us ‘cuz they ain’t us

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah there's a skyscraper of headroom on modern pio mixers. I try to have it peak on or just touch 3 yellows still tho. More of a thing with the older 500/600s where if it was red it's gonna sound [extra] horrible. I really don't like the pio VU meters they seem to heavily favor mid range and aren't fast enough / decay too slow. I've seen tracks where the meter actually increases when you lower the low EQ knob; makes no sense.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Virgil Vox posted:

I've seen tracks where the meter actually increases when you lower the low EQ knob; makes no sense.

This could be the EQ in 'isolator' mode, which I do find has a bit of resonance when moved away from unity. But yeah, I had a long conversation with a buddy who's a mastering engineer about how frustrating it is that the meters on Pioneer mixers are "just kind of doing their own thing," not true VU or anything. And they seem to like to change it up every new generation of mixer.

For an industry-standard company charging primo prices, there's a lot about the DJM that's straight-up wrong, IMO. You can picture their engineers having angry meetings about how best to balance features between a Club mixer and a House Party mixer. "Where do we put Unity on the gain knobs? Well it's somewhere around 10:30 but let's just not label it because lots of people still play vinyl." The master pan, and frankly the master volume too, should not exist, or at least the volume knob should be labelled more intuitively (if you think of it like a linear console fader, then unity is exactly where it should be but 3 o'clock is bizarre). Don't even get me started on having to light up the master cue, or the fact that the cue path is post-fader. If I step into a booth and the master knob is way down, it's not gonna be a fun time.

Because of all these flaws I kind of see why there's contention as to how to properly gainstage... but my way is the right way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are there any aggregate and up-to-date threads out there in the DJ internet for 'tracks with tempo changes'? I'm looking to add more variety to my mixes but it's very rare these days that I come across transition tracks, especially transition tracks that are appropriate and not balls-out energy level.

I've done some lazy Googling and the only thing that really comes up are Reddit threads that haven't been updated in a decade.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any aggregate and up-to-date threads out there in the DJ internet for 'tracks with tempo changes'? I'm looking to add more variety to my mixes but it's very rare these days that I come across transition tracks, especially transition tracks that are appropriate and not balls-out energy level.

I've done some lazy Googling and the only thing that really comes up are Reddit threads that haven't been updated in a decade.

This is a poo poo answer but try another genre? I dj disco, boogie, and house records. Disco is always great if you need a key change or tempo change.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hmm, maybe. I do consume a fair bit of House and some adjacent stuff, though, and maybe I haven't been looking in the right places but the vast majority of songs are one tempo straight through. I'm talking about stuff that has a breakdown that totally switches tempos and genres.

I asked over on Reddit and I'll take a look over on DOA, will report back if anyone shares any sort of aggregate thread.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Mister Speaker posted:

Hmm, maybe. I do consume a fair bit of House and some adjacent stuff, though, and maybe I haven't been looking in the right places but the vast majority of songs are one tempo straight through. I'm talking about stuff that has a breakdown that totally switches tempos and genres.

I asked over on Reddit and I'll take a look over on DOA, will report back if anyone shares any sort of aggregate thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqFtUdFBNcd/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I posted the same thing over in r/DJs, and then figured I'd get the ball rolling and actually contribute something interesting for once. This was actually easier than I thought: I just went into my 'Transitions' playlist in Traktor, and by exporting the plist as a webpage I was able to open it up in Excel and cut out the extraneous fields. Here you have it, every track in my library that has a tempo change:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/190npsp7GDHX7U_RAF-K2z3kUICxbrGwf/view?usp=sharing

I'm not very good with Excel or computer stuff in general, let me know if that doesn't open or read properly. I think you might have to download it and open it in your browser because viewing it in Drive just looks like a bunch of HTML to me. I tried exporting to PDF but it didn't retain the columns and turned into a mess. I'd love to hear how we can get a collaborative one going.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Big up the forums user like Flipperwaldt for sorting me out proper, here's my collection of transition tracks:

code:
Title                                                              Artist                                Release                                               Tempo Change      
6A/5A - Bassmentality (Neon Steve Rub-a-Dub)                       Zeds Dead & Killabits                 Back Up Let Me Breathe. Thanks :D                     110-128           
4A - Transitions (Original Mix)                                    SPL                                   Transitions                                           110-140-172       
4A - Madness - Original Mix                                        Run Dmt                               Madness EP                                            139-108-139       
4A - TriLLogy feat. Opiuo, Vent (Original Mix)                     Ill.Gates                             The Ill.Methodology                                   100-150           
4A - Doomsday - Original Mix                                       Nero                                  Welcome Reality                                       120-140           
6A - Thumbs Up (For Rock N' Roll) (Kill The Noise Remix)           Kill The Noise, Feed Me               Black Magic Remixes                                   126-155           
4A - Unison - Knife Party Remix                                    Porter Robinson                       Spitfire                                              128-110           
4A - Faster Than Light (Original Mix)                              Far Too Loud                          Faster Than Light EP                                  128-174           
11A - Destroid 10 Funk Hole (VIP)                                  Excision, Space Laces                 Destroid 7 Bounce (VIP) / Destroid 10 Funk Hole (VIP) 124-172           
4A - Bless That (ft. Armanni Reign)                                12th Planet, Tha Trickaz              Smog City, Vol.3                                      150-100           
6A - Rekall feat. BBK (Original Mix)                               Toronto Is Broken                     Section Nine                                          100-143-100       
4A - Ketamine Karate - Original Mix                                Subvert                               Ketamine Karate / Everything                          140-180           
7B - Talk To Me (Original Mix)                                     Kill The Noise                        Kill Kill Kill                                        140-174           
4A - Ishimura (Original Mix)                                       Reso                                  Ishimura                                              140-105           
4A - Game Time - Original Mix                                      Zomboy                                Game Time EP                                          140-172           
10A - Back In Time (Cookie Monsta Remix)                           Kirsty Hawkshaw, Liquid Kaos          Back In Time                                          140-175           
9A - Triphekta (Original Mix)                                      Downlink                              Triphekta                                             174-140-174       
4A - Kill It, F**k It (Original Mix)                               Non Genetic, Tha Trickaz              Transitions                                           175-140           
9A - Brick                                                         12th Planet, Protohype & KillaGraham  Transitions - EP                                      128-140           
4A - Paper                                                         12th Planet & Protohype               Transitions - EP                                                        
6A - Shady                                                         12th Planet & Protohype               Transitions - EP                                      140-170           
8A - Lonely Mountain                                               Feed Me                               Calamari Tuesday                                      127-140           
11A - Atropine                                                     KUI                                   Atropine                                              140-110           
6A - Mechanism (Original Mix)                                      Ramzoid                               Mechanism / Imperial                                  144-128-125       
4A - Ragga Bomb (feat. Ragga Twins) [Skrillex & Zomboy Remix]      Skrillex                              Ease My Mind v Ragga Bomb Remixes - EP                150-100           
11A - Interstellar Clash (Original Mix)                            Erotic Cafe'                          Interstellar Clash EP                                 128-172           
4A - Lasers Up (Original Mix)                                      Barely Alive                          Fiber Optic EP                                        128-140           
1A - Music Makers (110/130 Transition)                             BOXHEAVY                              Music Makers                                          110-130           
4A - Live Wire                                                     Excision                              Codename X                                            110-128-X         
9A - What's That Spell? (Feat. TJR)                                Dillon Francis                        Money Sucks, Friends Rule                             128-112-128       
12A - To the Future                                                Xilent                                We Are Virtual                                        140-110           
7A - The Place (feat. Sue Gerger)                                  Xilent                                We Are Virtual                                        140-128           
11A - Ion Engines (Original Mix)                                   Forbidden Society                     Thronecrusher                                         110-175           
11A - Bring The Madness (feat. Mayor Apeshit) (Erotic Cafe' Remix) Excision & Pegboard Nerds             Bring The Madness (feat. Mayor Apeshit) (The Remixes) 130-150           
8A - Boy Oh Boy                                                    Diplo & GTA                           Random White Dude Be Everywhere                       130-110           
9A - Deep Down Low (ETC!ETC! & TIGHTTRAXX Remix)                   Valentino Khan                        Deep Down Low Remixes                                 128-105           
2A - Pooyoso [Take It Back]                                        Barely Alive                          We Are Barely Alive                                   128-110-128       
9A - The End (Carnage & Breaux Remix)                              Eptic                                 Never Say Die Vol. 4                                  140-112           
11A - Windpipe (Getter Remix)                                      Barely Alive                          We Are Barely Alive (The Remixes)                     150-174           
6A - Yass Gotta                                                    Spag Heddy                            OG Meatball EP                                        128-150-128       
9A - Darkstar (Original Mix)                                       Datsik feat. Travis Barker & Liinks   Darkstar                                              100-140           
7A - Kiko                                                          Panda Eyes                            Kiko                                                  110-170           
9A - The Lights                                                    Panda Eyes                            Kiko                                                  100-165           
4A - Colorblind                                                    Panda Eyes                            Kiko                                                  112-140           
5A - Ily                                                           Panda Eyes                            Kiko                                                  110-174           
4A - Happy Hour (Original Mix)                                     SNAILS X Botnek                                                                             128-150           
11A - Got My                                                       Kovalenco Gennadi x Luca Rezza        Got My                                                150-110           
8A - Plata o Plomo                                                 Subshock & Evangelos                  Plata o Plomo                                         135-150           
5A - Power                                                         Point Point                           Power                                                 128-140           
9A - Bottle Swervice (Wuki Remix)                                  Herobust                              I'm Aloud (Remixes)                                   104-130           
4A - U Want It                                                     Zblu                                  Chateau Bruyant Vol. 3                                150-100           
1A - Run (Beautiful Things) [Highsociety Remix]                    AWOLNATION                            Run (Remixes)                                         160-145           
2A - Flame Emoji (feat. Raquel Divar)                              Twin Moons & HIGHSOCIETY              Rising                                                150-100           
9A - Stranger                                                      Diskord                               Ceasefire                                             150-128           
7A - Midnight Glow                                                 Frank Royal                           From The Fire                                         150-170           
4A - Fake U Out                                                    Ghastly & Barely Alive                The Mystifying Oracle                                 128-150           
4A - Cloud City (Shayne Remix)                                     Tha Trickaz                           Cloud City (Remix Compilation)                        150-115           
4A - Og Purp (Ennemi Remix)                                        Tha Trickaz feat. Creaky Jackals      Cloud City (Remix Compilation)                        128-150           
4A - Make Me Feel                                                  Toronto Is Broken                     You Are (Not) Alone                                   174-125-174       
10A - YES                                                          Bassnectar & Datsik                                                                         174-140           
11A - Mistakes Were Made - Mix Oct 4th                             Zack 'Centurion' Szamosvari                                                                 125-128           
9A - Danger! (Rough Mix 5)                                         giordash                              Danger! EP                                            140-110           
8 Bit Superhero (Original Mix)                                     Excision, Datsik                      Transitions                                           174-140           
6A - Ruff (Koven Remix)                                            Teknian                               Transitions                                           142-100           
8A - Black Clouds VIP (Original Mix)                               Delight, Naked Fish                   Transitions                                           144-110           
2A - Booyah feat. We Are Loud & Sonny Wilson (Original Mix)        Showtek, Sonny Wilson, We Are Loud    Booyah                                                128-160-128       
6A - Dosimeter (feat. Nick Thayer)                                 The Crystal Method                    The Crystal Method                                    130-110           
4A - Noise Complaint (Original Mix)                                Nato Feelz                            #YEAHBOY                                              110-140           
10B - Stranger                                                     Skrillex                              Recess                                                128-100           
6A - Blow Your Mind (Original Mix)                                 Tiesto, MOTI                          Blow Your Mind                                        128-110-128       
5A - Site Zero / The Vault                                         RL Grime                              Void                                                  125-95            
9A - Rude Boy feat. Omar LinX - Union Vocal Mix                    Zeds Dead                             Rude Boy                                              140-175           
5A - Right On Time (Original Mix)                                  12th Planet, Kill The Noise, Skrillex Bangarang EP                                          140-100-140       
All - Recess (Valentino Khan Remix)                                Skrillex & Kill The Noise             Recess Remixes                                        128-104           
11A - Deep Down Low (Getter Remix)                                 Valentino Khan                        Deep Down Low Remixes                                 126-140           
2A - Trip Like I Do                                                The Crystal Method                                                                          136-172           
9A - Brick                                                         12th Planet, Protohype & KillaGraham  Transitions - EP                                      128-140           
9A - Darkstar (Original Mix)                                       Datsik feat. Travis Barker & Liinks   Darkstar                                              100-140           
6A - Rumble - Mash Up Mix                                          DC Breaks, Reso, Vent                 Rumble - Mash Up Mix                                  136-172           
9A - Elekktroshockk - Original Mix                                 Dubsidia                              Pasta With Ganja                                      145-110           
1A - Tagtraum                                                      Camo & Krooked                        Mosaik                                                180-120           
4A - This World (Original Mix)                                     DJ Hidden                             This World                                            175- Break Speedup
11A/4A - Run For Rum                                               Subtension                            Binary: Codes                                         172-140           
11A/4A - Freak (Rickyxsan Remix) [feat. Steve Bays]                Steve Aoki, Diplo & Deorro            Random White Dude Be Everywhere                       140-100-140       
9A - You Suck                                                      Barely Alive                          Disciple X Miniladd                                   110-174           
9A - Mash Up The Place (A.M.C Remix)                               Riot Ten                              Hype Or Die: Genesis EP (Remixes)                     174-150-174       
4A - Arytmia                                                       The Prophecy                          20 Years                                              174 - BREAK       
6A - Thrawn [Mindscape Remix]                                      Pythius                               Descend Remixes Part 1                                174-128-174       
4A/6A - Vampire Hunter                                             Figure                                Monsters 10                                           174-112.5         
7A/8A - Keep It Up                                                 Neve & Was A Be                       Dreamcatcher Vol.4                                    170-140           
5A - Broken Mechanics                                              Exept & Oat                           Broken Mechanics // Attitude                          174-119.98        
2A - Calamity                                                      Restraint                             Wardance                                              171-140           
11A - Before I Go                                                  NCT                                   Astrophysical                                         170-140           
1A - Axion (KOAN Sound Remix)                                      Reso                                  Tangram Remixed                                       140-92            
7A - Substance (Muted Hue Remix)                                   C:Critz                               Substance EP                                          174-140           
9A - Fallout (Poni Remix)                                          Deadcrow                                                                                    140-105           
7A - Back It Up                                                    G-Rex & Sully                                                                               147-128           
9A - That Girl (Spor Remix)                                        Two Fingers feat. Sway                                                                      140-172           
6A - Hideous (Dr. Ozi Remix)                                       Black Sun Empire, Noisia                                                                    144-174           
6A - Noisebleed                                                    AKOV                                  Behemoth                                              172-140-172       
10A - Push                                                         BVSSIC                                A Blissful Gaze Of Ignorance EP (Disciple) DISC200    140-106           
Here's a Drive link to download it.

Now lads, help me expand it.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Are you looking for EDM or everything? DJ City always has a few, here's some that I remembered using and worked well:

If you want any of the above I can upload them (but not all at once, I have a really slow rural internet). I didn't use them much because I never actually listened to them to learn where it changes lol, but some are straight fire (The call me maybe speeds up the string hits nicely and the yeahx3 mash always killed it)

I have a couple more in breaks/trance/DnB/phonk&wave but it would take a lot of time to find & effort to recall.

fake edit: Used these a few times for something [slightly] more underground...

Trance 140 to 170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul84cez55Ak

DnB to Electro House 175-131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFRP2X679Mo

I had a few on vinyl too but they were more top 40 record pool stuff

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Righteous, thanks!

That Polygon remix is one of my favourites and I think I've mentioned why before ITT: metric modulation. Its tempo doesn't actually speed up or slow down at all, instead the rhythm drops out and that dotted-note synth plays on its own for a bit and then a new rhythm comes in redefining the dotted notes as eighth notes at a different tempo.

Brilliant stuff, really. I think Dirtyphonics have other tunes like this as well, I've been meaning to go over their catalogue again and find them.

A bit of shameless self-insert here; about a decade ago when I was actually writing poo poo, I wrote this tune which might be the best thing I've ever done. I think it goes from 174 to 135, it's been a while.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 29, 2022

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I hate that dirtyphonics song lol. The tempo transition with the cool musical theory stuff on the second drop just sounds like a dj train wrecking a mix!

E: actually I like the part that’s a house version of polygon. It’s just that awful second drop completely kills the song for me

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Ohhh I forgot about these heavy weapons to get into DnB:

The Autobots - Release the Beast {the entire comp is killer if you like this style}
heavy breaks 140 - 178
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSM2waSl24E

J Kong & Kyst Cortez - 9mm {you'd like this one Mister Speaker, as long as you can get over British rapping}
UK garage/Grimey 138-172
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVsf4KYlRs

Might just edit this post if I find more, and I'll just tinyurl the youtbe so yall don't have to scroll

Dyzphoria - All My Friends Are Dead [wave/witchhousey 149-139 drop]
https://youtu.be/LTKx4lxL6r8

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 1, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I can totally see why you'd say that. It's a difficult thing to pull off in an EDM context, whereas a band can introduce a rhythmic motif more subtly and organically play off of one another to make it feel seamless, in a world where everything is locked to grid and the guiding principle of the music is "dance to this rhythm," it's jarring and weird to say "... no no wait, dance to this one now."

Arguably, at least these days, the only reason that ShockOne remix works is because everyone knows what's coming. The question is, will the DJ use the transition to continue mixing ~House tempo, or wait it out for the second drop?

That's sort of why I'm constantly on the hunt for more transition tracks, I really don't like doing it myself with the pitch fader - not that I'm incapable, far from it but I think it just sounds bad.

Now that you mention it though, a big part of why I'm on the hunt again for transition tracks, is that all of the ones in my plist seem to suffer from just being too heavy. It's all bigroom primetime 2.5kHz-heavy slammed poo poo. I want more transition tracks that are less balls-out, more minimal.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

. I want more transition tracks that are less balls-out, more minimal.

https://astralplanerecordings.bandcamp.com/track/heffalump this feels like it goes from 100ish to 160ish but its not really a tempo change

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

https://astralplanerecordings.bandcamp.com/track/heffalump this feels like it goes from 100ish to 160ish but its not really a tempo change

I always wondered what that cd that came with the calculus textbook sounded like

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

I always wondered what that cd that came with the calculus textbook sounded like

I've never actually mixed it through, its always just been a weird inbetween thing. The B side is a really great breaky track and gets a lot of play from me

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I avoid transition tracks as a rule because Traktor is a piece of poo poo that can’t handle dynamic beat grids and that’s what I practice on but I do have this one sitting in my library taking up space. Mid energy house to 7/10 energy dnb.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnB/comments/10gq0q/julio_bashmore_battle_for_middle_you_the_funk/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Looks like the tune is gone from SoundCloud :(

I've been loving with transition tracks since before I moved to Rekordbox. Traktor's lack of dynamic grids is a bitch but it's workable. You just have to absolutely know you're dealing with a tempo change (that's why all my transition tracks ONLY go in the transitions playlist and the tempo change is written to their comments field), and forget about anything relying on a grid until it's mixed out.

Rekordbox supports dynamic grid, but man is it confusing. I usually don't bother with matching the grid on ramp up/down sections, and only recently have started putting the second tempo into the grid at the second drop or wherever it sticks. It was mad useful for one section of a recent OPS mix where I had to actually use Sync for the first time.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

After almost a year of trying to either find a genre or play open format I think I'm going to focus myself on Bass House.
How do I get more immersed in the history of the genre? Beatport is good for new releases, but I'd like some way to surface older classics.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2022

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Bass House is relatively recent stuff. Probably became a “thing” in like 2016. Start with old ac slater, tchami, jack beats, joyryde. Night bass has had a weeklyish show for the entire time. Theyre probably the most recognizable bass house label. Listening to a few of those from different years will give you some history too.

E: be aware that bass house has an atrocious noise to signal ratio. Be prepared to hear some garbage

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 11, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If U like Bass House U might also enjoy this thing that's been around for a long time called Breaks. Unless you're married to the four-on-the-floor kick rhythm, there are lots of Breakbeat tunes you'd probably really dig; the genre carries a similar sound palette and clearly had a strong influence on lots of Bass House artists. Great for spicing up a set that's mostly House tunes.

Check out Stanton Warriors, Left/Right, Nixon, Colombo, Nikki Nair, Uberzone, or any of the Hot Cakes mixes by Deekline.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I thought it had its roots in speed garage? Was it just dormant from 2000-2016?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Dr Fresch and Bijou

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

If U like Bass House U might also enjoy this thing that's been around for a long time called Breaks. Unless you're married to the four-on-the-floor kick rhythm, there are lots of Breakbeat tunes you'd probably really dig; the genre carries a similar sound palette and clearly had a strong influence on lots of Bass House artists. Great for spicing up a set that's mostly House tunes.

Check out Stanton Warriors, Left/Right, Nixon, Colombo, Nikki Nair, Uberzone, or any of the Hot Cakes mixes by Deekline.

What if I wanna go crazy with the tempo and throw some breakcore at em?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

What if I wanna go crazy with the tempo and throw some breakcore at em?

You do you! I'd be impressed to see that pulled off.

In a similar vein, a friend took me out to an underground Techno party last night, and while I did have a fantastic time, I was reminded of why Techno is one of my least favourite genres to hear DJs play out. I realize that's painting with extremely broad strokes - there are absolutely Techno subgenres I enjoy (usually the breaksy stuff) and even in the pummelling 4x4 kick domain there are some very cool sound textures and uses of space. But listening to boomy kickdrums all night is kind of exhausting, and a lot of the Techno DJs I've seen take... very strong liberties in their sets that irk me, like playing 135BPM tunes at 160, extremely wide tempo changes between songs, and throwing the idea of musical phrasing out the window - some transitions would even come in on the eighth note, which is not quite 'boots in a dryer' but very clangy to me.

To each their own, of course. It was certainly a vibe.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I really liked Any Act and Locked Club on STVOL. Driving Russian techno is for sure a vibe. IDK if I could go more than a set of it.

Edit: Also is Tek a techno subgenre or what people are calling happy hardcore these days? I've heard both.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 11, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

You do you! I'd be impressed to see that pulled off.

In a similar vein, a friend took me out to an underground Techno party last night, and while I did have a fantastic time, I was reminded of why Techno is one of my least favourite genres to hear DJs play out. I realize that's painting with extremely broad strokes - there are absolutely Techno subgenres I enjoy (usually the breaksy stuff) and even in the pummelling 4x4 kick domain there are some very cool sound textures and uses of space. But listening to boomy kickdrums all night is kind of exhausting, and a lot of the Techno DJs I've seen take... very strong liberties in their sets that irk me, like playing 135BPM tunes at 160, extremely wide tempo changes between songs, and throwing the idea of musical phrasing out the window - some transitions would even come in on the eighth note, which is not quite 'boots in a dryer' but very clangy to me.

To each their own, of course. It was certainly a vibe.

They just sound like bad DJs! As someone who loves techno that would give me the shits.

I do love playing old fast songs slow sometimes though. Mainly because everyone isn't on trucker speed any more.

Edit: the only bad time I have had was at a club where the DJ was just playing tech house same bpm all night and same transition each song: track b bass cut 4 bars, both tracks bass cut 4 bars, bring in track b's bass.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

i love breaks but people just get turned off by/don't know how to dance to anything that isn't a 4 on the floor or maybe a 2-step. you can see their brains melt in real time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

abuse culture. posted:

i love breaks but people just get turned off by/don't know how to dance to anything that isn't a 4 on the floor or maybe a 2-step. you can see their brains melt in real time

When my favorite jungle night switched to 2 step and uk garage back in the day it made all the old heads super mad but attendance like doubled. Really fast music is for nerds, at least in the US. There was that early 2000s DJ Icey Baby Anne style breaks from Florida that got some traction and drunk people can definitely dance to it. My favorite will always be the City of Angels/Rampant sound that was kind of acid house/trance breaks but that’s probably because I’m from California where it was most popular.

Also I didn’t really “get” techno until I went to Berlin, the basement at Tresor changed my taste forever. The DJs were so good at filtering and blending the tracks so they were constantly changing and you didn’t get bored.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

abuse culture. posted:

Bass House is relatively recent stuff. Probably became a “thing” in like 2016. Start with old ac slater, tchami, jack beats, joyryde. Night bass has had a weeklyish show for the entire time. Theyre probably the most recognizable bass house label. Listening to a few of those from different years will give you some history too.

E: be aware that bass house has an atrocious noise to signal ratio. Be prepared to hear some garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSuxczSbrg
I knew from the intro that this was to be a banger and I was not wrong.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
I have to say I feel like there's been an uptick in just pushing the BPMs higher, at least in my neck of the woods (Berlin + Eastern Europe). Playing trance tracks in techno/house sets has been a thing for while now, but 135-140 being jacked up in techno nights feels like a thing now too. Industrial Strength is playable again! Reminds me of the old late 90s tech house in the UK where every single track was played +6-8%, Terry Francis Essential Mix a good example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Happy hardcore is coming back baby